Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:38:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 146 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][HLM] HELIUM  (Read 189395 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
SockPuppetAccount

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

MiG Messenger - earn while chatting

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2017, 05:08:09 PM

i was actually saying that at the time when community AND dev were saying NO POOLS - i was mining with a pool AND optimized miner ...

i didnt say much in the beginning - but when i did - no one believed me ... which was great because i had the private pool all to myself and a few others that knew about it ... that was it  ...

nowadays - you make it sound like it was just a known fact that pools existed for it all the time ... it didnt ... there was a NO POOLS connection with spreadcoin -

I didn't mean to suggest it has been a known fact since the beginning that SPR pools were possible.  I am new around here.  I paid attention to SPR for like a week when it first launched, then forgot it existed.  I would have no clue it was still alive if the HLM thread hadn't caught my attention.

I'm saying that in early March after I found out about HLM, I decided to look into SPR a bit and found this description of spread-x11 on it's ANN

SpreadX11 is different from plain X11 by introducing a sophisticated pool prevention mechanism.

With SpreadX11 every block header contains additional information (MinerSignature and hashWholeBlock).
With the help of this information the protocol ensures that the miner of a new block is always also the first one to know the content of the whole block
and the private key to spend the coinbase transaction. (contrary to pool mining where the pool operator is the first one to know those things)

So when a miner finds a block, he must himself sign and transmit the block to the network (like solo mining), instead of having a pool handle this for him.

This effectively prevents pools by making their rules non-enforceable,
since any miner in any assumed pool can always just steal the block reward
instead of following the rules set up by the pool.

After reading this, my first thought was, "Well, it doesn't sound like this prevents pool mining at all.  Simply shifts the burden of trust from the pool operator to the miners."

So even without you publicly confirming the fact, I already knew SPR could still technically be pool mined.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2017, 07:45:49 PM

Please coins101, do not hobble HLM with spread-x11.

It's not on the agenda for the launch. Things might change in the future, but it will create some headaches at the start.

We're getting some feedback and input from very respected miner developers on options.
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2017, 10:08:07 AM

i was actually saying that at the time when community AND dev were saying NO POOLS - i was mining with a pool AND optimized miner ...

i didnt say much in the beginning - but when i did - no one believed me ... which was great because i had the private pool all to myself and a few others that knew about it ... that was it  ...

nowadays - you make it sound like it was just a known fact that pools existed for it all the time ... it didnt ... there was a NO POOLS connection with spreadcoin -

I didn't mean to suggest it has been a known fact since the beginning that SPR pools were possible.  I am new around here.  I paid attention to SPR for like a week when it first launched, then forgot it existed.  I would have no clue it was still alive if the HLM thread hadn't caught my attention.

I'm saying that in early March after I found out about HLM, I decided to look into SPR a bit and found this description of spread-x11 on it's ANN

SpreadX11 is different from plain X11 by introducing a sophisticated pool prevention mechanism.

With SpreadX11 every block header contains additional information (MinerSignature and hashWholeBlock).
With the help of this information the protocol ensures that the miner of a new block is always also the first one to know the content of the whole block
and the private key to spend the coinbase transaction. (contrary to pool mining where the pool operator is the first one to know those things)

So when a miner finds a block, he must himself sign and transmit the block to the network (like solo mining), instead of having a pool handle this for him.

This effectively prevents pools by making their rules non-enforceable,
since any miner in any assumed pool can always just steal the block reward
instead of following the rules set up by the pool.

After reading this, my first thought was, "Well, it doesn't sound like this prevents pool mining at all.  Simply shifts the burden of trust from the pool operator to the miners."

So even without you publicly confirming the fact, I already knew SPR could still technically be pool mined.

indeed ...

well - there are other priorities obviously - but for those that mine - it would be a debate to have ...

#crysx

chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2017, 10:11:25 AM

Please coins101, do not hobble HLM with spread-x11.

It's not on the agenda for the launch. Things might change in the future, but it will create some headaches at the start.

We're getting some feedback and input from very respected miner developers on options.

nice ...

i hope wolf and tpruvot are two of those very respected miner devs ( among other like tsiv - klaust - icantnamethemallhere ) ...

my advice is leave sp out of it - or there will be issues when he gets his mits on it ...

just my 7btc worth ...

#crysx

BlastHazard

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

The World We Live In Today...

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 10:19:44 AM

Why not Sulfur Hexafluoride instead of Helium ? Being a Vader is better than a tiny Tim.
kakade

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 10:47:49 AM

cannot waiting helium bounty campaign information sir

MoozicoreWORLDS FIRST MUSIC STREAMING SERVICE ON BLOCKCHAIN

█████                     █████
  ███████                   ███████
  ███████       █████       ███████
  ███████      ███████      ███████
   █████        █████        █████
sid3bysid3

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 11:05:44 AM

Do you have a relese date sir?
KarmaShark

Activity: 615
Merit: 554

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 05:47:28 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2017, 06:22:28 PM by KarmaShark

Happy Monday to everyone!

The Helium Development team would like to open up our slack channel to the public. If you are interested in joining the Helium project, learn more about what we are creating or just want to hang out and chat with some very cool people, here is your chance:

https://heliumslack.herokuapp.com/

There is a much more conversation happening in our slack channel as well as great knowledge being shared. Looking forward to seeing you all in there and creating some History together!

- Jason
KarmaShark

View Profile
March 28, 2017, 01:26:14 PM

The launch date for Helium will be announced soon. To get the most up to date information on the project, please feel free to join our open Slack channel (posted directly above this post).

FreedomFund

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 02:39:17 AM

The launch date for Helium will be announced soon. To get the most up to date information on the project, please feel free to join our open Slack channel (posted directly above this post).

Very Excited for this project! The management team is looking solid here. Check out the Slack channel for more information.

Blockchain TV - Telling the stories of global blockchain adoption
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 02:22:15 PM

Would be terrific if we could sign up for an email notification of launch somewhere. Some of us need push notifications to be reminded because we can't keep track of all our Slack channels. Smiley
KarmaShark

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 02:59:35 PM

Would be terrific if we could sign up for an email notification of launch somewhere. Some of us need push notifications to be reminded because we can't keep track of all our Slack channels. Smiley

Your suggestion is noted. Once I have the new website up and functioning at HeliumPay.com I will look into getting something setup there like this.

operabit
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 04:56:41 PM

Happy Monday to everyone!

The Helium Development team would like to open up our slack channel to the public. If you are interested in joining the Helium project, learn more about what we are creating or just want to hang out and chat with some very cool people, here is your chance:

There is a much more conversation happening in our slack channel as well as great knowledge being shared. Looking forward to seeing you all in there and creating some History together!

- Jason

Yeah I want to join and see further development.
xcx

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2017, 06:06:24 PM

Looking forward to Helium and the many possibilities it brings along for us in the blockchain ecosystem.
It's exciting to be a part of the slack and i like to invite as many people to join us there.
Here is the link:

Let us connect and build something worthwhile together.

See you there!

-RA
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 30, 2017, 04:03:00 PM

Karmashark raised a good point about collateral requirements.

Lets open up a discussion on masternode collateral. Here are some options:

We do need to seek views as people will have opinions on affordability of masternodes and distribution around early investors. We will have some limits as to what we can do to please everyone, but lets give it a go.

From my perspective, 10,000 HLM generates too few servers. We'll be looking to run millions of user accounts so we have to take into account the numbers of severs we can run on the network to spread and carry the load.

We also need to take into account 5%-20% of nodes going down at any one point due to DDoS attacks; day to day redundancy; and network performance as experienced by users.

250 HLM is towards the range we're interested in, but we won't need that level of capacity for a decade or more, so it creates a sybil risk until the price of HLM rises.

800 HLM to 1,250 HLM for collateral is the range that gives a good compromise between economic barrier to sybil attacks and providing sufficient room for supporting ordinary payments users on the network.

Then we need to factor the current and near future coin supply. This has an impact on the choices we make now and in the near future.

We can change the rules down the road, but that would disrupt business as usual for everyone running masternodes. Running a 24/7 payments network for tens of millions of users means we'll have to look at migrate+upgrade (really hard) vs upgrade only if we ever need to switch the protocol while trying to meet end user SLAs.

We will have 2 or 3 hard forks between launch and the end of 2018. We won't be anywhere near capacity by the end of 2018, so we can come back to this issue in 2018 when we start planning for something that will last for 10-20 years in terms of the collateral vs. server capacity.

Bump for some new faces.

We're due to make a decision on this pretty soon.
KarmaShark

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 01:52:47 PM

Karmashark raised a good point about collateral requirements.

Lets open up a discussion on masternode collateral. Here are some options:

We do need to seek views as people will have opinions on affordability of masternodes and distribution around early investors. We will have some limits as to what we can do to please everyone, but lets give it a go.

From my perspective, 10,000 HLM generates too few servers. We'll be looking to run millions of user accounts so we have to take into account the numbers of severs we can run on the network to spread and carry the load.

We also need to take into account 5%-20% of nodes going down at any one point due to DDoS attacks; day to day redundancy; and network performance as experienced by users.

250 HLM is towards the range we're interested in, but we won't need that level of capacity for a decade or more, so it creates a sybil risk until the price of HLM rises.

800 HLM to 1,250 HLM for collateral is the range that gives a good compromise between economic barrier to sybil attacks and providing sufficient room for supporting ordinary payments users on the network.

Then we need to factor the current and near future coin supply. This has an impact on the choices we make now and in the near future.

We can change the rules down the road, but that would disrupt business as usual for everyone running masternodes. Running a 24/7 payments network for tens of millions of users means we'll have to look at migrate+upgrade (really hard) vs upgrade only if we ever need to switch the protocol while trying to meet end user SLAs.

We will have 2 or 3 hard forks between launch and the end of 2018. We won't be anywhere near capacity by the end of 2018, so we can come back to this issue in 2018 when we start planning for something that will last for 10-20 years in terms of the collateral vs. server capacity.

Bump for some new faces.

We're due to make a decision on this pretty soon.

Last call on the topic of collateral count for the Masternodes. If you have an opinion on this now is the time to make your voice heard as we will be finalizing this next week.
blocks.explorer

Activity: 473
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 01:55:39 PM

What's this about? Will there be an ICO?
KarmaShark

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 02:22:02 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2017, 03:23:03 PM by KarmaShark

What's this about? Will there be an ICO?

Helium will not be conducting an ICO. Rather, there is a coin distribution happening. Helium will be given out to holders of Spreadcoin on a well advertised date in the near future, using a blockchain snapshot. Information on this is in the OP however launch details will be made public soon.

In the meantime, if you want to keep up to date and see the makings of a new payments system and blockchain platform come to life, join us in the Helium slack channel:

Hope to see you there,

Jason
sid3bysid3

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 02:58:43 PM

No release date yet?
KarmaShark

View Profile
April 01, 2017, 03:20:31 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2017, 11:03:33 PM by KarmaShark

No release date yet?

The launch date along with the coin distribution details will be made public once everything is finalized. Thanks for checking in on us.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 146 »
  Print  

Jump to: