April 27, 2024, 02:57:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 33136 33137 33138 33139 33140 33141 33142 33143 33144 33145 33146 33147 33148 33149 33150 33151 33152 33153 33154 33155 33156 33157 33158 33159 33160 33161 33162 33163 33164 33165 33166 33167 33168 33169 33170 33171 33172 33173 33174 33175 33176 33177 33178 33179 33180 33181 33182 33183 33184 33185 [33186] 33187 33188 33189 33190 33191 33192 33193 33194 33195 33196 33197 33198 33199 33200 33201 33202 33203 33204 33205 33206 33207 33208 33209 33210 33211 33212 33213 33214 33215 33216 33217 33218 33219 33220 33221 33222 33223 33224 33225 33226 33227 33228 33229 33230 33231 33232 33233 33234 33235 33236 ... 33304 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368592 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10167

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 05:31:37 PM
Merited by dragonvslinux (1)

Still you ignored my counters to your bet proposals with some of my own bet proposals - but some of this is looking more in your favor currently.... and so I am a bit surprised by how much consolidating (or the correction down to nearly $60k-ish.. .yet there could still be something bettable in terms of my saying that BTC prices would probably not go below $40k ever again and/or they would not go less than 20% above the 200-WMA in either 2024 or 2025.. and surely I am ONLY considering those as slightly better than 50/50..
My bad, I might had missed your counter offer, but got the impression you weren't interested in the vagueness of a 50% drop in 2024, as per below. As I said before, until there was a top formed/forming, there wouldn't be any bet I'd be willing to make on where a 50% correction came from, as it would be a complete stab in the dark (ie $80K, $100K, etc), only that I think it would in 2024.

That is pretty vague, and I probably would even agree with the proposition that the chances are greater than 50% that there will be a drop of 50% or more in 2024, and there are a lot of ways that could end up happening, so it is hardly even revealing that it is possible to come, but since I already said that I believe that the BTC price is not going to drop below $40k (that I am willing to bet on it), then I have already suggested that I believe that there is not going to be any 50% or greater drop until the BTC price gets at least above $80k..

And, yeah, maybe I am ONLY slightly more confident than 50/50, and i would even be willing to lose such a bet because I think that my bet is reasonable within our current circumstances... Of course, the closer that we get to $40k, such as even breaking below $60k, then I am going to lose confidence in my assertion that we are never going below $40k and I may well withdraw my bet if it were not to be entered into prior to breaking below $60k.. because if we go below $60k and stay there then maybe the odds become less than 50% at that time that we would never go below $40k.

so I am potentially giving you pretty good betting terms, versus the vague-ass shit that you had been outlining earlier.. with the 50% drop and blah blah blah. .but without hardly any parameters.. hahahahahaha...
You were wise to not take that bet then Grin

I am not sure about wise.. since ultimately, if either of us were to identify a potential bet, we would still have to narrow it down, and by the time we narrow it down, then it may well become too unbettable...or maybe the terms might not even be sufficiently interesting.

so part of the reason that I said never below $40k is that I doubt that we are likely to get a 50% or greater drop prior to going above $80k... and I might even feel that way all the way up to $160k.. except the problem is that the higher the price, the more chances that we could end up getting a 50% drop if we go up to the price too quickly, and since we were already at around $70k-ish (or was it $72k-ish) when I made that proclamation, I thought that there is almost no way that we could end up going up to $80k too quickly that would end up triggering a 50% drop.  But, hey, I know anything is possible, I am just figuring out some parameters for a 50/50 bet in which I consider the odds are in my favor and how I might be able to distinguish between what we had been saying. and you are currently still anticipating $36k-ish to still be in the cards...and even supposedly to have greater than 50% odds of happening.. at least that has been the way you had been speaking prior to my proposing the bet possibility.
At current price (between $60K and $70K roughly), I'm pretty neutral about whether there will be such a correction from here, or higher levels, like $80K.

It is possible, but I would place it at less than 50/50, and that was part of the thing that I was getting worked up about either your earlier assertion that we would go to the lower $30ks (from the correction at $49k, remember) or your later assertion that we would go to the mid to upper $30ks from the upper $60ks.. and so those were the points that I had considered to be bettable in terms of my thinking that you were expecting too much of a dip in these here kinds of times.. which also put us back to either going below the 200-WMA or getting pretty damned close to it.. which I also stick by my prediction that we are not going to get within 20% of the 200-WMA in either 2024 or 2025 - and yeah, those are pretty bold claims coming from my camp, but I am willing to stand behind them in terms of my thinking that they are greater than 50% odds, so that if I enter into a 50/50 bet, my odds of winning are greater than my odds of losing... at least at this point in our bitcoin journey. and if the conditions change, I may well prefer to retract my bet.. .. I don't have to stick to such bet, but if you catch me right now, those bet proposals are still on the table... and I think that either one of them would still be fun, even if they end up not being a winner for me.

What I believe is more likely to happen isn't necessarily the odds I'd apply, as I'd prefer to stick to the odds that the chart is telling me. Even being 50/50 is a bit of a dubious position, as it's only the 20 DMA that's broken, the shorter-term time-frames remain bullish.

I probably was just getting worked up over the way that I was interpreting the way that you were talking about some of those lower price scenarios as if they had odds that were much greater than 50/50.. Earlier, from my perspective, you seemed to have had been talking about those lower price scenarios as if they had 70-80% odds. .. and yeah, maybe I misread you, but that was how I understood your words, even if you did not assign actual numbers, words also can carry meanings related to likelihood of happening.. .and you may well appreciate that some of us will get on the case of others who are describing fringe scenarios as if they were even close to base case scenarios..   Nothing wrong with being prepared for extremes, even though there are problems to discuss extreme scenarios as if they were base case scenarios..

Not sure if you were asking me, but at present I'd say 50/50 further upside. With $60K breaking I'd be 60/40 for further downside. With $69K breaking to the upside I'd say 60/40 further upside.

On a side note: I'm also slightly surprised that price didn't continue on to $80K after breaking ATH, as there was certainly room for a blow-off style top with maximum overbought conditions. The momentum wasn't on the side of the bulls after all it seems, as it wasn't selling pressure but more so lack of buying pressure (based on volume that was declining since the top rather than increasing/maintaining with sell volume).

It is hard to say what might be causing the failure to go up.... except surely the GBTC selling seems to be offsetting the buys from the other ETFs... but I hate to ONLY focus on single theory explanations, since there is always going to be some concern when the price goes up so fast, and you can just look at the chart and see that there had not been very many significant price corrections between October and currently.. so for those kinds of reasons there could be some advantages to slowing down the UPpity a bit.

But with that, and without a blow-off top with high sell volume, it doesn't necessarily put me in better position (in the context of betting on further downside), as price is instead consolidating right now. Neither the bulls nor the bears are showing they have the momentum for either further upside or downside, even if one side will eventually have a breakthrough with this in the near-term. But as referenced, below $60K, I would be 60/40 anticipating further downside over the next few months. Even if market structure isn't in my favour necessarily right now, I acknowledge that GBTC selling probably is at the moment.

That is part of the issue with consolidation; it can be difficult to figure out how long it will last.. a few days, a few weeks, a few months or longer. 

I am still going to stick with the consideration that between $55k and $82k-ish is no man's land, so I have my doubts about really hanging out in these here parts for very long, and sure maybe if we got all the way through no man's land, then it could be fair game to come back into no man's land. but I even have my doubts about the likelihood of something like that (a regression back into prior no man's land for consolidation - it seems like an outlier theory - even though anything can happen, but from my perspective, it would not be a base case way of thinking about the matter).

So based on Coinbase high of $73,835.57, I make a 50% correction from current high $36,917.79, which I'd be willing to make a bet over given a break of $60K.

I might be willing to consider that bet.. but I find it problematic that you are not willing to enter into such bet unless we get below $60k first.. .. but I must admit it is close to bettable.. even though fuck Coinbase.. We use Bitstamp in these here parts.. why the fuck would any of us want to rely on Coinbase for figuring out our price points for any potential bet when those twats cannot even keep their fucking exchange operating during supposed high volume times.  There is a reason that Buddy is coming at us with Bitstamp prices for the past 10 years or so.., even though he took a break for a few years... (went on strike)

Granted this would only be a further -38% to the downside, but would be -50% from the top, which as you said you don't believe is very unlikely (at least without reaching $80K or higher). But I can understand that if price fell below $60K, maybe you'd increase your odds of reaching around $40K and therefore the bet would no longer be in your favour. But I'm basing this in your initial statement that would remain true even with breaking $60K or $50K for that matter:

I might have to think about it.  It is getting close to bettable, especially if you would be requiring a 50% correction from the current top, which is currently $73,794 on bitstamp and therefore $36,897.. so you would ONLY win if the price dropped at or below $36,897 on Bitstamp... which I am thinking that may well be bettable, even if you would require the BTC price to go below $60k before the bet would trigger otherwise I don't get shit.   Cry Cry Cry Cry  which you should appreciate how that is a little bothersome...

Another issue is that there are limited ways that I would win the bet, but what about a timeline for the bet or other ways to invalidate the bet?  The bet becomes invalid if the BTC price goes back above $69k?  or you just seem to have too many ways out of not losing the bet.

so part of the reason that I said never below $40k is that I doubt that we are likely to get a 50% or greater drop prior to going above $80k
So with this in mind, and a break of $60K (and price around that level as it were), I think me betting on $40K coming first and you on $80K would be a fairer bet no?  That would be 33% in either direction from there.

That's true... that could be another way of framing a bet that might be bettable; however what do we need for a break of $60k?  just a dip below $60k should be enough, no?  Do you need a closing candle, too?  hahahahaha..  We had gotten a low of $60,760 so far, which was about 2.5 days ago as I type this post... I am talking about Bitstamp.. Let's stick to Bitstamp.. fuck coinbase... those twats.

And would also mean I'm not relying on a precise number to fall to, given that I think -50% is more of a maximum that's likely, and could easily be a few percent off either way. I'd feel pretty daft if price got to $40K but miss $37K in reality. If anything I wonder if this bet would favour you more here, as price could reach $80K before reaching $40K for example... which is a risk I'd have to take here.

Well yeah. you would not be getting quite 50%, and it could be true that the BTC price could barely break below $40k and then not go any further... that is pretty low.. so I am having my doubts, and I think that the bet needs to be that the BTC price has to break $40k it cannot just touch on $40k in order for you to win...especially since you are already making several conditions, but it is still seeming bettable. even if I am barely feeling much greater than 50% odds in terms of the current framing...  it is not like a slam dunk, but it still seems to be within my parameters of a potentially acceptable bet.. despite your lack of commitment to enter right now and you have some additional condition prior to feeling strong enough to enter such bet.

(With that last part I'd have to consider whether this bet would really be fair after all, and whether simply reaching $40K this year would fairer for me, even if price reached $80K for example)

If the BTC price reached $80k first, and then it later corrected down to sub $40k then you would feel that you should have had been the rightful winner of the bet.  You are trying to make sure you win no matter what?  hahahahaha

I did already suggest that I don't think that the BTC price is going to ever go below $40k again (at least not in 2024 and/or 2025).. which surely I did make a pretty bold claim, but if we bet on something like that, then it may well take some time for the bet to play out, so now you are wanting to change it to some higher number rather than $80k.. so I would not win.. until it got above some higher number and you are finally willing to give up on sub $40k ever being reachable in 2024 or 2025.. 

For sure, you (UnDerDoG81) seem to be inspired to sell based on emotions and possibly greed rather than logic.

Good luck with that.
Seems he has no clue about how the market works and simply relies on the price movement rather than logics behind it, no doubt most persons come to the bitcoin market only during bull run.

Glad, you share insights on this.
Bare in mind that UnDerDoG81 has been the market since 2013, not just during the bull run, so I doubt they are clueless here.

I don't think that's what JJG was implying what you are saying either, only that the decision could be more emotional rather than logic based, which would also make sense if it's based on what he/she feels comfortable with holding, rather than what logically would be the "best" quantity to hold. Being 100% invested is otherwise very greedy, so you can look at this either way (even JJG isn't 100% invested!)

I have no problem with any guy wanting to shave off some BTC exposure.  I was more bothered by what seems to be UnDerDoG81's motive to sell and then to buy back cheaper, so I personally believe that it is better to be willing to accept the finality of any amount that is sold.. but sure, no problem if the price drops and he can buy back, but he should not sell with that expectation.. .. although we know that the odds of being able to buy back cheaper does go up with the more that the BTC price goes up, but at the same time, from my way of thinking about BTC investing (and any sales that I make), we should never expect that we will be able to buy back cheaper after we had sold.

Regarding the 100%.  I believe that you (dragonvslinux) are misunderstanding what UnDerDoG81 means.  I  believe that UnDerDoG81 is saying that BTC is his only investment.. so he only has bitcoin and dollars (or whatever fiat that he uses), he does not have any other kinds of investments besides bitcoin and fiat.  He did not say what his allocations in fiat versus bitcoin is, so how much fiat savings that he has, so I imagine that part of his issue is that the value of his BTC (in terms of fiat) is causing whatever fiat savings that he have to be dwarft.. so that maybe he ends up being 90/10 or something very lopsided and he will feel better to not be so lopsided, especially since we know that fiat does not really hold its value, but there could still be stacking of fiat to offset the growth of the BTC, but maybe that is part of the issue in that the BTC is just growing too fast and UnDerDoG81 is just becoming a bit too fiat oriented since he does not have other investments... which I am not even against any of those kinds of considerations and/or calculations.

I am personally largely just against the idea of selling BTC with an expectation of being able to buy it back cheaper.. and UnDerDoG81 should be able to figure out various amounts of BTC that he is willing to sell without worrying about being able to buy back cheaper, even if he spreads out his 10% sales over a larger price range. .but the whole thing that he is wanting to do is to sell 10% and then to be able to buy it back cheaper...even if he spreads the orders (10 orders) out for 1% for every $10k  price rise all the way up to $159k..and from my perspective, none of that is a bad plan.. just having the expectations of being able to buy back cheaper.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 06:01:22 PM

Explanation
Chartbuddy thanks talkimg.com
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 06:42:52 PM
Merited by JimboToronto (1), psycodad (1), Gachapin (1)

If your bitcoin is on an exchange, you own zero #BTC.
Take your bitcoin off exchanges!

Personally, I doubt that Ledger is a good solution.   
WatChe

Activity: 896
Merit: 543

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2024, 06:49:53 PM

The point is Saylor strategy about Bitcoin is working.
His strategy about bitcoin is working because he is a strong believer in investing in assets with scarcity and high demand. Bitcoin stands out as one of such assets due to its capped supply of 21 million coins, making it highly scarce. Saylor has already predicted the continued growth, projecting a 200% annual increase over the next decade and he is putting his money where his mouth is.

I would suggest a 20% to 50% annual increase of the 200-WMA is more realistic in terms of attempting to predict the future from the past.. you cannot continue with the same historical rate of 2x per year, it does not make sense especially since the slope of the increase has been getting less steep with the passage of time.

This is 5 years Bitcoin price versus 200-WMA chart and its very much evident that slope of increase is getting less steeper with every passing year. There are patches where Bitcoin price may even go below 200-WMA and one has to bear that cycle with patience. While there are patches where 200-WMA completely outclass Bitcoin price like April 14, 2021 - Bitcoin price 63k and 200-WMA 11k.

Image Source
dragonvslinux
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 2204

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 07:00:59 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

It is possible, but I would place it at less than 50/50, and that was part of the thing that I was getting worked up about either your earlier assertion that we would go to the lower $30ks (from the correction at $49k, remember) or your later assertion that we would go to the mid to upper $30ks from the upper $60ks.. and so those were the points that I had considered to be bettable in terms of my thinking that you were expecting too much of a dip in these here kinds of times.. which also put us back to either going below the 200-WMA or getting pretty damned close to it.. which I also stick by my prediction that we are not going to get within 20% of the 200-WMA in either 2024 or 2025 - and yeah, those are pretty bold claims coming from my camp, but I am willing to stand behind them in terms of my thinking that they are greater than 50% odds, so that if I enter into a 50/50 bet, my odds of winning are greater than my odds of losing... at least at this point in our bitcoin journey. and if the conditions change, I may well prefer to retract my bet.. .. I don't have to stick to such bet, but if you catch me right now, those bet proposals are still on the table... and I think that either one of them would still be fun, even if they end up not being a winner for me.

Your general reasoning is a good reason to consider the bet that's for sure. I was wrong about a deeper correction from $48K, although technically I was never wrong about the idea of $30Ks at upper $60Ks, I simply pointing out that if a top occured from there would likely lead to $30Ks (more likely than finding supporting above that level). But I never said we would top out in the $60Ks, if anything the opposite is true, but it's somewhat beside the point. I was actually more convinced we'd go higher than previous ATH once we got there, even if I still considered a 50% correction as likely (from a new ATH). The issue here is that I'm only willing to consider a bet with at minimum a top formation. Because to put it simply I'm not naive enough to make a bet based on price topping out at X.

The bet for me would be less about whether there will be a correction (that there already is) but how deep the correction could go.

What I believe is more likely to happen isn't necessarily the odds I'd apply, as I'd prefer to stick to the odds that the chart is telling me. Even being 50/50 is a bit of a dubious position, as it's only the 20 DMA that's broken, the shorter-term time-frames remain bullish.

I probably was just getting worked up over the way that I was interpreting the way that you were talking about some of those lower price scenarios as if they had odds that were much greater than 50/50.. Earlier, from my perspective, you seemed to have had been talking about those lower price scenarios as if they had 70-80% odds. .. and yeah, maybe I misread you, but that was how I understood your words, even if you did not assign actual numbers, words also can carry meanings related to likelihood of happening.. .and you may well appreciate that some of us will get on the case of others who are describing fringe scenarios as if they were even close to base case scenarios..   Nothing wrong with being prepared for extremes, even though there are problems to discuss extreme scenarios as if they were base case scenarios..

Yeh probably. I'm not even 60/40 that price goes to $40K either. That would be more like 52/48 if I had to assign random numbers. Probably 55/45 that we reach $50K at least.

So based on Coinbase high of $73,835.57, I make a 50% correction from current high $36,917.79, which I'd be willing to make a bet over given a break of $60K.

I might be willing to consider that bet.. but I find it problematic that you are not willing to enter into such bet unless we get below $60k first.. .. but I must admit it is close to bettable.. even though fuck Coinbase.. We use Bitstamp in these here parts.. why the fuck would any of us want to rely on Coinbase for figuring out our price points for any potential bet when those twats cannot even keep their fucking exchange operating during supposed high volume times.  There is a reason that Buddy is coming at us with Bitstamp prices for the past 10 years or so.., even though he took a break for a few years... (went on strike)

OK Bitstamp instead, sure.

Granted this would only be a further -38% to the downside, but would be -50% from the top, which as you said you don't believe is very unlikely (at least without reaching $80K or higher). But I can understand that if price fell below $60K, maybe you'd increase your odds of reaching around $40K and therefore the bet would no longer be in your favour. But I'm basing this in your initial statement that would remain true even with breaking $60K or $50K for that matter:

I might have to think about it.  It is getting close to bettable, especially if you would be requiring a 50% correction from the current top, which is currently $73,794 on bitstamp and therefore $36,897.. so you would ONLY win if the price dropped at or below $36,897 on Bitstamp... which I am thinking that may well be bettable, even if you would require the BTC price to go below $60k before the bet would trigger otherwise I don't get shit.   Cry Cry Cry Cry  which you should appreciate how that is a little bothersome...

I'm not suggesting we make a bet unless price is around $60K, or has already gone below. Sure this could mean that if price dumped to $55K and failed to recover, there would likely be no bet. But otherwise, below $61.4K I'm interested. $60K was more of a round number reference. As price is finding support again from the 200 MA on 4hr (as anticipated) then I'm not jumping into a bet here for obvious reasons. I'd be better off re-considering around $80K. Bistamp otherwise does provide a considerably lower price requirement, though I understand and respect the desire to stick with this exchange. It's certainly one I'd have to think about, based on breaking $40K but not necessary reaching $37K either.

Another issue is that there are limited ways that I would win the bet, but what about a timeline for the bet or other ways to invalidate the bet?  The bet becomes invalid if the BTC price goes back above $69k?  or you just seem to have too many ways out of not losing the bet.

2024 would be fine for me. Depends on the bet, if it were $40K or $80K that's clear cut I think (even if takes a while). Otherwise 2024 would be fine for me. Assuming I'd lose either way by 2025 that is. As a summary, this is the bet I'd be more willing to take, and I think is fairer for the both of us, based on my previous reasoning that the % difference would be the same going to $40K or $80K from approx $60K.

And would also mean I'm not relying on a precise number to fall to, given that I think -50% is more of a maximum that's likely, and could easily be a few percent off either way. I'd feel pretty daft if price got to $40K but miss $37K in reality. If anything I wonder if this bet would favour you more here, as price could reach $80K before reaching $40K for example... which is a risk I'd have to take here.

Well yeah. you would not be getting quite 50%, and it could be true that the BTC price could barely break below $40k and then not go any further... that is pretty low.. so I am having my doubts, and I think that the bet needs to be that the BTC price has to break $40k it cannot just touch on $40k in order for you to win...especially since you are already making several conditions, but it is still seeming bettable. even if I am barely feeling much greater than 50% odds in terms of the current framing...  it is not like a slam dunk, but it still seems to be within my parameters of a potentially acceptable bet.. despite your lack of commitment to enter right now and you have some additional condition prior to feeling strong enough to enter such bet.

That would be fair, I'd only consider the bet as lower than $40K (even if only by a cent and based on a wick). Given that's ultimately the level you seem convinced confident price won't break. I'm otherwise not considering this a slam dunk bet either, and I wouldn't be willing to bet much on it. It's be more for the lolz and fun rather than any potential satoshi gain. There'd be more fun to be had with offering double or nothing odds to such scenarios as reaching $50K or $70K once the bet is applied (from both sides). Even if it'd mainly be taunting, it's all fun and games.

(With that last part I'd have to consider whether this bet would really be fair after all, and whether simply reaching $40K this year would fairer for me, even if price reached $80K for example)

If the BTC price reached $80k first, and then it later corrected down to sub $40k then you would feel that you should have had been the rightful winner of the bet.  You are trying to make sure you win no matter what?  hahahahaha

I'm just pointing out ways in which I could lose the bet and should consider my options here. Ideally the bet would be reaching $40K in 2024 or not, but I realise even with your confidence in that not happening, that this wouldn't be a favourable bet you, without winning the bet if price reached $80K for example. So just trying to compromise here, even if it's not necessarily in my best interests at all.

I did already suggest that I don't think that the BTC price is going to ever go below $40k again (at least not in 2024 and/or 2025).. which surely I did make a pretty bold claim, but if we bet on something like that, then it may well take some time for the bet to play out, so now you are wanting to change it to some higher number rather than $80k.. so I would not win.. until it got above some higher number and you are finally willing to give up on sub $40k ever being reachable in 2024 or 2025..

2024 would be fine. We can take 2025 off the table here. I wouldn't even feel hard done by if it reached there in 2025, I'd probably have a lot more to be concerned about if that happened.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 07:03:23 PM

Explanation
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 07:23:44 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2024, 01:10:57 AM by JayJuanGee
Merited by AlcoHoDL (1)

The point is Saylor strategy about Bitcoin is working.
His strategy about bitcoin is working because he is a strong believer in investing in assets with scarcity and high demand. Bitcoin stands out as one of such assets due to its capped supply of 21 million coins, making it highly scarce. Saylor has already predicted the continued growth, projecting a 200% annual increase over the next decade and he is putting his money where his mouth is.
I would suggest a 20% to 50% annual increase of the 200-WMA is more realistic in terms of attempting to predict the future from the past.. you cannot continue with the same historical rate of 2x per year, it does not make sense especially since the slope of the increase has been getting less steep with the passage of time.
This is 5 years Bitcoin price versus 200-WMA chart and its very much evident that slope of increase is getting less steeper with every passing year. There are patches where Bitcoin price may even go below 200-WMA and one has to bear that cycle with patience. While there are patches where 200-WMA completely outclass Bitcoin price like April 14, 2021 - Bitcoin price 63k and 200-WMA 11k.

Image Source

Well on that site you can plug in specific dates, and sure, you can see that the slope of the 200-WMA is getting less steep, but you can also see that the variance between the spot price and the 200-WMA was way greater in earlier years.

So for example, the early 2021 peak of the BTC spot price was 4x to 5x higher thant the 200-WMA, but the late 2021 peak was only 2x to 3x higher than the 200WMA.  

The 2017 peak of the BTC price reached around 14x higher than the 200-WMA, and the late 2013 peak of the BTC spot price reached close to 27x higher than the 200-WMA.

So there are extremes, but there is no guarantees that the peak of this particular cycle is going to be lower than the 2021 cycle merely because the 2021 cycle was lower than the 2017 and the 2017 cycle was lower than the 2013 cycle.  I am not going to claim to know about limits, but I would not be surprised if we were to be able to get higher magnitudes than the 2021 cycle, but even right now (today), we are currently right around 2x higher than the 200WMA, yet  if we were to top at 4x higher than our current 200-WMA, then that would be a price of double today's price, which is $120k-ish - yet at the same time, the 200-WMA is continuing to move up right around $50 per day, so the target is getting higher, even if we were to merely have a top that is around 4x higher than the 200-WMA.

Regarding your points about the spot price only having infrequent periods below the 200-WMA.  That is certainly true that even before 2022, the BTC price did not spend very much time at all ever below the 200-WMA, so when BTC spot prices were at their lowest points in the cycle, they were usually either barely touching the 200-WMA or alternatively, they might shortly spike below the 200-WMA for a few days at most.

So the period between mid 2022 and October 2023 were the most unusual for all of BTC's history in which there were months and months and months that the BTC price was below the 200-WMA and it had gotten as low as 35% below the 200-WMA... so even with that level of unusualness in the lowness of the BTC prices relative to the 200-WMA, the 200-WMA continued to go up and even went up at a rate of about 20% annualized during that record-breaking price slouching period.

So yes, we could have those kinds of low price periods again in bitcoin, yet I still consider the 200-WMA a good way to valuate your BTC holdings in order that none of us gets overly exuberant about the value of our BTC holdings merely based on BTC spot prices (even though if we are going to shave off any BTC, we are going to shave it off at spot prices and we can also consider if we might want to shave off a bit extra if we can see that the BTC spot price is at historically high levels as compared to the 200-WMA.. and so at the same time, historical levels might not give us any kind of specific picture regarding future BTC spot price performance... so we should attempt to do the best that we can with the tools that we have.

Regarding looking at the chart in logarithmic or linear scales, I understand that it is difficult to see the historical levels on the linear scale, so I believe that bitmover is still working on a way to be able to zoom into the earlier timeline and to look at the earlier times of the chart within a linear scale framework.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 08:03:32 PM

Explanation
Gachapin

Merit: 1840

bitcoin retard

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 08:07:58 PM

another dumpy weekend ahead..?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 08:12:09 PM

Your general reasoning is a good reason to consider the bet that's for sure. I was wrong about a deeper correction from $48K, although technically I was never wrong about the idea of $30Ks at upper $60Ks, I simply pointing out that if a top occured from there would likely lead to $30Ks (more likely than finding supporting above that level).

I don't know if you were correct or not - because for sure the level of feasibility of a correction might well have to do with the extent to which the price might be going up faster than support can keep up with it, and yeah, so if you presume it is getting out of control, but your models are not sufficiently accounting for some fundamentals (such as the exponential s-curve adoptions), then you might presume that it is going up faster than it should when in fact it might be nearly impossible to measure what it should do since we have never had an asset that is exactly like this particular asset, namely king daddy cornz.

But I never said we would top out in the $60Ks, if anything the opposite is true, but it's somewhat beside the point. I was actually more convinced we'd go higher than previous ATH once we got there, even if I still considered a 50% correction as likely (from a new ATH). The issue here is that I'm only willing to consider a bet with at minimum a top formation. Because to put it simply I'm not naive enough to make a bet based on price topping out at X.

From my perspective, you are still waffling.

The bet for me would be less about whether there will be a correction (that there already is) but how deep the correction could go.

Does that mean that you are changing the terms..?  As soon as we seem to be honing in on a potential bet, you change the terms to try to make them more favorable to you?  This seemingly bet negotiation is not going too well.

I probably was just getting worked up over the way that I was interpreting the way that you were talking about some of those lower price scenarios as if they had odds that were much greater than 50/50.. Earlier, from my perspective, you seemed to have had been talking about those lower price scenarios as if they had 70-80% odds. .. and yeah, maybe I misread you, but that was how I understood your words, even if you did not assign actual numbers, words also can carry meanings related to likelihood of happening.. .and you may well appreciate that some of us will get on the case of others who are describing fringe scenarios as if they were even close to base case scenarios..   Nothing wrong with being prepared for extremes, even though there are problems to discuss extreme scenarios as if they were base case scenarios..
Yeh probably. I'm not even 60/40 that price goes to $40K either. That would be more like 52/48 if I had to assign random numbers. Probably 55/45 that we reach $50K at least.

The more you type, the less committal you seem to get.. it is like you are working against the possibility of any bet being possible.

We need more disagreement in order to get into potentially bettable territories.

I might be willing to consider that bet.. but I find it problematic that you are not willing to enter into such bet unless we get below $60k first.. .. but I must admit it is close to bettable.. even though fuck Coinbase.. We use Bitstamp in these here parts.. why the fuck would any of us want to rely on Coinbase for figuring out our price points for any potential bet when those twats cannot even keep their fucking exchange operating during supposed high volume times.  There is a reason that Buddy is coming at us with Bitstamp prices for the past 10 years or so.., even though he took a break for a few years... (went on strike)
OK Bitstamp instead, sure.
I might have to think about it.  It is getting close to bettable, especially if you would be requiring a 50% correction from the current top, which is currently $73,794 on bitstamp and therefore $36,897.. so you would ONLY win if the price dropped at or below $36,897 on Bitstamp... which I am thinking that may well be bettable, even if you would require the BTC price to go below $60k before the bet would trigger otherwise I don't get shit.   Cry Cry Cry Cry  which you should appreciate how that is a little bothersome...
I'm not suggesting we make a bet unless price is around $60K, or has already gone below. Sure this could mean that if price dumped to $55K and failed to recover, there would likely be no bet. But otherwise, below $61.4K I'm interested. $60K was more of a round number reference. As price is finding support again from the 200 MA on 4hr (as anticipated) then I'm not jumping into a bet here for obvious reasons. I'd be better off re-considering around $80K. Bistamp otherwise does provide a considerably lower price requirement, though I understand and respect the desire to stick with this exchange. It's certainly one I'd have to think about, based on breaking $40K but not necessary reaching $37K either.

We are back to not yet bettable, then.  Ok..

Another issue is that there are limited ways that I would win the bet, but what about a timeline for the bet or other ways to invalidate the bet?  The bet becomes invalid if the BTC price goes back above $69k?  or you just seem to have too many ways out of not losing the bet.
2024 would be fine for me. Depends on the bet, if it were $40K or $80K that's clear cut I think (even if takes a while).

If we do which one comes first ($40k or $80k), then there would not be any need for a timeline on that.  It is a pretty narrow range, and I am pretty sure such bet would be resolved in 2024, and if it were to not be resolved in 2024, then so be it... I would be o.k. with just allowing it to keep riding.. It surely would be strange if BTC were not to break out of such range within the next 9 months or even within a year.  I would probably be shocked if that were to occur.

Otherwise 2024 would be fine for me. Assuming I'd lose either way by 2025 that is. As a summary, this is the bet I'd be more willing to take, and I think is fairer for the both of us, based on my previous reasoning that the % difference would be the same going to $40K or $80K from approx $60K.

But you are not even agreeing to it. Don't you need to the price to drop first before entering into such bet?  It should already be bettable or pretty damned close to being bettable, or if the BTC price got back down to $61k-ish..

I am willing to go along with some of your extra demands, since I am continuing to presume that we are still in no man's land within the ballpark of $55k to $82k so even if there are some unfavorable movements within that range, I think that there is an extra bonus of UPpity price pressure that is caused by being in what I still believe to be no man's land.

Well yeah. you would not be getting quite 50%, and it could be true that the BTC price could barely break below $40k and then not go any further... that is pretty low.. so I am having my doubts, and I think that the bet needs to be that the BTC price has to break $40k it cannot just touch on $40k in order for you to win...especially since you are already making several conditions, but it is still seeming bettable. even if I am barely feeling much greater than 50% odds in terms of the current framing...  it is not like a slam dunk, but it still seems to be within my parameters of a potentially acceptable bet.. despite your lack of commitment to enter right now and you have some additional condition prior to feeling strong enough to enter such bet.
That would be fair, I'd only consider the bet as lower than $40K (even if only by a cent and based on a wick). Given that's ultimately the level you seem convinced confident price won't break. I'm otherwise not considering this a slam dunk bet either, and I wouldn't be willing to bet much on it.

I am thinking something in territory of 0.001BTC or 0.002 BTC.  For me, it would be more about the principle of the commitment of the bet rather than the amount of the bet... yet at the same time, it should be enough so that it makes sense in regards to managing UTXOs.

It's be more for the lolz and fun rather than any potential satoshi gain. There'd be more fun to be had with offering double or nothing odds to such scenarios as reaching $50K or $70K once the bet is applied (from both sides). Even if it'd mainly be taunting, it's all fun and games.

We might have to see if any taunting scenarios might come about.

If the BTC price reached $80k first, and then it later corrected down to sub $40k then you would feel that you should have had been the rightful winner of the bet.  You are trying to make sure you win no matter what?  hahahahaha
I'm just pointing out ways in which I could lose the bet and should consider my options here. Ideally the bet would be reaching $40K in 2024 or not, but I realise even with your confidence in that not happening, that this wouldn't be a favourable bet you, without winning the bet if price reached $80K for example. So just trying to compromise here, even if it's not necessarily in my best interests at all.

I had not thought about it like that... and yeah, which one comes first ($40k or $80k) might be more favorable to me, but still we have to break a further $6,206 additional price appreciation for me to win the bet, and are we conceding that reaching $80k is enough or does it have to break above $80k?  You know that Bitstamp no longer permits the placing of orders in fractions of a dollar so there is no winning of bets based on cents... and for me.. I think actually reaching $80k first before breaking below $40k, which means going above $79,999 should be enough for me to win the bet.  

2024 would be fine. We can take 2025 off the table here. I wouldn't even feel hard done by if it reached there in 2025, I'd probably have a lot more to be concerned about if that happened.

Setting a date would not be a necessary component of the bet if we have the breaking range of $40k to $80k - and the only other bet propositions that I recall making were that 1) the BTC spot price will not go below 20% above the 200-WMA in either 2024 or 2025, and the other one was that the BTC spot price high would be higher in 2025 than in 2024, because you were suggesting that we might peak in 2024, and I think that is also bettable.

Personally, I am not going to presume a failure to go up merely because there has been a failure to go up over the last week and the previous weekend..

At this point, I believe that there is no presumption in either price direction.
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 12008

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 08:23:14 PM
Merited by xhomerx10 (1)

Prefer pumpy
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 09:01:31 PM

Explanation
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2024, 09:41:52 PM

Cheap corn on the way. <60k soon.
Krubster

Activity: 355
Merit: 717

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 09:44:19 PM
Merited by El duderino_ (5), OgNasty (4), vapourminer (1), d5000 (1), Hueristic (1), JayJuanGee (1), d_eddie (1), dragonvslinux (1)

I got my MtGox fiat payment earlier this week.

I'm still waiting for what really matters, the btc payout. Nevertheless, this was a welcoming surprise.
Gachapin

Merit: 1840

bitcoin retard

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 10:00:12 PM

Prefer pumpy

we all do..

at least those who have their bags filled...
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 10:03:32 PM

Explanation
criptoevangelista

Activity: 238
Merit: 496

Siga sempre em frente! always move forward!

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 10:11:50 PM

I'm still waiting for what really matters, the btc payout. Nevertheless, this was a welcoming surprise.

great news, better late than never.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2024, 10:13:30 PM

nice you can buy some cheap corn
Krubster

Activity: 355
Merit: 717

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 10:34:10 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2024, 10:48:50 PM by Krubster

great news, better late than never.
Yes, it's been 10 years of waiting. To be honest, I never though I'd see this day coming.

nice you can buy some cheap corn
Unfortunately, most of this will go to the tax man.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2024, 11:03:33 PM

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 33136 33137 33138 33139 33140 33141 33142 33143 33144 33145 33146 33147 33148 33149 33150 33151 33152 33153 33154 33155 33156 33157 33158 33159 33160 33161 33162 33163 33164 33165 33166 33167 33168 33169 33170 33171 33172 33173 33174 33175 33176 33177 33178 33179 33180 33181 33182 33183 33184 33185 [33186] 33187 33188 33189 33190 33191 33192 33193 33194 33195 33196 33197 33198 33199 33200 33201 33202 33203 33204 33205 33206 33207 33208 33209 33210 33211 33212 33213 33214 33215 33216 33217 33218 33219 33220 33221 33222 33223 33224 33225 33226 33227 33228 33229 33230 33231 33232 33233 33234 33235 33236 ... 33304 »
  Print  

Jump to: