Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:48:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First Asic for SIA - Obelisk SC1  (Read 29188 times)
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 01:14:39 PM

I think they are just lagging on the page, people on reddit saying they ordered theirs as recently as yesterday.

I just have issues sending $$$ to people who don't bother to market...its a business...I don't care if you sell
hot dogs on the street...you have to have SOME communication on your product..this is silly, the lack of any info
on main page etc .it is PR 101 for crying out loud.

If they can't do that, it makes a guy wonder if they will "flub' the asic mnfg process and I won't even get a doorstop.

I agree but from what they outlined on Reddit, its only 3 of them all together working on SIA and one of their devs is pulling double duty managing the site. They talked about hiring someone to do it but my guess is that idea didn't pan out because SIA has corrected back to where it was before the bubble.

I think the gap here is "where" they are communicating... because from what I can tell it's all over on Reddit which is buried in threading system used (makes it hard to find)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sevenmiles

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 02:26:19 PM

I think they are just lagging on the page, people on reddit saying they ordered theirs as recently as yesterday.

I just have issues sending $$$ to people who don't bother to market...its a business...I don't care if you sell
hot dogs on the street...you have to have SOME communication on your product..this is silly, the lack of any info

If they can't do that, it makes a guy wonder if they will "flub' the asic mnfg process and I won't even get a doorstop.

I agree but from what they outlined on Reddit, its only 3 of them all together working on SIA and one of their devs is pulling double duty managing the site. They talked about hiring someone to do it but my guess is that idea didn't pan out because SIA has corrected back to where it was before the bubble.

I think the gap here is "where" they are communicating... because from what I can tell it's all over on Reddit which is buried in threading system used (makes it hard to find)

I remember that they said no Sia core dev member involved in ASIC development, then where is the ASIC team?

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 02:55:18 PM

Well another angle is this to bleed some $$$ (and at least get some nas hd's etc out of it)

Has anyone MADE one of their ..whatever they are called hosting nodes with NAS hd's etc?

I could do that see if it even pays to pursue this whole asic miner

If that backbone decentralized storage does not hold water in tossing together a unit with the software

then perhaps this is all a pipe dream....I don't expect to make any money..but would be nice to see if

the damn thing works in the manner at this time they say it does

At least I could burn some hardware $$ that way..see if that gave me some confidence in their vision

right now it is like asic mushroom farming in the basement...it smells like S*it.....but I am in the

dark and don't know enough about mushroom farming to tell how it works and hangs together

maybe need to get my hands dirty on such a box (and it bleeds $$$ out of my need for equip this year

with little risk...at least I'd have a crap load of Hd's for like forever ) Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
buggy166

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 06:15:52 PM

took a look and i cant see how this is a serious push for an ASIC.

shipping before June 2018? lol you can make more money by just putting the ASIC cost into SIA coin and just holding it, or trading it on and off.

If the machines were 1-3 months out, ok. 1 year out preorder? no way.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 07:54:52 PM

took a look and i cant see how this is a serious push for an ASIC.

shipping before June 2018? lol you can make more money by just putting the ASIC cost into SIA coin and just holding it, or trading it on and off.

If the machines were 1-3 months out, ok. 1 year out preorder? no way.

It's pure speculation. I got 2 on order, due to I need equip deprec this year

I can give 50% in taxes on mining income this year. Or get 100% equip deduction
On all my income with equip. With the 25% in real money back on taxes I know I
Can't cover with equip this year, it is a 25% more gamble to get proper equip, than
just handing 50% over in all taxes on mining income. Think 'hamster wheel'.

Only reason I'm considering more than the original 2 ordered

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
dazbog835

Activity: 132

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:11:05 PM

I send them a mail about worrying that the asics would run out and I'm still waiting for the next bull run so i can afford this...

And one of them replied that they are currently at around 1400 units so unless there's a big batch bought i shouldn't worry.

Just an fyi.
sevenmiles

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:16:42 PM

I send them a mail about worrying that the asics would run out and I'm still waiting for the next bull run so i can afford this...

And one of them replied that they are currently at around 1400 units so unless there's a big batch bought i shouldn't worry.

Just an fyi.
Good to know . Thanks , plan to buy two, but maybe wait until end of the year

ekrififi (OP)

Activity: 134

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:28:19 AM

I want to start a campaign to get team Obelisk to recognize this forum thread. I mean, there are existing customers here looking to buy additional units (myself included)... potensial customers consideeing their first purchase. If Sia's dev team wants to reach their market, they could do a lot worse.

I've contacted their facebook page, slack account etc, but so far nothin'. Any ideas?
hanskan

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 04:06:41 AM

i have been contemplating buying 1-2 of these since the thread started, but this lack of information is really scary.

i don't know if they are really busy developing this thing or they so sure that they can sell the whole patch with no communication effort or what.

rummy

Activity: 86

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:51:19 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2017, 06:18:14 AM by rummy

I'm wanting to get in too, thinking of getting 5 but don't see any big reason to hurry right now.
jenia1

Activity: 504
Merit: 267

HashWare - Mining solutions for everyone!

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 09:45:00 AM

so assuming all 4k units are sold. the current 350Th will be increased by additional 400Th which means one can expect half the amount of coins, so instead of 150000 coins you gonna get 75000 and at current price is around 600usd per month. making it 5months to ROI hmmm...

Making mining profitable
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ANN  Website  Facebook
                                   █████████
                             ███      ████████   █████
               ▄█████████▄   █          ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████   ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄    ████████
       █████  █████  ██████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████ █████  ████  ████  █████████
█████  █████  █████   █████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
█████  █████  █████   █████  █    ██     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████████████  █████   █████  ██    ███████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████
█████  █████  █████████████  ████    █████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ██████████  █████████▀  ████
█████  █████  █████████████  ██████    ███████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████    ████
█████  █████  █████   █████       ███   ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████ ▀███▄  ████
       █████  █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
              █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  █████████
                      █████  █          ██████   █████   ▀█████  █████▀   ████  ████  ████  ████   ████████
                             ███       ███████   █████
                              ▀▀███   ████▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  PM
Contact Us

Mining Farm planning & advising
Equipment supply & transportation
Linking investors & ideas

Rippa84

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 11:03:43 AM

As the Team already stated the asics will deliver at least 250 Gh. That makes a total of 1000 Th if all 4000 are Sold.
It is very likely GPU Mining will be useless because of brutal difficulty increase. So most of them will step out and dualmine something else.

So we will have almost all Hashingpower done by these 4000 Obelisks. At least for the first six weeks. In this time you will very likely get 1/4000 of every Blockreward.
That makes a total of round about  225,000 SC.
dazbog835

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 06:41:46 PM

i have been contemplating buying 1-2 of these since the thread started, but this lack of information is really scary.

i don't know if they are really busy developing this thing or they so sure that they can sell the whole patch with no communication effort or what.
I don't know man... They replied to my email. And I wasn't even the most enthusiastic potential customer. I said I might have money for one in September. So not really like they replied to me just because I was a big fish. I'm sure they have their hands full, or perhaps some are on vacation. Sometimes we forget people are people. They need their rest.

so assuming all 4k units are sold. the current 350Th will be increased by additional 400Th which means one can expect half the amount of coins, so instead of 150000 coins you gonna get 75000 and at current price is around 600usd per month. making it 5months to ROI hmmm...
Are you sure your numbers are correct?

As the Team already stated the asics will deliver at least 250 Gh. That makes a total of 1000 Th if all 4000 are Sold.
It is very likely GPU Mining will be useless because of brutal difficulty increase. So most of them will step out and dualmine something else.

So we will have almost all Hashingpower done by these 4000 Obelisks. At least for the first six weeks. In this time you will very likely get 1/4000 of every Blockreward.
That makes a total of round about  225,000 SC.
Makes me wonder... any thoughts on what happens if Siacoins get a 200% or 400% upsurge in price. Does that influence anything do you think?

rummy

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 04:35:40 AM

Obelisk is the company that will be producing these chips.

Obelisk is a fully owned subsidiary of Nebulous Inc.

Nebulous is the company that employs all of the Sia core developers.

Obelisk has plans for growth in the future. None of these plans are finalized as we are primarily focusing on shipping this miner, but potential future products include:

A 16nm or 14nm ASIC for Sia

A mining card costing under $1000 that you can put into a GPU slot

ASICs for other PoW cryptocurrencies
dazbog835

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 12:21:52 PM

Obelisk is a fully owned subsidiary of Nebulous Inc.

Nebulous is the company that employs all of the Sia core developers.
I dunno man.. All of this sounds very nebulous to me...

Cheesy couldn't help myself. Great work and a good roadmap. Are you an official representative or just some rando?
rummy

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 02:53:51 PM

Just copied it from a reddit post of a team member I believe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6j1gyg/obelisks_sia_asics_full_details/
Regthaman88

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 03:07:20 PM

Holy crap.  I ordered two of these the day they went on sale for preorder.  We early buyers are getting a freaking sweet deal, and I know find out Wolf0 is on the case.  Really glad i made that call now.  Obelisk, keep on keeping on sirs! Wolf0, you da real MVP.
rawbert

Activity: 199

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:42:35 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2017, 05:41:00 AM by rawbert

Count went up from 1350/4000 to 1450/4000.
https://obelisk.tech/index.html

ekrififi (OP)

Activity: 134

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 03:36:14 AM

Great article in the Boston Globe about Siacoin and their development team.

Tldr: 10x ferraris to the moon

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/08/07/sia/sUZ0p3EEAsgVuL2aGCeqEJ/story.html
shaninium

Activity: 489
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 03:39:51 AM

Look at what bitmain did to ibelink, baikal and innosilicon with the dash miners. Bitmain will ruin these companies with the d3, and noone thought bitmain would pursue x11, what if they pursue blake2b? Be very weary...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: