Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:56:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum moderation policy  (Read 956110 times)
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:36:54 AM

while i'm always pro transparency i see it's the right of the owners of this forum to delete as many posts as they want. you are free to leave. in fact i hope there will grow competition as with just one forum only, there is quite some power to manipulate the market by just randomly going offline.

+1

We do need more than one Bitcoin forum. When a forum gets so big that they're basically telling people to "go away", and they start deleting posts left and right, with no consequent slowdown in signups, membership, or traffic -- that's tells ME (at least) that the market's now big enough for another forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Horkabork

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:08:21 AM

I don't mind moderation, when done in, well, moderation. I do mind when I cant judge whether the mods are doing their jobs well or not. I can't judge for myself if I agree a thread was out of line if it's been deleted.

Mods, if you feel you need to shut a thread down, why not just lock it? Some other forums feature a "trash bin" section where "deleted" threads go, still available to read, but not cluttering the main forums. Maybe this would be something to look into here?

Can anyone give a good reason why deleting a thread would be preferable to just locking it, absent legal reasons and other force majeure?

A lot of times, deleting threads rather than moving them is harder on the database as well. So there's that benefit.

However, I think the idea of just moving threads that you and others have suggested is great. But a trash bin is just as bad as deleting. People post bullshit so that others will read it. Nobody reads threads in the trash bin.

Having a specific "no rules" subforum has worked for a lot of big forums, and ones much rowdier than this one (Somethingawful has FYAD, 4chan has /b/, Offtopic has, well, I guess the main forum). If you give the idiots a specific place to play and call their own, they won't make irritating posts in other forums as often. Just make a forum with no rules except what is obviously illegal and let people post to their heart's content.

Or, wait, did I just describe the newbie forum?

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:26:52 PM

<--- I'd like to be able to see the date someone signed up, without having to visit their profile page.

you can, essentially.

just put your mouse over a user's handle, on the left side of their post - then, on the status bar at the bottom left of your browser window (assuming you have the Status Bar enabled in "View"), that users registration number will show up in the form: "u=xxxxx (some number)"

for example, your number is 7361.  mine is 7795.  indicating that i signed up 434 user registrations after you did.

sirius' (the OP) user number is 4 - indicating that he's been here for awhile...
£

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:18:03 PM

Read things that aren't there much?

Not particularly.

Do you also believe that posting "shi...erm, feces" constitutes using profanity?

I plainly use the word 'shit' in my own post, so am unlikely to read your allusion as profane.

Further, did you take the time to read any of my other posts (all 12) before lumping me in with "the ones most casually in breach of the new policy"?

I was responding to the post I quoted.

. . . frankly I have no idea why you would object to the rules that sirius has laid out.  None of them seem to apply to you.

I am not basing my opinions about what might be good or bad for a forum on what might be good or bad for me as an individual.
£

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:54:24 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2011, 11:04:25 PM by £

Your complete lack of any meaningful response to my defense of your ridiculous assertion pretty much says it all.

My point is far from ridiculous.

Uh huh.  So your answer is "No, I didn't read any of your other posts.  I made this blanket claim on the basis of a single post".  Super.

My post is not aimed at you in particular (and that is stated in my post), it aims to make the point that those seemingly most in favour of these new rules appear to be, if anything, more exposed to them than those questioning the need for them.

Heh, so what ARE you basing your opinions about what might be good or bad for the forum then?

I am basing ideas about what might be good or bad for a forum on what I think might be good or bad for a forum.

Your original response to my post in support of the OP can be summarized as "many of the people supporting sirius' rules are hypocrites, because they're the ones who've been breaking these rules in the past".

The 'in the past' part is an insertion, but, yes, generally that's the point being made, whilst perhaps not hypocritical (it seems like too strong a term) those in favour of the new rules are in danger of falling foul of those new rules as much as the 'ideologues' they seek to drive out of the forum.

Honestly, I fail to see how that's a valid argument in support of keeping this forum unmoderated.
It's not an argument, it's only supportive of an argument, it's only illustrative of a point.

The point is that setting in place limitations that people might find themselves casually in breach of (and here the point that some of those most vocal in their support are themselves culprits becomes illustrative) might have (my own opinion is 'will likely have') consequences that will do more to stymie a healthy and robust community spirit than a more laissez faire approach (but of course not giving free reign to naked abuse).

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:32:18 PM

I have to admit, I'm amused at the irony that a thread with this one's original subject matter can devolve into an argument where both parties involved violate one or more of the conditions that they recently agreed to.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
£

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:14:03 AM

I'm not sure how to respond to that, other than to say "Good luck to you sir!"

Abso-fucking-lutely.  Wink

Good luck to you as well.
£

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:22:23 AM

I'm not sure that £ has agreed to anything . . .

No, that's right, I've just expressed concern about a nascent culture of arbitrary approval, in itself not always a terrible thing, but time has shown it has proven itself to be corrosive to progress.
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 11:26:07 AM

+1.5

Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 02:34:32 AM

1. Free speech
5. No NSFW content

Please read 5, then read 1, then read 5, then read 1 and tell me if you see a problem.

Can I say "fat cock" if I present it in a calm and polite manner?

You mean like "Foghorn Leghorn"...how about that big pussy "Sylvester".
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:23:44 PM

May I suggest a little change in the forum's policy?
Please, stop blocking Tor-exit nodes. Grin
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:39:37 AM

I noticed I can't delete my own posts anymore.
I used to keep my posts count low, deleting from threads to stop being notified
now I can only edit the post but the delete link is gone
will it stay this way, please?

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
cartwright

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:49:50 AM

Please ban everyone who breaks the #2 rule.
server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:16:56 AM

Make a public viewable Trashcan board in Other so that mods can move all trash-topics to the trashcan.
The trashcan board should be locked for users to reply, only readable.
Helps to educate users and prevent more garbage, users can see what undesirable content is.

And if you want the board to be more serious you can create a "Humor" section so mods don't have to trash these, but just move to this board.

w1R903

Activity: 218

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 12:55:33 PM

Can we please get some moderation on the thread in which the asshole lawyer filed a trademark claim on bitcoin?  I agree he's a jerk and I'd like to see him disbarred or disciplined for filing a fraudulent claim, but the "assassination market" posts are too much and should be deleted.  The world is watching, and as someone who is investing thousands of dollars in a Bitcoin related-business, I'm very concerned about the image these forums are giving the world.

4096R/F5EA0017
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 01:24:14 PM

I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk I agree he's a jerk

Lips sealed

bitbetter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

I want to feel your empty heart.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 01:47:33 PM

Can we please get some moderation on the thread in which the asshole lawyer filed a trademark claim on bitcoin?  I agree he's a jerk and I'd like to see him disbarred or disciplined for filing a fraudulent claim, but the "assassination market" posts are too much and should be deleted.  The world is watching, and as someone who is investing thousands of dollars in a Bitcoin related-business, I'm very concerned about the image these forums are giving the world.

Perhaps you should stop using $$ because people do stuff with that which is much more depraved. Not saying that justifies assassination markets, but, you can't fault a currency for what people do with it. Also--I'm not so confident the world is listening...if you are...WHAT UP!

BitBetter | where your BitCoins are fun
12f4jinRUaqsHTn2mrDSxzkw9AQ9WBLwtX
coingenuity

Activity: 64

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 01:45:39 AM

A+ ruleset, IMHO.

Everyone knows bitcoins are too small for trolls to hold on to, anyway. Tongue

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 04:40:44 AM

+1
Smalleyster

Activity: 84

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 01:24:39 AM

I don't mean to be rude, but the only "moderation" I see on this board seems to be moving threads to other categories. I've been "online" since 1980 and this is absolutly the least moderated, moderated forum I have ever participated in.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: