Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:23:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitfury is looking for alpha-testers of first chips! FREE MONEY HERE!  (Read 176672 times)
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 03:46:31 PM

eep, $90k/reel is up 50% from the last reel pricing I knew of... that doesn't bode well for profitability.

just for your information,it s almost 30 times of the costs of one wafer a wafer could contain easily 3000/4000 chips

a very good profit margin i have to say

They aren't interested in selling chips at all....
I'm starting to think same way....
Can't wait to see documentation from competition that suppose to show in September Wink

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
papamoi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:37:23 PM

eep, $90k/reel is up 50% from the last reel pricing I knew of... that doesn't bode well for profitability.

just for your information,it s almost 30 times of the costs of one wafer a wafer could contain easily 3000/4000 chips

Few months ago Bitfury posted some numbers. I think it was 4400 chips from one wafer...

yes that should be the right number so this give a more comfortable margin as a wafer is 2900/3000 usd
so costs of a chip is 0.68 usd sold for a discounted price of 67500 euros/3000=22.50 euros almost 30 usd

a discounted margin of 29.30 usd/chip

who is interested now?

Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:51:50 PM

Few months ago Bitfury posted some numbers. I think it was 4400 chips from one wafer...

yes that should be the right number so this give a more comfortable margin as a wafer is 2900/3000 usd
so costs of a chip is 0.68 usd sold for a discounted price of 67500 euros/3000=22.50 euros almost 30 usd

who is interested now?

You forgot packaging, but propably it's still less than 1$

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
papamoi

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:54:23 PM

who is interested now?

You forgot packaging, but propably it's still less than 1$
qfn packaging is the cheapest in the market and it s around 0.15 usd/chip aprox

still .....
console_cowboy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:31:05 PM

They aren't interested in selling chips at all, they've put a very high price (that changed at least 10 times as far as I know) and whatever doesn't get sold for that crazy price is assembled into units for their own mining farm.

Interesting to see a hardware vendor (Bitmine.ch) spreading FUD about another manufacturers product.

I don't think I'd go the BFL route if I were you.
cscape

Activity: 251

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:32:48 PM

Of course, you're not just paying for a piece of silicon wafer, but also for the months of design work, the cost of the mask set, as well as a risk premium.

Happy with your c-scape product ? Consider a tip: 16X2FWVRz6UzPWsu4WjKBMJatR7UvyKzcy
ssi

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 05:38:14 PM

Of course, you're not just paying for a piece of silicon wafer, but also for the months of design work, the cost of the mask set, as well as a risk premium.

Trust me, most of us are comfortable with that.  I'm more uncomfortable with the fact that the prices are staying set right at the ragged edge of profitability, and they're higher than they were originally announced to be.

18xEDfc7y1Nzm2kmLvwYq56xwwEz4Fdh6
vs3

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2013, 05:38:40 PM

I'm watching for updates on that too ... I hope they keep up that promise and do finally announce the pricing.
I really hope they won't ruin their so far pretty good reputation and take the Avalon/BFL route with everything happening "in two weeks" Sad

I'm getting concerned about that... I've designed a product around prices that were announced months ago and then rescinded, and I've been waiting approaching two weeks for $800 worth of chips that are "sorry they're expensive but they ship immediately" to be shipped.   My whole model depends on chips being available early in October and near the price I expect.  Bitfury chips are great, and I'm thrilled with them so far from a technical standpoint, but there's not enough margin in them if anything goes pear shaped :/

Chips came today... they shipped when they said they would, it was just the radio silence that had me aflutter I guess...

"Do they have chips" was never the question. Dave mentioned that they have enough in stock that if I wanted a reel I could have it tomorrow.

The question is "price". October chips were initially announced and available at $20/chip. Then the bait was taken away. Now they're $108/chip. AND they keep promising to announce October pricing but so far such thing hasn't happened.

A classic "bait and switch". Very disappointing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch
Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching").

I think it might be a bit early to consider it a bait and switch. They WERE offering October chips at acceptable prices. I suspect they either 1) sold out due to underestimating the demand or 2) chose to hold back sales to make sure they could satisfy their requirements for 100 TH Mine and other projects. Some information from Bitfury/Punin/Dave would go a long way towards easing fears of wasted effort.

So it seem I may have been right in suspecting them of bait-and-switch ... 50% increase in the price is quite a significant amount Sad

The only hope would be for October pricing - as this is supposedly second-half-of-September one.

papamoi

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 06:20:12 PM

I'm watching for updates on that too ... I hope they keep up that promise and do finally announce the pricing.
I really hope they won't ruin their so far pretty good reputation and take the Avalon/BFL route with everything happening "in two weeks" Sad

I'm getting concerned about that... I've designed a product around prices that were announced months ago and then rescinded, and I've been waiting approaching two weeks for $800 worth of chips that are "sorry they're expensive but they ship immediately" to be shipped.   My whole model depends on chips being available early in October and near the price I expect.  Bitfury chips are great, and I'm thrilled with them so far from a technical standpoint, but there's not enough margin in them if anything goes pear shaped :/

Chips came today... they shipped when they said they would, it was just the radio silence that had me aflutter I guess...

"Do they have chips" was never the question. Dave mentioned that they have enough in stock that if I wanted a reel I could have it tomorrow.

The question is "price". October chips were initially announced and available at $20/chip. Then the bait was taken away. Now they're $108/chip. AND they keep promising to announce October pricing but so far such thing hasn't happened.

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching").

I think it might be a bit early to consider it a bait and switch. They WERE offering October chips at acceptable prices. I suspect they either 1) sold out due to underestimating the demand or 2) chose to hold back sales to make sure they could satisfy their requirements for 100 TH Mine and other projects. Some information from Bitfury/Punin/Dave would go a long way towards easing fears of wasted effort.

So it seem I may have been right in suspecting them of bait-and-switch ... 50% increase in the price is quite a significant amount Sad

The only hope would be for October pricing - as this is supposedly second-half-of-September one.

I Didn t knew this bait and switch expression but that what bitfury played with me after promissing the chip for a certain price and then increase the price 5 times

lol

at least my english is improving i m still remaining positive as i m not a believer of greed GOD
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 08:50:24 PM

I'm getting concerned about that... I've designed a product around prices that were announced months ago and then rescinded, and I've been waiting approaching two weeks for $800 worth of chips that are "sorry they're expensive but they ship immediately" to be shipped.   My whole model depends on chips being available early in October and near the price I expect.  Bitfury chips are great, and I'm thrilled with them so far from a technical standpoint, but there's not enough margin in them if anything goes pear shaped :/

It sounds like these are not October chips but a sudden/new set of September chips? Either way the pricing isn't THAT bad but still more than I would have hoped to see. Time to move forward I suppose and pick up a few chips from Zefir for September delivery.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 09:15:48 PM

who is interested now?

Everybody. Even what you say is true Bitfury is the *only* option on the market that can get you profitable mining by the beginning of next month. Nothing else exists, not a single option. Others are either unprofitable (AsicMiner, Avalon), non-delivering (BLC), in pre-orders (KNC, HashFast, Cointerra) or in development state (others). What does that tell you about the disaster ASIC market is at the moment?
GandalfG

Activity: 259

Dig your freedom

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:36:23 AM

Ok,  but why prices go up relative to the first release? Its not fair.
As for me, is a typical manifestation of greed. Bitfury know that if we do not squeeze maximum profit for 2-3 months from now, later will be able to wallpaper the room these chips Tongue

Want to say thanks? 16ragydppe9QFRVhrdwEUjgfMS7KCfEFGY
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:40:30 AM

Isn't ghash.io running 170TH/s of Bitfury? That sale alone would have paid for the mask and design work.

needbmw
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 09:17:00 AM

Have a full 10 chip prototype board hashing now finally, plus five more on another board.  23.3GH on ten chips, 12.7GH on the other five.
Which miner did you use?
You can try my cgminer fork, I got 2.7-2.8GH/s averaged per chip on my 20 chips 4-layers board.

NO PSAKING!
ssi

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 01:08:17 PM

Have a full 10 chip prototype board hashing now finally, plus five more on another board.  23.3GH on ten chips, 12.7GH on the other five.
Which miner did you use?
You can try my cgminer fork, I got 2.7-2.8GH/s averaged per chip on my 20 chips 4-layers board.

Using chainminer.  I'll give your cgminer fork a shot.

18xEDfc7y1Nzm2kmLvwYq56xwwEz4Fdh6
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4536
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:06:31 AM

chainminer only mines to one pool?
Who was the idiot who wrote that miner ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 02:34:09 AM

No, it can mine to three pools if you want it to.  It's not a great piece of software, but it does work.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4536
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 04:31:59 AM

No, it can mine to three pools if you want it to.  It's not a great piece of software, but it does work.
Hmm then why was this problem reported?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49417.msg3153384#msg3153384
A user mistake?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:11:31 AM

I'd guess he had all three pool proxies pointing to the same place, with different worker numbers.  Kind of like this:

kaerf

Activity: 631

View Profile
September 15, 2013, 05:49:50 AM

Hmm then why was this problem reported?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49417.msg3153384#msg3153384
A user mistake?

it's load balanced, not failover.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: