Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:54:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 120 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy New Years! Seventh alt coin thread!  (Read 34142 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (4 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
ATCkit

Activity: 786
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:41:42 PM

Guys, would like your opinion on the following please.

I'm going to help two work colleagues set up their first respective mining rigs next week (both identical 6x1080).
I'm struggling on what to set them up to mine, basically. As they have very little knowledge of the whole mining experience, the logical thing would be to get them an account on Nicehash and forget about it.

Unfortunately I don't like that option for 3 reasons:
- NH is taking massive fees
- They'd have to setup an account because mining to external addresses would just take ages for them to see their gains
- NH is not my friend anymore, generally, for well-known reasons

I could set them up with DSTM and mine ZEC, but they'd potentially be forfeiting 30-40% of potential earnings.

What do you reckon? Zpool equihash hub? Ahashpool Neoscrypt hub?

If it were me, I'd set them up on Mining pool hub (MPH) to mine equihash.

Why?
1. MPH has low fees.
2. You can set auto exchange to any coin you want for your pay out. You can change this to a different coin anytime.
4. The auto exchange is convenient and costs very little.
3. You can check the dashboard, individual workers and especially graphs for the coins it's been mining to see how your rigs perform over time.

I'd use DSTM on SMOS and a setting like this:

--server us-east.equihash-hub.miningpoolhub.com --user username.workername --pass x --port 17023

or

alternatively, they can check whattomine and manually switch from one equihash coin to another by simply changing the last two digits of this :

--server us-east.equihash-hub.miningpoolhub.com --user username.workername --pass x --port 20575

The second option is what I do because I find auto switching on any pool and any algo causes too much hash rate loss. I tested autoswithcing on multiple pools.

Most of the time, I'm mining on 20575 which is ZCL as it's the most profitable lately.

dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:47:09 PM

I'm going to help two work colleagues set up their first respective mining rigs next week (both identical 6x1080).
I'm struggling on what to set them up to mine, basically. As they have very little knowledge of the whole mining experience, the logical thing would be to get them an account on Nicehash and forget about it.

- They'd have to setup an account because mining to external addresses would just take ages for them to see their gains

I could set them up with DSTM and mine ZEC, but they'd potentially be forfeiting 30-40% of potential earnings.

Why dont you mine direct to pools like nanapool -- send them to Bittrex and set the auto-sell on to convert to BTC automatically (or turn it off, and sell it when price is right).

NH do have steep charges for payouts but that's the price to pay to get BTC upfront and cut thru all the confirmation etc etc. NH is afterall a buyer/seller marketplace ... sometimes they will be very high payrates for certain hot coins etc. NH is not a mining pool....

No, NH isn't a mining pool per se. And I am likely going to avoid it.
Nanopool to Bittrex isn't a bad idea. What would you mine there?
Currently I'm leaning towards auto-switching algo on zpool or ahashpool (EDIT: or Miningpoolhub indeed).
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:49:34 PM

I still think the logical thing to do would be to start them on Nicehash.  Obviously you know that mining a specific coin isn't exactly set it and forget it.  Price could crash, difficulty could skyrocket, etc.  At least this way they could get an idea how different miners work and how different miners are better for certain coins.  If you are new, Nicehash is a great learning tool.  My advice probably wouldn't be the same if the person was starting with 1 or 2 cards, but 6 1080s seems like a big investment for knowing little to nothing.
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:52:03 PM

I still think the logical thing to do would be to start them on Nicehash.  Obviously you know that mining a specific coin isn't exactly set it and forget it.  Price could crash, difficulty could skyrocket, etc.  At least this way they could get an idea how different miners work and how different miners are better for certain coins.  If you are new, Nicehash is a great learning tool.  My advice probably wouldn't be the same if the person was starting with 1 or 2 cards, but 6 1080s seems like a big investment for knowing little to nothing.

Or I guess if you are deadset against Nicehash, I would consider using this:  https://github.com/Sniffdog/Sniffdogminer/releases   Its designed for 1080tis but I think its great for 1080s too
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:55:22 PM

Why dont you mine direct to pools like nanapool -- send them to Bittrex and set the auto-sell on to convert to BTC automatically (or turn it off, and sell it when price is right).

NH do have steep charges for payouts but that's the price to pay to get BTC upfront and cut thru all the confirmation etc etc. NH is afterall a buyer/seller marketplace ... sometimes they will be very high payrates for certain hot coins etc. NH is not a mining pool....

Currently I'm leaning towards auto-switching algo on zpool or ahashpool (EDIT: or Miningpoolhub indeed).

During the NH hack downtime, MPH is a good alternative (although their mining interface needs work).

No further comment on zpool and ahashpool - tried them both didn't like the results so I went to MPH.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
R0mi

Activity: 305
Merit: 148

Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:56:48 PM

What woold be the disadvantage in mining zcash on flypool and using smos. That would be very simple setup and when they decide they want to mine other equihash stuff they can ?

I agree.  Dead simple, rock solid.  Explore options in the meantime.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
R0mi

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 04:02:20 PM

Hey guys sorry I've been so MIA lately T_T been trying to adjust after having my life/schedule flipped around last month (not a pity post, but seriously I miss being more active in this thread)

On a positive note I'm kind of impressed with the numbers the 1050 TI's put out for being old tech on equihash wi/ DSTM miner, these ASUS pulled ~190 sols @ 60 watts

I'm one of the many rooting for Tails!

The GTX 1050 Ti was my first mining GPU - because it was what was installed in my main desktop when I started. It didn't take me long to figure out that Equihash (and Neoscrypt - 460 H/s) are its strong points*. In fact, the Equihash performance - combined with not needing external PCIe power - makes it almost compelling. I would still be using it for Equihash except the fan went bad - new one on its way from China - and I have since bought an RX 570, (4) GTX 1060 3GB (chosen mainly because of availability), and a used GTX 1080 from a local store for the low-low price of MSRP...  Roll Eyes - Yes, I know Ethash is especially bad on the plain 1080, but it is an Equihash and Neoscrypt monster (it's churning out >1k H/s on the latter right now with just +300 on the memory clock).

* - Cryptonight performance, however, is especially terrible at around 385 H/s - my Ryzen 5 1600 is faster - while I could only manage about 13.4 MH/s with Ethash despite that this card has Samsung memory.

1050 Ti is nice if you are doing a 4U build and have one cramped slot, or simply want to place on the motherboard and space out your other cards up front.

Walton Chain CEO Mo' Bling: "Walton Chain will be the Qualcomm + Cisco in the blockchain industry, the ‘Google’ of the Blockchain."  It's December 1999, do you know how your shitcoin holdings are doing?  Magic 8 ball market analysis: www.doiownashitcoin.com
R0mi

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 04:03:53 PM

A little off-topic, but has anyone tried out HiveOS?  The unified pool/wallet template looks confusing at first, but the YouTube videos explain it.  Very flexible, up to date on new miners.  Just wondering how stable it is vs. SMOS.

rs1x

Activity: 284
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 04:16:05 PM

@cintronick - Help me understand how to choose a pool, please.  You mention Nannopool, but for some silly reason I chose Flypool.

Is it generally better to look for pools that have LESS or MORE workers?
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 04:46:08 PM

@cintronick - Help me understand how to choose a pool, please.  You mention Nannopool, but for some silly reason I chose Flypool.

I use Nanopool for XMR and ZEC if I want to mine direct -- otherwise the farm will sell hash at NH.

Nanopool is quite good because its has global nodes and can select nodes closest to my rigs.

So far so good... and the interface and reporting is quite accurate too.

I am sure Flypool is ok too - tried it once but I didn't stay long -- maybe they were too new at that time.

Definitely go for pools that has MORE workers -- its sad to see good pools struggling to get blocks.

Need to maximize your hash power, so a good pool needs awesome pool hashpower and plenty of blocks.

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
bubbAJoe

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 05:22:40 PM

Hi, thanks a lot for your previous help.
Do you know if this case 4W-6O (waikey/ENFOLD - 4U 6 GPU Mining Rig Case for Onda D1800-BTC Motherboard)  is available somewhere in Europe?

https://s14.postimg.org/5zbugqoe9/4_U-6-_GPU-_Mining-_Rig-_Case-for-_Onda-_D1800-_BTC-_Motherboard-1-1.jpg

Cheers W_M

I don't even know if that site is legit.  The phone numbers listed are fake....
xleejohnx

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 06:34:47 PM

I use Nanopool for XMR and ZEC if I want to mine direct -- otherwise the farm will sell hash at NH.

Nanopool is quite good because its has global nodes and can select nodes closest to my rigs.

So far so good... and the interface and reporting is quite accurate too.

I am sure Flypool is ok too - tried it once but I didn't stay long -- maybe they were too new at that time.

Definitely go for pools that has MORE workers -- its sad to see good pools struggling to get blocks.

Need to maximize your hash power, so a good pool needs awesome pool hashpower and plenty of blocks.

Flypool and ethermine have been around awhile and they have been stable reliable
I want to go back to nicehash but mining ethereum directly right now is nice for me

As I see a super coin as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions. ~philipma1957
MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 06:38:15 PM

Well, no thanks to you slackers I can now answer my own question from earlier - the board is, indeed, a diminutive 195mm x 374mm. Surprisingly small, really. The PCIe slots are spaced 50mm apart so cooling of big cards with "impingement cooling"* might be challenged, if not marginal; cards with blowers should fare better.

One other pertinent bit of info for those interested in getting a head-start on building a rack for this board is that it has (Cool total 4.0mm ID** mounting holes with the four on the top of the board spaced, from left to right, at 155mm between the 1st and 2nd holes, then 100mm between each of the others. Along the bottom of the board things are a little different. The spacing between holes going from left to right is the same as the upper row, but spacing between the top and bottom rows is 132mm for the 1st hole and 155mm for the rest.

* - the technical term for a fan blowing air directly against a heatsink, rather than across it.
** -  #6 or 6-32 for us Muricans
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:20:32 PM

HWInfo says my Ryzen 5 1600 draws an extra 52W while mining Cryptonight at ~400 H/s, while the TDP of the 1050 Ti is 75W, so the Ryzen wins in the hashes/W department as well.

But my point was more that the 1050 Ti really excels at Equihash so why use it on an algo it's only mediocre at like Cryptonight or Ethash?

I doubt that the 1050 ti uses the full 75 watts when mining Cryptonight - the 750 ti certainly didn't, it used more like 30-40 watts out of IT'S 75 watt TDP.

But I do agree crunch the numbers on all (or at least most of the common) algorithms for a GPU before deciding if it's good, bad, or indifferent and WHAT to mine with it.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:26:25 PM

ZEC via Flypool has generally been close to Nicehash on earnings, also close to ZCL (but I don't know how well the pools for that coin work), and is a lot more widely traded than most of the "higher profit" coins that pop up briefly above it on profitablty.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 09:32:30 PM

Well, no thanks to you slackers I can now answer my own question from earlier - the board is, indeed, a diminutive 195mm x 374mm. Surprisingly small, really. The PCIe slots are spaced 50mm apart so cooling of big cards with "impingement cooling"* might be challenged, if not marginal; cards with blowers should fare better.

That is narrower than the Aoris 1080 ti - forget trying to use a "2.5" or "3 slot" card in that motherboard AT ALL except in the one "end" slot, or on an "every other slot" basis.

It's very close to, or is the same, as standard "every other slot" spacing on common motherboards - even standard 2-slot wide blower cards are going to be airflow challenged.

MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 10:42:52 PM

A two-fer.

I doubt that the 1050 ti uses the full 75 watts when mining Cryptonight - the 750 ti certainly didn't, it used more like 30-40 watts out of IT'S 75 watt TDP.

Yes, good point. Unfortunately, the 1050 Ti doesn't seem to report power use figures like its bigger brethren (or, at least, my Zotac mini doesn't), so the only way to tell is by looking at the difference in wattage of the whole system when mining vs. not mining, and that tends to bounce around by 20W or so anyway.

That is narrower than the Aoris 1080 ti - forget trying to use a "2.5" or "3 slot" card in that motherboard AT ALL except in the one "end" slot, or on an "every other slot" basis.

It's very close to, or is the same, as standard "every other slot" spacing on common motherboards - even standard 2-slot wide blower cards are going to be airflow challenged.

Yet another good point - I just checked the spacing of another mobo that has 2 GTX 1060 in it - and which need an external fan blowing on them to keep temps under 65C - and the spacing is 6cm... Well, one can always use a bigger fan, I suppose.

Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 10:49:29 PM

A two-fer.

Yes, good point. Unfortunately, the 1050 Ti doesn't seem to report power use figures like its bigger brethren (or, at least, my Zotac mini doesn't), so the only way to tell is by looking at the difference in wattage of the whole system when mining vs. not mining, and that tends to bounce around by 20W or so anyway.

Yet another good point - I just checked the spacing of another mobo that has 2 GTX 1060 in it - and which need an external fan blowing on them to keep temps under 65C - and the spacing is 6cm... Well, one can always use a bigger fan, I suppose.

most open air builds have fans pulling air away from the gpus
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 04:30:01 AM

Question for you AMD Gurus out there - I've never owned one, just always went with the newest i7's for my desktops -

I upgraded my trading computer to a Ryzen 7 with an ASRock X370 Killer. Threw in 2 watercooled 1080 Ti's in it that's it.

So I go and run XMR stack, and it's showing hash for AMD card along with the CPU's... wtf?? I have no idea why this is if anyone can let me know how this is even possible that would be awesome. It's also valid on the pool side as well, since I was thinking maybe it's just glitching out on my local side.

Anyways, not complaining, just saying it's kind of crazy. It can't be the 1080 Ti's since I have the cuda backend deleted as well.
philipma1957 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4130
Merit: 7912

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2018, 05:14:51 AM

Question for you AMD Gurus out there - I've never owned one, just always went with the newest i7's for my desktops -

I upgraded my trading computer to a Ryzen 7 with an ASRock X370 Killer. Threw in 2 watercooled 1080 Ti's in it that's it.

So I go and run XMR stack, and it's showing hash for AMD card along with the CPU's... wtf?? I have no idea why this is if anyone can let me know how this is even possible that would be awesome. It's also valid on the pool side as well, since I was thinking maybe it's just glitching out on my local side.

Anyways, not complaining, just saying it's kind of crazy. It can't be the 1080 Ti's since I have the cuda backend deleted as well.

normal  it will do that.

I know some ways around it.

load nicehash amd legacy

mine the cpu to crypto night and do not check the gpu's

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 120 »
  Print  

Jump to: