May 22, 2024, 04:39:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 9104 9105 9106 9107 9108 9109 9110 9111 9112 9113 9114 9115 9116 9117 9118 9119 9120 9121 9122 9123 9124 9125 9126 9127 9128 9129 9130 9131 9132 9133 9134 9135 9136 9137 9138 9139 9140 9141 9142 9143 9144 9145 9146 9147 9148 9149 9150 9151 9152 9153 [9154] 9155 9156 9157 9158 9159 9160 9161 9162 9163 9164 9165 9166 9167 9168 9169 9170 9171 9172 9173 9174 9175 9176 9177 9178 9179 9180 9181 9182 9183 9184 9185 9186 9187 9188 9189 9190 9191 9192 9193 9194 9195 9196 9197 9198 9199 9200 9201 9202 9203 9204 ... 33374 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26387953 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:52:32 PM

Nice buy wall there holy cow biggest I have seen in a while.

It seems to have accomplished its purpose over the 9-10 hours it's been there. The price has risen from 2300 to around 2400.
I bet he's a buyer and not a let me send over $3 million to an exchange to pump the price...guy

We should know by tomorrow morning China time anyways..if he begins to chase, pulls it, or leaves it as is

My thoughts exactly. It seems strange that such a large order would sit there untouched that long without being moved.

If indeed whoever placed it is sleeping, it probably is real. If it was set to be pulled if sold into past a point, one might think that it would also be set to be moved up if it got left too far behind.

I guess we'll find out in a few hours. If it were to be pulled and used for a market buy, it would seriously bump the price up.

I think it illustrates that a few million dollars can push and hold the price in any direction with ease.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:55:11 PM

People who try to sell bitcoin as a way to protect one's investment from inflation should be jailed, IMHO.
Surely everybody who has a different economic opinion than yours deserves to rot in jail.....

No, just those who try to swindle others by selling them shares of dry oil wells, water-powered cars, ponzi schemes, etc..

No sane person would invest in cash, unless the money came from some illegal activity, or one is trying to evade taxes.

Real estate, and stocks of large, established and diversified companies are usually a safe investment.  Even if they are overpriced at some point, and may crash eventually, there is a limit to how much they can go down before hitting their fair price.  Since they are material property, their real value will not be affected by inflation.  For those who are too lazy or small to use those investments, there are many bonds and investment funds that are somewhat riskier and offer smaller returns, but will still protect from inflation.

I don't have much to say about gold, except that it seems to be vastly overpriced, and its price charts are not nice at all.

No one can honestly predict the future of bitcoin.  It may rise again to thousands of dollars, or it may be superseded by something else and go down to zero.   It is a big gamble, a lottery ticket with unknown odds.  People should be free to gamble, but must know that it is gambling and not investment.

assuming you invest in a currency of country which has a limited supply of money and you can be pretty sure that it will never be changed.

assume further that this country has the possibility to fill some niches in the global economy

you think it is insane to invest in the currency of this country?
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 06:56:19 PM

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/Decoder-Buzz/2014/1017/Obama-credit-card-declined-Does-he-need-to-get-out-more-video

should consider bitcoin  Wink
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4505

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:08:54 PM

LOL  This just reinforces my decision not to use or own credit cards.

I'll never understand why people put up with the inconvenience, hassle, expense and security risk of credit cards.

Cash is so much easier, safer and faster. I've never had cash refused, frozen, put on hold or charged a fee.

Bitcoin however has the potential of being even better than cash.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:10:08 PM

assuming you invest in a currency of country which has a limited supply of money and you can be pretty sure that it will never be changed.

assume further that this country has the possibility to fill some niches in the global economy

If the currency is inflating @ 10% a year, and its dollar exchange rate has fallen by more than 50% in 2014?  Let's just say "not very smart."
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:13:02 PM

People who try to sell bitcoin as a way to protect one's investment from inflation should be jailed, IMHO.
Surely everybody who has a different economic opinion than yours deserves to rot in jail.....

No, just those who try to swindle others by selling them shares of dry oil wells, water-powered cars, ponzi schemes, etc..

And people who recommend bitcoin fall into that category?

Real estate, and stocks of large, established and diversified companies are usually a safe investment.  Even if they are overpriced at some point, and may crash eventually, there is a limit to how much they can go down before hitting their fair price.  Since they are material property, their real value will not be affected by inflation.  For those who are too lazy or small to use those investments, there are many bonds and investment funds that are somewhat riskier and offer smaller returns, but will still protect from inflation.
There is no limit to how low established companies can go in price (unless you count 0 as the hard limit  Smiley )
Stocks are not material property.
Real estate will indeed never be worthless, but in certain political environments it might be confiscated, so it's not a zero risk investment either, you could lose all.

No one can honestly predict the future of bitcoin.  It may rise again to thousands of dollars, or it may be superseded by something else and go down to zero.   It is a big gamble, a lottery ticket with unknown odds.  People should be free to gamble, but must know that it is gambling and not investment.
Investment implies risk.  
nakaone

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:32:14 PM

If the currency is inflating @ 10% a year, and its dollar exchange rate has fallen by more than 50% in 2014?  Let's just say "not very smart."

the dollar exchange rate has increased by around 150 times in the last one and a half years - very smart investment Cheesy

induction as an indicator over time is stupid.

you can argue that my assumptions are wrong or that the niche is very small but arguing over charts is beyond stupid

if these assumptions are true and the niche is big enough you can say that investing in this "currency" is sane.
shanecoins

Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:33:54 PM

I'll never understand why people put up with the inconvenience, hassle, expense and security risk of credit cards.

Cash is so much easier, safer and faster. I've never had cash refused, frozen, put on hold or charged a fee.

bitcoin is already better than cash Smiley
hmmmstrange

Activity: 669

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:34:59 PM

And people who recommend bitcoin fall into that category?

Real estate, and stocks of large, established and diversified companies are usually a safe investment.  Even if they are overpriced at some point, and may crash eventually, there is a limit to how much they can go down before hitting their fair price.  Since they are material property, their real value will not be affected by inflation.  For those who are too lazy or small to use those investments, there are many bonds and investment funds that are somewhat riskier and offer smaller returns, but will still protect from inflation.
There is no limit to how low established companies can go in price (unless you count 0 as the hard limit  Smiley )
Stocks are not material property.
Real estate will indeed never be worthless, but in certain political environments it might be confiscated, so it's not a zero risk investment either, you could lose all.

No one can honestly predict the future of bitcoin.  It may rise again to thousands of dollars, or it may be superseded by something else and go down to zero.   It is a big gamble, a lottery ticket with unknown odds.  People should be free to gamble, but must know that it is gambling and not investment.
Investment implies risk.  

I own land where the yearly school, garbage, road, water fees total up to more than the property is worth. Wasn't the case 20 years ago when i bought them.

edit: anyone want to buy some amazing land for bitcoins?
JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:36:44 PM

bitcoin is already better than cash Smiley

The only way cash is better than Bitcoin is that it is accepted in more places. Time is on our side.
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:40:04 PM

No sane person would invest in cash, unless the money came from some illegal activity, or one is trying to evade taxes.

I don't have much to say about gold, except that it seems to be vastly overpriced, and its price charts are not nice at all.

Yeah real estate is a really safe investment. No bubbles or wild speculating going on in any real estate market ever. I'm going to buy a house right now. How about this one. The razor wire in the back garden is cute.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48145727.html

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:47:38 PM

ask yourself if it is the house that is worth more or the fiat that is worth less.
JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:48:27 PM

Yeah real estate is a really safe investment. No bubbles or wild speculating going on in any real estate market ever. I'm going to buy a house right now. How about this one. The razor wire in the back garden is cute.

LOL Over a million bucks for that dump?

Being a millionaire aint what it used to be.
NotLambchop

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:49:56 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2014, 08:01:15 PM by NotLambchop

the dollar exchange rate has increased by around 150 times in the last one and a half years - very smart investment Cheesy

you can argue that my assumptions are wrong or that the niche is very small but arguing over charts is beyond stupid

if these assumptions are true and the niche is big enough you can say that investing in this "currency" is sane.

Bitcoin's exchange rate has gone up infinitely over the past five years.  There once was a time when it was worth exactly nothing.  Extrapolating from that, your future profits should also be infinite.

If you wish to get back to reality, you may consider Bitcoin's performance in the more recent past.  Since December of 2013, the price has been steadily declining.

If your reasoning proves anything, it proves entirely too much.  It proves that any investment which did well in some distant past is bound to be profitable in the future.  Regardless of its recent performance.

I hope I do not need to dwell on the folly of such assumptions.

Re. "induction as an indicator over time": wat?

Edit:  When you consider the likely response of governments, which we all know are on the central bankers' leash, the "investment" starts looking even less sane.

NotLambchop

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 07:51:42 PM

edit: anyone want to buy some amazing land for bitcoins?

Post or PM specifics.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1778

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:00:51 PM

Explanation
FNG

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:07:18 PM

Edit:  When you consider the likely response of governments, which we all know are on the central bankers' leash, the "investment" starts looking even less sane.

If Governments had outright banned it we would probably be worth more than we are today. Instead people are waiting to hear.

w/e..distribution takes time. If you have no ability to envision the future, the future where bitcoin plays an integrall part..then maybe you should be spending this portion of your life elsewhere?
nakaone

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:08:03 PM

Bitcoin's exchange rate has gone up infinitely over the past five years.  There once was a time when it was worth exactly nothing.  Extrapolating from that, your future profits should also be infinite.

If you wish to get back to reality, you may consider Bitcoin's performance in recent past.  Since December of 2013, the price has been steadily declining.

If your reasoning proves anything, it proves entirely too much.  It proves that any investment which did well in some distant past is bound to be profitable in the future.  Regardless of its recent performance.

I hope I do not need to dwell on the folly of such assumptions.

Re. "induction as an indicator over time": wat?

what I said is that you cannot take the price as an indicator of the quality of an investment - you cannot build a theory from observation if the observation is constantly changing (as the price or the chart of bitcoin).

what you can do instead is build a set of assumptions and say if they are valid or not valid.

to be fair you need a point of reference - according to this http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1sowur/how_is_a_2600000000000_market_cap_for_btc_possible/

the market cap of gold is 8 trillion, the one of us bonds is 35 trillion - bitcoin at this point of time is 5 billion [I think most people do not realise how small this on a global scale].

so golds market cap is more than 1000 times higher than the one of bitcoin - I assume that bitcoin never catches up, but to assume that there is place to grow is definetely not insane.

at this point we do not know how big the niche of bitcoin in the financial will be and let us not end arguing about pascals wagers, but that the niche is potentially existent is reasonable.

BBmmBB

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:09:24 PM

http://s3.postimg.org/8xttwog4z/DSC_4040.gif
If Governments had outright banned it we would probably be worth more than we are today. Instead people are waiting to hear.

w/e..distribution takes time. If you have no ability to envision the future, the future where bitcoin plays an integrall part..then maybe you should be spending this portion of your life elsewhere?

BITCOIN QT IS A COMPUTER VIRUS GET OVER IT !!!!  Cheesy
Pala_00

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 08:10:14 PM

Pages: « 1 ... 9104 9105 9106 9107 9108 9109 9110 9111 9112 9113 9114 9115 9116 9117 9118 9119 9120 9121 9122 9123 9124 9125 9126 9127 9128 9129 9130 9131 9132 9133 9134 9135 9136 9137 9138 9139 9140 9141 9142 9143 9144 9145 9146 9147 9148 9149 9150 9151 9152 9153 [9154] 9155 9156 9157 9158 9159 9160 9161 9162 9163 9164 9165 9166 9167 9168 9169 9170 9171 9172 9173 9174 9175 9176 9177 9178 9179 9180 9181 9182 9183 9184 9185 9186 9187 9188 9189 9190 9191 9192 9193 9194 9195 9196 9197 9198 9199 9200 9201 9202 9203 9204 ... 33374 »
  Print  

Jump to: