Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:50:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 146 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][HLM] HELIUM  (Read 189395 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Nikolaj

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 11:07:19 AM

..when you do visit though - stay in touch - as a coffee is not far off Wink ...

Coffee?

Are you the only Aussie bloke who doesn't drink beer?

Thanks for the offer, coffee would be good, I guess  Undecided

i must be ...

no alcohol - no drugs - no smoking ... thats no smoking anything ...

so yup - looks like i am Wink ...

#crysx

Tea eventually? I could bring you so.e real nice coffe from Italy then  Grin

It's a shame that I can't let you taste then the cannellino passito of frascati (very particular wine, amazing)
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KarmaShark

Activity: 615
Merit: 554

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 11:55:00 AM

Friendly reminder to anyone who would like to become involved in the Helium project - Contact Coins101 or myself for a slack channel invite, the party is just getting started  Grin
KarmaShark

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 12:48:05 PM

How would you protect yourself from being scammed by someone sending and claiming hes/her amount of SPR , multiple times...

As the OP states, there is no definitive plan yet for how we will be handling the economic fork (coin swap) of SPR and HLM. Rest assured, whether a escrow-type system or blockchain snapshot is used to perform this we will ensure every security measure is taken. Credibility, transparency and trust are all virtues that Helium Development Team takes very seriously.

Bookmark this thread as we will endeavor to update it regularly with the most current information. And, when in doubt, you can always reach out to Coins101 or myself for now. Thank you for following along with us on the Helium project.

chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2017, 01:26:11 PM

..when you do visit though - stay in touch - as a coffee is not far off Wink ...

Coffee?

i must be ...

#crysx

It's a shame that I can't let you taste then the cannellino passito of frascati (very particular wine, amazing)

that would be great ...

i dont drink - smoke - or do any drugs ... but the COFFEE ...

definitely ... Wink ...

one day a visit in order - or an invite to australia ... we can make a week of it - and a holiday also ....

#crysx

SockPuppetAccount

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

MiG Messenger - earn while chatting

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2017, 03:28:01 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 04:08:47 PM by SockPuppetAccount

I have been thinking about it, and I believe I have a solution for how to handle the coinswap that is very different from the idea coins101 originally put forward but solves all the problems we have already discussed (and a few we haven't).  Burn the SPR.  Hear me out....

There are 2 types of investors who are taking interest in HLM right now, previous members of the SPR community who are happy to see they have free HLM coming to them and people like me who just bought into SPR for the first time.  As HLM attracts more attention and the run up to the swap grows near, we are going to see a run up in the price of SPR financed solely by new investors for the sake of getting HLM.

What do you see happening to the price of SPR the moment the snapshot or coinswap takes place?  EPIC CRASH.  New investors will be racing to dump their SPR, as they will have a chance to recoup their initial investment (OR MORE!) and still have their HLM.

What do you see happening to the price of HLM the moment it launches?  EPIC CRASH.  It will never be able to sustain the marketcap it establishes for itself before the economic fork.  Long time SPR holders (and even the new investors who are able to dump their SPR to recoup their BTC) will have no skin in the game when it comes to HLM.  They are free coins to them.

The SPR market is in reality the SPR+HLM market until HLM launches on it's own.  With a burn, the value the market places on SPR+HLM can be cleanly and gently split in two once HLM launches.  With a coinswap (or more accurately the 1:1 coin match), you are attempting to take the value of SPR+HLM and **poof** double it in an instant when no appropriate investment has been made to justify it.  The markets will be ugly because they will correct for this.

SPR holders who would like to be involved in both coins may not be happy about this, but they should think of it this way.  Let's say 50% of all SPR gets burned.  Any SPR holder who burns 50% of his coins will end up with essentially the same number of coins if they view their holdings as a proportion of the total coin supply (which is the correct way to view your holdings anyway).

There are other positives to a burn :

-No worries about people scamming by swapping the same coins multiple times

-Transparency (everyone will be able to view the public burn address on the SPR block explorer)

-No need for a snapshot

-No need to get Bittrex on board
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 04:26:12 PM

Personally, I'm not keen on the idea of sending SPR's to a burn address, but you've taken the time and effort to put together a reasoned argument, so we'll put the suggestion into the pot and let everyone have their view.

We are just going in a different direction to SPR. All the development currently within SPR has a two year history but we've reached the point of divergence. The two projects have different paths, but they will still both exist.
antonio8
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 04:42:38 PM

I have been thinking about it, and I believe I have a solution for how to handle the coinswap that is very different from the idea coins101 originally put forward but solves all the problems we have already discussed (and a few we haven't).  Burn the SPR.  Hear me out....

There are 2 types of investors who are taking interest in HLM right now, previous members of the SPR community who are happy to see they have free HLM coming to them and people like me who just bought into SPR for the first time.  As HLM attracts more attention and the run up to the swap grows near, we are going to see a run up in the price of SPR financed solely by new investors for the sake of getting HLM.

What do you see happening to the price of SPR the moment the snapshot or coinswap takes place?  EPIC CRASH.  New investors will be racing to dump their SPR, as they will have a chance to recoup their initial investment (OR MORE!) and still have their HLM.

What do you see happening to the price of HLM the moment it launches?  EPIC CRASH.  It will never be able to sustain the marketcap it establishes for itself before the economic fork.  Long time SPR holders (and even the new investors who are able to dump their SPR to recoup their BTC) will have no skin in the game when it comes to HLM.  They are free coins to them.

The SPR market is in reality the SPR+HLM market until HLM launches on it's own.  With a burn, the value the market places on SPR+HLM can be cleanly and gently split in two once HLM launches.  With a coinswap (or more accurately the 1:1 coin match), you are attempting to take the value of SPR+HLM and **poof** double it in an instant when no appropriate investment has been made to justify it.  The markets will be ugly because they will correct for this.

SPR holders who would like to be involved in both coins may not be happy about this, but they should think of it this way.  Let's say 50% of all SPR gets burned.  Any SPR holder who burns 50% of his coins will end up with essentially the same number of coins if they view their holdings as a proportion of the total coin supply (which is the correct way to view your holdings anyway).

-Transparency (everyone will be able to view the public burn address on the SPR block explorer)

-No need for a snapshot

I agree with coins101

I am not in favor of a burn.

As you said you are new to SPR but some of us have year/s invested in SPR to just burn them.

If you are going to leave your BTC on an exchange please send it to this address instead 1GH3ub3UUHbU5qDJW5u3E9jZ96ZEmzaXtG, I will at least use the money better than someone who steals it from the exchange. Thanks Wink
KarmaShark

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 05:13:10 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2017, 05:33:36 PM by KarmaShark

We are just going in a different direction to SPR. All the development currently within SPR has a two year history but we've reached the point of divergence. The two projects have different paths, but they will still both exist.

Well said.

This cannot be emphasized enough early on with the Helium project. Spreadcoin is a separate project that the Helium team supports and frankly is very excited about. GeorgeM has spent a considerable amount of time putting together his ideas for the project. There will be releases coming out on SPR and this has, is currently and will continue to bring unique value to SPR.

There is no doubt that the HLM influence is having currently however context is very important here. Both projects will do well independent of each other going forward. Ultimately, all well reasoned suggestions (and I feel the above suggestion is just that) will be looked at closely. There is no conjecture regarding the history of Spreadcoin's original vision and how that is being put forth into Helium, thus Spread holders will not be left out in the cold after several years of support (in terms of time, emotion and finances).

How we decide to administer that process will be ironed out over the coming weeks and months. Thank you to everyone for taking the time to give their valuable feedback, this is quite literally part of the community engagement Helium is going to be renowned for.
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 05:14:54 PM

Hear me out....

You're my kind of community member. Ready to pitch in ideas and make the effort to explain your view.

Thank you.
Nikolaj

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 11:04:08 PM

Coffee?

i must be ...

#crysx

that would be great ...

i dont drink - smoke - or do any drugs ... but the COFFEE ...

definitely ... Wink ...

one day a visit in order - or an invite to australia ... we can make a week of it - and a holiday also ....

#crysx

We'll have the occasion for sure, mate. Have a good day (for you, here it's 00:03 am Smiley )
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 11:35:46 PM

I would have thought the same thing, then I participated in the byteball miracle. That's the one where they gave away byteball to bitcoin holders by doing a snapshot, and the price rose nearly to $100 anyways. Still sitting over $50.

As long as HLM is a credible project, I don't see why it can't do the same.
AnotherNode

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

Nodes That Serve

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 01:13:58 AM

As long as HLM is a credible project

Fairly rare these days for legendary members to be the OP of a new project.

>No ICO
>A decent proposal and ready made white paper
>Looks like a few people are part of the development team already
>Plenty of notice being given
>Cool project name
>Patents (will be interesting to see how that plays out)
>Ideas already used by another project which has seen a $250m increase in value from those ideas

Looks credible to me  Cheesy

ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 01:19:10 AM

I am interested in potentially adding this to http://icocountdown.com

Email: alex@icocountdown.com

Telegram: @Alexanderico

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 01:23:46 AM

maybe you should change the name to COIn countdown instead ...

since there is no ICO in coin ... especially this one ...

Wink ...

#crysx

ICOcountdown.com

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 01:24:40 AM

Wink ...

#crysx

If it's mining thats fine, we have musicoin, veltor and pascal.

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 01:27:34 AM

Wink ...

#crysx

i was just having a play on the words / letters mate ...

thats all ... no harm ...

but you are right - a countdown would be nice ... WHEN a time is clarified and set in concrete ...

#crysx

coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 01:41:07 AM

Wink ...

#crysx

We're likely to get some dates discussed later this week. When that's done, someone will probably email you.
entropycoin

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 05:16:38 AM

-No need for a snapshot

Also not in favor of burning spr to obtain hlm. it introduces competition from the onset between the two projects and effectively divides a community.

The two for one deal acts as a mutualism until the hlm launch date at which point the coins can stand on their technical merits and community structure. Also, it helps mend some wounds caused by lack of spr transparency/pay per view structure.

Perhaps it will light a fire within spr. If not, perhaps spr loses steam. But it won't matter if hlm hits $1/coin. And if both projects prove to be sucessful, even better. Essentially it doesn't force a choice, and will (atleast initially) bring in new folks and increase interest in both projects. From there it's up to the respective development teams.

DRK: Xi2c97ZMtfU2nMeJkY1kD1Ry3tmRnnQfHP
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 05:40:56 AM

I don't think sending the majority of all SPR to escrows is a good idea.

I'm not comfortable with risking it. I find burning to be also a bad idea.

Why not just set a future block and use that date to determine all SPR balances (ignoring all transactions after the selected block height) and have people sign their addresses to prove ownership and claim?

This requires manual work but latecomers could claim as well because it's clear to prove past balances.

A full snapshot would probably be the best solution but what would happen to exchange addresses with lot of coins?

But with manual swap the devs would have to also hold a huge amount of coins waiting for swap which some might dislike.

Not your keys, not your coins!
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 10:17:05 AM

...Why not just set a future block and use that date to determine all SPR balances (ignoring all transactions after the selected block height) and have people sign their addresses to prove ownership and claim?

I too was thinking about a block height cut off.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 146 »
  Print  

Jump to: