Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 09:46:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 361 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OFFICIAL]Bitfinex.com first Bitcoin P2P lending platform for leverage trading  (Read 723640 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:06:50 AM

I did my first Bitfinex loan. Small amount just to test the water.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:50:19 AM

2 more questions:

1) Is LTC/BTC just a derivative, or is there any way to redeem litecoins or bitcoins from it?
2) I took a position shorting a few LTC/BTC, but it looks to me like there is some sort of glitch.  My "active positions" in trading wallet show the position completely filled, but in the "margin available" part, it looks as if the orders were only filled partially (it still shows available LTCs, while my active positions show all shorted in LTC/BTC form).  In the lending tab as well it looks as if the order only went through partially ("unused borrowed funds" is not empty, "borrowed funds used in margin" shows only part of the position).  
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:32:22 AM

How does this work exactly? How are the loans guaranteed? What happens if borrower defaults? I was interested in doing this too but found the info to be a bit vague.
LOADING.READY.RUN

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 10:36:22 AM

When you reduce (partially close) a position you close loans accordingly, which means that to enlarge your position you would have to borrow with new interest rates.

If there is a way to keep borrowed funds after reducing a position, I would love to know.

Yes, I would also love to have this option. Is this possible or is this planned at some point? Or is this undesirable to avoid monopolizing cheap interest rates?

Something else: It's common practice to keep an open (e.g. long) position safe by setting a stop loss slightly below the entry point and a limit order at the trade target. In Bitfinex this isn't safe because with considerable market volatility _both_ can get filled and I end up with a short position of the same size. Any suggestions how to avoid this?
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:51:58 PM

2) I took a position shorting a few LTC/BTC, but it looks to me like there is some sort of glitch.  My "active positions" in trading wallet show the position completely filled, but in the "margin available" part, it looks as if the orders were only filled partially (it still shows available LTCs, while my active positions show all shorted in LTC/BTC form).  In the lending tab as well it looks as if the order only went through partially ("unused borrowed funds" is not empty, "borrowed funds used in margin" shows only part of the position).  
This seems to have resolved itself.
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:17:35 PM

What happens if I lend someone money and lets say a few hours later they return the loan. Do I get any interest for that? Or is it only calculated daily.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 02:24:56 PM

What happens if I lend someone money and lets say a few hours later they return the loan. Do I get any interest for that? Or is it only calculated daily.
calculated per hour, paid out daily
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 03:37:47 PM

Is the interest paid into the deposit acc or the exchange acc?

calculated per hour, paid out daily
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:10:35 PM

So, bitfinex, how'd the last days go? Many margin calls? Any losses, where the margin call was executed too late? Any losses covered by insurance or being passed to the lender (without insurance)? Any insights on server performance, or any crazy stats from all the panicking users rushing at once?

People, I'd like to start a round of applause to the bitfinex team for upgrading the servers back then. It wasn't that pleasant back then, but it made the last hours so much more bearable! Imagine lack and downtimes *now*!
*applause*

Ente
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 05:15:15 PM

So, bitfinex, how'd the last days go? Many margin calls? Any losses, where the margin call was executed too late? Any losses covered by insurance or being passed to the lender (without insurance)? Any insights on server performance, or any crazy stats from all the panicking users rushing at once?

People, I'd like to start a round of applause to the bitfinex team for upgrading the servers back then. It wasn't that pleasant back then, but it made the last hours so much more bearable! Imagine lack and downtimes *now*!
*applause*

Yeah, the site seemed to be performing well (for me at least).

Is the interest paid into the deposit acc or the exchange acc?
deposit
nmtrader100

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:28:51 PM

I really don't understand how lending works.  It seems I have lent my $ twice today, 365 day loan - both times it seems it was payed back in under an hour which could mean I collect no interest at all for them.  Are people gaming this system?  I won't know until tomorrow because the interest is only payed out once per day.  It is also cumbersome that the auto-lend feature does not post your loan offer right away, it takes a lot more than 15 minutes, more like an hour or longer.  So people are borrowing and paying it back right away and I am not making any money and my loan offer is offline and taking a long time to be reposted.

I also don't understand the Minimum and Maximum lend times.  It appears that lending offers have a maximum amount of time they can be loaned out for but the borrower can pay these loans back any time they want?  On the loan request column it has a Minimum column which I assume means that the loan cannot be paid back sooner than this?  What happens if someone wants to pay back a minimum 365 day loan in 30 days?  I don't know exactly because there is no explanation of any of this anywhere on bitfinex.
Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:31:29 PM

How does this work exactly? How are the loans guaranteed? What happens if borrower defaults? I was interested in doing this too but found the info to be a bit vague.

Disclaimer: I am just a user, so this is just what I've figured out from various sources.

First off, Bitfinex offers a derivative instrument called "Contract-for-Difference". The Wikipedia page covers the basics how this works. The special thing with Bitfinex is that the loans are obtained from an internal market for loan offers. To generate revenue, Bitfinex keeps a fraction of the rates plus some trading fees.

Regarding guarnatees: you deal with Bitfinex, which is a company. Engaging in a contract with them bears some "Conterparty Risk". When Bitfinex defaults, it can't fulfil the contract anymore. As long as Bitfinex doesn't default or otherwise break the contract, it is of course the liability of Bitfinex to get your loans back, irrespective how.

There is the option to take an "insured loan".
In this case, an additional insurance contract with some Investor of Bitfinex is included. You pay that with significant additional fees.

Any loans used for trading are backed by the current value of the trader's trading account (margin), plus the current value of the opened trading position. Once the trading losses eat up the collateral, a margin call is issued and then the trader's position is force liquidated, to protect your loan. Thus, effectively the trader's own money (not the company's money) is used to cover the loan. But the essential risk of the derivative offered here is that the market rate can slip away while executing the forced liquidation, leaving the platform (Bitfinex) with an excess loss to cover.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:45:57 PM

I also don't understand the Minimum and Maximum lend times.  It appears that lending offers have a maximum amount of time they can be loaned out for but the borrower can pay these loans back any time they want?  On the loan request column it has a Minimum column which I assume means that the loan cannot be paid back sooner than this?  What happens if someone wants to pay back a minimum 365 day loan in 30 days?  I don't know exactly because there is no explanation of any of this anywhere on bitfinex.
The first part of your understanding is correct.  A borrower can pay back the loan at any time he wants, provided that it is within the limits (max. lending time) as chosen by the lender.  The right column in the lending tab are demands from borrowers for a certain loan.  The minimum lending time here indicates the minimal "max. lending time" they request.  Thus, if you start a new lending offer, and max.lending time => min. lending time and the offered rate =< requested rate, then your lending offer will be filled nearly instantly.  If the rates of your outstanding lending offers are too high for current demand, they will just end up in the left column, until somebody comes by and borrows the money.
nmtrader100

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:27:37 PM

A loan should be for a certain number of days at a certain interest rate and if the borrower wants to pay it back early then there is a 2-5% early repayment fee.  This would be so much better. 
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:30:30 PM

A loan should be for a certain number of days at a certain interest rate and if the borrower wants to pay it back early then there is a 2-5% early repayment fee.  This would be so much better.  
I understand where you are coming from, but imho Bitfinex isn't going to do that.  They will want people to move in and out of trades easily because they get an exchange fee each time.
Plus, being able to exit a position whenever you feel like it may drive up demand for margin trading, and thereby increase lending rates.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:33:20 PM

Well, you can just auto-lend, but please check current rates from time to time, it makes 0 sense to auto-lend at less than 150-200% at current rates. I regularly get 364.99% loans filled (yes, they are for significant amounts of money too, not just 10 USD).

I'd love to see confirmation that loans will ALWAYS be charged interest by the way, so far it seems interest gets calculated on all open lonas randomly about every 10 minutes or so, people who do a bit of experimentation might be able to have short time positions that don't pay interest at all. On the other hand it often takes ages until auto-lend triggers, especially problematic as you need to use auto-lend for anything below 100 USD (it is hard for me to get above 100 USD in interest per day).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:19:48 PM

I'd love to see confirmation that loans will ALWAYS be charged interest by the way, so far it seems interest gets calculated on all open lonas randomly about every 10 minutes or so, people who do a bit of experimentation might be able to have short time positions that don't pay interest at all.
Is that really an issue though?  If it is really calculated every 10 minutes, you would have to make 0.24% /10 minutes just to break even.  Not saying it can't be done, but hardly seems worth the trouble to me.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:33:56 PM

If a loan is even taken for 1 minute I should be paid interest for 1 hour per the rules. If that doesn't happen, I loose out - I don'T see how there should be a "break even" point.

Also on the other hand, due to the low frequency that auto-lend seems to post new loans once funds become available, taking a loan for 1 minute can mean that there are several hours where my loan offer will not be reposted and not available to be taken. All this for free.

Edit: This could be a viable tactic to drive up loan rates by the way - borrow funds for a few seconds and hope that the ones lending out were using auto-lend or even worse are posting manually. While I still find it horrible that loans above 365% won't be considered and require manual intervention, this potential for manipulation is still not nice in my opinion.

A tip for people "trying out" the lending feature: If you have no idea what to do, use the flash rate. If you know what you do, you can earn about 0.8%-0.9% per day on USD loans.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:45:56 PM

If a loan is even taken for 1 minute I should be paid interest for 1 hour per the rules. If that doesn't happen, I loose out - I don'T see how there should be a "break even" point.
I meant that traders wouldn't do this because there is no clearly profitable incentive for them.

Also on the other hand, due to the low frequency that auto-lend seems to post new loans once funds become available, taking a loan for 1 minute can mean that there are several hours where my loan offer will not be reposted and not available to be taken. All this for free.
good point

ParmaBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 09:15:53 PM

I'm Bitfinex user from August
i learned myself after i made some mistake.
I'm invinting some friend to have a test with this platform. some of they  enjoys

thanks
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 361 »
  Print  

Jump to: