Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:15:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 132 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e hacked ??  (Read 199690 times)
npsonic

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 02:55:48 PM

Basically everything is now lost. Money, btc, eth, ltc, ... these will never be released when servers are seized.

Look what happened with Megaupload, people nothing to do with criminal activities will always suffer.
Some of them are still trying to get there files back after years of faiting with US. If you had something in BTC-e it's time to move on.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:01:58 PM

Does anybody know anything about this Alexander Vinnik ?

Afaik one of the founders of btc-e is named Alexander.
maybe coincidence ? Not uncommon name for Russians ...

Info obtained from some rather old article:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/btc-e-trustworthy-or-recipe-for-disaster/

After taking a closer look, it seemed we could assume the exchange was based in Cyprus. The terms of use on BTC-e’s website stated the exchange was governed by the laws applicable in Cyprus. However, when looking up the website through Google, the description says BTC-e operates from Bulgaria. Neither could be proven so these discoveries won’t bring any more clarity. The only certainty, as far as certainty about BTC-e goes, would be the involvement of Russia. BTC-e’s helpdesk releases periodic updates, presented in Russian and English. The presence of Russian currency on the website also indicate this. A December interview with CoinDesk, one of the few interviews BTC-e ever did, gave away the names of Aleksey and Alexander. Both are names that are well represented in Russia.
Did some digging which led me to this topic, see the image here.

It has the name of Alexander Vinnik, which could mean that this is his profile on bitcointalk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=43575

He seems to be involved with exchanges for a long time, running wm-exchange and trading in the forums. However he does not strike me as the owner of btc-e, I don't think the owner would bother with small scale trades like these, so it could be a coincidence, just a guy with the same name. Still, it may warrant further investigation.

rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:05:14 PM

If you had something in BTC-e it's time to move on.
I'm not completely sure this is the case (although it may be).  Just because the U.S. arrested him - if his keys are in cold storage under Russian control those are more Russian bitcoins than the U.S. bitcoins.

Should be interesting to watch play out.

https://thebitcoinnews.com/alexander-vinnik-admin-btc-e-arrested-greece-4-billion-bitcoin-money-laundering/
allstolennnnn

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:12:44 PM

BTC-e admins are now erasing all the traces and moving funds to safe.

Servers maybe already empty, next you will see is seized flag at btc-e.com

Then it is too late!
ft73

Activity: 564
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:16:33 PM

Sadly it's true, btc-e admin involved in money laundering.

Translate from Greek: http://www.dailythess.gr/h-megali-klopi-bitcoins-dark-web-ke-chlidati-zoi-tou-rosou-pou-entopise-fbi-sti-chalkidiki/
randombitcoinnoob

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:22:29 PM

If he was really arrested, then the site going down, THEN getting updated, seems really fishy.

Been thinking what scenarios that could lead to that...

- I read on an article linked on reddit that the founders of BTC-e are Aleksey and Alexander. It could be Aleksey updating the site, still thinking of how to proceed.

Or WORSE, the updates stopped because he was also arrested afterwards.

- Or if you think about it, BTC-e's only fault is the lack of licenses/legal mumbo-jumbo (BitLicense, KYC/AML, constrictive withdrawal limits, etc.). This allows things like the what that other linked article is talking about, 95% of ransomware proceeds are sent to BTC-e, probably DNM coins too, etc.

In this case, since his only violation is running an "unlicensed exchange", he MIGHT be cooperating with the authorities (tracing the people behind ransomware or DNMs, using BTC-e logs). Although it would be unlikely they would let him update the site.

- Or the site updates and the tweets were triggered by a deadman's switch.

I just hope if it's Aleksey or some other admin doing updates, that they eventually allow crypto withdrawals (those in BTC-e fiat would probably screwed though, maybe the delay has something to do with them trying to figure out that part).

Or that it's the wrong guy, not the correct Alexander and it's all a HUGE coincidence.
ft73

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:25:55 PM

If he was really arrested, then the site going down, THEN getting updated, seems really fishy.

Been thinking what scenarios that could lead to that...

- I read on an article linked on reddit that the founders of BTC-e are Aleksey and Alexander. It could be Aleksey updating the site, still thinking of how to proceed.

Or WORSE, the updates stopped because he was also arrested afterwards.

- Or if you think about it, BTC-e's only fault is the lack of licenses/legal mumbo-jumbo (BitLicense, KYC/AML, constrictive withdrawal limits, etc.). This allows things like the what that other linked article is talking about, 95% of ransomware proceeds are sent to BTC-e, probably DNM coins too, etc.

In this case, since his only violation is running an "unlicensed exchange", he MIGHT be cooperating with the authorities (tracing the people behind ransomware or DNMs, using BTC-e logs). Although it would be unlikely they would let him update the site.

- Or the site updates and the tweets were triggered by a deadman's switch.

I just hope if it's Aleksey or some other admin doing updates, that they eventually allow crypto withdrawals (those in BTC-e fiat would probably screwed though, maybe the delay has something to do with them trying to figure out that part).

Or that it's the wrong guy, not the correct Alexander and it's all a HUGE coincidence.

If it's true that 306.853 BTC "stolen" from MtGOX went straight into btc-e i honestly think there is a very remote chance to see the exchange operational again.
Crypto_Future

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:27:09 PM

Translate from Greek: http://www.dailythess.gr/h-megali-klopi-bitcoins-dark-web-ke-chlidati-zoi-tou-rosou-pou-entopise-fbi-sti-chalkidiki/

I am Greek and this website is really unheard of...

It is an article posted 1 hour ago refering mumbo - jumbo that you can read on this thread.

Again why arresting one of the team would stop the entire organization, based in the Russian Federation from functioning.  Grin
ft73

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:31:07 PM

It is an article posted 1 hour ago refering mumbo - jumbo that you can read on this thread.

Again why arresting one of the team would stop the entire organization, based in the Russian Federation from functioning.  Grin

Well the international press will soon give coverage, let's see what happens.
MunzeDealer

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:32:33 PM

If one of founders was arrested, it doesn't mean that servers and bitcoins was seized.
RealKariverson

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:36:30 PM

I also think that site is BS. How would the writer of the article know that FBI had him under surveillance for months.
Lets wait for a trustworthy internation news like CNN Loooooool  Cheesy
randombitcoinnoob

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:36:58 PM

If one of founders was arrested, it doesn't mean that servers and bitcoins was seized.

If I was a cofounder or an admin with server rights, and saw the founder get dragged off like he was the Silk Road founder, all the while I was thinking we were as legit as GDAX or Poloniex, I'd probably crap my pants, and freeze the entire site.

Not run away with anyone's funds, but I wouldn't continue running it until our site's legal status is clarified.
omarabid

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:42:07 PM

i dont think the site was "updated". i think it was in maintenance page but the maintenance page itself was down so cloudflare showed instead.
ft73

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:45:55 PM

Confirmed by REUTERS.
https://twitter.com/ReutersTech/status/890232366320553984

A good reason to sell a few coins.
ARTHurt

Activity: 104

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:50:56 PM

If I was a cofounder or an admin with server rights, and saw the founder get dragged off like he was the Silk Road founder, all the while I was thinking we were as legit as GDAX or Poloniex, I'd probably crap my pants, and freeze the entire site.

Not run away with anyone's funds, but I wouldn't continue running it until our site's legal status is clarified.

Very pertinent ...

But once again, it's too much of a coincidence the update tweets just stopped yesterday evening.
It may be due to freezed communication between the 2 Alex's or between one of them and the rest of the team, while one of them is arrested? Who knows ...

Tried earlier to contact Karoline, the greek reporter firstly reporting the story on Reuters, questioning for any possible relation between the arrest and btc-e then I see in news that the idea became mainstream...
Sukovsky

Activity: 107

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:53:52 PM

Well shit.
h4rpreet

Activity: 14
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:56:26 PM

https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/status/890232366370893825

My heart bleeds for everyone lost money, probably some people lost whole life's saving or maybe even loan amount they took to invest in crypto.

I feel myself blessed because i couple of days ago withdrawn all my crypto from there and moved to bitrex, this thought came out of nowhere in my mind. It saved me.

But i am really sad today. Sorry for your loss.
npsonic

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:57:37 PM

How want to share how much you lost in BTC-e?

I lost about 40 ETH, lesson well learned. Never going to leave coins in any exchange even for a day.
thenoblebot

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:59:54 PM

There must be some way of getting the coins back ? How ?

Btc-e is going to be branded as a money laundering site but what about people like me who have all their legitimately earned crypto saving on there ? My entire freaking crypto savings were on there !!

Lord1700

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2017, 04:01:25 PM

hope this will make everyone calm

https://www.coindesk.com/btc-e-recent-issues-caused-surge-users/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 132 »
  Print  

Jump to: