Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:57:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we want to continue to allow various vendor hate in here?  (Read 17311 times)
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 09:41:00 PM

Moderate nothing.  Let the ignore button do it's job.

Make a new sub-forum for each of the major manufacturers and 1 more for any new entrants to the bitcoin mining marketspace.  They can be promoted to their own new sub-forum if they make it bigger and appear not to be a scam.

+1.

It's not the forum mods' job to legitimise one manufacturer over another by giving them their own subforum.

Given the amount of frauds and outright fakes that have collected funds and vanished by announcing their wares on bitcointalk.org, it might be time for the mods to at least differentiate between vetted and unvetted products and services. Perhaps such scrutiny might avert a future Pirateat40 or two.
As it stands now, as long as someone doesn't anger the community, they are free to emulate Bernie Madoff to their hearts content.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 10:15:10 PM

*make different sections for custom HW, which exist and custom HW, which is in development/for preorder

and important question: why you are still taking money from BFL and allowing them to advertise here? just explain me why? every second thread in custom HW section is full of evidence, how they fuck up with guys here, every day thousands of dollars are lost in hand of these idiots and board is full of BFL preorder advertisement? company is without scammer tag and guy, which represent the company telling other "morons, idiots, cocksuckers" to his customers?

why you are ignoring strong voice of the community and still allowing BFL representatives access to this board?

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 11:28:37 PM

why you are ignoring strong voice of the community and still allowing BFL representatives access to this board?

Because the administration of these forums don't have a conscience and are whores for the money.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 11:31:54 PM

*make different sections for custom HW, which exist and custom HW, which is in development/for preorder

and important question: why you are still taking money from BFL and allowing them to advertise here? just explain me why? every second thread in custom HW section is full of evidence, how they fuck up with guys here, every day thousands of dollars are lost in hand of these idiots and board is full of BFL preorder advertisement? company is without scammer tag and guy, which represent the company telling other "morons, idiots, cocksuckers" to his customers?

This and this.

Unfortunately, I also understand that this is a free market (this forum also promote freedom of speech) and everyone should do their own research before buying. Theymos don't want to act like a central authority that choose which vendor can advertise and which one can't.
YipYip

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:26:32 AM

I loled....

They have by inaction created this problem......... Tongue

OBJECT NOT FOUND
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:30:49 AM

I loled....

They have by inaction created this problem......... Tongue

In theory the free market should eventually cut the ads budget of BFL if they are a scam (or incompetent).
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 12:31:32 AM

Somehow even THIS thread has turned to the same shit. You really need to do something about it now.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 12:41:52 AM

Somehow even THIS thread has turned to the same shit. Do something about it now.

Maybe the problem isn't the threads. Had you considered that?
When people ask about bitcoin, I send them to this thread first:
List of Major Bitcoin Heists, Thefts, Hacks, Scams, and Losses

That way, they get a feeling for just how often people get ripped off around here. It could be that enough people are finally tired of watching the revolving door of scams and thefts. Absent any intervention by the mods, the response from these people is fragmented and ad hoc. There really needs to be a higher bar to post content on the custom hardware forum. Perhaps there needs to be custom hardware in existence before you can discuss it here, otherwise it is just speculation about mining. A separate DIY forum would be useful as well, so that community projects can do their thing in relatively calm waters. Hiving off group buys worked well for that forum.

We don't need to solve everything with some sweeping overhaul. A simple rule change about eligibility of threads for this forum combined with re-education of the ignore button would be a good start. If it is insufficient, the mods can continue to tinker.

FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 01:14:21 AM

Somehow even THIS thread has turned to the same shit. Do something about it now.

Maybe the problem isn't the threads. Had you considered that?
When people ask about bitcoin, I send them to this thread first:
List of Major Bitcoin Heists, Thefts, Hacks, Scams, and Losses

That way, they get a feeling for just how often people get ripped off around here. It could be that enough people are finally tired of watching the revolving door of scams and thefts. Absent any intervention by the mods, the response from these people is fragmented and ad hoc. There really needs to be a higher bar to post content on the custom hardware forum. Perhaps there needs to be custom hardware in existence before you can discuss it here, otherwise it is just speculation about mining. A separate DIY forum would be useful as well, so that community projects can do their thing in relatively calm waters. Hiving off group buys worked well for that forum.

We don't need to solve everything with some sweeping overhaul. A simple rule change about eligibility of threads for this forum combined with re-education of the ignore button would be a good start. If it is insufficient, the mods can continue to tinker.
Yes education - or organizing the information could do wonders.  Also I considered saying that this subforum should be harder to post into, but I'm not sure if that would help.

Adding too many subforums would fragment the discussion and allow for the trolls and sockpuppets to run wild.  We should congregate all information and make a place for it, rather than try to outlaw it.  Maybe a separate scam accusations for hardware, or custom hardware.

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 01:32:40 AM

You want the forum mods to be the police, and that has been discussed countless times before and they've made it clear they have no intention of becoming that. I've offered a solution within their framework. You want to resuscitate those discussions yet again? Fine, but I'm not arguing that one out with you.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Yogafan00000

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:53:21 AM

It's not the forum mods' job to legitimise one manufacturer over another by giving them their own subforum.

The mods will not have legitimized anything.  We've already legitimized the manu's by starting dozens of threads about BFL, another dozen about BitSynCom, KNC, etc.  We started those threads because we lent support at some point to those manufacturers and we all want to talk about it.  This is where the legitimacy was created.

All I'm suggesting is we group the existing threads into more manageable sub-forums for better visibility.  If we all collectively stop discussing BFL/Avalon/Bitfury for bad or good their respective sub-forum can be dropped/merged into the main forum. 

Nobody is going to be tricked into buying a Monarch because there happens to be a sub-forum about BFL on bitcointalk.org.

1YogAFA... (oh, nevermind)
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2013, 02:01:17 AM

You want the forum mods to be the police, and that has been discussed countless times before and they've made it clear they have no intention of becoming that. I've offered a solution within their framework. You want to resuscitate those discussions yet again? Fine, but I'm not arguing that one out with you.
If you're responding to me, nothing of the sort.

I suggest renaming "Custom hardware" to "Custom hardware development" and adding another hardware subforum "Vendor customer discussion"
I agree that custom hardware is a little clunky, someone mentioned that it should be specifically for people modifying existing hardware.  Makes sense.
I could see organizing it differently.  Having a couple subforums with just the right goal would do wonders.  
What I was arguing against is making one for each developer.

Still, though there is a difficulty of policing here.  If you have a Custom hardware development page separate from the Vendor customer discussion page, where do you draw the line?  Are people allowed to ask questions in the development page?  If not it's basically just advertising by the company.  If so how do you decide if it's a valid question, or if the person should be redirected to the Vendor page?  Basically it seems that we would be back to the same situation of the thread needing to be monitored by the OP, deleting what was deemed to be off topic, or mods would have to step in.  We're back to the ignore button, right?

Edit- Yoga I like the idea, but how would you decide which people get subforums?

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:13:09 AM

I agree about free speech and not becoming police....but what about when the community has spoken

If we have 80%+ of the forum say that BFL should get a UNTRUSTWORTHY/SCAMMER tag and nothing happens what can you do Huh

Was this not that same story with Pirate...!

OBJECT NOT FOUND
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:15:20 AM

It is completely out of control and is unacceptable.

It's time to split off the threads and make the subforums suitable.

I suggest renaming "Custom hardware" to "Custom hardware development" and adding another hardware subforum "Vendor customer discussion"

I don't think juggling the subforums will have much effect, you will still have anarchy and 90% of the posts being off topic.

If the mods don't want to mod, then you need a system where the people can mod by vote. eg. by a score on the post, and the ability to hide posts below a certain score.

miter_myles

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:39:20 AM

This place and especially this section has become it's own self sustaining "Troll Box" BTC-E style..

More section specific "neutral" mods, who can keep this place straight would be the best bet.  You can make a zillion sub-forums, but they will all mirror the main forum if it isn't policed and moderated...  without this action -> things will be much like the current one, just split in different areas...  You will still have the same clowns copy/pasting the same "OMG READ THIS VERY IMPORTANT WORD VOMIT ON WHY SOMEONE OR A COMPANY SUCKS BALLSACKS!!!1!11!!" in every thread or new thread..

If people see that you can't get away with all the senseless bullshit.. if they value the account/user name.. they will probably stop. 

Also - it would probably help to have a sticky thread for new people browsing this section... it would have to be a fact driven thread of past, current and near future outlooks.. neutral if at all possible..

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:48:23 AM

The mods already move threads around based on topic. Adding subforums and changing the topics that can be discussed in them would not be asking the mods to do anything they are not doing already. 

For instance:
Conversations involving speculation about future products doesn't really belong with modding/overclocking/debugging existing ones. That is a clear topical boundary that could be easily enforced by mods using their existing activities.

nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:04:04 AM

Wow, this thread got hijacked too.
iikun
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 06:06:07 AM

It may simply incentivize sock puppet usage, but one idea would be to ban thread posts from professional manufacturers in this section. If they want to use this forum for advertising then let them pay.
People would be less vitriolic if this sub wasn't peppered with "pre-order now!" threads & instead promoted such topics as how to o/c or fine tune their hardware.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:32:16 AM

Moderate nothing.  Let the ignore button do it's job.

Make a new sub-forum for each of the major manufacturers and 1 more for any new entrants to the bitcoin mining marketspace.  They can be promoted to their own new sub-forum if they make it bigger and appear not to be a scam.

+1.

(Different Shit...Below)

It is for the fabricators to legitimise themselves and to band together to agree on standards and promote the industry to everyone in the community in a POSITIVE manner.

Have a Custom Hardware Association subforum that is moderated by members and users. All agree to set standards to post and publish in the subforum. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=282030.0 That way the Association and Users are all responsible for the upkeep of the subforum based on a clear set ethical standards for businesses selling mining rigs, chips or diy projects. If you don't want to join (agree to the standards as a fabricator) you can still PAY the FORUM to advertise. That way it is free to advertize but you need to accept the standards before you can POST to the subforum. If you do not comply with the standards you are banned from posting in that subform and your posts are locked and moved elsewhere.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 01:33:45 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2013, 05:52:52 PM by Xian01

I can't think of any reasons why this proposal wouldn't work. No sarcasm. It would immediately solve many of the problems in this sub.

EDIT: I might suggest refining this a bit further as "Custom Hardware Development and Announcements" and "Custom Hardware Meta and Community"; I feel "Vendor Customer Discussion" is too narrow to be genuinely useful.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: