Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:31:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 255 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinMarketCap.com - Market Cap Rankings of All Cryptocurrencies!  (Read 639443 times)
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 11:07:35 AM

Lets just use http://www.cryptmarketcap.com/ ,

Its obvious now coinmarketcap.com is a site supporting scams, probably run by an scam artist.

What makes this site any different?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
paratox

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 12:31:27 PM

Maybe it would be a good idea to set up a more detailed "CryptoCurrencyStatistics" page where marketcap is only a little factor in the ranking beside average transaction volume, market depth etc..

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 12:36:46 PM

you cant really use fictional market cap when you have all these instamined scamcoin ponzi schemes with "developer" and his friends/family at the top of scam pyramid granting themselves most of the coins for free (with no mining competition over years involved. talk about monopoly "money"), then "buy-in" layer where certain % of coins is sold to whoever pays most.
then they inflate value by selling scamcoins on private "exchange" to each other, to inflate volume and set any value they want. after all they control the supply and not crypto math algorithm mining like bitcoin.
bottom layer is all those suckers buying scamcoins because they see them listed on market cap site and thinking it must be valuable.

This is exactly what's wrong. There's plenty of naive and gullible newbs who just check coinmarketcap and buy when they see something rise, and they end up buying nothing more than an inflated piece of crap. It really makes a mockery of cryptos.
rbdrbd

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:30:57 PM

you cant really use fictional market cap when you have all these instamined scamcoin ponzi schemes with "developer" and his friends/family at the top of scam pyramid granting themselves most of the coins for free (with no mining competition over years involved. talk about monopoly "money"), then "buy-in" layer where certain % of coins is sold to whoever pays most.
then they inflate value by selling scamcoins on private "exchange" to each other, to inflate volume and set any value they want. after all they control the supply and not crypto math algorithm mining like bitcoin.
bottom layer is all those suckers buying scamcoins because they see them listed on market cap site and thinking it must be valuable.

This is exactly what's wrong. There's plenty of naive and gullible newbs who just check coinmarketcap and buy when they see something rise, and they end up buying nothing more than an inflated piece of crap. It really makes a mockery of cryptos.

And speaking of this, I find it very interesting that within a day or two of Mastercoin being on the charts, Nxt's "market cap" has now risen dramatically and is now within 1MM of Mastercoin.

The recent rises in price, and the fact that Nxt trades on a single private exchange (from what I understand of it) smells funny. A cartel of a few large holders trading between themselves (or a single holder with multiple addresses -- remember the max contribution was 1 BTC per address -- someone could easily own 10-15 addresses) could easily engineer a rapid increase like this, and Nxt has a very large incentive to stay ahead of Mastercoin, making it be "the largest/highest valued crypto" of it's kind -- e.g. next-gen distributed application platforms.

Nothing inherently against Nxt, but let's get it on a few exchanges and see. I'm also not saying it's a scamcoin, but I think it's in a market situation now where it's very open for manipulation by large players. Mastercoin has somewhat of this same problem, but it is already traded numerous places (however, I believe the price data is only coming from masterxchange at this time). And, if we start seeing the same kind of massive and rapid price increases for Mastercoin on little to no news, with indicators of potential manipulation similar to what was posted earlier in this thread and on other threads, I'll start saying the same thing about it.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:36:25 PM

3) The marketcap is misleading for 100% pre-mined coins vs non pre-mined coins

This is really the only argument I have sympathy for.   But that's what marketcap is: Price x Total Supply.  We can solve this problem by providing filter for 100% mined coins.  What do you think of that solution?

Yeah I don't understand either how is market cap misleading? Market cap is market cap.

Anyway unlike on exchanges I'd like to see all the options and coins on coinmarketcap. Filter is fine if it's opt in.

+1. There are many, many coins listed that probably have little value - the purpose of the site isn't to judge the validity of a coin or to be a full education on which coins should be invested in. Just because NXT, Ripple, and MasterCoin are different from Bitcoin and the various copycats doesn't mean that people aren't interested in them.

If there is a filter, that's fine - but it should be opt-in and all coins should be displayed by default. Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware lest they make rash decisions based upon the interpretation of any individual piece of market data.

Sagefit

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 03:48:09 PM

Why the heck is ripple back on?

jeroenn13

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:54:48 PM

And speaking of this, I find it very interesting that within a day or two of Mastercoin being on the charts, Nxt's "market cap" has now risen dramatically and is now within 1MM of Mastercoin.

The recent rises in price, and the fact that Nxt trades on a single private exchange (from what I understand of it) smells funny. A cartel of a few large holders trading between themselves (or a single holder with multiple addresses -- remember the max contribution was 1 BTC per address -- someone could easily own 10-15 addresses) could easily engineer a rapid increase like this, and Nxt has a very large incentive to stay ahead of Mastercoin, making it be "the largest/highest valued crypto" of it's kind -- e.g. next-gen distributed application platforms.

Nothing inherently against Nxt, but let's get it on a few exchanges and see. I'm also not saying it's a scamcoin, but I think it's in a market situation now where it's very open for manipulation by large players. Mastercoin has somewhat of this same problem, but it is already traded numerous places (however, I believe the price data is only coming from masterxchange at this time). And, if we start seeing the same kind of massive and rapid price increases for Mastercoin on little to no news, with indicators of potential manipulation similar to what was posted earlier in this thread and on other threads, I'll start saying the same thing about it.

Well said! +1

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
Luror

Activity: 215

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:56:02 PM

LOL @ Ripple $ 2,346,306,636

BTC: 1DzAEtLoFxqmJoNH5ZYHyWxaSNYUGKf2S6
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 04:00:39 PM

Cue a flood of babies crying about Ripple being on the list now too.

Well done coinmarketcap. List everything in my opinion, don't try and hide a currency because certain people on the bitcoin forum have an agenda against it. Set the way forward - open, transparent information source.
Gliss (OP)

Activity: 258
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 04:03:01 PM

coinmarketcap.com developped to a place with double moral .
First they accepted to ban Ripples to a second page(requested by a lot of people), then they allowed NXT, and now Mastercoin to be listed on the same page.
So they lost integrety.

I posted about re-listing Ripple in this thread and there seems to be a huge split in the community about it.  But you're absolutely right, I can't pick and choose which coins to add.

So the policy from here on is that all crypto-currencies go up as long as they meet the criteria which is:

- Total Supply source URL
- Exchange with public API
- If it's not traded on one of the major exchanges, then the exchange will have to prove itself by meeting a certain reasonable volume threshold (TBD)  and also must be in existence for at least 30 days.

Sorry if you disagree with this stance, but this is the only way to be non-biased against any crypto-currencies.  I really wanted this site to be for the community, but since the community seems split on the issue I have to end up picking a side here.

Crypto-currency market cap rankings @ https://coinmarketcap.com
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 04:14:42 PM

You've done the right thing, gliss. Not listing controversial cryptocurrencies would just make many of us turn to another site that would provide the information - its better to provide more information rather than less. To those that don't want to see ripple, next, etc - go create your own biased site with the criteria you'd prefer.

Gliss (OP)

Activity: 258
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 04:21:18 PM

Did anyone ever figure out why it showed / shows Devcoin, which mints 50,000 coins per block, as having a total number of coins that is not 0 mod 50000 ?

-MarkM-

Not sure, but I'm grabbing the data from here: http://d.evco.in/abe/chain/DeVCoin/q/totalbc

Crypto-currency market cap rankings @ https://coinmarketcap.com
hybridsole

Activity: 943
Merit: 783

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 04:42:14 PM

Just to weigh in here, it would be important to denote which "coins" are available via a public exchange, versus those which are available only through a private holder.  In the case of Mastercoin, Nxt, and Ripple, those should have an asterisk next to them denoting this distinction.  In the future we will see more companies announcing their own form of cryptocurrency, for instance Amazon already has "Amazon Coins" which is their form of currency.  I don't see how these are different from Ripple or Nxt in the sense that they control the supply/price. 

Benefactor

Activity: 1260
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:12:51 PM

Cue a flood of babies crying about Ripple being on the list now too.

Well done coinmarketcap. List everything in my opinion, don't try and hide a currency because certain people on the bitcoin forum have an agenda against it. Set the way forward - open, transparent information source.

Pre-labelling people who disagree with your point of view is not only dehumanizing your compatriots in the forum, but blinds some readers to the validity of their counter-arguments.

This is rude.  You have attacked me before I wrote.  I am not a minor.

If the rhetoric of 'open, transparent information source' is acted out, then, Ripple should be clearly labelled as 'not a real cryptocurrency', issued by a central authority, not open source.  Where is that information on that website?  I have ignorant people asking about the '$2 billion dollars that were invested' in Ripple.  This is very dangerous to cryptos, siphoning off real investment funds (not the misinterpreted, then fictitious, 'market cap',) that would otherwise go to legitimate open-source cryptocurrencies into the pockets of the the cabal of exploitational advertisers, poisoning the minds of noobs and keeping humanity repressed.

Perhaps instead of supporting the exploitational illusion that ripple belongs as an equal on that list, you could work towards educating noobs on what a market cap means.  I'll start you off:

Market Cap = Last Price x (multiplied by) Outstanding Float (total available in crypto addresses.)

You're welcome.

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
.cogwise.
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
.Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights.  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

nocoin

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:34:42 PM

God, CoinMarketCap, what's wrong with you? Have you been paid for listing this obvious scam coins?
Benefactor

Activity: 1260
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:36:38 PM

Market Capitalization (Market Cap)

(a post for coinmarketcap.com readers)

-

There is an illusion caused by this coinmarketcap website:

Market capitalization is the LAST PRICE multiplied by the outstanding float (the amount currently in circulation, not even available for purchase, but simply mined and hypothetically available in someone's crypto address.)

If someone issues their own ExploiterCoins with 1,000,000,000 units in the float, and trade on their own exchange 1 unit for $10 USD, then their market capitalization becomes $10 Billion US dollars, #1 on that website.

A TEN US DOLLAR BILL CAN VAULT A CRYPTO TO THE #1 spot on that website, beating BTC instantly!

-

If they take their same ten dollar bill, and then trade it with themselves, again, for 10 units of ExploiterCoins, then they've just lost almost $10 Billion Dollars in Market Cap!!! Yes, that would price the market cap calculation down 90%!!!

Still, it's just them masturbating a ten dollar bill back and forth with themself.

-

Illusion and perception.
See how dangerous this stuff is?

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
.cogwise.
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
.Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights.  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

Yurizhai

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:54:24 PM

It's not that you have to be biased or against open information to be against NXT, MSC, XRP, ect.. It's just a little misleading to act as if they are simply another crypto. As long as there is something in the works to allow us more information other than JUST MARKET CAP, I'll be happy.
Alias

Activity: 127

Money be green

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:05:17 PM

It's not that you have to be biased or against open information to be against NXT, MSC, XRP, ect.. It's just a little misleading to act as if they are simply another crypto. As long as there is something in the works to allow us more information other than JUST MARKET CAP, I'll be happy.

It's only misleading if you don't know what "market cap" really means. And you do know what it means, so it's not misleading is it? And whatever about Mastercoin and Ripple, NxT is a cryptocurrency as much as Bitcoin or any of it's derivatives are.

Edit: Except that the NxT code is written from scratch and has many more features built-in.

In times of change, it is the learners who will inherit the earth, while the learned will find themselves beautifully equipped for a world that no longer exists.
sonicby

Activity: 194

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:10:02 PM

Everyone to be happy, you need to rename the site.
CoinandScamcoinMarketcap.com  Grin
SilverBullet

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:22:22 PM

Whats going on with Mastercoin MST??
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... 255 »
  Print  

Jump to: