Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 08:03:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [HAVELOCK] PETAMINE - 1,150 TH/S HASH RATE (1GH/S per Unit)  (Read 565647 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
rdyoung
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 10:12:59 PM

Im thinking that whenever news is released that they move 100% hashrate to P2P pool the price shoots back to .005
Why?  PETA is already extremely overvalued.

Well, if you look to CEX.io GH/s price it is not...

Exactly, but cex is a whole other story. I have a feeling that the price is being propped up by the people behind cex. They have said that they release new ghs onto the market they do it in a way to not affect the price. They are making a shitton of money, they are run by bitfury so their cost for hardware is nothing compared to the market rate. if they are able to produce hardware at say 25c/ghs and they are selling it .0048 I think was the last price I saw, thats over 2.5$/GHS profit, an 800% markup.

Comparing one overvalued asset against another doesn't change the facts. 

Bahhhh What?Huh How did I change the facts. If you look closely at almost everything I post I go straight down the middle laying out facts and trying to not sound like I fall on either side of the fence.

To sum up both of my posts in a way that might be easier to understand.

ALL valuations on any asset are whatever a person is willing to pay. If I am extremely thirsty and am willing to pay 5$ for a bottle of water, than at that moment in time that bottle of water is worth 5$ to ME. Peta in my opinion is not extremely overvalued, its sitting at maybe 25% over where it should be. In either case of peta of or cex, you will pay a premium over buying your own hardware. When your purchasing GHS in this scenario, (A perpetually paying asset) you are not purchasing the hardware, your asset is more abstract, if some of the hardware dies and gets replaced, your ghs still remains, if you purchased your own hardware and it goes down, your SOL.

Yes the dividend will eventually go to zero

If this were to ever happen then the entire network would cease to function.

I strongly disagree.  PETA has fixed costs such as electricity and data center rental.  At some point, the total mining income will be less than the fixed costs, and the dividend will eventually be zero.  At that point, the share price will be worth almost zero.  The Bitcoin network will continue to function with newer, faster, and more efficient ASICs.

I owned some PETA shares.  My assumption was a 14% difficulty increase every 14 days.  With that scenario, the current share price is higher than the sum of all future dividends.  It looks like we're only jumping 9% in 2 days, so maybe I was overly pessimistic.  In any case, don't think that PETA is a perpetually paying asset.  I would think sometime next summer the dividends will end.

You are of course assuming that cryptx doesn't swap out the current hardware for the next gen when it comes available.
IF and this is a big IF, cryptx has the same zeal for this project as pre ipo, they would be looking for the next gen to upgrade to. They are making some very nice residuals off the energy/hosting, it would be against their interest to just let the mine dwindle to zero profits.
Netwerked

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 11:19:26 PM

Im thinking that whenever news is released that they move 100% hashrate to P2P pool the price shoots back to .005
Why?  PETA is already extremely overvalued.

Exactly, but cex is a whole other story. I have a feeling that the price is being propped up by the people behind cex. They have said that they release new ghs onto the market they do it in a way to not affect the price. They are making a shitton of money, they are run by bitfury so their cost for hardware is nothing compared to the market rate. if they are able to produce hardware at say 25c/ghs and they are selling it .0048 I think was the last price I saw, thats over 2.5$/GHS profit, an 800% markup.

Bahhhh What?Huh How did I change the facts. If you look closely at almost everything I post I go straight down the middle laying out facts and trying to not sound like I fall on either side of the fence.

ALL valuations on any asset are whatever a person is willing to pay. If I am extremely thirsty and am willing to pay 5$ for a bottle of water, than at that moment in time that bottle of water is worth 5$ to ME. Peta in my opinion is not extremely overvalued, its sitting at maybe 25% over where it should be. In either case of peta of or cex, you will pay a premium over buying your own hardware. When your purchasing GHS in this scenario, (A perpetually paying asset) you are not purchasing the hardware, your asset is more abstract, if some of the hardware dies and gets replaced, your ghs still remains, if you purchased your own hardware and it goes down, your SOL.

I strongly disagree.  PETA has fixed costs such as electricity and data center rental.  At some point, the total mining income will be less than the fixed costs, and the dividend will eventually be zero.  At that point, the share price will be worth almost zero.  The Bitcoin network will continue to function with newer, faster, and more efficient ASICs.

I owned some PETA shares.  My assumption was a 14% difficulty increase every 14 days.  With that scenario, the current share price is higher than the sum of all future dividends.  It looks like we're only jumping 9% in 2 days, so maybe I was overly pessimistic.  In any case, don't think that PETA is a perpetually paying asset.  I would think sometime next summer the dividends will end.

You are of course assuming that cryptx doesn't swap out the current hardware for the next gen when it comes available.
IF and this is a big IF, cryptx has the same zeal for this project as pre ipo, they would be looking for the next gen to upgrade to. They are making some very nice residuals off the energy/hosting, it would be against their interest to just let the mine dwindle to zero profits.

Yes, I'm assuming that the hardware is not swapped out down the road for a few reasons.

Originally, mining income was allocated to three areas.  It first paid for overhead/electricity.  40% of the remaining income went to dividends, and 60% went towards equipment.  The equipment fund is vital to the success of PETA, because without new equipment the old equipment eventually becomes worthless and the dividend goes to zero.

I'm not sure what prompted a shareholder vote to be called, but in early June, shareholders decided that dividends should be raised to 50%.  This lowered the amount of money used to pay back the loan and save up for new equipment.  It still looked like the loan could be paid off, but due to the difficulty increases, the dividend was falling and there wouldn't be much of an equipment reinvestment fund.

Probably because of that fear, another vote was called earlier this month to convert the loan into outstanding shares and change dividends to 100%.  The shareholders approved.  Now there is no loan to repay and no budget for new equipment.

How do we get new equipment?  Capital will need to be raised.  How is capital raised?  Another IPO.  If a new IPO is successful, then equipment could be replaced with more energy efficient miners.  This would extend the life of shares for existing shareholders.  Without another IPO, I think the fund's days are numbered.

Yes, dividends going to zero are not in the interest of cryptx, but they may launch other projects that can leverage their data center.  Their data center does not exist solely to support PETA.
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:17:33 AM

Why?  PETA is already extremely overvalued.

I strongly disagree.  PETA has fixed costs such as electricity and data center rental.  At some point, the total mining income will be less than the fixed costs, and the dividend will eventually be zero.  At that point, the share price will be worth almost zero.  The Bitcoin network will continue to function with newer, faster, and more efficient ASICs.

I owned some PETA shares.  My assumption was a 14% difficulty increase every 14 days.  With that scenario, the current share price is higher than the sum of all future dividends.  It looks like we're only jumping 9% in 2 days, so maybe I was overly pessimistic.  In any case, don't think that PETA is a perpetually paying asset.  I would think sometime next summer the dividends will end.

Yes, I'm assuming that the hardware is not swapped out down the road for a few reasons.

Originally, mining income was allocated to three areas.  It first paid for overhead/electricity.  40% of the remaining income went to dividends, and 60% went towards equipment.  The equipment fund is vital to the success of PETA, because without new equipment the old equipment eventually becomes worthless and the dividend goes to zero.

I'm not sure what prompted a shareholder vote to be called, but in early June, shareholders decided that dividends should be raised to 50%.  This lowered the amount of money used to pay back the loan and save up for new equipment.  It still looked like the loan could be paid off, but due to the difficulty increases, the dividend was falling and there wouldn't be much of an equipment reinvestment fund.

Probably because of that fear, another vote was called earlier this month to convert the loan into outstanding shares and change dividends to 100%.  The shareholders approved.  Now there is no loan to repay and no budget for new equipment.

How do we get new equipment?  Capital will need to be raised.  How is capital raised?  Another IPO.  If a new IPO is successful, then equipment could be replaced with more energy efficient miners.  This would extend the life of shares for existing shareholders.  Without another IPO, I think the fund's days are numbered.

Yes, dividends going to zero are not in the interest of cryptx, but they may launch other projects that can leverage their data center.  Their data center does not exist solely to support PETA.

Your are forgetting 1 large source of funds, the existing equipment. They could easily list hardware for sale and as soon as it sells they buy new hardware with those funds. They also apparently have quite a bit of personal funds they have invested in this project. Don't forget that while the shareholders hold the bag currently so to speak, they bought the original and second set of hardware out of their own pocket. They could very easily estimate what they could resell equipment for and do a short term loan for the new hardware so that their is no downtime while selling/swapping.

You mustn't also ignore the fact that if they for example were able to swap out the 1150ghs we have now for say 2000ghs, thats an extra 850ghs they can list on havelock or wherever to offload the mining risk.
Netwerked

Activity: 55

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 03:29:53 AM

Why?  PETA is already extremely overvalued.

I strongly disagree.  PETA has fixed costs such as electricity and data center rental.  At some point, the total mining income will be less than the fixed costs, and the dividend will eventually be zero.  At that point, the share price will be worth almost zero.  The Bitcoin network will continue to function with newer, faster, and more efficient ASICs.

I owned some PETA shares.  My assumption was a 14% difficulty increase every 14 days.  With that scenario, the current share price is higher than the sum of all future dividends.  It looks like we're only jumping 9% in 2 days, so maybe I was overly pessimistic.  In any case, don't think that PETA is a perpetually paying asset.  I would think sometime next summer the dividends will end.

Originally, mining income was allocated to three areas.  It first paid for overhead/electricity.  40% of the remaining income went to dividends, and 60% went towards equipment.  The equipment fund is vital to the success of PETA, because without new equipment the old equipment eventually becomes worthless and the dividend goes to zero.

I'm not sure what prompted a shareholder vote to be called, but in early June, shareholders decided that dividends should be raised to 50%.  This lowered the amount of money used to pay back the loan and save up for new equipment.  It still looked like the loan could be paid off, but due to the difficulty increases, the dividend was falling and there wouldn't be much of an equipment reinvestment fund.

Probably because of that fear, another vote was called earlier this month to convert the loan into outstanding shares and change dividends to 100%.  The shareholders approved.  Now there is no loan to repay and no budget for new equipment.

How do we get new equipment?  Capital will need to be raised.  How is capital raised?  Another IPO.  If a new IPO is successful, then equipment could be replaced with more energy efficient miners.  This would extend the life of shares for existing shareholders.  Without another IPO, I think the fund's days are numbered.

Yes, dividends going to zero are not in the interest of cryptx, but they may launch other projects that can leverage their data center.  Their data center does not exist solely to support PETA.

Your are forgetting 1 large source of funds, the existing equipment. They could easily list hardware for sale and as soon as it sells they buy new hardware with those funds. They also apparently have quite a bit of personal funds they have invested in this project. Don't forget that while the shareholders hold the bag currently so to speak, they bought the original and second set of hardware out of their own pocket. They could very easily estimate what they could resell equipment for and do a short term loan for the new hardware so that their is no downtime while selling/swapping.

You mustn't also ignore the fact that if they for example were able to swap out the 1150ghs we have now for say 2000ghs, thats an extra 850ghs they can list on havelock or wherever to offload the mining risk.

I took the existing equipment into account.  I wouldn't say it is a large source of funds.  It may be worth a large amount of money today, but by the time new equipment is needed, it won't be worth too much.  Mining equipment depreciates quickly.  Rationally speaking, why would a prospective buyer spend more $$/GH on older mining equipment than what can be purchased brand new?  Also, newer equipment is more energy efficient-- more GH/watts, which makes older equipment less attractive, thus cheaper.  Yes, they can sell the existing equipment for some residual value, but more capital is required to fully replace today's equipment.

Where does PETA get that extra capital?  I suppose if cryptx uses his own money to buy the new equipment, then selling the old equipment will offset some of the cost.  Perhaps he can use the excess capacity of the new equipment to do some mining to repay the loan, then do an IPO to sell those new shares.  As long as the IPO price is less than CEX, that might be a good strategy.
dyask

Activity: 854
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:14:40 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2014, 11:36:16 PM by dyask

ALL valuations on any asset are whatever a person is willing to pay. ...

Price, even price people are paying and value are two different things.  A valuation is a statement of value and doesn't have anything directly to do with price.   If price is higher than the value of something, it is over valued.  

Since PETA can only be profitable if the difficultly grows less than 5%, I believe it is overvalued.   A reasonable price is probably 30% or more lower than it currently is.  

At any given time, a small part of the market could be driving price way up, it doesn't mean everyone values the commodity at that price, only the people that are paying that price match that value.   Over the short term, markets are often wrong, that is common.  
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 12:49:27 PM

Price, even price people are paying and value are too different things.  A valuation is a statement of value and doesn't have anything directly to do with price...

To be fair, the value of securities like PETA is mainly speculative, since the underlying value is unknown and is in constant flux.  When the difficulty goes up X%, the asset value [hardware] goes down ~X%.*  We don't have enough info to predict difficulty.  Throw in irrationality and illiquidity of the market, and market price becomes the only interesting indicator.

*Actually a bit more, since there's a floor below which the hardware stops generating profit, i.e. (the cost of hosting+electricity) becomes greater than (the coin mined).
oma5

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:31:37 PM

We've already surpassed last week's dividend amount and still have tomorrows to receive.
The difficulty will be going up but how much will that really affect the dividend? Yeah... a bit...
All the negative on this forum has not really come to pass yet.
This is still a darned good investment!
So go a head and speculate and gripe all you want, but the reality (real bitcoins in our pocket) does not exactly concur.
 Smiley
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:43:08 PM

Price, even price people are paying and value are too different things.  A valuation is a statement of value and doesn't have anything directly to do with price.

Actually, they are the exact the same thing. Somebody seeing a post on reddit and jumping into peta on havelock may not have sat down and done a true valuation, BUT as they decided what the could invest and bought in, they do a quick valuation and decided current price is worth purchasing.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 01:49:30 PM

We've already surpassed last week's dividend amount and still have tomorrows to receive.
You're confusing pool luck with trends.
The difficulty will be going up but how much will that really affect the dividend? Yeah... a bit...
Dividends will go down by a somewhat greater rate than the difficulty increase.
All the negative on this forum has not really come to pass yet.
You must be looking at the wrong charts.
This is still a darned good investment!
Only if your goal is to lose money.
So go a head and speculate and gripe all you want, but the reality (real bitcoins in our pocket) does not exactly concur.
 Smiley
Unless you stole or found some coin, you now have less in your pocket than you did before you "invested."  
You also have less coin on Havelock, and there's absolutely no guarantee that said coin will ever see your pocket again.  Judging by your post, you'll end up (what's the favored euphemism for what you do here? "Investing"?) investing it again.
crino

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 09:14:16 PM

Anyway, tomorrow I predict a great dividend.
dyask

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:49:09 PM

Price, even price people are paying and value are too different things.  A valuation is a statement of value and doesn't have anything directly to do with price...

To be fair, the value of securities like PETA is mainly speculative, since the underlying value is unknown and is in constant flux.  When the difficulty goes up X%, the asset value [hardware] goes down ~X%.*  We don't have enough info to predict difficulty.  Throw in irrationality and illiquidity of the market, and market price becomes the only interesting indicator.

*Actually a bit more, since there's a floor below which the hardware stops generating profit, i.e. (the cost of hosting+electricity) becomes greater than (the coin mined).

I don't agree, price isn't the only interesting indicator.  You have to determine a value of the security that you believe in.   It is really value that drives market price over time.   It takes time because there will be a large range of views on the value, but if one is even on the correct side of the value one can make good choices about price.   

Right now we have too very mild difficulty changes and that has lulled people in to believing we are at the top of the difficulty curve.   That might be the case, but it could also be the case we get a big jump again.   If we do, PETA will likely see a bigger than justified decrease in price.  That is the risk.  The other risk is the yield is too low for the price.  The dividend today was high at .00002101, but compare that to B.Mine that pays .00002900 per GH/s everyday this difficulty, PETA is low, but priced higher?   That is overvalued no matter how you paint it.
dyask

View Profile
July 24, 2014, 11:50:46 PM

Price, even price people are paying and value are too different things.  A valuation is a statement of value and doesn't have anything directly to do with price.

Actually, they are the exact the same thing. Somebody seeing a post on reddit and jumping into peta on havelock may not have sat down and done a true valuation, BUT as they decided what the could invest and bought in, they do a quick valuation and decided current price is worth purchasing.

Price and value are two completely different things.  Not understanding that is why people lose at investing.   
oma5

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:21:56 AM

Estimated Next Difficulty:   18,679,795,923 (+7.75%) (it might be less)
Adjust time:   After 149 Blocks, About 23.1 hours
We will get the next dividend before the change...
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596

Well hello there!

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:23:47 AM

My dividend guess for tomorrow: 0.00002078

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
dyask

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:35:14 AM

My dividend guess for tomorrow: 0.00002078
The dividend for B.Mine tomorrow will be 0.00014504 for 5 GH/s or .00002900 per GH/s.   However the price of B.Mine is now slightly 5x of PETA.  Still B.Mine would break even in about 11 months at 12% difficulty increases.    As grim as that is, the story is better than it is for PETA.  The power fees kill PETA.
crino

Activity: 82

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 08:56:38 AM

tragor

Activity: 36

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:19:51 AM

updated graph, 3 weeks after the 1:14 split
https://i.imgur.com/SU0YwWJ.jpg
Aireun

Activity: 113

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:26:06 PM

8% difficulty increase in the next few hours at most... heh, that won't even change the payout for tommorow.  Cheesy

In Bitcoin We Trust! Your link: https://hashie.co/t?p=30630&v=85f
tragor

Activity: 36

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:49:33 PM

btw, I just sold my last shares turning a huge… 2 mBTC profit  Cheesy

who the heck is selling 9k shares?
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:11:27 PM

Estimated Next Difficulty:   18,679,795,923 (+7.75%) (it might be less)
Adjust time:   After 149 Blocks, About 23.1 hours
We will get the next dividend before the change...

Looks like we settled
http://bitcoindifficulty.com/
Next difficulty (estimate): 18,727,430,107 (+-0%)

So it landed at 18.7 mill

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: « 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 »
  Print  

Jump to: