Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:05:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What feature you want to see next?
auto tune each mining board - 45 (35.7%)
3 profile switch support (low noise, normal, high performance mode) - 13 (10.3%)
day / night speed schedule - 10 (7.9%)
pool balance / quota option - 9 (7.1%)
v2 configurable reboot on low hashrate / HW errors - 16 (12.7%)
DONE: cgminer v4.10 update - 4 (3.2%)
miner shutdown (+ on high temps) - 11 (8.7%)
better pool management - 9 (7.1%)
DONE:better awesome miner compatibility - 3 (2.4%)
move FAN settings to advanced page - 2 (1.6%)
<your idea> - 4 (3.2%)
Total Voters: 126

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 126 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer D3 Blissz firmware (10/12 v1.12 update)  (Read 125816 times)
blissz (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 258

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:27:52 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2018, 10:10:06 AM by blissz

WARNING THIS FIRMWARE MIGHT VOID THE WARRANTY ON YOUR MINER

This is for the D3 only. An L3+ version is available here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2694602.0

v1.12 :: 10/12 :: RECOMMENDED UPDATE

Download:
Temporary removed, see the last message in this topic

link / info to latest beta: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2346161.msg27576989#msg27576989

Upgrade instructions:
  • Recommended, at your current firmware, set the miner frequency at 400mhz and set your fan speed manual at 25% before flashing.
  • Download the custom firmware. (don't unpack it)
  • Flash by going to "System" -> "Upgrade" -> "Flash new firmware image" and select the custom firmware.
  • After flashing, check the advanced settings page and start at the lowest voltage setting and 400mhz. From there increase your frequency to see how high you can go at the lowest voltage setting.
  • Start tweaking some more. See the profile suggestions below.

Changes 10/12:
- Improved awesome miner / other mining managers compatibility (setting the priority was not working)
- fix kernel log window height (saves you double scrolling...)
- added permanent antbleed fix (prevent remote control of your miner by bitmain Roll Eyes) -> for details see http://www.antbleed.com/

Changes 08/12:
- improved stability on some pools (included prohashing)
- fixed pool priority issue after a pool temporary died.
- fixed high frequency settings above 650 Mhz
- increased frequency settings to the boards max physical limits (825Mhz. Don't try this without knowing what you're doing Wink)

Changes 02/12:
- improved temperature sensor reading stability of all chains
- improved board / chain detection
- fixed an issue where the miner could hang mining the dev fee if your first pool is down
- improved awesome miner compatibility (special thanks to @funminer for beta testing)

Changes 29/11:
- seperated low hashrate and ASIC fail detection option in advanced configuration screen
- reboot on low hashrate or high ASIC fail rate only after 3 times consecutive detection (less sensitive now)
- further improved startup stability of all chains
- further cgminer binary optimizations

Changes 28/11:
- Fixed the automatic reboot on low hashrate or high ASIC fail rate.
- updated cgminer to v4.10 (for details see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg17594456#msg17594456)
- improved pool switching behavior
- improved startup stability of all chains
- cgminer binary optimizations

Please update versions older then 26/11 as it can damage your D3.

Changes 26/11:
- Solved an issue where loosing your network connection for a longer period could burn out your hashing boards as the fans run at a very low RPM.

Changes 25/11 v2:
- Hashrate calculation is now according bitmain stock firmware (displayed  hashrate is ~3% higher now)
- + ~1% performance improvment by providing the work faster to the ASICs  Cool
- removed dev pool from miner status page to speed up webinterface and avoid confusion (exact dev mining details are visible in the kernel log)

Changes 25/11:
- fixed auto reboot on low hashrate / xxxx
- fixed issue where temperature readings could be wrong
- fixed fan error on some units
- improved stability
- allows for zero RPM fan (all custom fans should work now)
- increased upper limit frequency for overclocking. (not recommended though Wink)
- dev fee kicks in a bit later now after changing settings

Changes 23/11:
- way faster mining startup after changing settings / reboot
- adds the reboot on low hashrate option
- ~ 1% improvement on effective average hashrate *jeeej*
- fixed flash upgrade speed to new versions
- added AUTO FAN profiles:
The AUTO default profile is the one that's in since the start, the performance is more like the stock bitmain auto fan profile and the silent profile keeps things nice and quiet. Manual mode is for setting a static fan speed.

Changes 21/11:
- Firmware now based on latest Bitmain firmware (20/11/2017)
- made default bitmain voltage a bit more clear in the list.
- Applied a more silent AUTO fan profile.
- Fixed the high fan RPM at startup when using AUTO fan speed
- several webinterface fixes

Changes 20/11:
- ASIC frequency adjustable per chain
- Voltage settings adjustable per chain
- new graphics. (You might need to clear your browser cache)
- Switching pools overhead lowered (now mines for fee every 2 hours)

Changes 18/11:
- fixes the pool priority, it will now mine on your own backup pools when your first pool goes down.
- Dev fee lowered to 1,5% (it was actually 1,66%)

Changes 17/11:
- fixes the high fan speed when switching to the dev pool and back to your main pool
- fixes the close PIC and need reboot!!! error on the original bitmain firmware
- Made the ASIC default voltage less confusing as it is now comparable to the default bitmain voltage.
- Lowered the AUTO profile fan RPM's a little bit.

know issues:

- switching pools can sometimes cause the miner to wait for work for ~5 seconds. (improved from ~10 seconds)
- loosing network connection doesn't stop the mining boards properly (this is default bitmain behavior, but I don't like it, so it will be changed in the future)

Important:

- As this firmware allows extreme overclocking / reduce fan speeds, I am not responsible for any damage to your miner. So flash at your own risk and please use the firmware wisely.
- There is a 1,5% mining fee as compensation for the effort I put into this project.

Some startup settings to get you going:

Video guide
Check out these awesome guides by Crypto pants if you don't know where to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0NqSUL5j4s

and how to use it together with awesominer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlLSLZWd7pA

for silence and best efficiency / miner lifetime (my personal preference)

Expected hashrate: 15Mh/s to 17 Mh/s
Expected power usage: 700 - 780 watt

set the frequency at "400mhz", set the voltage to "lowest". Now slowly increase the frequency until you see HW errors. When you have a few HW errors an hour you found the sweet spot
set the fan speed manual somewhere between 20 - 30 percent. Chip temp should be somewhere between 75 - 80 degrees max.

For stock performance at lowest possible power usage

Expected hashrate: 18-5Mh/s to 19Mh/s
Expected power usage: 950 - 1100 watt

set the fan speed to automatic mode.
set the frequency at "525mhz", set the voltage to "13". Now decrease the voltage until you see HW errors. When you have a few HW errors an hour you found the sweet spot

For Extreme performance (this is not recommended for 24/7 usage)

Expected hashrate: 21Mh/s
Expected power usage: 1300 - 1400 watt

set the fan speed to automatic mode.
set the frequency at "600mhz", set the voltage to "18". Now decrease the voltage until you see HW errors. When you have a few HW errors an hour you found the sweet spot

Back to bitmain stock firmware:
In case you want to go back to the original firmware:
- set the voltage of all boards to 13 before flashing back (just to make sure...)
- download and flash this image: https://shop.bitmain.com/support.htm?pid=00720170915192851224mJ36J1ap066E
- reset to defaults

Firmware recovery:
This is only needed if the miner doesn't boot anymore (In case you had a bad / interrupted) flash:
- get a microsd card
- write this image to it with win32diskimager: https://shop.bitmain.com/support.htm?pid=007201604120945219855QObfk20066C
- insert the micro sd card in the d3 controller board and power it on. The miner webinterface will come up again. (maybe under another ip)
- redownload the firmware and flash again.
- remove the micro sd card

Special thanks goes to:
- All the first beta testers
- cryptonitro for this awesome new Antminer icon
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blissz (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:28:07 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2017, 07:06:22 AM by blissz

hard mod information (depricated)

UPDATE 16/11/2017: I successfully modded the firmware which will add unlocked voltage and fan control, so I advice NOT to hardware mod and see how far you can go with the firmware mod. If you want to undervolt more I advice the hard mod.

Hardmod info

The antminer D3
As an owner of the October batch of the antminer D3 I have good news. I now run my antminer D3 stable @ 15Gh/s with just 750 watts.  Cool
I decided to go for a mod, because I couldn't run the fans at full speed because of the noise. Therefore I could only run 13 Mh/s @ 850 watts before the mod, which is now not very profitable. Cry

The mod:
To get there I tried to reverse engineer the power circuit of the antminer D3 mining boards. Unfortunately there is some chip which I still don't know the specs from (labeled ADP BDY+), but I found out it's controlling the PWM of the mosfets.
So I tried changing the resistors around it and found out that changing the resistor R80 controls the voltage. Woop Woop Grin
So if you want to do the mod I advice to replace R80 by a 25k ohm potentiometer. The voltage can be measured over C948

Improvement:
without the mod the total voltage supplied to the asic chips is fixed @ 8.15v on the October batch. That means 1300 watts for 19Gh/s
After the mod the voltage is fully adjustable by using the potentiometer. It also allows to increase the voltage for overclocking if you want to do so.
But overclocking is not my goal, I wanted a silent miner: Therefore I now run my boards @ 7.1v @ 430 Mhz stable. That means 750 Watts for 15Gh/s
That is 50 instead of 68 watt per Gh/s  Cool

Photos
The mod is quite easy if you have some proper soldering skills, but it's tricky if you don't have the proper tools / not have a steady hand...

upload gifs online

ps. I will make new higher res zoomed pics soon.

Other possible mods:

Fan mod: (only when undervolting)
as I don't like that noise at all I also did some fan mods. I added a voltage regulator on one of the fans to decrease the noise during startup. cgminer won't allow you to go bellow 5000rpm othwerwise the miner fails to start.
 Furthermore I replaced the second fan with a 2000rpm silent fan. To make this work you have to use the yellow wire (fan rpm) from the first fan as wire for the 2nd fan. Otherwise it detects a too low fan speed on the second fan.
I can say that running both fans @ 2000 rpm is acceptable to run it in a living room now.

Power supply mod: (only when undervolting)
By default the power supply runs @ 12.2v. I used the potentiometer inside to make it run @ 12.05v. This saves a few watts of power as well. Furthermore I added a regulator on the fan, to run it at 5v as this  small fans makes an annoying high frequency noise when running at full speed.

Support
I hope this information does inspire you and help you improve the efficiency on the antminer D3. I hope to improve the mod: as I want to look into a software mod to enable changing the voltage from software. This would really open up the possibilities for all the users.
To get there I still look for a copy of the November miner firmware as bitmain is not supplying this yet. If one can login using ssh and make a full copy of the all the files that would be really welcome.
shaninium

Activity: 489
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:34:31 PM

The antminer D3
As an owner of the October batch of the antminer D3 I have good news. I now run my antminer D3 stable @ 15Gh/s with just 750 watts.  Cool
I decided to go for a mod, because I couldn't run the fans at full speed because of the noise. Therefore I could only run 13 Mh/s @ 850 watts before the mod, which is now not very profitable. Cry

The mod:
To get there I tried to reverse engineer the power circuit of the antminer D3 mining boards. Unfortunately there is some chip which I still don't know the specs from (labeled ADP BDY+), but I found out it's controlling the PWM of the mosfets.
So I tried changing the resistors around it and found out that changing the resistor R80 controls the voltage. Woop Woop Grin
So if you want to do the mod I advice to replace R80 by a 25k ohm potentiometer. The voltage can be measured over C948

Improvement:
without the mod the total voltage supplied to the asic chips is fixed @ 8.15v on the October batch. That means 1300 watts for 19Gh/s
After the mod the voltage is fully adjustable by using the potentiometer. It also allows to increase the voltage for overclocking if you want to do so.
But overclocking is not my goal, I wanted a silent miner: Therefore I now run my boards @ 7.1v @ 430 Mhz stable. That means 750 Watts for 15Gh/s
That is 50 instead of 68 watt per Gh/s  Cool

Photos
The mod is quite easy if you have some proper soldering skills, but it's tricky if you don't have the proper tools / not have a steady hand...

upload gifs online

Other possible mods:

as I don't like that noise at all I also did some fan mods. I added a voltage regulator on one of the fans to decrease the noise during startup. cgminer won't allow you to go bellow 5000rpm othwerwise the miner fails to start.
 Furthermore I replaced the second fan with a 2000rpm silent fan. To make this work you have to use the yellow wire (fan rpm) from the first fan as wire for the 2nd fan. Otherwise it detects a too low fan speed on the second fan.
I can say that running both fans @ 2000 rpm is acceptable to run it in a living room now.

By default the power supply runs @ 12.2v. I used the potentiometer inside to make it run @ 12.05v. This saves a few watts of power as well. Furthermore I added a regulator on the fan, to run it at 5v as this  small fans makes an annoying high frequency noise when running at full speed.

Support
I hope this information does inspire you and help you improve the efficiency on the antminer D3. I hope to improve the mod: as I want to look into a software mod to enable changing the voltage from software. This would really open up the possibilities for all the users.
To get there I still look for a copy of the November miner firmware as bitmain is not supplying this yet. If one can login using ssh and make a full copy of the all the files that would be really welcome.

Support on this mod project is more than welcome as I want to have a spare D3 for modding the software. A (damaged) donor D3 or S9 would be very welcome as well, as this baby really needs some mods too Smiley

DASH: XpppzJw4PJyTYYEJNf78Zt1DrHVAA7ogvx
BTC: 1Na1A2pBSWn6ZEw3mSG9NLpQY77brWcfue

Impressive, well done. Undervolting would void the warranty prob like with oc.

blissz (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:41:56 PM

Yes I will add this to the topic as this definitely voids the warranty on the mining boards Smiley
On the other hand, this will improve efficiency and heat problems, so on average this will improve the lifetime of the miner
Dopert

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:26:57 PM

That is some nice tweaking. Txs for sharing  Smiley
taserz

Activity: 801
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 10:56:56 AM

Do you have a L3+ of if I snapped some pictures of it's board could we do the same with the L3+ and get better efficiency.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
blissz (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 01:05:05 PM

Do you have a L3+ of if I snapped some pictures of it's board could we do the same with the L3+ and get better efficiency.

I don't have an L3+ but if you can make a good closeup photo of the electronics near the 4 mosfets, I can take a look for you
taserz

Activity: 801
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 08:16:02 PM

I don't have an L3+ but if you can make a good closeup photo of the electronics near the 4 mosfets, I can take a look for you

Next time I crack one open I will. (I would say soon but I put a bunch of exhaust vents on them so it's a bitch to have to open one up now since they are dual exhaust hooking up to miners to one pipe.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
slv1221

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 11:33:21 PM

do you run the miner on another algorithm?
Ppot

Activity: 68

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 06:24:29 PM

Do you have a mod ‘s schema?
Maicol792
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 06:10:32 PM

hello @blissz on the board have PIC16F1704? if we reprogramm this pic we can add more algo for mining? thanks
blissz (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 08:59:14 AM

Do you have a mod ‘s schema?

simply remove the R80 resistor and put the potentiometer in it's place. 25k is what I use, but you will be fine with anything between 10k - 50k I would say. A fine tuning potentionmeter makes adjusting a bit easier.
blissz (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 09:02:49 AM

hello @blissz on the board have PIC16F1704? if we reprogramm this pic we can add more algo for mining? thanks

Probably this is possible, but this will be a lot of work as both cgminer / the pic and also the asic software must be adjusted. I think it's possible for a bitmain programmer to make in a few days, but for me / any other programmer we have to rewrite the software completely which takes months I would say.
kats2005

Activity: 16

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 03:45:56 PM

WARNING THIS WILL VOID THE WARRANTY ON YOUR MINER

https://preview.ibb.co/jmOdDG/20171031_171454.jpg

The antminer D3
As an owner of the October batch of the antminer D3 I have good news. I now run my antminer D3 stable @ 15Gh/s with just 750 watts.  Cool

The mod:

Improvement:
That is 50 instead of 68 watt per Gh/s  Cool

Photos

https://preview.ibb.co/cYmyDG/20171031_163632.jpg
upload gifs online

Other possible mods:

By default the power supply runs @ 12.2v. I used the potentiometer inside to make it run @ 12.05v. This saves a few watts of power as well. Furthermore I added a regulator on the fan, to run it at 5v as this  small fans makes an annoying high frequency noise when running at full speed.

Support

Support on this mod project is more than welcome as I want to have a spare D3 for modding the software. A (damaged) donor D3 or S9 would be very welcome as well, as this baby really needs some mods too Smiley

Any update on posting a new higher res zoomed pics ?

mcan

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 04:05:58 PM

At least you have better solution than Buttmain  company. Those idiots does not finds any single solution for their clients.

Thank you.
cryptonitro

Activity: 348
Merit: 119

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 05:07:52 PM

Hello , and thanks for share , i m waiting 1 for batch end of november , difficulty is very stuck now.
it 's very interesting to mod i think , yeah a good point would be to have mutli algo possible , buyt i think it s a dream , bitmain dont care about customer , buy a product 2 month before is just a trap ...
but anyway , i'll could have photos of D3 for the next batch , and probably have photo of l3+ 1-10 nov batch soon for you Smiley

The only project make me believe ... Holochain
kats2005

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 05:45:17 PM

https://preview.ibb.co/jmOdDG/20171031_171454.jpg

The antminer D3
As an owner of the October batch of the antminer D3 I have good news. I now run my antminer D3 stable @ 15Gh/s with just 750 watts.  Cool

The mod:

Improvement:
That is 50 instead of 68 watt per Gh/s  Cool

Photos

https://preview.ibb.co/cYmyDG/20171031_163632.jpg
upload gifs online

Other possible mods:

By default the power supply runs @ 12.2v. I used the potentiometer inside to make it run @ 12.05v. This saves a few watts of power as well. Furthermore I added a regulator on the fan, to run it at 5v as this  small fans makes an annoying high frequency noise when running at full speed.

Support

Which is the first FAN ? inlet or outlet fan. ?
What Fan model are you using that gives you 2000rpm silent fan ?
Can't it work if i replaced both fans with the silent fans ?

blissz (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 07:26:06 PM

Which is the first FAN ? inlet or outlet fan. ?
What Fan model are you using that gives you 2000rpm silent fan ?
Can't it work if i replaced both fans with the silent fans ?

I replaced the outlet fan with a silent model: scythe slipstream 1900
You can't replace both as it will detect a too low fan rpm during startup.

You need to pass through the fan rpm wire (yellow one) to the slipstream 1900 one (so completely remove the yellow wire of the new fan)

I run my miner now @700 watts with the fans both around 1900 rpm. This is really silent compared  to the original values.
blissz (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 07:27:21 PM

Hello , and thanks for share , i m waiting 1 for batch end of november , difficulty is very stuck now.
it 's very interesting to mod i think , yeah a good point would be to have mutli algo possible , buyt i think it s a dream , bitmain dont care about customer , buy a product 2 month before is just a trap ...
but anyway , i'll could have photos of D3 for the next batch , and probably have photo of l3+ 1-10 nov batch soon for you Smiley

For multi algo we're hand over to the bitmain I am afraid....
Send me the L3+ pics once you got it Smiley
kats2005

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 04:44:40 PM

For multi algo we're hand over to the bitmain I am afraid....
Send me the L3+ pics once you got it Smiley

D3 firmware released Nov-2017

https://shop.bitmain.com/support.htm?pid=00720170915192851224mJ36J1ap066E
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 126 »
  Print  

Jump to: