Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:12:13 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast launches sales of the Baby Jet  (Read 119560 times)
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:05:02 PM

...is either just *one* of the dies, yet to be mounted on the substrate, or Huh

*This is a serious, non-trolly question, i take geekly pride in being able to figure out just what i'm looking at. If someone could explain, i'm all ears.

That is a good question.  It looks like a complete package (die, heatspreader, substrate).  Some more and better photos will tell help though.  Photo of die/chip/package from the side and from the bottom would be nice.

agreed, it doesn't look like a die.  its not a great photo.  but if it isn't a die.. AND it has writing on it.. so its most likely a package - perhaps a prototype one thats not all shiny and new.. it doesn't look like a package I've seen before.  Doesn't mean it isn't though.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:15:28 PM

Well it does look like plenty of packages I have seen just not one designed for high electrical/thermal output.

For example Bitfury chip. 

Avalon chip:

The lid is plastic but it is low wattage and the heat is conducted through the bottom of the chip to the PCB grounplane (and optionally to heatsink on opposite side of baord).

These photos (and granted they are really bad blurry photos with no angle view or size reference) look like a plastic package which simply can't be right not for 200W+.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:26:24 PM

@D&T:  Since Hashfast product is water-cooled, and the pics provided (the renderings, again) show waterblocks on top of the pc board, i sort-a would guess that the chip is not sitting on the flip side of the board, with the waterblock butted up against thermal vias.  That simply isn't a good way to dissipate 300+W (so we agree).  So plastic package is definetly out.  The reason i thought it might be a die is they used the same marble texture for their early chip renders (err... Intel pics).  Check it out.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:27:17 PM

I had two questions when i first saw that image. The first one has to do with dimensions, judging from the font size it doesn't looks any bigger than the BF chips, and while that certainly doesn't make any sense if it was a 400GH chip, it could make sense if it was only 1/4th of it.

The second question is about the green-ish color. It's not only in the background, but also in the font color. That doesn't make any sense to me. I have yet to find an explanation for it. The thing looks like to have a depth of a few mm (1-2), and the shadows seems like to be pins.

The last interesting detail is the graze on the top of the thing. I don't think that plastic would result in that kind of graze/slither/craw.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:36:55 PM

Just received directly from John. It's still hot  Cheesy

Boards should come this next week, so lets hope we see a Babyjet running soon  Wink

Looks like a screenprint stencil? Is it?

Am I understanding that back on or before Nov 15 they showed that pic with the CEO holding the "chips" and now on Dec 2nd there is still only one shitty picture (submitted by a forum member and not HF) of the actual chip and not the box they were shipped in?

Is there a legit reason not to show pictures of their sexy Golden Nonces chips?  Why two plus weeks and not a slew of marketing shots??
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:47:36 PM

@D&T:  Since Hashfast product is water-cooled, and the pics provided (the renderings, again) show waterblocks on top of the pc board, i sort-a would guess that the chip is not sitting on the flip side of the board, with the waterblock butted up against thermal vias.  That simply isn't a good way to dissipate 300+W (so we agree).  So plastic package is definetly out.  The reason i thought it might be a die is they used the same marble texture for their early chip renders (err... Intel pics).  Check it out.

Agreed.  It would make no sense for it to be a plastic flip chip and I don't think it is.  Just pointing out the chip photo is really low quality and hard to get any details but it is not what I would expect.  It looks very much like a PBGA flip chip designed for low wattage applications not a 4 die, giant 200W+ monster package with integrated heatspread and metal package lid for attaching a waterblock. 

For the later I would expect something which looks like this:
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1297821/15922456/0/1286866175.jpg

or this:
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Intel-s-Upcoming-Core-i7-Mobile-CPU-to-Top-Out-at-1096-2.jpg

Simple version:  it is weird.  Hopefully they can take a couple of more photos from different angles, and maybe put the camera in macro mode.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 10:49:19 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2013, 01:41:08 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Hmm when looking for photos I ran into some old CPU before they started covering everything up with the integrated heat spreaders (metal lid).

Ignore the rest of the photo and just take a look at the dark colored ceramic bonded die in the center.  Looks kinda similar to HF horrible photos.  So based on that I the photo is just of a single die without substrate and heatspreader attached.  So 4 of those sitting on substrate and covered with metal lid would be the final "chip".
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 11:22:51 PM

Hmm when looking for photos I ran into some old CPU before they started using integrated heat spreaders.

Looks kinda similar so I guess it is just the partially package die without substrate and package lid.  So 4 of those sitting on substrate and covered with metal lid would be the final "chip".

So based on this, we'll be able to use the pencil trick to unlock our Golden Nonces?  Awesome!   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:09:26 AM

are you guys low on oxygen?  that 'chip' is just a piece of felt with stencil cutout.  Can't you see the black fibers inside the cutouts?

didn't the green background give it away as well?

they don't have anything except your money

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 05:19:50 AM

If I had to guess, I would say that it is one of the dies and is laser etched in the silicon as was previously mentioned.
The weird hue is most likely because they aren't taking a picture of the die, they're taking a picture of an LCD monitor showing the die under a microscope. It's not uncommon to get weird color doing that depending on your camera and light source.

Still, it's the end of December 2nd and all they have is a poor shot of a die that may or may not work.
HashFast_CL

Activity: 168

HashFast Community Liaison

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 03:50:12 AM

HashFast's Golden Nonce One is officially hashing!

https://twitter.com/HashFast/status/408019389158420480

Follow us on Twitter for all the latest exciting news!

"Bitcoin enables ordinary people to fight back, to avoid and evade snooping governments, which enact, use and abuse laws that allow them, without due process, to investigate, tax, control and seize privately owned assets."  -   Leon Louw

“We can say without equivocation that firms like MasterCard, Visa and the TBTF banks like JPMorgan and Goldman hate the idea of ever having to compete for business again. They have grown comfortable in their corrupt world of writing laws for themselves without any regulatory oversight. They enjoy the exorbitant privilege of bilking the American economy with extortionary transaction rates. They are scared of Bitcoin. And they should be. It offers transparency, cost efficiency and anonymity.” - Max Kaiser
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 05:45:15 AM

is this for real?

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
iambaboon

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

bitcoin afficionado

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 09:59:41 AM

yay! congratulations guys!

"Emergencies" have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded. (F. Hayek)
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:07:12 AM

HashFast's Golden Nonce One is officially hashing!

https://twitter.com/HashFast/status/408019389158420480

Follow us on Twitter for all the latest exciting news!

I think there area lot of people here who might require more proud than a twitter post.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 10:43:08 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 11:04:28 AM by Gyrsur

HashFast Production Update

Miner Protection Program
For those of you covered under the Miner Protection Program™ (https://hashfast.com/miner-protection-program/), this delay will not affect the starting point from which benefits are calculated. For First Batch Baby Jets, the start date of the program will be retroactive to October 30th. We want to make sure a delayed ship date does not reduce the value of the program.

- The HashFast Team

https://hashfast.com/miner-protection-program/

Miner Protection Program™
[NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE]

At HashFast, we understand that healthy, prosperous customers make for a healthy and prosperous company. We know that our customers are concerned about the rapid growth of the network hashrate – and we stand by our customers. We designed our silicon so efficiently per square mm, that we are able offer you this protection.

If the Bitcoin network hashrate increases so that your Baby Jet doesn’t generate more Bitcoins in ninety days than you paid for it, HashFast will give you additional ASICs. In fact, we will give you up to 400% more hashing capacity than the Baby Jet you purchased. Yes, that does mean that if you don’t make your money back in 90 days, we will increase your mining capacity to up to 2 Terahashes!

The Miner Protection Program™ was given retroactively to ALL purchases of Batch 1 Baby Jets. For second and third batch machines, the Miner Protection Program™ was offered as an add-on, that customers could purchase for an additional fee. Currently the Miner Protection Program™ is not available for purchase.

Two examples of how it will work:

Example 1 – You buy a Baby Jet from HashFast for 50 BTC and we ship it October 25th. By January 23, your machine has mined 60 BTC. You are happy and the miner protection is not needed.

Example 2 – You buy a Baby Jet for 50 BTC, and we ship it on October 25th.  January 23, 2014 comes and goes, and it turns out that at the Baby Jet’s nominal hashrate, it would only have generated 25 BTC during that 90 day period.  Calculated out, it would have taken an additional 400 Ghash/s of capacity shipped with your Baby Jet on October 25, 2013 to generate 50 BTC. We can’t go back in time to give you that 400Ghash/s. Instead, HashFast will double that and give you 800 Ghash/s in additional capacity. In this example, HashFast will give you two additional Golden Nonce ASICs, each with 400 nominal GHash/s.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I overclock?  Underclock?
We calculate the ROI based on network difficulty adjustments, the estimated hashrate, and what hashrate the average Baby Jet achieves. If, in the example above, you overclock your machine and generated more Bitcoin, it will not affect our calculations.  Likewise, if you underclocked it to save energy costs, it will not affect our calculations.

What if I have to turn off my Baby Jet during a terrible storm?
Again, we do not calculate the ROI for the MPP based on your individual operation of the Baby Jet.   Thus, we don’t need to figure out if you went on vacation, underclocked, or forgot to plug it in for the first month.

What do I do with the ASIC(s) you send me?  They can’t generate Bitcoin while I hold it in my hand, can it?
No, generating Bitcoin while grasping any semiconductor is very unlikely.  You will need a rig that has everything but the HashFast ASIC.  We designed our ASIC with this in mind.  We will sell ASIC-ready rigs, and expect licensed rig manufacturers to also offer ASIC-ready rigs.

What if a super-duper Exa-hash machine shows up?  
The MPP coverage extends to up to 400% of the capacity purchased. For a Baby Jet, with a nominal 400 Ghash/s capacity, the MPP is limited to sending an additional 1.6 Terrahash/s of additional ASIC hashing capacity, for a total of 2 Terahashes!

If BTC value doubles against the dollar, are you still going to give me up to four times my original capacity?
Yes. The entire MPP program is based on BTC, which is a key reason we sell our machines for BTC. The increase in BTC-to-USD exchange rates may mean that you achieve fantastic ROI, even though your Baby Jet doesn’t generate the amount of Bitcoin you paid for it.  We ignore that in our MPP calculations, and will give you additional hashing capacity even though you achieved ROI on a USD basis.

If I didn’t pay in Bitcoin, how do you calculate the purchase price under the MPP and compare it to the amount Bitcoin generated?
If you paid in USD or other fiat currency, HashFast will base the calculations on the BTC to USD (or other currency) exchange rate we gave our customers the day of your purchase.

Limitations
The Miner Protection Program is not a form of insurance, has no cash value, and cannot be sold, licensed or transferred by a customer. Customer will pay and be responsible for all taxes, duties and shipping for ASICs supplied under the Miner Protection Program. Additional ASICs supplied under the Miner Protection Program will be supplied only to the original purchaser, and may only be shipped to the same address as the original purchase. Nothing in the description of the Miner Protection Program should be read as a reliable or binding forecast of network hashrates, difficulty levels or other future events. The HashFast Terms of Sale sent to you (or if not sent to you, then found here: Terms of Sale) apply to the Miner Protection Program. “HashFast” as used above refers to HashFast Technologies LLC. HashFast™, the HashFast logo, Miner Protection Program™, and MPP™ are the trademarks and service marks of HashFast Technologies LLC.

the time span is October 30, 2013 to January 28, 2014. I assume to made back of my paid 49+ BTC just 10 BTC by January 28, 2014 if they will ship in the middle of December 2013. we will receive 4 free 400 GHash/s modules for sure! the question is should they deliver this 4 free 400 GHash/s modules also in the middle of December 2013 as a compensation? because we will not made back 40 BTC if they deliver it as recently as in the middle of February 2014!

HashFast_CL

Activity: 168

HashFast Community Liaison

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 07:31:35 AM

More good news!

"Bitcoin enables ordinary people to fight back, to avoid and evade snooping governments, which enact, use and abuse laws that allow them, without due process, to investigate, tax, control and seize privately owned assets."  -   Leon Louw

“We can say without equivocation that firms like MasterCard, Visa and the TBTF banks like JPMorgan and Goldman hate the idea of ever having to compete for business again. They have grown comfortable in their corrupt world of writing laws for themselves without any regulatory oversight. They enjoy the exorbitant privilege of bilking the American economy with extortionary transaction rates. They are scared of Bitcoin. And they should be. It offers transparency, cost efficiency and anonymity.” - Max Kaiser
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 07:48:31 AM

More good news!

Impressive. Particularly the fact you still dont seem to have a populated PCB to put the chip on, 6 weeks after promised shipment. Not that populating the board is going to be a problem, but even BFL has had that for months now and not having it means you cant have tested the board either. If the only problem was the chip's substrate, why did you not move ahead on all the other fronts?

Why are there only 3 dies on that substrate anyway?
aneutronic

Activity: 175

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:01:26 PM

More good news!

If this was Oct 5 instead of Dec 5 then maybe yes, depending on if there's no major issues.

By the time these get delivered we will have had a higher difficulty % increase from the promised delivery date than the batch 3 avalons did.

I'm not the least bit impressed. Either ship enough modules with the units to break even or refund the BTC spent.
Wesly

Activity: 185

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 04:20:07 PM

More good news!

Impressive. Particularly the fact you still dont seem to have a populated PCB to put the chip on, 6 weeks after promised shipment. Not that populating the board is going to be a problem, but even BFL has had that for months now and not having it means you cant have tested the board either. If the only problem was the chip's substrate, why did you not move ahead on all the other fronts?

Why are there only 3 dies on that substrate anyway?

You brought up a very good point, because KnC was busy testing their PCB using an FPGA chip 5 weeks before they receive their ASIC chips and 6 weeks before they started shipping.

Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:53:21 PM

Even BFL has been floating pictures of several prototype boards for Monarch for many weeks now, and I suspect thats many months before they ship anything.
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 »
  Print  

Jump to: