Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:44:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 ... 348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering]  (Read 908419 times)
mgroenouwe

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:48:43 PM

An update on the article at http://www.coindesk.com/massive-concerted-attack-launched-bitcoin-exchanges/:

"Don’t panic

Antonopoulos was keen to stress that, although this is a serious attack, it doesn’t spell the end of bitcoin. He believes the DDoS attack will be “thwarted” and exchanges will be running as usual by Friday.

“I expect things will go back to normal and the honey badger of money can continue showing its resilience,” he said.

“The death of bitcoin has been prematurely announced so many times already that the obvious conclusion is that bitcoin is far more resilient than its critics would like to think. I am confident that in a few days, those who predicted the death of bitcoin will once again be proven wrong,” Antonopoulos concluded.
"
igorr

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 07:48:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2HfFQOvJRc

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
isimme

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:00:50 PM

put strudle on ignore, when is gox next announcement on withdrawl issue?

He's the most valuable poster here imho.  The last of his breed.  I don't use ignore lists, but if I did, I certainly would not put him on it!

+1

I've been lurking in this forum for months, primarily to read what sturle has to say.

+1 to Sturle
He provides useful information and doesn't just insinuate
or FUD(which if he really was a selfish twisted prick of a twat
probably make his endeavors that much more profitable,
hence he is in at least short term sense, working against himself).
Now do I think he sometimes could be more tactful with his messages yes,
implying others are idiots or talking about their Moms is not PC.

If I was able to help you in anyway, tips are appreciated:
1A1RcqRKdApT4ViLmZcdDBES8rov3zjMYp
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 08:03:24 PM

Well now that's a good 72 hour response.  DERP all round.

So, SIMPLE POINT HERE: Why doesn't Gox just take up ONE ALTERNATE CURRENCY?

Why doesn't Gox allow BTC conversion into some crypto which can be sent to a functioning exchange with good IT people?
Is there any functioning exchange right now?  One where you can withdraw BTC?  I would be careful with other cryptocurrencies as well, since all are vulnerable to the same problem.

Do you want some salt on "users of the reference implementation do not need to be concerned", Gavin?
sturle, when IT people sit down to build networks, they do not say "Okay now what about when dozens of transnational gangsters fire their DDOS lazors at us?..."
And neither did MtGox.  Well, MtGox probably more than others.  People who implement financial software in general.

Gavin understands the issue as well now:
Quote from: #bitcoin-dev
20:21 < sturles> At least "users of the reference implementation do not need to be concerned" about this malabillity problem.  But my
           transaction list is beginning to look quite messy, and why are my accounts all messed up?
20:24 < gavinandresen> sturles: mea culpa. Reference implementation definitely needs to be fixed…  but complaining at us won't make it
           get fixed any faster.
But complaining at MtGox will make it get fixed faster.  Of course.

As long as MtGox was the only one affected by this, people spent their time complaining about MtGox.  Now when they finally see what he issue is, they finally start eating their words and fixing their s**t.  And I hear a lot less complaining about MtGox now that all major exchanges have halted BTC withdrawals.  Even those who previously claimed they were immune (e.g. BTC-E).

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:12:03 PM

sturle, when IT people sit down to build networks, they do not say "Okay now what about when dozens of transnational gangsters fire their DDOS lazors at us?..."
And neither did MtGox.  Well, MtGox probably more than others.  People who implement financial software in general.

[...]

As long as MtGox was the only one affected by this, people spent their time complaining about MtGox.  Now when they finally see what he issue is, they finally start eating their words and fixing their s**t.  And I hear a lot less complaining about MtGox now that all major exchanges have halted BTC withdrawals.  Even those who previously claimed they were immune (e.g. BTC-E).

Granted, but frankly this is like, crowd-sourced IT analysis, and yet, some people become billionaires off it, so I understand why the mob will always hate the profiteers.  I hate profiteers myself.

For example, when there is a disaster and the guy starts chraging 500 dollars an hour for the use of his backhoe.  When that guy gets taken out, is anyone surprised?  Does his lawyer show up to hold "court"?  Haha, no.

Also:  The average shopping mall can be converted into a displaced person hotel or prison in a few hours with nothing but chainlink fencing and rifled men.  So, reality seems to be lacking in a lot of these crypto-greed minds.  Anyway, you are right in this post above.  It's kinda like their own egos need to be herded together to make a good solution.

But, it's simple to see that the BTC snobs are fools in the same light.  xD

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:12:43 PM

I don't usually call someone a criminal, but when I do, I make sure they don't have a defence.

I would hesitate to call Strudle a criminal no matter what his relationship and activities with Mt. Gox might be.  It's a small and unregulated dog-eat-dog economy and if someone is expecting to be competitive without employing various forms of favor which would normally be illegal (on paper at least), then they are just to dumb to remain in the game.  And probably won't.

Certain activities occurring inside the Bitcoin ecosystem may eventually filter up to the mainstream court systems, but I'll bet it will be unusual, and the kinds of activities which Strudle/Mt. Gox are theorized to be involved in will not be among them.  My best guess.  At least if they can avoid antagonizing various mainstream law enforcement agencies, and I'm sure that a little data-sharing will smooth any ruffled feathers that might occur in this sphere.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
donk4u
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:31:33 PM

An update on the article at http://www.coindesk.com/massive-concerted-attack-launched-bitcoin-exchanges/:

"Don’t panic

Antonopoulos was keen to stress that, although this is a serious attack, it doesn’t spell the end of bitcoin. He believes the DDoS attack will be “thwarted” and exchanges will be running all the reputable ones ecept for mt gox by Friday.

“I expect things will go back to normal and the honey badger of money can continue showing its resilience,” he said.

“The death of bitcoin has been prematurely announced so many times already that the obvious conclusion is that bitcoin is far more resilient than its critics would like to think. I am confident that in a few days, those who predicted the death of bitcoin will once again be proven wrong,” Antonopoulos concluded.
"

fixed your post to include mt gox as not a reputable exchange anymore. Mt gox code was exploitable so its the fault of bitcoin not the incompetence of mt gox  and customers should take the loss l
aiadvisors

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:31:48 PM

Why don't the exchanges simply employ their very own miner to exclusively verify their own withdrawal transactions either before or at the same instant they are submitted to the bitcoin network thereby eliminating any timeframe in which malleability can take place?

What am I missing here?
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:38:08 PM

Tweets

Kraken ‏@krakenfx 2 Std.

Kraken halts nothing! Because planning. Carry on Smiley
donk4u
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:45:19 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 09:02:28 PM by donk4u

In my case I bought at 25 percent markup on jan 27  recieved 1.1 bitcoin for 1100 when 1 bitcoin was going for 780.  Since that time gox has held my money hostage and i have watched 1100 shrink to 600 usd thanks to a crooked exchange that is holding my money ransom and will not allow me to withdraw for 3d week counting. mtgox will most likey come up with a solution when bitcoin is at 200 or lower. I am resting assured that my coin is safe on gox as bitcoin drops lower and lower every day.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 08:51:17 PM

Certain activities occurring inside the Bitcoin ecosystem may eventually filter up to the mainstream court systems, but I'll bet it will be unusual, and the kinds of activities which Strudle/Mt. Gox are theorized to be involved in will not be among them.  My best guess.  At least if they can avoid antagonizing various mainstream law enforcement agencies, and I'm sure that a little data-sharing will smooth any ruffled feathers that might occur in this sphere.

I am disgruntled that "justice" system is integrated with criminals in the way you described. U.S. system might function well but it has so little to do with plain old justice that a rename might be in order.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:03:49 PM

Tweets

Kraken ‏@krakenfx 2 Std.

Kraken halts nothing! Because planning. Carry on Smiley

quality  Grin

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2014, 09:14:47 PM

You have seemingly ignored me also, because you have not addressed my legitimate concerns about the selective information and selective withdraw privileges of gox...  Roll Eyes
I don't have any selective withdraw privileges.  Mine are the same as those of any other verified user.

Using what I have learned by experience and by filtering useful information from public fora over many years to have a greater chance to succeed when I try to withdraw is not the same as selective withdraw privileges.  Not all my attempts were successful, btw.  I made a number of 10 BTC withdrawals.  Some were successful, some not.  I did it at a time when I had reason to expect a higher success rate, based on public information and my own experience. 

In this case people came to #mtgox and complained about an error message which usually means the bitcoin address entered in the withdrawal form is invalid or indicates an empty hot wallet at MtGox.  This was at the middle of the night Tokyo time, and I knew they would fill up first thing in the morning.  After a couple hours the reports stopped coming, and this would be the sweet spot.  Hot wallet refreshed with old unspent inputs which most likely would be chosen first.  They don't keep dust in their cold wallets, so I could choose a reasonable withdrawal size as well.

No special privileges or access to restricted information needed.  Everything is out in the open for everyone to learn.  I am certainly not the only one unaffiliated with MtGox who used this trick.  The fresh inputs went very quickly.  My only fault here is telling you about it.

At least MtGox credited my failed withdrawals back to my account.  The 8 BTC withdrawal I made from Bitstamp this morning is still listed as "Finished", but nothing arrived, nothing credited back and support are quiet.  AFAIK Bitstamp has no IRC support either.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
itsunderstood

American1973

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:17:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiie_zmSr8

ARR The Alan Parsons Project- Eye in the Sky Album:Eye in the Sky (1982)

Don't think sorry's easily said
Don't try turning tables instead
You've taken lots of chances before
But I'm not gonna give anymore
Don't ask me
That's how it goes
Cause part of me knows what youre thinkin

Don't say words youre gonna regret
Don't let the fire rush to your head
Ive heard the accusation before
And I ain't gonna take any more
Believe me
The sun in your eyes
Made some of the lies worth believing

Chorus:
I am the eye in the sky
Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules
Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind
And I dont need to see any more
To know that
I can read your mind, I can read your mind

Dont leave false illusions behind
Dont cry cause I aint changing my mind
So find another fool like before
Cause I aint gonna live anymore believing
Some of the lies while all of the signs are deceiving

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
donk4u
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:23:27 PM

If i was getting .50 on 1 dollar and withdrawing like the plus 1 man i would love gox too i don't know if I could be scummy enough to do that if i had the chance though. If gox wasn't the dishonest company they are plus 1 man wouldn't have the opportunity to commit these dishonest and imo criminal acts.
itsunderstood

American1973

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:33:05 PM

If i was getting .50 on 1 dollar and withdrawing like the plus 1 man i would love gox too i don't know if I could be scummy enough to do that if i had the chance though. If gox wasn't the dishonest company they are plus 1 man wouldn't have the opportunity to commit these dishonest and imo criminal acts.

I vote your attitude bolded above as the best way to have a functioning cooperation.

donk4u
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:37:45 PM

I vote your attitude bolded above as the best way to have a functioning cooperation.

Lolz i have a hard time understanding you. Are you saying giving people the ability to withdraw while denying others to do so and having those that can withdraw rape those that can't is the way to function? Maybe you are being incredibly sarcastic and my ability to be jovial or joke  has been affected during this ordeal. I am guessing its the latter. :/ 
itsunderstood

American1973

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:46:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWesxME9Cto&list=PL7B64C0AC7DE05636&feature=player_detailpage

ARR - I Get Around by The Beach Boys from Sounds of Summer
Lyrics:

[...]

I get around
Get around round round I get around
From town to town
I'm a real cool head
I'm makin' real good bread
I get around
Round
Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah

itsunderstood

American1973

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 09:48:06 PM

Lolz i have a hard time understanding you.

[...]

I'm sayin that since you still have enough dignity NOT to be a thief, then you're okay in my book.

Everyone should have "a book" in which people are either good or bad.  Like Santa, knowmsayin?

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 10:06:55 PM

You have seemingly ignored me also, because you have not addressed my legitimate concerns about the selective information and selective withdraw privileges of gox...  Roll Eyes
I don't have any selective withdraw privileges.  Mine are the same as those of any other verified user.

Using what I have learned by experience and by filtering useful information from public fora over many years to have a greater chance to succeed when I try to withdraw is not the same as selective withdraw privileges.  Not all my attempts were successful, btw.  I made a number of 10 BTC withdrawals.  Some were successful, some not.  I did it at a time when I had reason to expect a higher success rate, based on public information and my own experience. 

In this case people came to #mtgox and complained about an error message which usually means the bitcoin address entered in the withdrawal form is invalid or indicates an empty hot wallet at MtGox.  This was at the middle of the night Tokyo time, and I knew they would fill up first thing in the morning.  After a couple hours the reports stopped coming, and this would be the sweet spot.  Hot wallet refreshed with old unspent inputs which most likely would be chosen first.  They don't keep dust in their cold wallets, so I could choose a reasonable withdrawal size as well.

No special privileges or access to restricted information needed.  Everything is out in the open for everyone to learn.  I am certainly not the only one unaffiliated with MtGox who used this trick.  The fresh inputs went very quickly.  My only fault here is telling you about it.

At least MtGox credited my failed withdrawals back to my account.  The 8 BTC withdrawal I made from Bitstamp this morning is still listed as "Finished", but nothing arrived, nothing credited back and support are quiet.  AFAIK Bitstamp has no IRC support either.

Thank you for information. I have a hard time believing that a Norwegian could be a liar. So I wait until Mt.Gox destiny is sealed, at which point it is evident if they have all the bitcoins or not. Even if they do have them, they are still criminals in my book based on their past actions, some of which I have divulged in this thread. If they don't, you will have to admit that you were wrong all the time, leading others to destruction. At that point there will certainly be investigation on your role also.

All I want is to root out the evil from Bitcoin. I am not accepting any compensation from anyone for my losses caused by Gox crimes, unless the widows and orphans share the same pool prorated. I also hope that you cease to call them "useful idiots" solely on the grounds that their trust on the Foundation-Endorsed Market Leader has been obscenely exploited.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Pages: « 1 ... 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 ... 348 »
  Print  

Jump to: