May 13, 2024, 01:54:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 9578 9579 9580 9581 9582 9583 9584 9585 9586 9587 9588 9589 9590 9591 9592 9593 9594 9595 9596 9597 9598 9599 9600 9601 9602 9603 9604 9605 9606 9607 9608 9609 9610 9611 9612 9613 9614 9615 9616 9617 9618 9619 9620 9621 9622 9623 9624 9625 9626 9627 [9628] 9629 9630 9631 9632 9633 9634 9635 9636 9637 9638 9639 9640 9641 9642 9643 9644 9645 9646 9647 9648 9649 9650 9651 9652 9653 9654 9655 9656 9657 9658 9659 9660 9661 9662 9663 9664 9665 9666 9667 9668 9669 9670 9671 9672 9673 9674 9675 9676 9677 9678 ... 33346 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26382650 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:20:38 AM

FOR FUK SAKE

had my leverage stop loss at the motherfucking bottom.

If you have to put your stops so tight, you're using too much leverage.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10241

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:21:12 AM

Welcome back Adam.

i just stopped here to make a buy,

back into the time machine i go.

And all of that talk (news) about your death was highly exaggerated and of course premature.....  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:30:22 AM

You are saying a lot of sensible things, except that horrible formula, which is irrelevant for everything and specially for the value of bitcoins. I believe I have supported that view in my earlier comments.

That horrible formula is just plain bookkeeping, there's no discussion about whether it is correct or not (it applies always, trivially), the discussion is whether it is useful (that is, whether the quantities that appear in it, can be sensibly estimated in an independent way).

We both agree that what sets the price of bitcoin, is the aggregate demand for "holding value in bitcoin" as compared to the offer.  But that doesn't help us much !  We have to know *what drives that demand*.

In other words, what makes "people fight for bitcoins".  What is their *drive*.

For the moment, the drive is of course "to the moon" type of speculation, but that can only last a finite time, and should normally be rooted in an expectation of a high bitcoin price *for another reason*.

Now, I see two drives to "make people fight to have a bitcoin".  One is indeed, "long term store of value", that is, in competition with gold and so on.  Then my formula is still valid, but doesn't mean much, what counts is what fraction of the universal aggregate demand for "long term store of value" will be taken by bitcoin, as compared to gold, stock market, real estate, and all other "stores of value".

The other is that bitcoin is used as money to buy things with.  That *also* implies holding bitcoin, between the time you get it, and the time you spend it.  And *there* my formula is mightily useful.  Because the amount of stuff bought with bitcoin, together with the average holding times between two of such buyings, determines the value of bitcoin.

And now my point is that bitcoin will, if it succeeds, essentially first have to do the *second* thing.  Nobody is going to trust bitcoin as a long term store of value in my opinion before it has settled as "money that buys stuff".  

Of course, in the real market, there will be competition for bitcoin for both uses (to "buy stuff with" and to "store value for much later"), so the effect will compound the prices.  But I would guess that the first part is going to take a long long long time.  
Gold was for a long time a means of payment ; that is why people also considered it as a store of value.  There was trust that gold would still buy stuff 20 years later.  Now, the buying function of gold has essentially disappeared and it has only kept his "store of value" function.  But there is still this century-long trust in gold as store of value which was build up over many many centuries.   It takes a lot of trust to put value in a long-term store.  I don't think that bitcoin will get that trust immediately.  
However, bitcoin as a means of payment, yes, I hope so.  The idea that you have "international money" that is valid everywhere in the world, yes.  And then, if that is the main usage of bitcoin, my formula applies.

The store of value means that what value you put in, you can get out, either when you turn around and do another trade directly, or you hold the value in money for months, years or even generations. I talk about value, not a number of dollars. And you are never guaranteed the value to be constant over time, that is impossible. Bitcoins are designed to not lose value, and the main aspect is the max number of coins in the system.

Yes, that's what "store of value" means.  I agree, except with your last statement.  Nothing can be designed to "not lose value", after all, it is speculative, it depends on the trust people put in it.  Especially in the long term.  What you mean is that bitcoin is a collectable: there's a finite, known amount of it.  Similar to gold (if you include mining reserves under the ground), or to land, or to Rembrandt paintings.  They don't make any anymore.

The speculative aspect is real, but that is only temporary, until the balance between demand to hold and the demand to not hold stabilizes. What we see currently, is that even while the liquidity of bitcoin is far below the liquidity of the respective local fiat currencies, bitcoin is still winning terrain, and since that means higher liquidity for bitcoin, there is no reason for that to stop, until that crucial balance is achieved. So in the end, it will be the best store of value, now you have the possibility to earn something, if you have knowledge and take action.

Yes and no.  That is what we are all hoping for, and that is why I think it is a good bet to buy some bitcoin now.  But actually, we don't really *know* and the real indicator is the price.  We really don't know whether we didn't already reach equilibrium between offer and demand.  Most people holding bitcoin (like me) do this NOT as a store of value, but for purely speculative reasons because they hope "to the moon".  
I'm not even sure that if you were in some sense to know that it is NOT going to the moon, you would still hold bitcoin "as a store of value".  I would think bitcoin too volatile and too risky as compared even to fiat.  I'm only in it because it would be silly to MISS the rocket too the moon.  But for the moment I still consider fiat a surer store of value than bitcoin if there was not the "to the moon" incentive.  
I wouldn't place all of my savings into bitcoin for the moment as a "store of value".

So if this "to the moon" incentive would be gone, I'm not even sure that the demand for store of value would be as large as the people holding coins now.  Most of them are in it for the ticket to the moon, not as a store of value in my opinion.  

So if you want to have an idea of the steady state aggregate demand for "store of value" you should leave out the speculative drive, which is probably the main drive right now to hold coins.  And then, I don't know if many people are in it.

This is why I think that that cannot be the support for the bitcoin price for a long, long time.  I think that the main steady state drive will be "buying stuff", with my formula.

YogoH

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:34:49 AM

the fractal is real, wonder if what happens next will tell the future for the longer term trend
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:40:08 AM

This is why I think that that cannot be the support for the bitcoin price for a long, long time.  I think that the main steady state drive will be "buying stuff", with my formula.

Speculation will be the driving force for Bitcoin until mass adoption.

It was designed by Satoshi to be so. Speculation is the bootstrapping method for Bitcoin to gain mass acceptance and only then will it realize its promises as a mean-of-exchange
dinofelis

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 05:52:02 AM

that monetary velocity formula is a convenient fiction for ivory tower academic economists, e.g. I don't see anything about an human psychology factor in there.

Here's the one I use:

Bmo = N x A

Bmo ~ total value bitcoin M0 (also called 'market cap')
N ~ total number of entities holding bitcoins
A ~ average Amount of value holding entities are willing to hold in btc

It appears likely that N is only going to keep increasing for the forseeable future (perhaps with exponential adoption rates at times).
A will stay around the same but also may increase as the confidence in holding value in btc becomes firmer.

Yes, that is also correct, but it is the aspect of aggregate demand for store of value in bitcoin.  
In fact, you ALSO have a "velocity" aspect in your formula, but it is hidden in N !  
You are considering people "storing value for a long time" in N.  
But it is in fact the "average number of people at a given moment in time wanting to store value A in bitcoin".
This average could be made up by 100 people holding coins indefinitely ; or it could be made up by 1200 people per year wanting to store value A for a month.  Or it could be made up by 10 people per year wanting to store value for 10 years.

As I said in my earlier posting, I don't believe that bitcoin will be considered as a secure store of value for a very, very long time.  I think the main price drive will come from bitcoin buying stuff.

Honestly, would *you* store value in bitcoin right now, if you didn't have any expectation of growth of its value ("to the moon") ?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:01:18 AM

Explanation
brg444

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:02:25 AM

that monetary velocity formula is a convenient fiction for ivory tower academic economists, e.g. I don't see anything about an human psychology factor in there.

Here's the one I use:

Bmo = N x A

It appears likely that N is only going to keep increasing for the forseeable future (perhaps with exponential adoption rates at times).
A will stay around the same but also may increase as the confidence in holding value in btc becomes firmer.

Yes, that is also correct, but it is the aspect of aggregate demand for store of value in bitcoin.  
In fact, you ALSO have a "velocity" aspect in your formula, but it is hidden in N !  
But it is in fact the "average number of people at a given moment in time wanting to store value A in bitcoin".
This average could be made up by 100 people holding coins indefinitely ; or it could be made up by 1200 people per year wanting to store value A for a month.  Or it could be made up by 10 people per year wanting to store value for 10 years.

As I said in my earlier posting, I don't believe that bitcoin will be considered as a secure store of value for a very, very long time.  I think the main price drive will come from bitcoin buying stuff.

Honestly, would *you* store value in bitcoin right now, if you didn't have any expectation of growth of its value ("to the moon") ?

I wouldn't but the reality is the expectation of growth in its value exist and you cannot simply pretend to remove it from your equation because it fits your argument.

Bitcoin is absolutely a secure store of value. More secure than any alternatives on the market. Stable? Obviously not but is stability a requisite to qualify as a store of value? I do not think so. Especially when considering this growth expectation it makes even more sense to store the value of your wealth in such an asset.

If you choose to ignore the daily fluctuation and look at the big picture, Bitcoin has been trending up since its inception. It has been what some would qualify as an EXCELLENT store of value historically, especially for those who were early to adopt it.

So far Bitcoin as grown exactly because of its store of value properties and certainly NOT because of "Bitcoin buying stuff". Why should we expect this to change so soon?
brg444

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:05:55 AM

Here's the one I use:

Bmo = N x A

I wouldn't but the reality is the expectation of growth in its value exist and you cannot simply pretend to remove it from your equation because it fits your argument.

Bitcoin is absolutely a secure store of value. More secure than any alternatives on the market. Stable? Obviously not but is stability a requisite to qualify as a store of value? I do not think so. Especially when considering this growth expectation it makes even more sense to store the value of your wealth in such an asset.

If you choose to ignore the daily fluctuation and look at the big picture, Bitcoin has been trending up since its inception. It has been what some would qualify as an EXCELLENT store of value historically, especially for those who were early to adopt it.

So far Bitcoin as grown exactly because of its store of value properties and certainly NOT because of "Bitcoin buying stuff". Why should we expect this to change so soon?

TL;DR : All hail the hoarders http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/im-hoarding-bitcoins-and-no-you-cant-have-any/
ejinte

Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:09:52 AM

Will my order at 367 get filled?

Nope

Seems like you're right. And now the weekend is coming to an end.  Cry
KFR

Activity: 560

Per ardua ad luna

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:19:22 AM

Welcome back Adam.  Cool
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:26:48 AM

Will my order at 367 get filled?

Nope

Seems like you're right. And now the weekend is coming to an end.  Cry

And yet 370 was so close.

I've missed many times on this kind of shit, by only a couple dollars, and what I've realized is, at some point, you need to just take a position and quit quibbling over the nickels by the tracks while the train is gaining speed.

Again, I can't advise and I only wish you luck.
T-Y-R

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:40:13 AM

Welcome back Adam.

i just stopped here to make a buy,

back into the time machine i go.

http://tiki.oneworld.net/time_machine/images/timemachine.gif

... and a new poll, maybe?
dinofelis

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 06:49:25 AM

You seem to miss the point.  Growth ('to the moon') can obviously not last indefinitely.  At a certain point, steady state will have to set in.  Every form of speculation is essentially based upon a bet on that steady state value which is expected to be higher than right now, so that kind of speculation (which is now the main drive) will have to stop one day.  

So I propose to make the mental exercise to put yourself in the hypothetical situation where you eliminate mentally that speculative purpose, and try to find out your own drive to put value into bitcoin *for store of value* reasons, and not for "to the moon" speculative reasons.  I very well know that the actual situation is the speculative "to the moon" drive.  But in order to find out what is going to be the steady state situation, you have to be able to find out what would be the drive to hold bitcoin *without* speculative "to the moon" drive.

So in order to make that exercise, suppose that six months from now, for one or another reason, the bitcoin price has gone up to $ 500 000,- (and not because the dollar collapsed) and it stays there for 6 other months with fluctuations of 10% or so.  Obviously, at that price, the "to the moon" expectation afterwards is gone.  You do not expect it to rise to 10 million, do you.  You might still hope for a small factor of 2 or 3, but that's it.

Are you going to put your savings at that moment in $ 500 000,- coins ?  Seriously ?
(or are you going to sell part of what you have to cash in ? :-) ).

This, to find out if you *really* consider bitcoin a good store of value for your savings without any "to the moon" speculation anymore, just a reasonable potential to rise somewhat, like other stores of value like gold, real estate and the like.

You are obviously missing the point, right.  *Of course* the speculative drive is the strongest one.  But it cannot last, of course.  Once it is over, I'm trying to find out what would be the drive.  Because ultimately, *that* drive is what is going to give bitcoin any value as store of value.  Otherwise, it is indeed, just Ponzi, if nothing holds it up once it cannot grow anymore.  Just to be clear, I don't think it is Ponzi.  But in order for it not to be, one has a clear view on its fundamentals.  Fundamentals are never "growth to infinity", but are "steady state" arguments that are sustainable.

In the long term, fundamentals always win.  That is why a real Ponzi, which has no fundamentals, always collapses.

So I'm trying to find out what are the fundamentals of bitcoin.  As I said, my opinion is that it is "money to buy stuff".  Some think it is "store of value".  My *opinion* which can be wrong, is that that can only come much later.  But "expectations to the moon" are never fundamentals by themselves.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:01:16 AM

Explanation
dinofelis

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:04:57 AM

Speculation will be the driving force for Bitcoin until mass adoption.

It was designed by Satoshi to be so. Speculation is the bootstrapping method for Bitcoin to gain mass acceptance and only then will it realize its promises as a mean-of-exchange

Of course.  But speculation is always based upon an expectation in the future, and if that expectation is wrong, the speculator looses.  So rational speculation is based upon a long term estimate of the fundamentals.

And my aim here is to find out what those fundamentals are.  As you say, it can be mass adoption as "means-of-exchange", and then the "quantity theory of money" jumps in to indicate what will be the price of things in bitcoin, which will inversely indicate what will be the market price of bitcoin (as compared to other monetary assets such as $ that can buy the same stuff).

The market value of bitcoin "as a means of exchange" will then be the fundamental, and it is determined by how much stuff one can buy with it, and what is the average holding time between such buys, as that will determine the aggregate demand for bitcoin, and hence determine its market value.

The *other* fundamental is "store of value for the long term".  In my opinion, that can only come in once bitcoin is established as a means-of-exchange for some time.  Maybe I'm wrong here.

But speculation by itself, cannot be a fundamental.  It has to AIM for a fundamental.  And I'd like, in this discussion, to find out what it is.

podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:30:05 AM

Should I go long or wait for a dip?? Undecided
lay785

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:32:00 AM

going up and down too much per day. manipulators feeding on peoples longs and shorts.
Bagatell

Activity: 722

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:37:50 AM

going up and down too much per day. manipulators feeding on peoples longs and shorts.

I thought day tarders liked volatility.
brg444

View Profile
November 16, 2014, 07:46:06 AM

You seem to miss the point.  Growth ('to the moon') can obviously not last indefinitely.  At a certain point, steady state will have to set in.  Every form of speculation is essentially based upon a bet on that steady state value which is expected to be higher than right now, so that kind of speculation (which is now the main drive) will have to stop one day.

Steady? As in... fixed? You do know that Bitcoin is a deflationary currency correct? Which means yes, the growth CAN and WILL last indefinitely.  

So I propose to make the mental exercise to put yourself in the hypothetical situation where you eliminate mentally that speculative purpose, and try to find out your own drive to put value into bitcoin *for store of value* reasons, and not for "to the moon" speculative reasons.  I very well know that the actual situation is the speculative "to the moon" drive.  But in order to find out what is going to be the steady state situation, you have to be able to find out what would be the drive to hold bitcoin *without* speculative "to the moon" drive.

Well the list is pretty long, but if you insist here's a few : 1. Deflationary 2. Ideal property as money 3. Distributed and outside the reach of any singular entity (read: government) 4. Programmable 5. Highly secure 6. Unseizable

So in order to make that exercise, suppose that six months from now, for one or another reason, the bitcoin price has gone up to $ 500 000,- (and not because the dollar collapsed) and it stays there for 6 other months with fluctuations of 10% or so.  Obviously, at that price, the "to the moon" expectation afterwards is gone.  You do not expect it to rise to 10 million, do you.  You might still hope for a small factor of 2 or 3, but that's it.

I can certainly envision it reaching 10 million per BTC in my lifetime. But lemme play along to your "scenario"....

Are you going to put your savings at that moment in $ 500 000,- coins ?  Seriously ?
(or are you going to sell part of what you have to cash in ? :-) ).

Roll Eyes

At this point it is clear you have no understanding of the dynamics at stake. At 500,000$ per coin I have no interest for your worthless fiat. No I am NEVER going to cash out because at that point it is clear and beyond evident that BTC has won. So yes, I am going to make sure every single penny I have is used to buy BTC. In fact, disregarding your speculative scenario, I can confirm to you that I am going to make this move MUCH earlier

This, to find out if you *really* consider bitcoin a good store of value for your savings without any "to the moon" speculation anymore, just a reasonable potential to rise somewhat, like other stores of value like gold, real estate and the like.
[/quote]

Bitcoin is a GREAT store of value, the best there is in fact. The reason for this is it is simply the best form of money that has ever been created. Gold pales in comparison to Bitcoin. Real estate can be seized through coercion or devalued by speculative market.

You are obviously missing the point, right.  *Of course* the speculative drive is the strongest one.  But it cannot last, of course.  Once it is over, I'm trying to find out what would be the drive.  Because ultimately, *that* drive is what is going to give bitcoin any value as store of value.  Otherwise, it is indeed, just Ponzi, if nothing holds it up once it cannot grow anymore.  Just to be clear, I don't think it is Ponzi.  But in order for it not to be, one has a clear view on its fundamentals.  Fundamentals are never "growth to infinity", but are "steady state" arguments that are sustainable.

In the long term, fundamentals always win.  That is why a real Ponzi, which has no fundamentals, always collapses.

So I'm trying to find out what are the fundamentals of bitcoin.  As I said, my opinion is that it is "money to buy stuff".  Some think it is "store of value".  My *opinion* which can be wrong, is that that can only come much later.  But "expectations to the moon" are never fundamentals by themselves.

The fundamentals are that Bitcoin is the best form of money that exists. Point blank. Period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkfhi8Eaiw

Pages: « 1 ... 9578 9579 9580 9581 9582 9583 9584 9585 9586 9587 9588 9589 9590 9591 9592 9593 9594 9595 9596 9597 9598 9599 9600 9601 9602 9603 9604 9605 9606 9607 9608 9609 9610 9611 9612 9613 9614 9615 9616 9617 9618 9619 9620 9621 9622 9623 9624 9625 9626 9627 [9628] 9629 9630 9631 9632 9633 9634 9635 9636 9637 9638 9639 9640 9641 9642 9643 9644 9645 9646 9647 9648 9649 9650 9651 9652 9653 9654 9655 9656 9657 9658 9659 9660 9661 9662 9663 9664 9665 9666 9667 9668 9669 9670 9671 9672 9673 9674 9675 9676 9677 9678 ... 33346 »
  Print  

Jump to: