May 06, 2024, 06:43:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 [651] 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 ... 33328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26373052 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:20:11 PM

Someone's feeling bullish!

Based on the recent discussion, I would say almost everyone...

Not me, I'm still waiting.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:20:17 PM

I hope it was worth it selling into that wall at 115 yesterday.  Enjoy your evening, bear cubs.

Oh SNAP.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:20:51 PM

Looking at past action, you would always do well to hold (unless you can call those tops and bottoms like a pro - but do you want to get caught with your pants down considering what we are talking about with BTC?)

Interesting...
If really you want to be the careful type, shouldn't you wait on the sideline with your fiat ready, as price has a tendency to fall faster than going up?

There's always the fear of a black swan event rocketing bitcoin into the sky. I don't know why, but I think many bulls have this fear including myself. I don't like to sit on the sidelines for too long, I can sit out a weekend but that's it really. Tongue
Imagine selling all your BTC and then seeing the price just leave you behind, forever...? having to buy in at a massive loss or just accept it's game over, buy that ferrari you never really needed and not look back? Bitcoin is so... revolutionary... it's like being back in the early 90s before the internet took of... like buying shares in google, apple or facebook before mainstream adoption... I can't stomach staying out of this, bitcoin is my wildest fantasy coming true... this is why I am the careful type and hold 100% BTC  Smiley

It's better losing some fiat (temporary) than to end up with sellers remorse.

This!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

Looking at past action, you would always do well to hold (unless you can call those tops and bottoms like a pro - but do you want to get caught with your pants down considering what we are talking about with BTC?)

Interesting...
If really you want to be the careful type, shouldn't you wait on the sideline with your fiat ready, as price has a tendency to fall faster than going up?

not at this stage. we're still in the investment phase. bitcoins value is being bootstrapped, you want to hold on to what you got. Missing the train is just too expensive.

next up: while exchanges and other "bitcoin businesses" run into increasingly unbearable regulatory issues, the global shadow economy discovers bitcoin (international tade, illicit trade).
telemaco

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:22:52 PM

!!!!!!!!!

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:23:48 PM

It would be nice if we all could just agreed which direction we want the market to go, but then it would just become a game of chicken. The first to sell at the top to get the most, the last to sell at the bottom to lose the most, and then there's everyone in between, going along for the ride, prepared to cut their losses and take their gains. Perhaps uncertain stability isn't so bad after all.

oh look, we've got a "market"... all these people trading back and forth providing liquidity... until something fundamental changes.
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:27:25 PM

Someone's feeling bullish!

Based on the recent discussion, I would say almost everyone...

Not me, I'm still waiting.
I meant whoever just bought 1500BTC
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:33:15 PM

Interesting...

not at this stage. we're still in the investment phase. bitcoins value is being bootstrapped, you want to hold on to what you got. Missing the train is just too expensive.

next up: while exchanges and other "bitcoin businesses" run into increasingly unbearable regulatory issues, the global shadow economy discovers bitcoin (international tade, illicit trade).

Are you arguing that the price isn't usually going down faster than up?  Huh
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:35:45 PM

Interesting...

I'm feeling you. Bitcoin may not solve all the problems of the people, but it solves a few very real and very important problems the people has.

It's taking the power off the hands of those who control monetary supply and hence rule the world de facto.

It has such a huge potential tu subvert the status quo. And it's neutral.

Math is the language of nature, and one of its purest expressions is this piece of revolutionary Genius we call Bitcoin.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:38:24 PM

Interesting...

Are you arguing that the price isn't usually going down faster than up?  Huh

no

EDIT: what?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:39:06 PM

Interesting...

I'm feeling you. Bitcoin may not solve all the problems of the people, but it solves a few very real and very important problems the people has.

It's taking the power off the hands of those who control monetary supply and hence rule the world de facto.

It has such a huge potential tu subvert the status quo. And it's neutral.

Math is the language of nature, and one of its purest expressions is this piece of revolutionary Genius we call Bitcoin.

fuck yeah!
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:07:52 PM

I don't know about everyone else here but I always come away from this thread a bit......bipolar. Certainly not as bad as the shoutbox but still a bit noisy. Grain of salt everyone!  Grin
TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:08:18 PM

OMG OMG OMG OMG
Bitcoin is fluctuating in price 11%
SELL SELL SELL SELL
BUY BUY BUY BUY
OMG OMG OMG WHAT DO I DO?
SELL NO BUY NO SELL
IT'S GOING TO ZERO
IT'S GOING TO THE MOON LAST CHANCE FOR CHEAP COINS

Ughh that's all this thread is. As soon as the price drops bears are like sell its a bubble, when it goes up Bulls are like buy last chance for cheap coins.

Don't ever visit btc-e if you value your sanity.
EuroTrash

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:11:27 PM

Imagine selling all your BTC and then seeing the price just leave you behind, forever...? having to buy in at a massive loss or just accept it's game over, buy that ferrari you never really needed and not look back? Bitcoin is so... revolutionary... it's like being back in the early 90s before the internet took of... like buying shares in google, apple or facebook before mainstream adoption... I can't stomach staying out of this, bitcoin is my wildest fantasy coming true... this is why I am the careful type and hold 100% BTC  Smiley

I was like that. All in. Then my wallet's worth suddenly became worth just about a few decades of fiat savings with my job.  Shocked
Then April crash came. I couldn't sleep anymore. I was getting ill and turning into a zombie.
So I had to sell some coins. Take out what I put in - plus a proper premium for the hassle. Which I'm shopping for real estate with.
I know I miss on potential bigger gains. But if I'm unwell and die before becoming a big BTC millionaire all my waiting will just have been a sad mistake. My coins are not coming in the grave with me, for fuck's sake.

I still have a lot invested in crypto. But I can sleep at night. And I can laugh at price drops. And be here for the lulz, siding once with the bears and once with the bulls. Never invest what you can't afford to lose, so true and I had to learn the hard way.
michaelGedi

Activity: 364

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:13:00 PM

Hold on the motherfucking Bitcoin, he won't let you down, as he did not let down anyone with strong hands and cold mind since this baby was born in 2009

Don't be a pussy, Bitcoin will change the world, and the real winners in this game will be those who holded and increased their stashes crash after crash, bubble burst after bubble burst.

this, dude. this.

it's a revolution. a non-violent one. we can do it, we must.

the real winners are the people.

How do we get past bitstamps 130 wall though?

I don't think I've lolled harder on any post ever than this one Smiley  Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy Smiley
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:21:50 PM

Imagine selling all your BTC and then seeing the price just leave you behind, forever...? having to buy in at a massive loss or just accept it's game over, buy that ferrari you never really needed and not look back? Bitcoin is so... revolutionary... it's like being back in the early 90s before the internet took of... like buying shares in google, apple or facebook before mainstream adoption... I can't stomach staying out of this, bitcoin is my wildest fantasy coming true... this is why I am the careful type and hold 100% BTC  Smiley

I was like that. All in. Then my wallet's worth suddenly became worth just about a few decades of fiat savings with my job.  Shocked
Then April crash came. I couldn't sleep anymore. I was getting ill and turning into a zombie.
So I had to sell some coins. Take out what I put in - plus a proper premium for the hassle. Which I'm shopping for real estate with.
I know I miss on potential bigger gains. But if I'm unwell and die before becoming a big BTC millionaire all my waiting will just have been a sad mistake. My coins are not coming in the grave with me, for fuck's sake.

I still have a lot invested in crypto. But I can sleep at night. And I can laugh at price drops. And be here for the lulz, siding once with the bears and once with the bulls. Never invest what you can't afford to lose, so true and I had to learn the hard way.

With the "premium" over your initial investment (let's say it's 500%) being enough to "shop for real estate" combined with your rather bullish views, I'd have to guess you bought your first coins in 2010.

You can afford to cash out a little, but those who missed the early trains shouldn't.

But hey: spend it, I am, too. But actually I don't spend more than I can rebuy with (meagerly) incoming fiat.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:04:04 PM

I've been through a similar situation, in fact, I tried to capture that very feeling in this song I wrote about the crash. I'm not going to lie, the price swings affected my life to the point of obsession, and still isn't completely healed, but it's only a phase, things tend to get a little out of hand...but once it cools off, it's all good again Smiley Same happened back in 2011, but now it's forgotten.

I've been able to sleep well at night, but I totally see where you are coming from, and why you made that decision.

Instead of selling I have distanced myself from my bitcoins, in the sense that, I don't watch the price and thinks like "oh, there goes one year worth of salary". Rather, I  set a price target in mind, and tell myself we'll keep cool until then, and along the way, i'll just pretend I don't have those bitcoins. Then, like you, laugh and have fun regardless of where the price goes, or at least not take it all that serious. I may not have been entirely successful in distancing, but at least I have not lost sleep thus far.

My thought process is like this: There will likely be massive changes and rapid growth now that we're entering mass adoption phase, it will likely turn around in 3-5 years. What's 3-5 really? It's nothing. I'm young and can afford to take a huge risk. I don't think I'll ever see an opportunity so golden as this again in my life. If I just don't chicken out now, and keep holding, this will be my best shot ever at becoming wealthy enough to never have to worry about work again in the shortest possible time frame, or lose everything. Well you know what, being so lucky that I can take part in one of human history's greatest inventions, I'm not going to let this opportunity pass me by. Even if there will be nights without sleep, and weeks with poor work habits. I'm holding this motherfucker  Grin

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:23:53 PM

I've been through a similar situation, in fact, I tried to capture that very feeling in this song I wrote about the crash. I'm not going to lie, the price swings affected my life to the point of obsession, and still isn't completely healed, but it's only a phase, things tend to get a little out of hand...but once it cools off, it's all good again Smiley Same happened back in 2011, but now it's forgotten.

I've been able to sleep well at night, but I totally see where you are coming from, and why you made that decision.

Instead of selling I have distanced myself from my bitcoins, in the sense that, I don't watch the price and thinks like "oh, there goes one year worth of salary". Rather, I  set a price target in mind, and tell myself we'll keep cool until then, and along the way, i'll just pretend I don't have those bitcoins. Then, like you, laugh and have fun regardless of where the price goes, or at least not take it all that serious. I may not have been entirely successful in distancing, but at least I have not lost sleep thus far.

My thought process is like this: There will likely be massive changes and rapid growth now that we're entering mass adoption phase, it will likely turn around in 3-5 years. What's 3-5 really? It's nothing. I'm young and can afford to take a huge risk. I don't think I'll ever see an opportunity so golden as this again in my life. If I just don't chicken out now, and keep holding, this will be my best shot ever at becoming wealthy enough to never have to worry about work again in the shortest possible time frame, or lose everything. Well you know what, being so lucky that I can take part in one of human history's greatest inventions, I'm not going to let this opportunity pass me by. Even if there will be nights without sleep, and weeks with poor work habits. I'm holding this motherfucker  Grin

rule #2 of investing: defend the assets you own!
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:32:09 PM

rule #2 of investing: defend the assets you own!
What do you mean?
barbs

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 11:38:52 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2013, 11:53:40 PM by barbs

anyone else watching this back and forth tug between 120 and 122.4? I should get some sleep, i'm all in again @ 116. F it.

Quote me later when i'm QQIng Tongue

Bitcoin has been very good to me, paying for purchases through its volatility... i started with 24 btc back in Feb and have spent about 1,300$ worth combined with trading where most of the time i was eroding bitcoins but got lucky a few strategic times, and today am at ... 25 btc. Still holding a about a 1100$ of that in profits + 1300$ spent is not bad for a small outlay back in feb getting in at about 15£..

I thought it's interesting to look at the blockchain hosts as i now feel the real downside to bitcoin won't even be exchanges closing. Those who have fiat and aren't all in when an exchange closes will be in trouble because I'm sure if MTGox closed they'd let folks pull out their bitcoins and they'd allow repatriation of funds, worst case..  US Govt is the most aggressive in the world on financial liberties of citizens in the world and If america got off the bitcoin grid and the US government decided to just declare bitcoin illegal, I mean what can they do worst case? Shut down bitcoin traffic at the USA backbone level?

Assuming its not that bad and they go after the exchanges, leave backbones alone and the network continues through USA bitcoin hums along and they freeze assets but people can still pull out their funds but only through fiat or btc network no more trading online.

Then what happens? much tougher to buy/sell online so easily combined with an already scarce resource, worst comes to worst you just sell them for cash at inflated prices through localbitcoins.com or the like.  The network still hums away, the benefits still exist and it is solid. Even if the USA does clamp down and shut down blockchain hosts which would be a huge loss in network power check this list out. Price is decided by those still using it, a forum with private contact details is used, no actual exchange-type just bartering is still possible.

Country   Number of Hosts
United States   6458
Germany   1113
Russian Federation   941
Canada   855
United Kingdom   827
Australia   529
Netherlands   344
Poland   335
Ukraine   316
China   304
Sweden   271
France   263
European Union   252
Finland   243
Italy   179
Czech Republic   167

Gotta say respect for UK being so small and topping that list right with the big boys, Don't worry I'm in Central london representing mining on my xfire rig and buying btc through exchanges.  Fuck it, as all have said to the moon or to the dust!!

Btw for luls look at these countries with 1 blockchain host

Tanzania United Republic of   1
Nicaragua   1
Panama   1
Syrian Arab Republic   1
Reserved   1
Belize   1
El Salvador   1
Guatemala   1
Monaco   1
Pakistan   1
Faroe Islands   1
Jersey   1
Guernsey   1
Nepal   1
Azerbaijan   1
Kenya   1
Cote D'ivoire   1
Isle of Man   1
Seychelles 1

Representing! Syrian Arab republic hosting blockchain is very surprising. http://bitcoinstatus.rowit.co.uk. my point being there are so many dimensions to this thing who is to judge honestly. I can make 50$ here and there by trading but it is stressful so occasionally looking is good but obsession is a tough one, i use alerts on my iphone through the bitcoin ticker app to set thresholds and get alerts on price to live a normal life Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 [651] 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 ... 33328 »
  Print  

Jump to: