Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:40:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 187 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN]🔵🔵 OYSTER 🔵🔵 Anonymous Storage Generates Revenue for Websites  (Read 73336 times)
spuhli

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 11:58:41 AM

As a website owner I know the problem about adblocker. Your project looks really good and I like IOTA too - so I hope you have much success. I will follow you Wink
brunoblock

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 11:59:48 AM

Why did you choose the IOTA Tangle ? What are the pros and the cons choosing IOTA for your project ? Did you consider other platforms ? If yes, which were these ?

What Oyster needs for storage is:

1) A decentralized ledger.
2) The ledger can retain data (payload in the transaction).
3) Proof of work can be practically done by individuals nodes, no mining pools (centralized).
4) Data must eventually expire off of the ledger (blockchain can't work).

The IOTA tangle suits the criteria perfectly.
Ferryarthur

Activity: 74

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:01:12 PM

I did not know about this coin untill i got the email. Which is actually a shame since it actually seems interesting. Although im no expert on the technical aspects, so i wouldnt know based on that. But the name isnt eXXX coin and the airdrop actually requires a bit more than most. I agree with the reasoning that oldskool advertisements dont work anymore and there should be an alternative. But how does the borrowing of the cpu/gpu work for non optimal people that have pc's slower than a slug? Is it limited and based on the individual's rig? And how is the value of storage calculated? If a startup has content but not enough visitors?

One thing you did achieve is me actually reading your info, which is something most ico's cant do. I might participate in the ico aswell.

uncertaintx

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:01:40 PM

I do hope this project takes off, I really think its a good initiative and I have recommended my friends on twitter and real life to take a look at this!
nono17000

Activity: 8

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:02:00 PM

Wow. It is quite rare to find a new project that can peak my interest in just one post. Joined the airdrop", or "great project
liviux

Activity: 210
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:03:45 PM

I think this is the first real airdrop with potential to grow, not like the other useless ERC20 token. Or waves tokens. Might be the first on IOTA as far as I know. Anyway good luck guys. I'm not into decentralised storage, but this one looks good.
Don't know about the name though Smiley not very inspiring
zumzumro

Activity: 195
Merit: 11

Learning more every day

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 12:04:31 PM

The concept of this is very nice. But i am asking: there is any posibilities that the Antivirus treat this as a threat?

Sometimes this kind of products get marked by different softwares and can cause problems with your site

NOIZ

⇐ ● A decentralized cognitive ad network ● ⇒

○ ○ ○ ➀ WEBSITEWHITEPAPERTELEGRAMTWITTERFACEBOOK  ○ ○ ○
jhdeanda

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:04:40 PM

I love the idea behind this project and I hope you and your team succeed!
brunoblock

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:05:39 PM

Who do you see as the biggest competitors to your project ?

Here is the response I gave for the icoalert interview:

ICO Alert: Other than combining multiple features, what makes Oyster better than competition who are also trying to revolutionize the storage or advertising space?

Oyster: Oyster competes with other projects on two fronts, website monetization and decentralized storage. I contest that it is better on both of those fronts, I will first explain the website monetization aspect. The most well-known example of a token that attempts to solve the issues of the digital advertising industry is BAT (Basic Attention Token). The BAT team designed their own browser called Brave, which tracks user attention to advertisements.

The first issue with BAT is the unrealistic expectation that any significant number of users would ditch Google Chrome and other popular web browsers to install Brave. The user is more likely to simply install Ad Block Plus instead of switching to Brave. With Oyster, deployment is simple as website owners need only add one line of code without having to go through any registration nor approval. The Oyster network is completely decentralized so no one can block them from generating revenue. The Oyster web client is easy to access without requiring large software changes on behalf of the user.

The second issue with BAT is that adverts are still distracting and invasive. These ads take up precious pixel space, often break the content and design continuity of websites, and are rarely politically neutral. Adverts must always be manually interpreted and approved for ethics compliance, therefore the system can never be fully decentralized. In contrast, adding Oyster to a website only shows a small notice for user consent therefore respecting the aesthetics and neutrality of the website.

With regards to other decentralized storage protocols such as Siacoin and Storj, all of their miners require custom software that runs natively within the operating system. Therefore with a lower deployment of miners comes lower storage scalability, redundancy, and hence reliability. Oyster can quickly and easily turn any visitor with a web browser into a miner, therefore resulting in a more scalable and reliable storage solution. Oyster’s main client is also web based, which has a lot more accessibility than software that runs natively within the operating system.

myetherwallet.com is a great example for how web based clients can be secure, reliable and accessible. End users will also prefer to pay for data storage with PRL due to Oyster’s stable pricing mechanism, as they probably don’t want to mix pricing speculation with their consistent storage needs. Imagine if a large corporation wants to buy $1 million worth of access to decentralized storage. Will they buy the coin that is highly speculative and volatile in price, like Siacoin and Storj, or the coin that is permanently pegged to the price of storage? There is no fallback mechanism if the price of Siacoin or Storj where to drop in half overnight, but any shocks to the price of PRL will rebound due to the economic principle of the commodity demand curve.
terencio

Activity: 742

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:06:48 PM

I've  hodl long term in IOTA, and  I bought more IOTA because in believe in a long term project. Currently, I've seen a lot of projects partnering with IOTA and I personally support any project that uses the tangle.

IOTA has a strong long-term future and any projects partner with Iota.

tyKiwanuka
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1670

#birdgang

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:11:06 PM

Why did you choose the IOTA Tangle ? What are the pros and the cons choosing IOTA for your project ? Did you consider other platforms ? If yes, which were these ?

3) Proof of work can be practically done by individuals nodes, no mining pools (centralized).

Thanks Bruno, IOTA is indeed a good match for you. What about the question about the competitors ?

.....wie die Zeit fliegt.....
sofakingporkhunt

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:16:41 PM

Closely following this project as I strongly believe this has potential, intrigued to how this works and will keep a close eye on it.
brunoblock

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:17:56 PM

Thanks Bruno, IOTA is indeed a good match for you. What about the question about the competitors ?

I responded about competitors: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2222507.msg23458707#msg23458707
BobbyTM

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:19:58 PM

Clever idea! Easy to implement and easy to use. I am really curious to see how they will be tackeling the marketing problem they are facing, though!  
bifle

Activity: 94

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:24:51 PM

Hi,

I just received the email with the airdrop rules. I am a little bit worried about the upcoming spam that could happen on this topic regarding the mandatory step to post here.

Anyway, tangle techno is a killer one, I am expecting hopefully the oyster tokens Smiley
tyKiwanuka
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1670

#birdgang

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:25:21 PM

I responded about competitors: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2222507.msg23458707#msg23458707

Ok, thank you, must have missed this post, sorry. If you allow another question: Why did you decide to airdop some of your token ? As I see it, this wasn't planned at first. Is this just for marketing reasons to get more people into Oyster ?

.....wie die Zeit fliegt.....
pieqiek

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:26:20 PM

I am very curious to what this coin has to offer us, I am joining ICO for sure. Let's hope this will moon very soon!
brunoblock

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:28:47 PM

Ok, thank you, must have missed this post, sorry. If you allow another question: Why did you decide to airdop some of your token ? As I see it, this wasn't planned at first. Is this just for marketing reasons to get more people into Oyster ?

Marketing, Oyster gets amazing testimonials from people who look into it but it's reach is very low in this crowded ICO market. It's got more substance and vision that the majority of projects out there but gets a fraction of the traffic.

The airdrop is exclusive for users who already signed up with airdropalert.com.
zritex

Activity: 546
Merit: 112

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 12:29:07 PM

Mining on the site like coinhive?
While the complexity of the network is low, for sure it will not be difficult to mine.
But what will happen next?

brunoblock

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:35:44 PM

Mining on the site like coinhive?
While the complexity of the network is low, for sure it will not be difficult to mine.
But what will happen next?
Oyster puts a small and subtle notice of consent for the user to contribute processing power. Therefore it doesn't carry the controversy and legal concerns of coinhive.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 187 »
  Print  

Jump to: