Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:52:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XPM] Working on a GPU miner for Primecoin, new thread :)  (Read 166549 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ReCat

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 01:43:57 PM

It is about the whole DONATIONS for "its working 200% faster than CPU's "

It was at this point that I "DONATED" ......funny thing was that it was all lies.....

Fine we got ripped....thats fair enouh in BTC land ...but I am going to call it for what it is

He LIED & we got SCAMMED end of story

Lets consider for a moment that those were his legitimate intentions.

Because the money was classified as a donation, you have no right under the law to call him a scammer.

Although, of it was true, I think it would qualify as some kind of grey area donation fraud. Kinda like the KONY 2012 dealio.  I'm no lawyer.

Anyways. This software merely in beta. Why do you expect a beta pre release to work? Even Microsoft releases nonfunctional prices of shit sometimes. Tongue

BTC: 1recatirpHBjR9sxgabB3RDtM6TgntYUW
Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hathmill

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 02:04:45 PM

Not good. Fail obviously means no blocks for you. But, did you get the program to run at all? Any settings to reduce crashes?
These kind of reports only deserve to be ignored. It's like he does not want the issues to be fixed, or does not understand software development at all.

Sockpuppet? No disrespect, just honestly curios.
pgbit

Activity: 771
Merit: 258

Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 02:07:47 PM

Not good. Fail obviously means no blocks for you. But, did you get the program to run at all? Any settings to reduce crashes?
These kind of reports only deserve to be ignored. It's like he does not want the issues to be fixed, or does not understand software development at all.
No, you are wrong, on both counts. I wanted genuinely to find out if he managed to get it running without crashing. It sounds like he did, but just didn't find blocks. I have just found a way around the crashes, and am testing too. Just need to get to test on a few more machines!

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
ilostcoins

Activity: 274

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 02:15:54 PM

Because the money was classified as a donation, you have no right under the law to call him a scammer.

This line of thought has been repeated a lot, but I personally doubt it. I don't think simply calling a payment "donation" necessarily exempt the recipient from responsibilities in law. Obviously, different countries may differ, but usually, laws are written to give less weight to how things are called and more weight to the mechanics of how things are done (so they are less easy to circumvent).

The "donation" was given as a condition for receiving a product. Courts may not see those transfers as gifts with no strings attached. (Not that I'm expecting anyone to waste money in suing him.)

LTC: LSyqwk4YbhBRtkrUy8NRdKXFoUcgVpu8Qb   NVC: 4HtynfYVyRYo6yM8BTAqyNYwqiucfoPqFW   TAG id: 4313
CMC: CAHrzqveVm9UxGm7PZtT4uj6su4suxKzZv   YAC: Y9m5S7M24sdkjdwxnA9GZpPez6k6EqUjUt
ReCat

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 02:30:30 PM

This line of thought has been repeated a lot, but I personally doubt it. I don't think simply calling a payment "donation" necessarily exempt the recipient from responsibilities in law. Obviously, different countries may differ, but usually, laws are written to give less weight to how things are called and more weight to the mechanics of how things are done (so they are less easy to circumvent).

The "donation" was given as a condition for receiving a product. Courts may not see those transfers as gifts with no strings attached. (Not that I'm expecting anyone to waste money in suing him.)
Not sure how they could even sue, when bitcoin isn't even considered a currency by most countries. It's like suing someone on club penguin because you have him some coins to do something he didn't do. Tongue Frivolous.

Anyways, any US lawyers here to lay a more educate opinion on this in regards of the law?

Hold onto what you love with all your might, Because you can never know when - Oh. What you love is now gone.
ivanlabrie

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:10:02 PM

I think this yipyip guy and btc xpress need to shut it... there are people trying to get this to work and they get no valuable answers. Go create your own hate thread please.
ReCat

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2013, 03:13:39 PM

I think this yipyip guy and btc xpress need to shut it... there are people trying to get this to work and they get no valuable answers. Go create your own hate thread please.

Create your own hate thread, like a real man.

Tongue

lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:14:51 PM

A couple of points.

First - this is a first public release piece of beta software; who knows what sort of optimizations will be created now that there is a baseline to work from. The first gen primecoin miner, for instance, while servicable, proved to have abysmal performance - it was only after other developers examined the code that Sonny wrote that they could introduce optimazations. Same could easily be the case here - it's far too early to tell.

Second - from the get-go, there were real questions whether primecoins proof of work would get any benefit from GPU's at all. There was only one way to find out for certain, have someone set up to actually develop one. Had mtrlt not stepped up to the plate, the community would have continued to yearn and clamor for one, even if every mathematician on this forum said it couldn't be done.

He offered zero assurance of the outcome, just offering up his own hopes and suspicions of what the end result could be, and sought out community support to do so. And he did deliver - everyone appears to now be playing with his new software; it's a beta - it's not optimized, and not tested on anything but the hardware he has access to. How can that be a scam?

He did ask for donations and promised early access to the software in exchange. That was to pay for his development time. The flip side could have been, if he had a private GPU farm, that he simply went and developed the software and didn't even whisper a word of its existence. He opted to go the route that would have supported the community had it panned out, which is, frankly, commendable.

Many peoples complaints seem preposterous... Donations were given to fund his development time and only that. He didn't promise to provide 100x or even 10x performance increases, only to work on creating a miner that would run on GPU's. Just because you want to consider your donation a sale doesn't make it so. Lots of organizations accept donations and give back gifts of goods or services as thanks to their donators.

"Hi - i donated to you, but now that i don't have GPU's anymore, I want my donation back".

"Because a different person that donated for early access released the code for everyone else to use, I want my donation back"

"I donated, but because the software doesn't perform according to my hopes, I would like to rescind that donation".

No - you can't rewrite the terms after you've given money and he's delivered his product. If you wanted strings attached and assurances, you should have worked that out with him prior to giving him money, at which point he likely would have demanded quite a bit more compensation because of those strings.
Entz

Activity: 210

I not use any kind of messenger beware of scammers

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:17:10 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2013, 04:14:38 PM by Entz

How long does everyone's miner run before crashing? Playing with the sievesize, it can take up to a minute to crash, but it always does. Anyone care to share stable settings?
The only way I could keep it from crashing was to compile my own. The included exe always seemed to die, not sure why.  No blocks after a 10 hours (never got past 7 chains*) so you are not missing much =/

* Note: The CPU in my GPU rig would normally take 5 days to find a block, so that is likely normal too.

mallory303

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:17:23 PM

What's everyone else running where it actually works without crashing?
Now that's a good idea.
A table of what everyone is running, i.e. hardware, OS, driver version, with their successes or failures.

The results are in from 130 rigs mining for 18 hours
------------------------

...lolz Good thing mrlt is STILL going to school as I dont think he is ready for a real job..unless BFL is more his style

Deliver 10%+ results and take everyones money...he will fit in nicely

OS&Drivers                            |               RESULTS               | HARDWARE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|WIN7 X64 latest stable drivers | Works, confirmed block found | 2xHD5970
| WIN8 X64 latest beta drivers  |   Works, block not found yet   | 1xHD5870
BazkieBumpercar

Activity: 415

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:29:29 PM

Damn, all the hate here.

MTRLT is a proper coder, he never promised the miner would be blazing fast, you guys DONATED, not PAID him...

So either shut the hell up, or code your own GPU miner. What's that you say? You aren't skilled enough to do so? Thought so..

Btw, it works fine on my setup (debian amd64 radeon6850), never crashed. And I'm sure it'll be getting somewhat faster over the next few weeks.
paulthetafy

Activity: 820

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:36:05 PM

The miner works fine, it does exactly what mtrlt said it would.  So really, stop fucking complaining about it, especially if you didn't donate (like I did).  It's based on HP7 code so if/when mtrlt or mikaelh update it to HP10 it will certainly run much quicker than HP10.

Incidentally I have 2 x 7950 and a crappy quad core with code I have compiled myself.  I have also tweaked a few things too (but nothing like the HP10 improvements) and have minded 2 blocks with it in about 20 hours.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 03:59:30 PM

Wow, no wonder some vendors consider this forum to be "toxic".

I don't regret donating.  I didn't expect blazing fast performance in the initial release, or stability, etc.  These things will (hopefully) come in time.

The point of donating was to stimulate development effort, which it seems to have done.  I hope to see development continue.  It would be a shame if all the negativity expressed here discourages further effort.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
igysa

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:14:36 PM

The miner works fine, it does exactly what mtrlt said it would.  So really, stop fucking complaining about it, especially if you didn't donate (like I did).  It's based on HP7 code so if/when mtrlt or mikaelh update it to HP10 it will certainly run much quicker than HP10.

Incidentally I have 2 x 7950 and a crappy quad core with code I have compiled myself.  I have also tweaked a few things too (but nothing like the HP10 improvements) and have minded 2 blocks with it in about 20 hours.

OK good,

some schreenshot of that phenomen ? Wink

how did you setup, GPU doing the test, or ?

BTC 1Hm2qSb1XZ8iAuogEqCBod17KQPHepjwF
LTC LWu3fAQuw36UVm6vASQgk6yQjgLgKmeWPD
YAC YKVQi33Jv7UaBtStgTDiCB2uL6vsYdX7be
paulthetafy

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:24:57 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2013, 04:36:12 PM by paulthetafy

The miner works fine, it does exactly what mtrlt said it would.  So really, stop fucking complaining about it, especially if you didn't donate (like I did).  It's based on HP7 code so if/when mtrlt or mikaelh update it to HP10 it will certainly run much quicker than HP10.

Incidentally I have 2 x 7950 and a crappy quad core with code I have compiled myself.  I have also tweaked a few things too (but nothing like the HP10 improvements) and have minded 2 blocks with it in about 20 hours.

OK good,

some schreenshot of that phenomen ? Wink

how did you setup, GPU doing the test, or ?

Not sure what I can screenshot exactly?  The GPU is NOT doing the fermat test.  this is the important stuff from my primecoin.conf...

Code:
protocol primecoin
worksize 256
aggression 21
sharethreads 1

sievepercentage 10
sievesize 2000000

platform 0

device 0
device 1

vectors 2
lookup_gap 2
debug false
opencldebug false
cpu_mining_threads 8
use_gpu true
use_gpu_fermat_test false
getwork_rate 4000
gpu_thread_concurrency 24000

Like I said I have made a few tweaks to the code which might give me 5% increase but nothing much.  The result is....

Code:
61152.9 fermats/s, 3581.43 gandalfs/s.
354.966M TOTAL     1.02913M 2-chains     65.0499k 3-chains     4.18879k 4-chains     286.323 5-chains     16.1493 6-chains

... which appears to be nothing special really.  I think I'm very lucky to have found 2 blocks already

edit:  this is using ubuntu.   
igysa

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:40:45 PM

thanks Paul.. you must be very luck then, as I have some similar 5-chain, 6 chain results, and for about 12-13 hours nothing.. so I quit for now....Thou why should I complain when others  having numerous rigs found nothing as well Wink

igysa

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:42:30 PM

So whole 3 blocks reported found using GPU miner until now ?!   Shocked

cryptrol

Activity: 637
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:46:52 PM

What is the power usage like ?
Is the GPU under full load ?
paulthetafy

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 04:56:18 PM

What is the power usage like ?
Is the GPU under full load ?
not sure about power usage, but the GPU doesn't appear to be under much load as it's sitting at 40 degrees.
Dumbo

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 07:04:59 PM

So when is code getting distributed to the public? 1 week.. right?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: