May 06, 2024, 09:40:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 [357] 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 ... 33328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26373135 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
sarc

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:51:01 PM

If it does not go back down I will not buy in ... it just seems too risky for me at this price whatever anyone wants to say about fundamentals, future growth etc ... I just can't bring myself to do it. If I miss the opportunity to ride the train so be it ... worse things have already happened in my life.

This is pretty much exactly what I told my girlfriend when she finally asked why she wasn't getting hourly bitcoin updates anymore!

Though obviously, her eyes had glazed over before I finished the first sentence...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:52:25 PM

Slightly contrarian, not trying to scare anyone, just giving the opinion of someone who is new to Bitcoin (about 6 weeks of exposure) and thinking about not jumping on board unless we go down significantly from here.

I was thinking the same of you on last december of 2012 when i discovered Bitcoin, at the time i purchased (january) the price was already 13.20$/BTC.

I was not sure to invest or not, at that outrageous price of (13$) that seemed a bubble to me.

You know what happended after that, boom to 266$!

Glad i buy some 500 cheap coins months back, i don't mind if they devalue to 30$ again  Wink

115$ are cheap coins right now, and 500$ will be cheap in a few months, until Bitcoin discover his real price, i say at least 100,000$ each Wink

People need to realize that 21 million coins (11 currently) is NOT a lot of coins and the more popular and the more people adopt bitcoins the higher the value will get and we should be thinking about mB instead of a whole bitcoin.
Just compared bitcoin to any shares from any company. 21 million is not a whole lot!
I'm surprised when people are expecting to see $40 again, but I guess those are the ones who missed the boat and now they are just in wishful thinking mode... I get it.
115 is a perfect price for right now and I can live with that. maybe in 6-8 months we'll see another big jump for now, 115-120 makes sense.
I used to have an exit strategy and I chose to go the trader way, now my exit strategy is simply to make money by trading while slowly increasing my coin stock as well and it's been paying off.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:54:13 PM

If it does not go back down I will not buy in ... it just seems too risky for me at this price whatever anyone wants to say about fundamentals, future growth etc ... I just can't bring myself to do it. If I miss the opportunity to ride the train so be it ... worse things have already happened in my life.

This is pretty much exactly what I told my girlfriend when she finally asked why she wasn't getting hourly bitcoin updates anymore!

Though obviously, her eyes had glazed over before I finished the first sentence...

Maybe you just do not understand the potential.

Think about what people was saying about $10 coins in 2011, after the bubble to $32

Chooooo chooooo

Grin

Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:55:28 PM

I'm actually quite fine with the price being stable around 115-120, now you can finally actually pay for things using Bitcoin without worrying about the price fluctuating so much. Yesterday I paid for the Humble Bundle using Bitcoin, then I bought coffee and now I was just about to re-new my server subscription and what do I see?

It's....it's beautiful!  Shocked

That's great ... you are actually spending your Bitcoins ... most people seem to only want to hold them til they reach the moon
And the 3% discount is great ... should probably cover all the slippage involved in buying Bitcoins in the first place

These obstacles need to be removed ...

Seems something like Ripple could really help Bitcoin.  It's easy to get into and you can trade XRPs for Bitcoins.  Lot's of kinks to work out in crypto...despite some pessimism...crypto is here to stay and I love the thoughts of the future.
phoenix1

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:56:07 PM

Lol ... you are lucky she's stuck around this long ...

Not now baby ... Bitcoins going crazy
No I can't wash the car ... I've got to watch the price
Damn missed it again ... you should have seen the price action
etc
etc
fitty

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:57:32 PM

We were at $165 post crash.

So the biggest risk to the market is everyone who bought in at $200-$260, who are just waiting to dump everything and exit? So wait, they rode out the biggest BTC crash in history, wait 3 months, just to sell at a loss when the price is getting back up to where they bought in? That seems like poor financial planning.

They dump coins, leave the market, people buy them up, it's not really that big of a deal. It's been going on daily for the last 2 months.

That discounts everyone who bought in at $200-$260 and are sitting on huge losses right now.  I'd assume most are looking to bail out of this market as soon as possible but have no choice but to pray for some sort of increase to at least minimize the damage.  If we should see a spike back to $160-$180, I'd expect a flood of selling at the peak as people cut their losses and run for the hills.  Don't think I need to specify what happens to the markets next...
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 03:58:16 PM

Slightly contrarian, not trying to scare anyone, just giving the opinion of someone who is new to Bitcoin (about 6 weeks of exposure) and thinking about not jumping on board unless we go down significantly from here.

I was thinking the same of you on last december of 2012 when i discovered Bitcoin, at the time i purchased (january) the price was already 13.20$/BTC.

I was not sure to invest or not, at that outrageous price of (13$) that seemed a bubble to me.

You know what happended after that, boom to 266$!

Glad i buy some 500 cheap coins months back, i don't mind if they devalue to 30$ again  Wink

115$ are cheap coins right now, and 500$ will be cheap in a few months, until Bitcoin discover his real price, i say at least 100,000$ each Wink

People need to realize that 21 million coins (11 currently) is NOT a lot of coins and the more popular and the more people adopt bitcoins the higher the value will get and we should be thinking about mB instead of a whole bitcoin.
Just compared bitcoin to any shares from any company. 21 million is not a whole lot!
I'm surprised when people are expecting to see $40 again, but I guess those are the ones who missed the boat and now they are just in wishful thinking mode... I get it.
115 is a perfect price for right now and I can live with that. maybe in 6-8 months we'll see another big jump for now, 115-120 makes sense.
I used to have an exit strategy and I chose to go the trader way, now my exit strategy is simply to make money by trading while slowly increasing my coin stock as well and it's been paying off.

Wouldn't the markets have to make this transition in trading.  Kind of like a stock split to switch over to mBits or how would this work?  Oh and congrats on your continued success.
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:01:12 PM

So the biggest risk to the market is everyone who bought in at $200-$260, who are just waiting to dump everything and exit? So wait, they rode out the biggest BTC crash in history, wait 3 months, just to sell at a loss when the price is getting back up to where they bought in? That seems like poor financial planning.

They dump coins, leave the market, people buy them up, it's not really that big of a deal. It's been going on daily for the last 2 months.

That discounts everyone who bought in at $200-$260 and are sitting on huge losses right now.  I'd assume most are looking to bail out of this market as soon as possible but have no choice but to pray for some sort of increase to at least minimize the damage.  If we should see a spike back to $160-$180, I'd expect a flood of selling at the peak as people cut their losses and run for the hills.  Don't think I need to specify what happens to the markets next...

I didn't say this was the biggest risk to the market, I said your comments don't take this into account.  No, it is not sound financial planning but I'd say those who bought in at $260, were not making a wise financial decision to begin with.  Unless of course they are planning to go long, which at this point in time, no one knows if it will be the greatest decision of all time or a flop.  But let's not pretend there isn't plenty of money that saw the huge rise and jumped in on pure greed, hoping to not miss the train and will look to cut their losses if they can.  That was my only point.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:02:56 PM

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:03:02 PM

etc
etc

Mine is actually interested. which is even worse:

me: [long-winded explanation that explains why I expect btc market cap to be at least as big as market cap of a company like Paypal in the medium term]

she: but from what you described, btc is a like a currency. then why do you compare it to the market cap of a  company, based on share price?

me: damn woman. why do you ask difficult questions? can't you just cheer me on?
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:04:36 PM

This is a statement made on emotion and not facts.  I agree with this:

Yes, you are right, it's an emotion Smiley As valid as TA aka self induced prophecies as i call they , at least for me  Smiley

In the end the only fact is never will be more than 21 millions.

Don't get me wrong, the potential is definatly there.  We all get that.  But ALOT has to go right and almost nothing can go majorly wrong for this to be true.  These are of course my opinions and I'll be PROUD to eat crow if $100k coins becomes a reality.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2013, 04:05:07 PM

I've seen all the $500, $1000 and even $300k coin statements.  I truly hope that happens for people but if that's the case, who are these people paying $500-$300k per coin?  Because I know who it's not going to be.   Roll Eyes

As far as I understood this, your problem is the psychological barrier of "one unit for over 100 dollar", right? But does it really matter? I don't care if I get 1 BTC for 100 $ or only 1 for 1000 $, all that matters for me is the relative value and it's change: 20 % value gain is 20 % value gain, even if I pay 300k $ for "one unit", isn't it?

But I feel with you. I support that mBTC "movement".
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:07:05 PM

etc
etc

Mine is actually interested. which is even worse:

me: [long-winded explanation that explains why I expect btc market cap to be at least as big as market cap of a company like Paypal in the medium term]

she: but from what you described, btc is a like a currency. then why do you compare it to the market cap of a  company, based on share price?

me: damn woman. why do you ask difficult questions? can't you just cheer me on?

Grin  

It's funny, I worked pretty hard convincing the wife and as I've started to pull back a bit, the same conversations are happening.  I literally laughed out loud when I read your post.  Now the pressure is coming from her instead of the other way around.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:09:14 PM

That discounts everyone who bought in at $200-$260 and are sitting on huge losses right now.  I'd assume most are looking to bail out of this market as soon as possible but have no choice but to pray for some sort of increase to at least minimize the damage.  If we should see a spike back to $160-$180, I'd expect a flood of selling at the peak as people cut their losses and run for the hills.  Don't think I need to specify what happens to the markets next...

I didn't say this was the biggest risk to the market, I said your comments don't take this into account.  No, it is not sound financial planning but I'd say those who bought in at $260, were not making a wise financial decision to begin with.  Unless of course they are planning to go long, which at this point in time, no one knows if it will be the greatest decision of all time or a flop.  But let's not pretend there isn't plenty of money that saw the huge rise and jumped in on pure greed, hoping to not miss the train and will look to cut their losses if they can.  That was my only point.

Do not worry $260 are quite cheap coins.
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:11:43 PM

I hope you're right because I see everyone here as early adopters and then there are the prehistoric adopters.   Grin  I don't want ANYONE to lose.  This whole convo is simply a glimpse of the sentiment of some not buying or waiting for lower prices.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:16:24 PM

I hope you're right because I see everyone here as early adopters and then there are the prehistoric adopters.   Grin  I don't want ANYONE to lose.  This whole convo is simply a glimpse of the sentiment of some not buying or waiting for lower prices.

I'm sure. It is very hard to destroy Bitcoin. But it is easy to manipulate people.
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:21:00 PM

I hope you're right because I see everyone here as early adopters and then there are the prehistoric adopters.   Grin  I don't want ANYONE to lose.  This whole convo is simply a glimpse of the sentiment of some not buying or waiting for lower prices.

I'm sure. It is very hard to destroy Bitcoin. But it is easy to manipulate people.

Yeah well I have my doubts about the legitimate effect of bitcointalk forum posts on the markets.  But if that's how people are making their buying and selling decisions, I guess more power to em.  We're just off topic because we're bored.   Tongue  I'm going to the beach...must..get...away!
phoenix1

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:23:17 PM

I don't want ANYONE to lose.  This whole convo is simply a glimpse of the sentiment of some not buying or waiting for lower prices.

Unfortunately I think that is the least likely outcome  Cheesy
But yes, the convo is a bit of the other side of why some of us are not buying now. A lot of people have been speculating as to why some may or may not buy, and that we would all chase after the train if we rally from here. Been hearing a lot of that the last few days.

Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:29:18 PM

I don't want ANYONE to lose.  This whole convo is simply a glimpse of the sentiment of some not buying or waiting for lower prices.

Unfortunately I think that is the least likely outcome  Cheesy
But yes, the convo is a bit of the other side of why some of us are not buying now. A lot of people have been speculating as to why some may or may not buy, and that we would all chase after the train if we rally from here. Been hearing a lot of that the last few days.

1. because big players created feeling of fear and pain by pumping and dumping.
2. they will collect cheap coins now. No one was willing to sell before :-)
michaelGedi

Activity: 364

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 04:33:49 PM
Last edit: May 11, 2013, 04:48:00 PM by michaelGedi

I hope you're right because I see everyone here as early adopters and then there are the prehistoric adopters.   Grin  I don't want ANYONE to lose.  This whole convo is simply a glimpse of the sentiment of some not buying or waiting for lower prices.

CASE STUDY - I bought in at 235. Pure greed. Before I even understood what bicoin truely was.

stop loss sold on the way down, luckily played the bounce from about $77 - $159... lost money in Bitcoin-24 fiasco, lost some profit in continued crashes after the $165 high.

BUT I'm not about to leave the market now that I know what bitcoin is... it's not about leaving the market and cutting losses... as far as I'm concerned once you are in you are in, once you understand bitcoin you have no real reason to totally leave the market. It's too much of a mental investment as well as financial.

After a month of chart watching, following news and learning more and more about the past and potential future of bitcoin, I decided that trading is not for me, it's a small part of the game. I just took 1/3 of my (now 25% up) money out of Gox via coins to Bitstamp and hopefully fiat in my account next couple weeks. The rest is all in, for the mid/long term. If Bitcoin-24 resolves it's banking issues and the market continues to price bitcoin lower, I'll use that money to buy more coins lower (as many people definitely want to do).

To me, unless you really think it's worth day trading bitcoin in the long term (which is probably the case for many in this subforum I know), that's the sort of thing anyone who's recently got involved with Bitcoin should be doing, making an investment and holding onto it, allowing the next 6 months to take it's course now that the world is paying attention and the infrastructure truely starts to develop.

Personally I'm emotionally and physically exhausted from my bitcoin discovery but there is no way I'm leaving the market, and this price seems fair... even if it drops to $50 it will most likely go up again anyway (touch wood). Even if it's not legitimised and the regulatory grey area resolved in the next 6 months, I'm sure there will be some use for it in the long run. But given the strength of the community and it's word wide nature, bitcoin will not fade away and I think many people should recognise that after having invested the time to understand what they are investing money in.

EDIT - having read a couple more of the recent posts in this thread, yes, it may also crash and burn into nothing, but how many of you thought that in 2011? From the media spin and the investments going on at the moment, I don't think it really will. Perhaps Im just trying to convince myself this risky investment is worth it. If that is so, I've done a good job.

excuse the long fairly off topic post
Pages: « 1 ... 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 [357] 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 ... 33328 »
  Print  

Jump to: