Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:08:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [NR 1] Triplemining.com <> BIG jackpot every week <>  (Read 113364 times)
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

I'd still like to know what Diablo's evidence is. I'm packing up and heading back to Eligius regardless, but I would still like to know what evidence is backing his claims.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZombieDeity

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:15:53 PM

I am beginning to wonder.  My estimated reward for this long-ass block keeps dropping, despite my constant hash rate.  What's to stop a pool owner from keeping a block for himself?
enmaku

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:52:12 PM

Yeah, while other pools, solo mining etc have certainly taught me that long blocks happen, we're rapidly approaching the 95% point for this pool's hash rating and it seems more likely by the minute that block #3 will never hit and that our hashing power has been stolen. Too much longer and even if it's not technically proven it'll be statistically proven Sad
madtea

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 05:52:46 PM

people cant be trusted

You just figured that out now?

yeah XD
Auspician

Activity: 126
Merit: 103

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 06:46:20 PM

I am beginning to wonder.  My estimated reward for this long-ass block keeps dropping, despite my constant hash rate. 

That's because we've added hashpower this round.  If the hashpower increases, you're a smaller percentage of total and thus your estimated reward will go down.  If hashpower decreases, then you're a larger percentage of the total and so your estimated reward will go up. 

What's to stop a pool owner from keeping a block for himself?

I'm unsure if there is anything that technically prevents a pool owner from keeping a block, but doing so will only discourage people from mining with that pool (based upon a perception of bad luck) if they don't know about it, or encourage people to leave in droves if it becomes public. 

Maybe there is someone more technically versed who can explain what (if anything) prevents a pool owner from keeping a block for themselves. 
Nagios

Activity: 71

thevapebook.com

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 07:14:34 PM

I have faith in you Auspician Smiley

/ehug

Find something I said tip worthy? 1Nf47w5mk7a425xLTrV8U4eswqveoxwTv1
MrSam (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 08:22:09 PM

I am beginning to wonder.  My estimated reward for this long-ass block keeps dropping, despite my constant hash rate.  What's to stop a pool owner from keeping a block for himself?

I'm willing to show the full transactions list of our account, keeping a block from our users is really not that good of an idea.
MrSam (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 09:09:17 PM

Hej guys,

I feel like i'm letting you down, the first few days where like a roller coaster ride. 2 blocks, from 4 to 10ghash, then from 10 to 20, and only last night we where peaking above 70Ghs.

If only the blocks would keep coming in... I feel that now is the time, more then ever to stick to our cause. To grow and be the best pool ever.
I try to be clear in everything that we do, be 'fun' by doing incentives, and to be profitable by redistributing some of the income that we could get by taking a fee.

I can really understand that some of you are getting jumpy about this next block, but i am sure that it cannot be that far off ! I will keep motivating you guys buy doing plenty of actions, and by being here for you on the forum when you need me.

What started for me as a hobby, went way beyond that, i would even go as far as saying that we are now the triplemining family !

Hang in there ! Your patience will pay off.

MrSam,
Yours truly
MrSam (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2011, 09:20:38 PM

I would also like to ask everyone to keep it cool on the threads in "Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Mining > Pools".

Thanks for your understanding !
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 10:25:39 PM

I'm unsure if there is anything that technically prevents a pool owner from keeping a block, but doing so will only discourage people from mining with that pool (based upon a perception of bad luck) if they don't know about it, or encourage people to leave in droves if it becomes public.

Doesn't matter, IMO. A block's value is more than most small pool owners would ever make in fees during the lifespan of the site.

I've been in two small time pools that stole the first mined block & shut down their website. Not a big deal back then considering the block was worth just a few dozen bucks; Now the financial motive is $750 dollars for no work on your part beside hosting a half-assed site.

I'm not implying Sam is such a person, I'm saying the motivation is definitely there.
If not blatantly stealing & running away, then just taking the block & claiming you are undergoing an "unlucky round due to variance" and hoping the miners will just keep mining for you. You get 50 BTC and they'll never know about it.

Big site operators have zero motive for this because they'll make 50 BTC legit with their fees in the span of a normal operating day. They don't need foul play and will actually lose money in the long term if caught. Small pool ops have no reputation or business to lose. They'll make 2-5 BTC off pool fees in a few months if they're lucky.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
enmaku

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 10:33:05 PM

Doesn't matter, IMO. A block's value is more than most small pool owners would ever make in fees during the lifespan of the site.

I've been in two small time pools that stole the first mined block & shut down their website. Not a big deal back then considering the block was worth just a few dozen bucks; Now the financial motive is $750 dollars for no work on your part beside hosting a half-assed site.

I'm not implying Sam is such a person, I'm saying the motivation is definitely there.
If not blatantly stealing & running away, then just taking the block & claiming you are undergoing an "unlucky round due to variance" and hoping the miners will just keep mining for you. You get 50 BTC and they'll never know about it.

Big site operators have zero motive for this because they'll make 50 BTC legit with their fees in the span of a normal operating day. They don't need foul play and will actually lose money in the long term if caught. Small pool ops have no reputation or business to lose. They'll make 2-5 BTC off pool fees in a few months if they're lucky.

This.

Especially considering that their pool structure is basically zero fee, Mr Sam wouldn't have been making much off of, say 50 GH/s of power. Even if he kept the 1% rather than redistributing it that's less than 10 BTC per month at current difficulty. Ignoring the variance problem completely, we should have solved between 3 and 4 blocks in this amount of time with our amount of power. that's 150 to 200 BTC worth of incentive - 15 to 20 months worth of profit at no real cost whatsoever.

It's a cool idea, but the incentive to cheat is too high and the pool owner's rep is too low. Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe Mr Sam is an honest guy and we're just having a really terrible round, but I'll be back over at Eligius for now, if for no other reason because at least I know Luke-Jr's rep better than Mr Sam's.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 08, 2011, 11:41:53 PM

Meni Rosenfeld or someone else on the forum came up with the idea of SMPPS, or Shared Maximum Pay Per Share system.

You should read up on it, it makes smaller pools practically scam-proof and gives incentive to keep mining even during bad luck streaks. Your share value doesn't depreciate the longer the round becomes, like in a proportional system.

Arsbitcoin and a few other medium sized pools already use the system. The idea of a share buffer means you get paid exactly for the amount of work you do, even if there isn't currently enough BTC to pay for it. In other words, it gives long term immunity against variance unless everyone suddenly stops mining.

Pure PPS is rare because it takes thousands of bitcoins from the pool op as a safety mechanism. I don't know of many sites besides deepbit that have it, and they take a 10% fee for the zero variance you get in return. Tycho can only afford it because his pool has 4-5000ghash/s.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
DullJack

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 12:23:42 AM
Last edit: July 09, 2011, 12:59:52 AM by DullJack

Hey, do any of you guys run headless ubuntu rigs?

I've been trying to get vnc/remote desktop working on my rig so i can move it away from my monitor and into another room that isn't my bedroom! I am trying to connect to my ubuntu mining rig from my ubuntu pc, never messed with ubuntu's remote desktop software before now. As much as I enjoy having my own personal sauna, it would be nice to move this thing to a less inhabited part of the house and just manage it from my regular pc... For whatever reason, I just can't connect though. I've tried remote desktop and a few other vnc options but nothing works for me even though they seem to be correctly configured. 

I'm not asking someone to hold my hand through this, but if you could point me into the direction of a guide or something that actually works, that would be awesome.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I give up and will just SSH into that badboy. Cheesy
ZombieDeity

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 01:31:30 AM

I give up; I'm leaving.  The benefits of this pool aren't worthwhile.  If I wanted wild variance in my mining performance, I'd solo.  It's been fun.  Lates!
Auspician

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:05:49 AM

You should read up on it, it makes smaller pools practically scam-proof and gives incentive to keep mining even during bad luck streaks. Your share value doesn't depreciate the longer the round becomes, like in a proportional system.

This.  Seems like a solution to both wild variance AND pool hopping.  Could this be implemented, MrSam?
Auspician

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:07:17 AM

I'm willing to show the full transactions list of our account, keeping a block from our users is really not that good of an idea.

I'd suggest doing this right away.  It would earn our members trust and faith in the system.
PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:27:43 AM

Ausp, MrSam, everyone,

Can we learn how to use the EDIT button? Please?

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
ZombieDeity

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 02:30:29 AM

I'd suggest doing this right away.  It would earn our members trust and faith in the system.

Showing a transaction list for one address or an entire wallet doesn't mean anything.  That's the beauty (and beast) of the anonymity built into Bitcoins.  He could have half a million other addresses.

I'm not saying MrSam is dishonest.  I'm just saying it would be easy for him to be dishonest.  I can't accept that kind of risk while I'm trying to pay off my investment.  Maybe I'll come back when I'm in the black.
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 02:56:24 AM

Probability's a bitch, and all, but me and my 12GH/s are getting kinda bored here.

With USD/BTC down to 13 in the past few days, I'm running on very slim margins. Unless a miracle block is found by the next time I wake up, I'll be going back to the big pools. Even with higher commissions, predictability beats gimmicks every day.

Still, MrSam, your model has promise. It's just not for me right now.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
DullJack

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 04:00:21 AM

Probability's a bitch, and all, but me and my 12GH/s are getting kinda bored here.

With USD/BTC down to 13 in the past few days, I'm running on very slim margins. Unless a miracle block is found by the next time I wake up, I'll be going back to the big pools. Even with higher commissions, predictability beats gimmicks every day.

Still, MrSam, your model has promise. It's just not for me right now.

Truth, with some more hash power or maybe blocks that are, I don't know, sub 5 million shares, this pool could really blow up. Unfortunately you have to start small to get big and there is a mixture of fate and hate that is holding this pool back. It's hurting me too, so if something doesn't happen soon I may have to duck out, temporarily at least.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: