Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:52:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 586 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast announces specs for new ASIC: 400GH/s  (Read 880232 times)
eve

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:41:00 AM

More to the point who's financing? As you have started without requiring pre-order cash to cover NRE...

Just hope they Don't take pre orders like the others. Almost all the One's that take pre orders are a Big dis-graced to the bitcoin community. Please don't take our hard earn money to finance your ventures. They are local financial institutions go look for them or used your own hard earn money and take the risks. When your stocks are available we will happily buy from you.

Errr...we're talking millions.

Most will avoid pre order at all costs , looks what butterfly and avalon did if Escrow is provided some may take the risks or pay with paypal to have some degree of protection

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:48:38 AM

seems like it's becoming China Vs US with Europe somewhere in 3rd

ok
dracore

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:10:22 AM

The letter says they'll have finished chips in October.  So delivery to customers in November?
papamoi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:11:36 AM

so one chip will hash at 400gigahash/sec?

how you ll cool it? with a/c?

:0)
bkpduke

Activity: 158

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 03:17:44 AM

So, speculation time, since we have only a little to go on (might be fun, right?).

Anyone else notice that they said a 400GH/s chip?  That's 4X faster than the highest we have seen predicted from any other competitor.

We know nothing about power draw, etc. etc., but this would make possible a multi-TH single mining machine/rig.  If this holds true, IMHO, then this chip would be the first true Gen 3 ASIC out there.  Truly an order of magnitude jump in performance over the competition.

It's exciting to speculate, no? Wink
Loredo

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:22:35 AM

Errr...we're talking millions.
Yes, they are.  But if their chip design firm is to be taken at face value, a chip which provides 400 GH has, without pricing the enabling hardware, an initial retail value of no less than USD 5 to 7 thousand each.

How many do you think they could sell at that price point, even in the autumn post KnC, post bitfury, post Avalon DIY?  Or alternatively, if their business model were to turn inward, what kind of market force could they become with ability to maintain network share at that rate?  Might that potentially be an attractive investment at some terms?  
Loredo

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:47:11 AM

With due respect to your observation, that's not the only way to look at the evolution here. 

First we had entrepreneurs who brought out "least common denominator" chips through trusted youthful and professional relationships and the entre' to manufacturing that brought.  Due to that manufacturing access as much as anything, those teams were based in the PRC.

Then we have seen entrepreneurs who have been able to either design themselves, or enlist the interest and stakes of those who can.  Both of those groups are European based, and their products are a clear step above the first.

Now comes a known, credible theoretician / practitioner who has the ability to engage competent design talent, build a company, and plan an offering a clear step above the second.  Not surprisingly, this team is Silicon Valley based.  There is no faux American nationalism in saying that's where many of the edges of the technology are still the sharpest.

Note that BFL doesn't even fit into this evolution; they are largely an anomaly, more of a sideshow every day, and, barring a spectacular and unlikely turnaround, are well on their way to becoming just a punch line for jokes.

There's still plenty of room of these guys to step on a land mine, but I hope the best for them.
Simon Barber

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:07:09 AM

We know nothing about power draw, etc. etc., but this would make possible a multi-TH single mining machine/rig.  If this holds true, IMHO, then this chip would be the first true Gen 3 ASIC out there.  Truly an order of magnitude jump in performance over the competition.

Energy efficiency in the announcement was 'significantly better than 1 Joule/Gigahash'. That translates to 'significantly less than 400 Watts' for 1 chip running at nominal frequency, returning 400GH/s.

Simon
Simon Barber

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 05:29:39 AM

so one chip will hash at 400gigahash/sec?

how you ll cool it? with a/c?

:0)

Hi Papa,

We will announce the cooling solution in the next few days.

Simon
J35st3r

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 07:40:40 AM

Energy efficiency in the announcement was 'significantly better than 1 Joule/Gigahash'. That translates to 'significantly less than 400 Watts' for 1 chip running at nominal frequency, returning 400GH/s.
Simon

What's the TDP on the package? CPU's are generally limited to around 130W, so is this the case for your device too?

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 07:59:02 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2013, 08:31:49 AM by Bitcoinorama

Living up to your namesake? Try actually reading around the subject. Bitfury's is Polish/Russian and supposedly has the most efficient chip. KnC are Swedish/British and have a more efficient, more powerful chip than any PRC offering. Simon who heads this particular venture is British, with a solid British education...and has potentially the most powerful chip design. Be interested to know the die size and who is financing this, as it will have to be significant if there's not be any pre-order fundraising at anypoint. Not to mention a huge financial risk for any single private entity. At least with pre-orders it's shared risk for a legitimate start-up.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 08:16:27 AM

Good luck man.  If you want us to produce massive volumes of chips  for you let me know.
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 08:30:44 AM

Living up to your namesake? Try actually reading around the subject. Bitfury's is Polish/Russian and supposedly has the most efficient chip. KnC are Swedish/British and have a more efficient, more powerful chip than any PRC offering. Simon who heads this particular venture is British, with a solid British education...and has potentially the most powerful chip design. Be interested to know the die size and who is financing this, as it will have to be significant if there's not be any pre-order fundraising at anypoint. Not to mention a huge financial risk for any single private entity. At least with pre-orders it's shared risk for a legitimate start-up.

you are overthinking my statement and it's not made to bash any companies. i welcome all companies with good products and manners.

ok
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 08:35:37 AM

you are overthinking my statement and it's not made to bash any companies. i welcome all companies with good products and manners.

No that's fine, but ALL of these individuals herald from Europe, yet European capability, knowledge and tech seems to frequently be bashed in these forums. Understand I'm British as well. I also bear no prejudice to anyone from anywhere, but won't accept such an inaccurate, sweeping statement, when all the facts suggest otherwise...

Smart, honest and amicable people can exist anywhere on this planet. They are traits earned through being inquisitive and wanting to learn, whilst upholding values and integrity.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
ASICMining

Activity: 17

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:10:32 PM

How was the NRE funded for this project, or is that the intent of taking pre-orders in 7 days?
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:42:33 PM

This is a statement from Uniquify Inc, one of the world's leading ASIC design firms. They have done the physical design of our chip.

Subscribe to our website for product details as they come out, or hit me up directly with questions.

Cheers,
John Skrodenis
HashFast.com

Just a suggestion: to be taken extra-seriously, why not post a tiny press-release on the Uniquify website?

That'd spare us all the hassle of arguing about whether this is fake or not.

Nothing special, just something along the lines of "We're pleased to announce that we've been given the opportunity of developing a great new product in the exciting field of bitcoin mining". I guess that'd also give extra press for your company. I don't see why you would not want to go public with something like this.

http://www.uniquify.com/category/press-releases/

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:59:28 PM

I sent an email to Uniquify (info@) today, asking if Mr. Bob Smith can confirm the letter in the OP.

I just received the answer that he does indeed confirm authorship.

So, most likely, NOT scam.  Smiley

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:25:54 PM

Interesting, but if I reach for my nearest pair of skepticals and put them on...

Tape out to fab in 30ish days on 28nm??? - Nice dream unless the fab was booked 5 months ago.

As others said, it better damn well be VERY significantly under 1J/Gh if you ever expect to cool it or have it stay soldered to a board, I'm spitballing 200W as the highest practical limit for a single chip in a mass production item here... and even then it's gonna be a bitch.

400GH... *mentally divides by half* so you'll probably eventually be shipping them at about 200GH for 150W then?

But the question will be, "How low can you go?" $5 a Gh or less? it's gonna be a real cut-throat market in the fall.

Don't get me wrong though, if you get anywhere near this, like a 1 Terahash machine @ 750W or under for under $5000, then I'll be ordering... but there's been people passing out all over round here from holding their breath for ASIC manufacturers to meet initially promised specs and delivery dates.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Loredo

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 03:58:35 PM

I sent an email to Uniquify (info@) today, asking if Mr. Bob Smith can confirm the letter in the OP.

I just received the answer that he does indeed confirm authorship.

So, most likely, NOT scam.  Smiley
While it's well worth it to check everything as a matter of course, it's not too likely that a principal who has produced widely read, well-cited research would forge a letter and put that forgery out on the internet.
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 04:19:48 PM

How low can you go on the power consumption and $/GH?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 586 »
  Print  

Jump to: