Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:30:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Asic for SIA - Obelisk SC1  (Read 29188 times)
hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 04:01:17 AM

Very itriguing. Pretty sick gamble. Do they have a working prototype already or are they still scratching their heads and trying to figure it out ? And if it goes south there is no chance whatsoever of getting your money back ? I mean.. world of crypto is changing pretty fast and 1 year is long time...
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sevenmiles

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 04:05:55 AM

I think the dev team should disclose the progress and at least concept design of the machine Grin

hangar18

Activity: 676
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 04:44:08 AM

were is this miner available to order?

https://obelisk.tech

There is also a calculator that estimates ~150,000 SC a month. At current price of ~.005 that is $750 a month.
Do you have calculated the diff in next time after Asic release? I think if have Asic for mining Sia the diff mining will increasing very more, as other crypto the profit will decreasing soon.
jezus

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 05:29:39 AM

When i can see obelisk sc1?

█████████████████████████████████████████
██                                     ██
██ █████████████▄ ▀███████████████████ ██
██ ██          ▀██▄ ▀██▄            ██ ██
██ ██            ▀██▄ ▀██▄          ██ ██
██ ██              ▀██▄ ▀██▄        ██ ██
██ ██                ▀██▄ ▀██▄  ▄▄████ ██
██ ██                  ▀██▄ ▀████▀▀    ██
██ ██                    ▀██▄ ▀▀ ▄████ ██
██ ██▄                     ▀██  ██  ██ ██
██ █████▄                 ▄▄██  ██  ██ ██
██     ▀███▄        ▄▄██████▀ ▄▄ ▀████ ██
██ ████▄ ▀▀██ ▄▄██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄████▄▄    ██
██ ██  ██  ▀███▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀████ ██
██ ██  ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▄           ██ ██
██ ████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▄          ██ ██
██   ▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀█ ██   ██ █▄         ██ ██
██ ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ███████ █████████████ ██
██                                     ██
█████████████████████████████████████████
LASER ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
BLOCKCHAIN WITHOUT BORDERS

A BLOCKCHAIN-AGNOSTIC SERVICE LAYER
FOR IMPROVED SPEED, ANONYMITY, AND INTEROPERABILITY
[]
ekrififi (OP)

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 09:14:40 AM

were is this miner available to order?

Obelisk.tech
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 09:30:57 AM

*goes to preorder*
Sees "*orders are estimated to ship by June, 2018."
Me: ...
ekrififi (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 09:37:54 AM

Very itriguing. Pretty sick gamble. Do they have a working prototype already or are they still scratching their heads and trying to figure it out ? And if it goes south there is no chance whatsoever of getting your money back ? I mean.. world of crypto is changing pretty fast and 1 year is long time...

The last I heard from their slack / reddit thread is that they were designing the chip, and that the SC1 will be able to do 250 GH /s, instead of the original conservative 100gh/s promised before they opened pre-sale orders. A lot of people made the point that if a couple thousand ASICs are unleashed on the network, it doesn't really matter how powerful they are... they'll just be competing over the same block rewards, but I don't think that's the case. Some GPUs are still likely to mine against superior technology, the way that old scrypt and sha asics continue to mine. This upgrade in hashrate should bring the gpu miners' percentage, as well as discourage competition.

Yes, a year is a long time (tho it is already a month sooner), but the future does happen. I suppose they could butterfly labs the presale buyers, but I don't know. The Obelisk company has the same development team as the coin itself, and they've been pretty active and open, especially compared to most other cryptos.

I suppose we'll see, but if they deliver, It could be a pretty good way to secure a near mining monopoly on an up and coming coin, while the other asic algos get saturated with hardware...

Just my 2 satoshis...
ekrififi (OP)

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 10:31:47 AM

I'm consulting on the ASIC design here - it's currently in progress.

Welcome to the thread.

Is there anything you can share regarding the progress of this ASIC is it on schedule? Isthe 250 GH rate speculation, or based on something more concrete? Is  development in line with the original schedule.

Any insight you can share would be greaty appreciated...
dazbog835

Activity: 132
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:08:36 PM

seems like a really smart investment however i look at it, yet still I can't seem to decide. I wish I could know if they were still going to be on sale in september...

and I wish somebody could decide for me Cheesy Cheesy
superskillz

Activity: 122

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:49:34 PM

*goes to preorder*
Sees "*orders are estimated to ship by June, 2018."
Me: ...

Yeah, the delay kinda stinks. However, they said they would target as early as February 2018 -- just not a commitment.

nastydevil

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:44:42 AM

update: it's been 8 days, almost 9 now that the pre order is showing 1350. thats approx 65 orders per day. if no one orders for 8 day straight thats 1/520 or 0.19% chance of it happening lol..
http://imgur.com/a/iPZMd
sevenmiles

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 03:55:40 AM

I'm consulting on the ASIC design here - it's currently in progress.

Welcome to the thread.

Is there anything you can share regarding the progress of this ASIC is it on schedule? Isthe 250 GH rate speculation, or based on something more concrete? Is  development in line with the original schedule.

Any insight you can share would be greaty appreciated...

It's a (if I'm honest) really conservative estimate based on simulations done for the initial design.
How about timeline? Possible to get it before Mar 2018?

hanskan

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 10:20:29 AM

The last I heard from their slack / reddit thread is that they were designing the chip, and that the SC1 will be able to do 250 GH /s, instead of the original conservative 100gh/s promised before they opened pre-sale orders. A lot of people made the point that if a couple thousand ASICs are unleashed on the network, it doesn't really matter how powerful they are... they'll just be competing over the same block rewards, but I don't think that's the case. Some GPUs are still likely to mine against superior technology, the way that old scrypt and sha asics continue to mine. This upgrade in hashrate should bring the gpu miners' percentage, as well as discourage competition.

Yes, a year is a long time (tho it is already a month sooner), but the future does happen. I suppose they could butterfly labs the presale buyers, but I don't know. The Obelisk company has the same development team as the coin itself, and they've been pretty active and open, especially compared to most other cryptos.

I suppose we'll see, but if they deliver, It could be a pretty good way to secure a near mining monopoly on an up and coming coin, while the other asic algos get saturated with hardware...

Just my 2 satoshis...

250 GH/s would be pretty sick.. should just take take risk and order it. I'm just bit worried that bigger asic developers like Bitmain will announce their SIA ASIC in 2 months, same speed/price and delivery is in January lol
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 02:49:07 PM

250 GH/s would be pretty sick.. should just take take risk and order it. I'm just bit worried that bigger asic developers like Bitmain will announce their SIA ASIC in 2 months, same speed/price and delivery is in January lol

I seriously doubt SIA is on Bitmain's radar just yet.  That all could change quickly however if the price surges.  It wasn't until Dash caught fire that anyone was taking it very seriously.  The small guys who managed to build an X11 miner and those who bought them when it didn't make a lot of sense financially came out in a pretty good place.  But you had to be willing to go against the grain a bit to have that happen for you. 

By the time people figure out something is a good idea it is too late.  The big move in price, performance, availability is gone.  So I think people just need to think in those terms.

The Obelisk is a an against the grain kind of move.  It may be a flop, it may not happen, or it may be a huge windfall for those who took the risk and locked in these miners.  Once people finally decide it is a good idea you won't be able to find these things as they won't be able to produce them or produce them fast enough. 

I haven't bought one yet, but I hope to scrape up some cash to at least get one.  I will probably wish I had bought as many as I could get my hands on.
ekrififi (OP)

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 07:40:21 PM

I seriously doubt SIA is on Bitmain's radar just yet.  That all could change quickly however if the price surges.  It wasn't until Dash caught fire that anyone was taking it very seriously.  The small guys who managed to build an X11 miner and those who bought them when it didn't make a lot of sense financially came out in a pretty good place.  But you had to be willing to go against the grain a bit to have that happen for you. 

By the time people figure out something is a good idea it is too late.  The big move in price, performance, availability is gone.  So I think people just need to think in those terms.

The Obelisk is a an against the grain kind of move.  It may be a flop, it may not happen, or it may be a huge windfall for those who took the risk and locked in these miners.  Once people finally decide it is a good idea you won't be able to find these things as they won't be able to produce them or produce them fast enough. 

I haven't bought one yet, but I hope to scrape up some cash to at least get one.  I will probably wish I had bought as many as I could get my hands on.

Right, anybody who mined / stacked litecoin or Dash with first generation asics made out VERY well, no matter how many new / competing models came after.

In this case, I don't see another Asic company swooping in with a better Sia asic anytime soon. The Obelisk team launched it to secure the network and increase the value of the coin. But they're struggling to sell a batch of 4000, so I don't think other companies will spend the time/money until this one is proven successful.

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that (imho) a different ASIC company launching a competing model would be a good thing (for SC1 prebuyers)...Or at least symptomatic of lucrative returns...

It would mean that the profitability of THIS SC1 model was so high that other companies want in on the act. By the time that happens, Obelisk SC1 buyers wouldve already made a pretty satoshi...

ekrififi (OP)

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 05:46:56 AM

In fact, more so than worrying about other Asic companies coming to market with competing hardware designed for the Blake 2b algorithm, I'm much more concerned about OBELISK quickly releasing upgraded hardware.

While it's true that:

1) Obelisk has provided a coupon to first batch SC1 buyers, valid for any future Obelisk product.

And

2) they've promised 6 weeks of exclusivity to anybody who buys a first batch SC1. In other words there will be 4,000 SiaCoin Asics mining for those first 6 weeks, and no more... AFTER that, is anybody's guess.

6 weeks is a very short and long period of time in crypto mining. The greedy side of me, the side willing to take risks for huge windfalls, would of course like a longer exclusive period. AND it would seem (to a lamen such as myself) that with the struggle to sell 4,000 of them, that a longer exclusive period would be an easy thing to offer. They may be forced to offer a longer exclusive period, whether they want it or not... so I say, might as well offer it by choice...

But i've never financed, designed, produced, and released an asic before... so what do I know?
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 11:26:38 AM

Anyone from Siacoin listening to this thread? You want to sell more ASIC's give me a reason to 'drink more of the kool-aid" (I already have TWO on order)

I mean ..update your product count on your page it has been 1350 or whatever for a month...

post some 'naked ASIC chip pictures"  If you don't have any yet show me a 'naked case' or a 'line drawing' or something

Looking for a reason to go 'stupid' and buy more ..but not seeing any real reason to do so...

looking for pre-order abuse..er  I mean reasons to pre-order more of this beast...but getting discouraged.....

(I needs some equip depreciation in mass quanities) Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 11:55:11 AM

I think they are just lagging on the page, people on reddit saying they ordered theirs as recently as yesterday.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 12:03:57 PM

I think they are just lagging on the page, people on reddit saying they ordered theirs as recently as yesterday.

I just have issues sending $$$ to people who don't bother to market...its a business...I don't care if you sell
hot dogs on the street...you have to have SOME communication on your product..this is silly, the lack of any info
on main page etc .it is PR 101 for crying out loud.

If they can't do that, it makes a guy wonder if they will "flub' the asic mnfg process and I won't even get a doorstop.

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Bibi187

Activity: 420
Merit: 106

https://steemit.com/@bibi187

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 12:07:41 PM

I just have issues sending $$$ to people who don't bother to market...its a business...I don't care if you sell
hot dogs on the street...you have to have SOME communication on your product..this is silly, the lack of any info
on main page etc .it is PR 101 for crying out loud.

If they can't do that, it makes a guy wonder if they will "flub' the asic mnfg process and I won't even get a doorstop.

Agree with you ...
More reliable information would be nice, not sure about this, but if i remember right, they speak about push up the specs of the SC1 miner.
Is not even modified on the web page ...

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: