Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:13:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230750 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:01:29 PM

iCEBREAKER.  I own 100 TH of hashfast hardware and its running at approx 65TH for most of the time, a significant reduction of its promised performance.    And the ones they made in the lab to demo don't count as they were hand built by experts and choice parts were used.   I have real ones, and they don't perform that well.  and since the company doesn't exist i can't rma the slow ones and have them fixed.  Mine are professionally hosted by LiquidBits and Netsolus.

And what is the expected vs actual hashrate for your CT gear, if you don't mind my asking?

My handful of Sierras all work at slightly over to well over spec speedwise (I don't monitor power use and they're overclocked to just under the edge of stability). 

Including RMA candidates in your larger sample skews the data.  Sorry you can't RMA them, that sucks!

If you want me to possibly fix and optimize/host your dead/slow units, I have free power and plenty of space.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kkurtmann

Activity: 475
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 02:18:30 AM

how much to host the 2400watt CT machine?

https://www.buytrezor.com?a=55c37b866c11   well sir, I like it!
bitndx

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 12:28:11 PM

netsolus has it for $420 I think...pretty easy to call any colo place though these days
DustyRah

Activity: 530
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:13:35 PM

netsolus has it for $420 I think...pretty easy to call any colo place though these days

$420 a month seems to be quite a lot though.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:03:13 PM

Works out to roughly $0.24 per kWh, which is fairly expensive even with all management / hosting fees included.

jowaybea

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:14:00 PM

So, for curiosity's sake, I was checking out cointerra.com and their cloud hosting prices.  I don't see why you would use them instead of cex.io.  It's $40K for 10TH for 12 months from Cointerra, or you can buy any number of GH at $2.75/GH from cex.io.  That would be  $27,500 for 10TH that you own forever, right?  

I only know what I can easily read on the two websites, I've never done any cloud mining, so someone please correct me if I'm missing something here.  Is that not how cex.io GH trading works?

Even the top level 1PH 12 month contract from CoinTerra is $3M, which is still $3/GH for only 12 months.  

However, neither really look like a great deal, as (by my calculations here: http://www.vnbitcoin.org/bitcoincalculator.php ) to break even in 12 months, the difficulty increment must average below 6.2% for cex.io, and 5.3% for the 1PH CoinTerra contract.

That seems a pretty big gamble to me.  Am I missing anything?
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:50:13 PM

The only thing you might be missing is the fact, that in cloud mining there is only ROI for the service provider.
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 07:28:30 PM

So, for curiosity's sake, I was checking out cointerra.com and their cloud hosting prices.  I don't see why you would use them instead of cex.io.  It's $40K for 10TH for 12 months from Cointerra, or you can buy any number of GH at $2.75/GH from cex.io.  That would be  $27,500 for 10TH that you own forever, right?  

I only know what I can easily read on the two websites, I've never done any cloud mining, so someone please correct me if I'm missing something here.  Is that not how cex.io GH trading works?

Even the top level 1PH 12 month contract from CoinTerra is $3M, which is still $3/GH for only 12 months.  

However, neither really look like a great deal, as (by my calculations here: http://www.vnbitcoin.org/bitcoincalculator.php ) to break even in 12 months, the difficulty increment must average below 6.2% for cex.io, and 5.3% for the 1PH CoinTerra contract.

The comparison isn't valid as stated.

Cex.io charges a monthly hosting fee on top of the purchase of the mining contract whereas cointerras charge includes a year of hosting I believe.

bitndx

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:14:46 PM

well that's a provider pricing it by the box. There are ways to reduce that cost 

jowaybea

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:59:14 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2014, 09:53:31 PM by jowaybea

The comparison isn't valid as stated.

Cex.io charges a monthly hosting fee on top of the purchase of the mining contract whereas cointerras charge includes a year of hosting I believe.

Aah, thank you!  The hidden maintenance fee's!  Feel's like I'm shopping for vacation time shares.  So after further hunting around cex.io, I FINALLY found the maintenance fee.

https://cex.io/maintenance

Holy Moley!  $0.18 per GH per Month!  That's $2.16M per year for a PH, in maintenance fee's alone.  And assuming the maintenance fee doesn't change, as it looks like it floats.  Though I have no idea if it would go up or down over time.  You'd certainly hope down.  Regardless, the difficulty would have to drop for that to pay for itself.  Talk about a tax on people who are bad at math.  

I think Barnum's law has truly met Moore's law.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 01:36:07 AM

iCEBREAKER.  I own 100 TH of hashfast hardware and its running at approx 65TH for most of the time, a significant reduction of its promised performance.    And the ones they made in the lab to demo don't count as they were hand built by experts and choice parts were used.   I have real ones, and they don't perform that well.  and since the company doesn't exist i can't rma the slow ones and have them fixed.  Mine are professionally hosted by LiquidBits and Netsolus.
And what is the expected vs actual hashrate for your CT gear, if you don't mind my asking?
My handful of Sierras all work at slightly over to well over spec speedwise (I don't monitor power use and they're overclocked to just under the edge of stability).  
Including RMA candidates in your larger sample skews the data.  Sorry you can't RMA them, that sucks!
If you want me to possibly fix and optimize/host your dead/slow units, I have free power and plenty of space.
Really Ralph?
Why are you posting on all of these threads again? I was under the impression you traded most if not all of your shares for HashFast gear and were no longer considered an investor in this company.
If HashFast followed the correct queue that would mean you still haven't received anything and should be helping creditors instead of harassing them.
Of course since you worked for HashFasts tech support department maybe the above scenario is different. :|
Someone seems to think that Icebreaker was supposed to be the person helping you get your Hashfast gear running.   That is kind of ironic isn't it?

aerobatic

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 01:31:10 PM

Including RMA candidates in your larger sample skews the data.  Sorry you can't RMA them, that sucks!

thanks for the offer.. that may actually be worthwhile as 40% of my systems arent working.. where are you based?   we should take this to PM ..

-- Jez
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 03:46:12 PM

free power, sure.
bitndx

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 12:52:56 PM

Someone seems to think that Icebreaker was supposed to be the person helping you get your Hashfast gear running.   That is kind of ironic isn't it?

That is the rub isn't it in this scam market?  Queues are not honored and a persistent perception that these companies are lapping up your ROI.

Do these companies really want you to succeed and be a competitor to their own mine that you helped fund the creation of? Where was the equipment for their private mine in the queue?

aerobatic

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:05:04 PM

That is the rub isn't it in this scam market?  Queues are not honored and a persistent perception that these companies are lapping up your ROI.

Do these companies really want you to succeed and be a competitor to their own mine that you helped fund the creation of? Where was the equipment for their private mine in the queue?

i know icebreaker was involved in repairing and getting running some hashfast systems.  and i have a whole bunch of hashfast systems that aren't running.  and since the company has disappeared and is not honouring rma's... it makes perfect sense that i discuss with him his ability to repair my non-functioning hashfast systems.

if you're talking about icedrill, they were the very first customer of hashfast and as far as i am aware, they received all of their systems.  they were in batch 1.  so was i in batch 1, and i got all of my systems too.  so did some others that where in that batch.  alas, the build quality was low and only 65% of my systems are working to spec (most of the 45% are running slow or not running at all).   btw, i also ordered a retail miner, for fun to mine at home.. and this was a baby jet ordered through their web store.. and i received that too.  and its still running.. but at a friend's basement (too noisy for me to run in my open plan home).

-- Jez
bitndx

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 01:56:49 PM

i know icebreaker was involved in repairing and getting running some hashfast systems.  and i have a whole bunch of hashfast systems that aren't running.  and since the company has disappeared and is not honouring rma's... it makes perfect sense that i discuss with him his ability to repair my non-functioning hashfast systems.

-- Jez
Hi Jez, I don't know IceB and don't have enough history here to judge, but agree that that it makes sense to get expert help as I am trying to optimize 30 HF boards myself.
On the flip side my CT boxes run fairly well by comparison. We met briefly at the conference in Austin and I saw recently you are now in an advisory role for CT, Congrats!

After coming into this industry from working over 20 yrs in technology infrastructure in the financial industry and dealing with technology vendors of all sizes, I know when I am being fed BS. I have interacted with most of the companies in this space at some level by now and read their actual words on these forums and I can say that this industry needs to improve ethics and trust across the board.

Sean
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 02:21:37 PM

-- Jez
Hi Jez, I don't know IceB and don't have enough history here to judge, but agree that that it makes sense to get expert help as I am trying to optimize 30 HF boards myself.
On the flip side my CT boxes run fairly well by comparison. We met briefly at the conference in Austin and I saw recently you are now in an advisory role for CT, Congrats!

After coming into this industry from working over 20 yrs in technology infrastructure in the financial industry and dealing with technology vendors of all sizes, I know when I am being fed BS. I have interacted with most of the companies in this space at some level by now and read their actual words on these forums and I can say that this industry needs to improve ethics and trust across the board.

Sean
We are running CTs and they are stable.   They like it cold though (including through that side fan that cools the power supply).   We have had great support from timo and his crew.   Each new firmware seemed to help.    KNC and Spondoolies also run very steady in a racked environment.   

bitndx

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 03:14:54 PM

We are running CTs and they are stable.   They like it cold though (including through that side fan that cools the power supply).   We have had great support from timo and his crew.   Each new firmware seemed to help.    KNC and Spondoolies also run very steady in a racked environment.   

agree about the CTs liking the cold!  I haven't bought enough from CT to rank that level of support from Timo I guess Smiley...haven't needed much though either.  I have not had a great sales experience with CT which is disappointing given Ravi's background in mature corporate environments.

Do they really expect someone to just hit the buy button for 525 chips or 50 boxes without even a conversation?   
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 07:55:34 PM

agree about the CTs liking the cold!  I haven't bought enough from CT to rank that level of support from Timo I guess Smiley...haven't needed much though aher.  I have not had a great sales experience with CT which is disappointing given Ravi's background in mature corporate environments.
Do they really expect someone to just hit the buy button for 525 chips or 50 boxes without even a conversation?   
If you are willing to pay their current prices for miners, you should have bought some of the ones we sold at a much better price.
We offereed 100 for sale and sold in pieces as small as 5.

bitndx

View Profile
August 04, 2014, 11:55:18 PM

agree about the CTs liking the cold!  I haven't bought enough from CT to rank that level of support from Timo I guess Smiley...haven't needed much though aher.  I have not had a great sales experience with CT which is disappointing given Ravi's background in mature corporate environments.
If you are willing to pay their current prices for miners, you should have bought some of the ones we sold at a much better price.
We offereed 100 for sale and sold in pieces as small as 5.

well I didn't say I would pay that ala carte price nor am I interested in the 1.6 at the current website price. I am interested in the revised boards Smiley I would be happy to learn who "we" is and see if there are opportunities to do business. pm me.
Pages: « 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: