Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:54:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Aug 1 summary  (Read 96452 times)
Pennywis3

Activity: 327
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 03:19:05 PM

Strange,

when i send BTC to a new wallet, the BCC gets sent with it.
When the old, empty BTC key is imported into bitcoinABC wallet it shows the BCC moved also with the btc heh.

Kodanshkang4

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 03:29:19 PM

Guys I just transferred some BTC from gemini to gdax but it's been 44 minutes and it didn't even get 1 confirmation. On Blockcypher it shows miner preference medium, confidence level %88.

Why is it so slow? It has never happened to me before.

Also; before I make transfers, is there a way to see how busy btc network is? Based on what can you tell if it is busy or not?

may answer your question -- though focused on fees and corresponding timeliness of your transaction getting into a block.  i find this helpful:

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

or if you want to look directly at backlog:

https://blockchain.info/charts/mempool-size

Good morning guys!

Thanks a lot for your information els!

I would rather pay more fees for an instant transfer but the problem is I am using an exchange Gemini. I don't think users can choose their own fees. They have a flat fee where users can't change.

Please correct me if anyone is using Gemini.

Thanks.

I am using Gemini and looks clean to me and the fee is reasonable. I hope that they can add instant pay option.
BHSMC

Activity: 188
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 05:37:07 PM

Don't get me wrong I love Gemini. But yesterday was the first time, btc transfer took about 2 hours. Smiley
els

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 05:55:30 PM

Does anyone know if there is a definitive list of bitcoin exchanges and wallets that are going to be distributing bitcoincash?  Smiley

What distribution? It's already over even If you add bitcoins into exchanges right now, you won't be credited BCH and If you are looking for exchanges that accept deposits with low amount of confirmation then I suggest HitBTC, and for a full list check CoinMarketCap as BitcoinCash official site seem to be outdated.

Not so!  Coinbase is planning to credit BTC holders with BCH in the near-ish future.  As long as the BTC was there pre-fork.
Same with BitPay Exchange.

It is interesting to see the shift in posture from Coinbase from before the fork:

Date: August 3, 2017

Dear Coinbase customer,

We wanted to give our customers an update on the recent Bitcoin hard fork. You can read more about what a digital currency fork is here:

https://blog.coinbase.com/what-is-a-bitcoin-fork-cba07fe73ef1

Forks enable innovation and improvements to digital currency and we believe that we will see an increasing number of forks in the future. We expect this to be a vibrant and innovative community.

When a digital currency forks, it creates a new digital asset. Adding new digital assets to Coinbase must be approached with caution. Not every asset is immediately safe to add to Coinbase from a technical stability, security, or compliance point of view.

Our top priority is the safety of customer funds and we spend extensive time designing, building, testing and auditing our systems to ensure that the digital asset we support remains safe and secure. We may not always be first in adding an asset, but if we do, you can be sure that we’ve invested significant time and care into supporting it securely. We believe this is the best approach for us to maintain customer trust.

In the case of bitcoin cash, we made clear to our customers that we did not feel we could safely support it on the day it was launched. For customers who wanted immediate access to their bitcoin cash, we advised them to withdraw their bitcoin from the Coinbase platform. However, there are several points we want to make clear for our customers:

1. Both bitcoin and bitcoin cash remain safely stored on Coinbase.

2. Customers with balances of bitcoin at the time of the fork now have an equal quantity of bitcoin cash stored by Coinbase.

3. We operate by the general principle that our customers should benefit to the greatest extent possible from hard forks or other unexpected events.

Over the last several days, we’ve examined all of the relevant issues and have decided to work on adding support for bitcoin cash for Coinbase customers. We made this decision based on factors such as the security of the network, customer demand, trading volumes, and regulatory considerations.

We are planning to have support for bitcoin cash by January 1, 2018, assuming no additional risks emerge during that time.

Once supported, customers will be able to withdraw bitcoin cash. We'll make a determination at a later date about adding trading support. In the meantime, customer bitcoin cash will remain safely stored on Coinbase.

Thank you,

Coinbase Team
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 11:30:36 PM

Don't get me wrong I love Gemini. But yesterday was the first time, btc transfer took about 2 hours. Smiley

In case you depend on the exchange you withdraw funds from, there is indeed no way to include a higher fee in order to greatly increase the chances of your transaction being included in the first upcoming block. I seriously find it weird that no exchange (at least not from the major ones) allows people to manually set a withdrawal fee, where of course there always should be a minimum. Not sure what the reason is for them not allowing this, but it can be very annoying if you need urgent confirmations.
RoomBot
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1123

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 11:52:33 PM

Does anyone know if there is a definitive list of bitcoin exchanges and wallets that are going to be distributing bitcoincash?  Smiley

What distribution? It's already over even If you add bitcoins into exchanges right now, you won't be credited BCH and If you are looking for exchanges that accept deposits with low amount of confirmation then I suggest HitBTC, and for a full list check CoinMarketCap as BitcoinCash official site seem to be outdated.

Not so!  Coinbase is planning to credit BTC holders with BCH in the near-ish future.  As long as the BTC was there pre-fork.
Same with BitPay Exchange.

It is interesting to see the shift in posture from Coinbase from before the fork:

Date: August 3, 2017

Dear Coinbase customer,

We wanted to give our customers an update on the recent Bitcoin hard fork. You can read more about what a digital currency fork is here:

https://blog.coinbase.com/what-is-a-bitcoin-fork-cba07fe73ef1

Forks enable innovation and improvements to digital currency and we believe that we will see an increasing number of forks in the future. We expect this to be a vibrant and innovative community.

When a digital currency forks, it creates a new digital asset. Adding new digital assets to Coinbase must be approached with caution. Not every asset is immediately safe to add to Coinbase from a technical stability, security, or compliance point of view.

Our top priority is the safety of customer funds and we spend extensive time designing, building, testing and auditing our systems to ensure that the digital asset we support remains safe and secure. We may not always be first in adding an asset, but if we do, you can be sure that we’ve invested significant time and care into supporting it securely. We believe this is the best approach for us to maintain customer trust.

In the case of bitcoin cash, we made clear to our customers that we did not feel we could safely support it on the day it was launched. For customers who wanted immediate access to their bitcoin cash, we advised them to withdraw their bitcoin from the Coinbase platform. However, there are several points we want to make clear for our customers:

1. Both bitcoin and bitcoin cash remain safely stored on Coinbase.

2. Customers with balances of bitcoin at the time of the fork now have an equal quantity of bitcoin cash stored by Coinbase.

3. We operate by the general principle that our customers should benefit to the greatest extent possible from hard forks or other unexpected events.

Over the last several days, we’ve examined all of the relevant issues and have decided to work on adding support for bitcoin cash for Coinbase customers. We made this decision based on factors such as the security of the network, customer demand, trading volumes, and regulatory considerations.

We are planning to have support for bitcoin cash by January 1, 2018, assuming no additional risks emerge during that time.

Once supported, customers will be able to withdraw bitcoin cash. We'll make a determination at a later date about adding trading support. In the meantime, customer bitcoin cash will remain safely stored on Coinbase.

Thank you,

Coinbase Team

Very interesting, indeed.  They warned customers a few weeks before that they would not support BCH or give BCH to BTC holders.

Since I send a lot of N00bs there & have some BTC in the Vault, I was very pleased with their turn of events.
I think with all the bad press they're getting, they couldn't afford another unpopular move.
ilvbtc
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 06:09:36 AM

Any one could get bcc for the amount that you had in your blockchain wallet?
Still no clear ways....
Some say first we should transfer the funds to any other wallet before attempting to get bcc and some say not to do so because any incoming or out going funds will affect amount of bcc we get.( i.e the transfer/emptying of BTC from block chain to other wallet is done after 1st Aug.Does it make any difference on the amount of bch we claim now?)
Any one has any step wise instructions to give that they followed themselves and claimed bcc successfully with the btc in their blockchain wallet at the time of fork?

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 4386

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 06:31:13 AM

well shit, man, he was freaking out wondering what happened to his money

I can relate, we were all new once

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Digital_Currency_LTD

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 06:48:59 AM

I just sold my bag too late, I thought it will be more than 500 dollars. Shit Sad
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2017, 10:06:59 AM

How to determine what is bitcoin choose e-wallet if they do not misleading? The price in the purse is worth BTC. Maybe altcoins from BTC-splitting can be used only those who kept their savings offline on the computer?

Some e-wallets (eg. Coinbase) will have just destroyed or taken for themselves the BCH that you should've been entitled to. That's partly why we've been warning people to exit hosted wallets. Some others might still credit you your BCH later.

1. If I import the private keys from my old, now-empty Bitcoin wallet into the new Bcash wallet, does this mean that the my new Bcash wallet will have the old BTC addresses, which are now empty?

They will be the same addresses. On the Bitcoin network and in a Bitcoin wallet, they will be empty. On the Bcash network and for Bcash wallets, they will still have the same balance that they had around 14:00 UTC.

2. If someone were to send me BTC to my old BTC address, I could still use my old wallet to retrieve those coins, right?

Yes, you should in that case open the wallet in Bitcoin wallet software again. A Bcash wallet won't see those transactions.

I recommend phasing out your old addresses, since I don't trust the security of Bcash wallets that you'll be giving your private keys to. If it would be difficult to phase out your old addresses, then I don't particularly recommend using this method of claiming your BCH. Other methods that don't involve giving your private keys to a Bcash wallet will become available in the coming weeks.

So my question is; would they honor by giving me bch or bcc which ever they are distributing out to the holders of bitcoin at the time of the split?

The exact moment of the split was not 12:20 or 14:00, but sometime between those. I haven't figured out yet when the exact split time was, though. I think that 12:22 was probably pre-split.

I wish I acted sooner so I can get the BCH I'm entitled to but because my bitcoins were stored on blockchain.info and coinbase,the online wallets must have blocked the BCH I'm entitled to as a result of the hard fork (creating BCH).

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Ratatosk

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 11:36:10 AM

Please HELP me, please, I can't "find" my BCC...

Before the fork, I created a new BTC wallet and sent all my BTC to one address in this wallet.

You can see that here : https://blockchair.com/search?q=1923b27c25e25ce3bc124bd3650814dabf62fadfeddd87ce63de96b2fdf9008d
and here https://blockchair.com/bitcoin-cash/transaction/243276558

I exported the private key of this wallet.

After the fork, I sent my BTC to an other BTC wallet : https://blockchair.com/search?q=+16a63d95db3b1bede5383ccab3d3b0b94ef82b8ab1139dd3e467ed62abb1ac89+

As you can see, the BTC blockchain sees my Tx, but not the new BCH blockchain (normal, right ?).

So, my BCH are waiting for me on the BCH address on BCH blockchain, right ? I have the private key of this address/wallet.

On a new install of BitcoinABC with a new wallet file (and datadir set to save the BCH blockchain on an other drive than BTC blockchain), I enter the command "importprivkey ............................................................." and I paste the private key instead of the dots.

The wallet scans the BCH blockchain during 1 or 2 hours.

Answer : "null"

And no BCC in balance...

Please HELP, what did I wrong, how can I access these BCH ?
liliiaolivia2017

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 12:13:15 PM

By the way, on August 7, a new currency was launched for sale - a REcoin designed to accommodate a wide range of financial transactions and investment goals. Its security is ensured through the use of the soundest and most reliable currency. Over the last few days after the launch of the ICO, more than $ 1.5 million was raised. USA in direct purchases of REcoin tokens.
Ratatosk

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 12:57:40 PM

Thanks

But I don't use wallet.dat from Bitcoin Core, I use Armory configured to access BTC blockchain through Core...
BTCbengi

Activity: 241
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 03:08:33 PM

Thanks a lot for your guidance and information during this while.

I am happy the BTC markets are relatively calm after the fork.

I'd also advice everyone who is considering using Bitcoin Cash to be careful with their private keys. Whoever has your private keys has access to your coins in both chains.

Not beyond my expectations
Besides, some people are too worried and have sold out their Bitcoin, they will feel remorse for this.

RoomBot
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1123

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 03:12:33 PM

How to determine what is bitcoin choose e-wallet if they do not misleading? The price in the purse is worth BTC. Maybe altcoins from BTC-splitting can be used only those who kept their savings offline on the computer?

Some e-wallets (eg. Coinbase) will have just destroyed or taken for themselves the BCH that you should've been entitled to. That's partly why we've been warning people to exit hosted wallets. Some others might still credit you your BCH later.

1. If I import the private keys from my old, now-empty Bitcoin wallet into the new Bcash wallet, does this mean that the my new Bcash wallet will have the old BTC addresses, which are now empty?

They will be the same addresses. On the Bitcoin network and in a Bitcoin wallet, they will be empty. On the Bcash network and for Bcash wallets, they will still have the same balance that they had around 14:00 UTC.

2. If someone were to send me BTC to my old BTC address, I could still use my old wallet to retrieve those coins, right?

Yes, you should in that case open the wallet in Bitcoin wallet software again. A Bcash wallet won't see those transactions.

I recommend phasing out your old addresses, since I don't trust the security of Bcash wallets that you'll be giving your private keys to. If it would be difficult to phase out your old addresses, then I don't particularly recommend using this method of claiming your BCH. Other methods that don't involve giving your private keys to a Bcash wallet will become available in the coming weeks.

So my question is; would they honor by giving me bch or bcc which ever they are distributing out to the holders of bitcoin at the time of the split?

The exact moment of the split was not 12:20 or 14:00, but sometime between those. I haven't figured out yet when the exact split time was, though. I think that 12:22 was probably pre-split.

I wish I acted sooner so I can get the BCH I'm entitled to but because my bitcoins were stored on blockchain.info and coinbase,the online wallets must have blocked the BCH I'm entitled to as a result of the hard fork (creating BCH).

Good news, Film:  Coinbase has promised to credit customers with BCH!  (In a few months, LOL!)  At least they take the time to create safe wallets & apps.
mmgen-py

Activity: 110
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2017, 05:15:36 PM

So I've been trying to split the BCH from my BTC following the procedure given here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2059111.0

Basically what I've done is this:

* Synced up Bitcoin Core, and sent all my BTC to Kraken
* Installed BitcoinAbc on another PC (Windows), synced up to July 31 by using the command line argument connect=IpOfBitcoinCorePC, then let the remaing blocks sync up normally via the Internet
* Copied the wallet.dat from my Bitcoin Core PC and overwrote the wallet.dat on the BitcoinABC PC.

Balance on Bitcoin ABC is 0, and I see the transaction where I sent all my BTC to Kraken in the BitcoinABC wallet. That transaction is grayed out though and the status is "Open for 808 more blocks"

I also tried the following to solve the 0 balance in Bitcoin ABC:

* Start bitcoin-qt.exe with -rescan
* Launch "invalidateblock 00000000000000000019f112ec0a9982926f1258cdcc558dd7c3b7e5dc7fa148" in the Debug Console window of Bitcoin ABC.

Balance still at 0. Help?

You can either wait 808 blocks for the transaction to expire or try 'abandontransaction' with the transaction ID.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10394

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 06:28:29 PM

I am waiting for the arrival of my ledger nano s.  I though that they had in a built in coin splitter, so my plan was just to re-seed the ledger nano s  from my blockchain.info wallet.  that would accomplish the same thing for all addresses in the blockchain wallet and then creates two wallets on the ledger nano s, no?

That sounds plausible, but I don't know enough about how the nano S works to say for sure.

My ledger nano s has arrived (I had some troubles receiving it, and I had to reorder it, too based on changes in the shipping dates).

Has anyone tried the above?  reseed from blockchain info and then there is supposedly a coinsplitting feature in the ledger nano software?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 4386

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 06:43:30 PM

(I had some troubles receiving it, and I had to reorder it, too based on changes in the shipping dates).

they had to divert it through the NSA backchannel, nothing to worry about Jay   Tongue

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 07:19:19 PM

(I had some troubles receiving it, and I had to reorder it, too based on changes in the shipping dates).

they had to divert it through the NSA backchannel, nothing to worry about Jay   Tongue

diddling confirmed

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10394

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
August 10, 2017, 07:27:06 PM

I am not ruling that out completely - yet back to the original question, anyone split their BCH after reseeding the ledger nano s?

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: