Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:00:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Comparison of Marijuana-themed Coins  (Read 758 times)
terible.hunter

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

Bitfresh - iGaming with 90s UI

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 06:10:11 PM

I have a very negative attitude towards drugs, of any kind to light or heavy, so I'm completely against marijuana being associated with crypto currency, of course to someone it seems wrong, but I think that's right and that's my right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
t3hpwnographer (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 04:40:07 PM

I have a very negative attitude towards drugs, of any kind to light or heavy, so I'm completely against marijuana being associated with crypto currency, of course to someone it seems wrong, but I think that's right and that's my right.
Whenever someone says this I like to ask how you feel about other coins that have been adopted as forms of payment for illicit substances such as Dash, Monero, or Bitcoin itself. Does it bother you that these coins are used for things you have negative feelings toward, or is it just the theme that directly connects the coins listed here? Of course you are entitled to your own opinion, I'm just interested in hearing the reasoning behind it.
adelaisav

Activity: 462
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:25:31 PM

As far back as the beginning of digital forms of cash, there have dependably been ties with "hazy gray areas'', for example, delicate medications like drugs and betting.  Occasionally we see another altcoins that related into some kind of topic
HartleyDrake

Activity: 132
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 08:50:24 PM

With marijuana popping up in the news so often and California's recent legalization, there have been a few big spikes in almost every coin with a weed-related theme. The problem is that not all of these coins actually have ties to the marijuana industry and are just trying to capitalize on the name. I put together this list to help everyone see the difference between each coin. My goal is to help investors make informed decisions backed by facts and real world relationships. For this list I will only be covering coins listed on CoinMarketCap. I'm also not counting "we want to be the top crypto for cannabis" as a tie to the industry, since almost every single coin says that. If I missed something let me know!

Please note that at this point I have had no direct contact with any of the developers regarding the status of their project(s). All of the information in this post is based off of what I could find on their websites and social media accounts. Percentage changes shown below are calculated weekly and are not meant to be viewed as completely up-to-date numbers, they're just there to give a quick idea of a coin's recent performance.

Total Market Cap (16 coins)
$110,380,251  (▼ 30%)

Top 5 Market Cap
1. PotCoin (POT) - $37.9 mil (▲ 6%)
2. HempCoin (THC) - $28.6 mil (▼ 2%)
3. Paragon (PRG) - $16.7 mil (▼ 8%)
4. DopeCoin (DOPE) - $8.7 mil (▲ 5%)
5. Tokes (TKS) - $5.8 mil (new)

(Updated at 17:45 UTC on March 2, 2018)
Most recent weekly update: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2658296.msg31431028#msg31431028

Active Development = Technological updates or business-related advancements have been made by the development team within the past 3 months
Potentially Active Development = No updates or advancements have been made in the past 3 months but there is reason to believe an update may be coming
No Active Development = No updates or advancements have been made in the past 3 months

(Listed in order of release date, oldest -> newest)

Potcoin (POT)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: January 21, 2014
  • Last update: February 8, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Partnered with WeedMD, a Canadian medical marijuana producer. Sent NBA star Dennis Rodman on a promotional "humanitarian mission" to Guam, Japan, and China. Accepted as payment by Grizzly Seed Bank.

DopeCoin (DOPE)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: February 15, 2014
  • Last update: February 11, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Developing Smoke Exchange, an advertising platform for marijuana-related businesses, and Crypto Billings, a payment gateway to allow websites to accept crypto. Also working on being accepted by dispensaries.

HempCoin (THC)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: March 7, 2014
  • Last update: January 26, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Member of the Hemp Industries Association. Developing HempPAY, which appears to be a system for dispensaries to accept THC in-store judging by the graphics they've released.

Cannacoin (CCN)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: March 28, 2014
  • Last update: January 14, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. At one point it appeared they were setting up various web-based uses for their coin, including a smoke shop and a video chatting service. However most of the links found in their ANN thread appear to be dead.

Bongger (BGR)
  • Potentially Active Development (see here)
  • Announced: June 1, 2014
  • Last update: Nothing since release
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. The dev stated that this coin was started to learn more about crypto, the marijuana theme was simply added for taste.

Sativacoin (STV)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: September 21, 2014 (takeover occurred on November 26, 2014, then a new thread was launched on September 24, 2016)
  • Last update: December 26, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Accepted as a payment method on the dev's marijuana-themed clothing site, topshelftoker.com

CannabisCoin (CANN)
  • Potentially Active Development (tweeted on Christmas Eve that updates would be coming soon)
  • Announced: October 19, 2014
  • Last update: June 13, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. Intended to be used at dispensaries where 1 CANN = 1 gram of "Canndy," their own strain of medical marijuana.

HempCoin (HMP)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: June 24, 2015
  • Last update: January 7, 2016
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Appears to be owned by a company that engages in medical marijuana business, Rocky Mountain Ayre Inc. Their idea was that 10 HempCoins = 1 share in their company.

Tokes (TKS - WAVES token)

KushCoin (KUSH)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: January 25, 2017
  • Last update: March 4, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. The roadmap in their ANN states that they intend to partner with seed producers and dispensaries.

BlazerCoin (BLAZR)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: April 4, 2017
  • Last update: April 20, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. Was accepted in a seed sale that was met with mixed experiences.

Cannation (CNNC)
  • No Active Development
  • Announced: April 12, 2017
  • Last update: May 12, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None.

Growers International (GRWI)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: April 21, 2017
  • Last update: January 16, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Sells growing-related items through their website. Intends to offer numerous blockchain tools for legal growers, including seed-to-sale tracking and strain depository. Accepted on Austrian-based head shop Donau Life.

Marijuanacoin (MAR)
  • Not Active Development (might be taken over by community)
  • Announced: May 22, 2017
  • Last update: June 26, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: None. The roadmap in their ANN thread says that in Q4 2017 they were going to start a crowdfunding campaign to fund their own grow facility and come out with merchant tools for dispensaries, but neither one of these updates appear to be in progress.

Paragon (PRG - ETH token)
  • Active Development WARNING: ICO Class Action Lawsuit
  • Announced: August 15, 2017
  • Last update: December 5, 2017
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Claims they will be opening an office building in Los Angeles, California that will rent space to legal cannabis businesses. Rent will only be payable with PRG.

GanjaCoin (MRJA)
  • Active Development
  • Announced: September 2, 2017
  • Last update: February 7, 2018
  • Ties to marijuana industry: Being developed by warehouse growers that say they plan to open their own dispensary (update: they say they will be applying for a license to open a legal marijuana shop in Massachusetts, USA). Also, after paying a $50 fee to become a "VIP," their website states you can exchange 1 GanjaCoin for 1 seed.

On the Radar (Active coins/tokens that have not yet been listed on CoinMarketCap)
GreenMed (GRMD), Perkscoin (PCT), Budbo (BUBO), Agro Tech Farm (ATF) more coming soon...

Current update schedule: Weekly (Friday)

Like my work? Want more frequent updates? Want me to do another comparison thread for a different theme?
Donate BTC here: 1KnN9eSFPRfXs515JhCqWGM19prjLx4M3q
Donate ETH/ERC20 here: 0x01C4f0955c36A1C5E13B083A592Ae67FAc964e6e
Don't forget to +Merit Grin
great to see you put all the eggs in one basket personally i am thinking of bagging some PRG
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 06:07:36 PM

great to see you put all the eggs in one basket personally i am thinking of bagging some PRG
I'd be interested to hear what makes you want to invest in their project while they are being hit with a lawsuit in America. I'm not saying you shouldn't invest, but the lawsuit just seems like a big glaring mark against them that turns me away (sort of like BitConnect).
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 06:10:11 PM

Weekly Update

Total market cap change: Down 25%

Top 5 changes: Paragon (PRG) moves +1 to #2, HempCoin (THC) moves -1 to #3, CannabisCoin (CANN) moves in to #5, Tokes (TKS) moves out of the top 5

Development changes: None

As Bitcoin continues to waver, alts have not been able to stage a significant recovery and marijuana coins are no exception. A couple of the biggest marijuana coins experienced the bulk of the total loss. Interestingly the only coin in the top 5 that managed to maintain a gain over the past week was Paragon, which is also the token that's being subjected to a lawsuit in america. If anyone reading this took part in the Paragon ICO or has purchased their token recently, I would love to hear your thoughts about how the lawsuit affected your purchase decision (if it affected it at all).

News updates coming later tonight/over the weekend
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 05:15:48 PM

Weekly Update

Total market cap change: Up 3%

Top 5 changes: DopeCoin (DOPE) moves -1 to #5, Tokes (TKS) moves in to #4, CannabisCoin (CANN) moves out of the top 5

Finally back in the green! As of this writing, BTC looks to be starting to rebound after a few days of dropping and dragging all alts down with it. Some of the smaller coins on this list managed to stay steady or post nice gains during the drop, while a couple of the biggest coins continued to fall fairly significantly. Tokes has re-established itself as a top 5 marijuana coin fairly convincingly by launching in to the #4 spot over the past week. Now we'll have to wait and see how each coin continues to perform if BTC's upward trend continues.

I'm behind on updating news, will do my best to get to it ASAP!
contactmike1

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 05:19:59 PM

Well, I expected this thread, and although in my country marijuana and other drugs are prohibited, I realise this potential market and would like to invest in one project. Recently I heard about Budoo, something like that, can't remember that properly, but a point is that they have application. What do you think?
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 08:54:47 PM

Recently I heard about Budoo, something like that, can't remember that properly, but a point is that they have application. What do you think?
You may be referring to Budbo, which I have linked near the bottom of the main post in the "On the Radar" section. Personally I haven't done much research into their project in particular, but based on a quick glance at what they've posted it seems like they're going for the same thing a few of the other more established coins are already doing. DOPE, THC, TKS, and GRWI all have similar features and goals, so it's up to you to decide which team you trust the most.
GrannyC

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:00:08 PM

There are some industries in which I would rather not invest at any price because they represent business that are very dubious and in the fringe of the laws.
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 05:14:15 PM

Weekly Update

Total market cap change: Down 11%

Top 5 changes: DopeCoin (DOPE) moves +1 to #4, Tokes (TKS) moves -1 to #5

The crypto market has seemingly reverted to a bearish trend after some nice steady growth, but that doesn't mean bad news for every marijuana coin. DopeCoin (DOPE) and HempCoin (THC) managed to post gains over the week, and Tokes (TKS) managed to maintain the market position it recently gained. A few of the smallest coins have been heavily affected by BTC's volatility though with some market caps dropping below $100,000. Currently only 2 of the coins out of the 16 listed don't contribute to the total market cap (Bongger and BlazerCoin), but a couple more could be joining them if things don't improve soon.

News and development status will be updated this weekend.
InFinance

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 12:39:13 AM

Dash is an interesting coin to watch for the cannabis industry as well.

Last year Dash partnered with Alt Thirty Six, who provides payment software for marijuana payment processors. Alt Thirty Six has agreements with marijuana dispensary POS providers covering more than 70% of the industry, giving Dash exposure to over 2,200 dispensaries.

Maybe Dash ATMs start popping up inside dispensaries this year??
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2018, 06:04:47 PM

Dash is an interesting coin to watch for the cannabis industry as well.
Yeah I've heard quite a bit about how people think Dash is going to become a favorite of the marijuana industry, though a lot of that seems to come from the illegal drug trade rather than legal cannabis businesses. It's just not on this list because it doesn't have a marijuana theme and doesn't advertise itself as a cryptocurrency for marijuana (it just happens to be a coin that has a lot of features that are attractive to the industry).
MashaVik

Activity: 122

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 06:59:16 PM

To be honest I hate this trend and I think that such kind of projects cast a shadow over the whole crypto market so I just cant support any of them.
I fully support you. No need to mix everything up. Becomes not on itself from such comparisons.
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2018, 02:56:23 PM

Took last week off due to the Easter holiday, all market cap info and top 5 will be updated this coming Friday. In the mean time I've added to the "On the Radar" section and am keeping an eye on some upcoming news from a few of the listed coins!
t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2018, 09:27:38 PM

Alright I've fallen further behind than I'd like, so a huge update will be coming this Friday. Lots of activity and hype leading up to 4/20, a popular date for many of these coins and their users Wink
Dr Charles
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2018, 01:21:31 AM

nice thread Smiley

paramex

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 01:34:05 AM

In my opinion, such projects overshadow the entire crypto market so I can not support any of them. And they promise to make hard for and some small updates like conferences by showing new project partners and new whitepaper.
Dr Charles
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2018, 10:35:42 AM

In my opinion, such projects overshadow the entire crypto market so I can not support any of them. And they promise to make hard for and some small updates like conferences by showing new project partners and new whitepaper.

That doesnt make any sense.

t3hpwnographer (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2018, 02:57:06 PM

That doesnt make any sense.
Apart from the gibberish at the end, it certainly doesn't help that all he did was slightly edit a comment from the first page  Wink

But to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was trying to articulate an opinion rather than spamming to get his post count up... A lot of the comments left here seem to express negative feelings towards cryptocurrencies with a "drug" theme despite their intention to work with legal businesses, though not one of them has been able to respond to me asking why they're ok with supporting Bitcoin or other coins that have been adopted heavily by the illegal substance market (and don't get me started on all the worthless money grabbing scam tokens that they push without batting an eye). Also I doubt a lot of these people would feel the same if they had followed a tip from some high profile shill like McAfee and ended up holding big bags of these MMJ coins.

Anyway... Weekly updates will resume in ~2 hours and lots of news/development statuses will be updated tonight.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: