June 27, 2024, 09:30:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14907 14908 14909 14910 14911 14912 14913 14914 14915 14916 14917 14918 14919 14920 14921 14922 14923 14924 14925 14926 14927 14928 14929 14930 14931 14932 14933 14934 14935 14936 14937 14938 14939 14940 14941 14942 14943 14944 14945 14946 14947 14948 14949 14950 14951 14952 14953 14954 14955 14956 [14957] 14958 14959 14960 14961 14962 14963 14964 14965 14966 14967 14968 14969 14970 14971 14972 14973 14974 14975 14976 14977 14978 14979 14980 14981 14982 14983 14984 14985 14986 14987 14988 14989 14990 14991 14992 14993 14994 14995 14996 14997 14998 14999 15000 15001 15002 15003 15004 15005 15006 15007 ... 33487 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26407508 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1116

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:13:47 PM

Statement today from Prohashing:

We're a business. Altcoins are now cheaper to use than bitcoin. Therefore, we use altcoins wherever possible. Businesses exist to earn money, and bitcoin is now cutting into our profits by siphoning off fees and wasting developer time in answering angry customer service "you're stealing my money because I never received it!" E-Mails.
This original post isn't some deceit to try to game people into buying or using altcoins for whatever reason. It's simply a statement that we can provide better service by issuing payouts in litecoin or any of these other networks. If we can encourage people to use altcoins, we can increase everyone's profit by cutting fees, and we can also write more features because we won't have to spend time reassuring customers that we aren't thieves.
Feel free to disagree on the merits of the post, but I don't think it's helpful to assume bad faith.

Live and learn Undecided
hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:18:42 PM

Can't wait until small block retards are proved to be irresponsible idiots by empirical data points.

We should make a list of them, so in the future we will never forget who they were and humiliate them forever.

There's no such thing as a small block retard.

People have ideas and inclinations based on information that they have, and there's a lot of misinformation out there regarding what's even going on with the block chain; how much is spam, whether an increase is currently justified and/or wether segregated witness will take care of some if not all of this spamming blockage to the extent blockage exists and if not what would be better additional solutions going forward once segregated witness is in place.
Yeah people have different ideas and most of them are dumb ideas.

That's why it's important to relie on the empirical facts to judge who are right and who are the fucking irresponsible retards. It's darwinian selection. It's a process way more efficient than pointless debating.

So now we are going to see that full block are not good at all and see who were the dangerous retards who thought full blocks were somehow cool.

It's like the bolcheviks. They have ideas and they thought they were right. They talked badly of people who disagree with them. Then the testing of their ideas prove that they were huge retards and that they had their head full shit. Gmaxwell and Adam Back are the Lenin of their time. The sooner the market route around them, the better.

It seems to me you have a very precise idea of your own position at least.

I don't have such brutal and clear opinion on this issue. And from the grasp of complexity I was able to see, it seems impossible for me to have a clear point of view of the situation as we're still lacking data.

Yeah small blocks have problems, but what do you want? Bigger and bigger blocks? You do realize that in order to scale the Visa transactions we would need 800GB blocks... Seems complicated to me...

Yep. In that respect, when dealing with money and likely to continue to be attacked by governments and financial institutions, security is much more important than trying to grow too fast and to act as if you are visa when you don't have institutionalized protections.
Size is the most powerful protection. The most economic transactions flow through Bitcoin the harder it is to attack it.

"Trying to grow too fast"  Cheesy Transactions double every year. That's just natural growth. If you don't like growth go use some altcoins before Bitcoin become one.

Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:21:21 PM

We're a business. Altcoins are now cheaper to use than bitcoin. Therefore, we use altcoins wherever possible. Businesses exist to earn money, and bitcoin is now cutting into our profits by siphoning off fees and wasting developer time in answering angry customer service "you're stealing my money because I never received it!" E-Mails.
This original post isn't some deceit to try to game people into buying or using altcoins for whatever reason. It's simply a statement that we can provide better service by issuing payouts in litecoin or any of these other networks. If we can encourage people to use altcoins, we can increase everyone's profit by cutting fees, and we can also write more features because we won't have to spend time reassuring customers that we aren't thieves.
Feel free to disagree on the merits of the post, but I don't think it's helpful to assume bad faith.

Live and learn Undecided

This could be the turning point, altcoins that can be easily converted into fiat start to replace bitcoin.
Early adopters see the danger and start hedging, that is... dumping bitcoins! Cheesy
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:21:56 PM

Live and learn Undecided

It would be helpful to acknowledge that Prohashing is a scrypt mining pool for altcoin mining. What a shocking statement coming from them  Roll Eyes  Let me know when Coinbase, bitpay or any other large merchant starts recommending an alt.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:25:11 PM

It would be helpful to acknowledge that Prohashing is a scrypt mining pool for altcoin mining. What a shocking statement coming from them  Roll Eyes  Let me know when Coinbase, bitpay or any other large merchant starts recommending an alt.

Point taken. But did they used to pay out in Bitcoin? If so, it is one valid data point.

Even in a great upheaval, the movement happens at the margins. Best stay alert.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Merit: 1116

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:26:49 PM

Point taken. But did they used to pay out in Bitcoin? If so, it is one valid data point.

Charlie Lee’s been trying to sell Brian Armstrong on adding Litecoin. If demand keeps growing for alts because of this I imagine it’s only a matter of time.
stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2016, 05:29:25 PM

Another polite warning to diversify in to ETH. 
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:33:49 PM

They pay out in multiple alts . If their margins are so tight that they cannot afford an extra 3-4 pennies per tx for a small group of users than that is certainly troubling. They should simply pass on that fee to their clients if they cannot afford it because many clients are dumping a portion of these mined alts for btc anyways and it is less expensive to pay 4 pennies more than any exchange fee.

Charlie Lee’s been trying to sell Brian Armstrong on adding Litecoin. If demand keeps growing for alts because of this I imagine it’s only a matter of time.

That would be shocking ... but welcome ... perhaps litecoin can implement some of those large blocks they want as well... it would be a good idea and good testbed as litecoin appears to be uninteresting and with little utility.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:34:38 PM

Another polite warning to diversify in to ETH. 

An extremely polite warning to drop the spamming.
bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:36:08 PM

Won't you just post another rolly-eyes emoji & cry claim the merchant isn't large enough/spreading FUD?

... If their margins are so tight that they cannot afford an extra 3-4 pennies per tx for a small group of users than that is certainly troubling. They should simply pass on that fee to their clients if they cannot afford it because many clients are dumping a portion of these mined alts for btc anyways and it is less expensive to pay 4 pennies more than any exchange fee.
They have too many clients, most probably poors -- don't want to spam up Blogchain.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:49:14 PM

That would be shocking ... but welcome ... perhaps litecoin can implement some of those large blocks they want as well... it would be a good idea and good testbed as litecoin appears to be uninteresting and with little utility.

I would find it pretty amusing if all the hostile arseholes squabbling in Bitcoinland were abandoned completely by the people who really count - the users.

It sets a dangerous precedent though. How do we know something like LTC or any other alt can handle the pressure? It's had a very relaxing life so far. They all have the luxury of lack of spotlight. The same old shit would pop up wherever the heat was pointed.

There should've been more vision when Bitcoin was still under the radar. All this crap is firefighting when it should have been set up to cruise into the future by this point.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:49:34 PM

Live and learn Undecided

Lol... The last 4 LTC blocks (the equivalent of 1 BTC block), LTC had 4-2-3-6 txs, of which 4 are the block rewards (so actual txs = 11).

Last BTC block had over 2000 txs. It's averaging between 2k and 3k txs per block (last 6: 2165/3079/2496/2300/2782/3012).
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:56:43 PM

I would find it pretty amusing if all the hostile arseholes squabbling in Bitcoinland were abandoned completely by the people who really count - the users.

It sets a dangerous precedent though. How do we know something like LTC or any other alt can handle the pressure? It's had a very relaxing life so far. They all have the luxury of lack of spotlight. The same old shit would pop up wherever the heat was pointed.

There should've been more vision when Bitcoin was still under the radar. All this crap is firefighting when it should have been set up to cruise into the future by this point.

I know you may find this shocking , but I want you to be happy and find a coin that suits your needs, and the evidence thus far reflects a majority of the users, miners, and developers support cores scaling plan for now. If this situation were reversed than I would be happy as well as I am not principally motivated by getting rich quickly or going mainstream immediately at all costs.

With or without each other, 1 coin or two ... what matters most is consumer choice and the freedom to follow through on a project that interests oneself and aligns with ones values.

Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 05:59:02 PM

One good thing though: there seems to be remarkably few empty blocks in the last hours.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 06:00:42 PM

Coin

Explanation
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10443

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 06:02:29 PM

Can't wait until small block retards are proved to be irresponsible idiots by empirical data points.

We should make a list of them, so in the future we will never forget who they were and humiliate them forever.

People have ideas and inclinations based on information that they have, and there's a lot of misinformation out there regarding what's even going on with the block chain; how much is spam, whether an increase is currently justified and/or wether segregated witness will take care of some if not all of this spamming blockage to the extent blockage exists and if not what would be better additional solutions going forward once segregated witness is in place.

That's why it's important to relie on the empirical facts to judge who are right and who are the fucking irresponsible retards. It's darwinian selection. It's a process way more efficient than pointless debating.

So now we are going to see that full block are not good at all and see who were the dangerous retards who thought full blocks were somehow cool.

It's like the bolcheviks. They have ideas and they thought they were right. They talked badly of people who disagree with them. Then the testing of their ideas prove that they were huge retards and that they had their head full shit. Gmaxwell and Adam Back are the Lenin of their time. The sooner the market route around them, the better.

I don't have such brutal and clear opinion on this issue. And from the grasp of complexity I was able to see, it seems impossible for me to have a clear point of view of the situation as we're still lacking data.

Yeah small blocks have problems, but what do you want? Bigger and bigger blocks? You do realize that in order to scale the Visa transactions we would need 800GB blocks... Seems complicated to me...

Yep. In that respect, when dealing with money and likely to continue to be attacked by governments and financial institutions, security is much more important than trying to grow too fast and to act as if you are visa when you don't have institutionalized protections.
Size is the most powerful protection. The most economic transactions flow through Bitcoin the harder it is to attack it.

"Trying to grow too fast"  Cheesy Transactions double every year. That's just natural growth. If you don't like growth go use some altcoins before Bitcoin become one.

You are ridiculous.

You are not saying much of anything in your above post.. or at least whatever you seem to be saying is quite unclear.  You seem to be attempting to suggest that currently bitcoin is suffering from some kind of pending emergency, when actually the opposite is the case, and bitcoin happens to be super secure with a tremendous amount of hashing power.. which is really a great thing to have during such infancy years and while bitcoin is still suffering multiple spam / ddos attacks (and still remaining robust under such attacks).

O.k.  let me presume that you are a supporter of XT and or classic.  Just for a moment, if we remove their fatal flaws (that is their attempts to make changes to bitcoin governance), and we only focus on their blocksize change proposals, then we see that XT had a schedule of changes (doubling the blocksize limit every couple of years), and classic had an immediate blocksize limit increase.

What are you saying that you want?

Are you only talking about blocksize limit increases, or are you talking about governance?  You seem to be using words to talk about blocksize limit increase, but your insistence on such (seemingly right away) makes it sound as if you have a hidden agenda and what you really want is some kind of change to bitcoin governance.. which is a much more complicated issue.

So clearly state exactly what you are proposing and why the current path of implementing seg wit first is supposedly not sufficient in order to achieve what you want?  Hello goofball.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 06:06:19 PM

One good thing though: there seems to be remarkably few empty blocks in the last hours.

Antpool was getting a nice ribbing today for mining empty blocks because they don't want to pause their miners for a few seconds. Perhaps they stopped , but comments on twitter suggested they will continue this practice most have avoided lately regardless of it limiting the capacity of the network. Somewhat hypocritical being they are one of the more sympathetic large pools to classic besides slush.... but as Satoshi envisioned, we should be fine with security even if miners are selfishly competing for their own self interest and care little about the ecosystem.  

Is this what the dreaded "fee market event" or "blockopolapse" is supposed to look like? My txs are immediately confirming on the next block with 4-6 pennies more than the average last week? Any more predictions for the end of the world?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 10443

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 06:09:04 PM

... Bitcoin is not currently broken in spite the many loud mouth fudding about Bitcoin supposedly being broken.

Lambie... you certainly have your moments of not hilariousness, yet I wonder why the mods let you stick around this thread (and this forum) for so long when it seems fairly obvious that you are just here to troll and to fill up the thread with your various "entertaining"  and distracting nonsense.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 06:13:36 PM

Antpool was getting a nice ribbing today for mining empty blocks because they don't want to pause their miners for a few seconds. Perhaps they stopped , but comments on twitter suggested they will continue this practice most have avoided lately regardless of it limiting the capacity of the network. Somewhat hypocritical being they are one of the more sympathetic large pools to classic besides slush.... but as Satoshi envisioned, we should be fine with security even if miners are selfishly competing for their own self interest and care little about the ecosystem.  

Is this what the dreaded "fee market event" or "blockopolapse" is supposed to look like? My txs are immediately confirming on the next block with 4-6 pennies more than the average last week? Any more predictions for the end of the world?

Last week it was at 40-50 satoshi/byte, now it's at 60 satoshi/byte (actually the 51-60 range has 0 wait), so it's unikely you are paying 4-6 pennies more (unless your wallet is overpaying). More like 0-2.

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 01, 2016, 06:15:43 PM

You are ridiculous.

You are not saying much of anything in your above post.. or at least whatever you seem to be saying is quite unclear.  You seem to be attempting to suggest that currently bitcoin is suffering from some kind of pending emergency, when actually the opposite is the case, and bitcoin happens to be super secure with a tremendous amount of hashing power.. which is really a great thing to have during such infancy years and while bitcoin is still suffering multiple spam / ddos attacks (and still remaining robust under such attacks).

O.k.  let me presume that you are a supporter of XT and or classic.  Just for a moment, if we remove their fatal flaws (that is their attempts to make changes to bitcoin governance), and we only focus on their blocksize change proposals, then we see that XT had a schedule of changes (doubling the blocksize limit every couple of years), and classic had an immediate blocksize limit increase.

What are you saying that you want?

Are you only talking about blocksize limit increases, or are you talking about governance?  You seem to be using words to talk about blocksize limit increase, but your insistence on such (seemingly right away) makes it sound as if you have a hidden agenda and what you really want is some kind of change to bitcoin governance.. which is a much more complicated issue.

So clearly state exactly what you are proposing and why the current path of implementing seg wit first is supposedly not sufficient in order to achieve what you want?  Hello goofball.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Governance and blocksize issues are connected.

If we are stuck today with 1Mb it's because Back, Maxwell and Hill want it like that. Their vision, and agenda, is to make Bitcoin a clearinghouse.

I think this is the dumbest idea ever. I will do everything that I can to make their plan fail in order to protect the value of my bictoins and to protect the value Bitcoin could offer to mankind.

By raising the blocksize limit right now with Classic, we would let Bitcoin breath and quietly growth, and we would get rid of those toxic people.

It's not a problem if people choose to stay with Core for now though. What is important is the choice to hard fork our way out of the power of Back/Maxwell/Hill exists. And the more economic reality will hit the face of small blockists with rising fees, disgruntled users and altcoin market cap exploding, the less the support for Core there will be.

Until the day where the HF will happen because bitcoiners will see the light and stopped being fooled by Blockstream. Meanwhile I will be there all along to explain how dumd Back and Maxwell are so their support start to crumble sooner rather than later.
Pages: « 1 ... 14907 14908 14909 14910 14911 14912 14913 14914 14915 14916 14917 14918 14919 14920 14921 14922 14923 14924 14925 14926 14927 14928 14929 14930 14931 14932 14933 14934 14935 14936 14937 14938 14939 14940 14941 14942 14943 14944 14945 14946 14947 14948 14949 14950 14951 14952 14953 14954 14955 14956 [14957] 14958 14959 14960 14961 14962 14963 14964 14965 14966 14967 14968 14969 14970 14971 14972 14973 14974 14975 14976 14977 14978 14979 14980 14981 14982 14983 14984 14985 14986 14987 14988 14989 14990 14991 14992 14993 14994 14995 14996 14997 14998 14999 15000 15001 15002 15003 15004 15005 15006 15007 ... 33487 »
  Print  

Jump to: