Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:24:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to store Bitcoin safely ?  (Read 2579 times)
VitKoyn

Activity: 490
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 04:30:16 AM

The best way you can do to store your Bitcoin is to use a hardware wallet or generate your own private key and print it on a piece of paper.
Also I was wondering if there are any 100% safe third party wallets that enable quick access if needed ?
Sorry if my question has been covered many times, but I just don't want to make a big mistake.
Third party wallets are not advisable to use if you will hold your Bitcoins for a long time, remember that third party wallets will not give you full control of your private keys.
Hi again
I just wanted to let you guys that have been recommending the hardware wallets,
I was going to buy the ledger nano s tonight until I read there is security issues with them, Ive just made a post here regarding the Ledger Nano S https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3630923
You should know that there are no perfect security on any system, everything has its own flaws. This is why you should always update the firmware of your hardware wallet for better security. About this security issues that you are saying on that thread, I think you will be fine if you will just buy ledger nano s directly to its manufacturer to ensure that they didn't modify anything on that hardware, and never buy on any re-seller. If you still worrying about this then just create your own paper wallet, but also be careful on what software and device you will use to generate the private keys. Or you can also try other hardware wallet like trezor.
tungaqhd

Activity: 1540
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 04:38:05 AM

Hi guys
I know this might sound like a newbie question, but Ive not had enough bitcoin to think about putting any in cold storage since Cryptsy ripped me off when they went down Sad
But just lately ive built myself back up a bit, and just need to check my understanding of a creating a cold wallet is correct ? This is what I think was the best way but im not sure Huh

1. Download latest BTC client
2. move to a pc not connected to the internet.
3. Create an address on that PC without internet.
4. Send fund to address created on PC with no internet access.
5. Save keys in safe place Smiley

Also I was wondering if there are any 100% safe third party wallets that enable quick access if needed ?

Sorry if my question has been covered many times, but I just don't want to make a big mistake.

Thanks
Rick
I think hardware wallet or paper wallet are best choices. They are independence from internet and hard to be hacked.
clairdelune

Activity: 168
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 06:21:02 AM

Look for different ways on how you can check your BTC wallet other than your pass key do not give your wallet info to others that is anonymous to you. You can use cold, Hard (Digital) Cash. Use hardware wallets like Trezor or the Ledger Nano S but it cost $100 or less and have a straightforward setup. There are many ways on how you can keep your wallet safe you just have to study and research on how to do it. You just have to be diligence in looking for ways on how you can keep your wallet safe, you can also search on the google, you can also read some forum here in bitcointalk so you can get some suggestion on other people. But you just make it as your guide I'm not telling you to follow what everyone is telling you we never know what others want to tell us. so For me Look for the best way that you can do to make your wallet safe.
nguyentuanduongg1995

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 04:57:12 AM

To store the bitcoin safely, you should set up the wallet to store. As far as I know, there are five types of secure bitcoins available today: Ledger Nano S wallet, Exodus Wallet, My Ether Wallet, Wallet TREZOR, Wallet Ethereum on Coinbase
Ajeng07

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 06:39:45 AM

To store bitcoins safely can use online digital wallets, but if your bitcoin is publicly displayed, it can lead to attacks of hacking and fraud. Then the best option is to use hardware that can store your bitcoin offline.
Examples of security devices that look like USB drives, usb can easily be sent to the computer. can use pin number for security.
websing

Activity: 187

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 05:31:04 PM

wallet bitcoin dan wallet website
panganib999

Activity: 1736
Merit: 589

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2018, 05:36:58 PM

The best option is to find multiple ways for you to store and to keep your bitcoin. We all know that there would be always avrisk in storing in a decentralized and online based system so it is better to lessen the risk by not limiting ourselves on the way we could store our Bitcoin in both online and offline way.
kram31

Activity: 791
Merit: 139

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 05:38:48 PM

just get a wallet like coinbase!
leave your bitcoin and wait for a long time.
just remember to save your private keys and passwords safely.
and you are safe!
iyan33

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 05:46:44 PM

if we want to save the safe bitcoin there are some dumpet it, if I use indodax wallet, because Indodax.com is an online market to buy and sell Bitcoin in Indonesia using Rupiah currency. we can also exchange your Bitcoin to various other digital assetssuch as Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, DASH, Ripple, Stellar, XEM, NXT and Bitshares for free without any cost deductions
JessAnd

Activity: 45

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 05:58:15 PM

Did you guys hear about the service to store large wallets (link: https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/05/10/bitcoin-whales-underground-vaults-xapo/#).

I wonder if there's similar service for mid-sized wallets (hopefully cheaper, too Smiley.
swissgang

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2018, 06:16:36 PM

No matter whatever you do to safely store your bitcoin, if the method you use is something except hardware wallets, it does not make sense. In all other methods your bitcoin can be stolen.

TIDOVEE

Activity: 1246
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 06:32:44 PM

To store Bitcoin safely, you can go through the following system;
1. Register up with a wallet. I use etherium wallet, while there are many others like indodax, waves etc
2. Your wallet pin will be given to you as your security.
3.Carefully keep the wallet pin safe and out of anyone's reach.
MrRiuss

Activity: 317
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 06:36:06 PM

i think what you have done is safe enough. each way of bitcoin saving, have advantages and disadvantages. the way you mention is safe enough.
Grace037

Activity: 35

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 06:41:29 PM

It is very much helpful for me as a newbie to catch some new informations through our beloved mates,thanks i must do what you did
greeklogos

Activity: 658
Merit: 152

View Profile
May 10, 2018, 06:51:51 PM

I think the way you wrote is the perfect way to store coins. That suits the most to huge amounts of coins. I would add just sharing the information about the wallet and coins with the person you know and trust for the case of your death or something like that to your children could get those money if something will happen to you.
AlexAtom

Activity: 560
Merit: 10

YOUC - www.youengine.io

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 03:51:55 AM

Hi guys
I know this might sound like a newbie question, but Ive not had enough bitcoin to think about putting any in cold storage since Cryptsy ripped me off when they went down Sad
But just lately ive built myself back up a bit, and just need to check my understanding of a creating a cold wallet is correct ? This is what I think was the best way but im not sure Huh

1. Download latest BTC client
2. move to a pc not connected to the internet.
3. Create an address on that PC without internet.
4. Send fund to address created on PC with no internet access.
5. Save keys in safe place Smiley

Thanks
Rick

if you have your own wallet client, that is good. but the problem is you need to download the blockchain database.
usually the blockchain database is very huge. You need to patient for downloading that.
the other option for safely store bitcoin is store it on cold wallet.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱ 
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Moiyah

Activity: 630
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 07:51:16 AM

If you are pertaining to an offline hardware wallet, then that is the best way to store bitcoin and other altcoins. But then, there are still risks of a cold storage. Make sure you gather all the informations needed before doing such thing. I have read before that you have to save it in a usb for security. For an instance, having a cold storage is so helpful in the future and also prevent from theft, if ever.
upinros

Activity: 178
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 09:42:38 AM

Yes to save Bitcoin where you can download the best wallet.You prefer to use coins so you can keep Bitcoin safely and safely. Always keep in a safe place private key to know someone can hack your wallet is a big fan of hardware wallet when it comes to safety point of view. There are several ways to store Bitcoin in an offline wallet including a paper wallet. In addition, hardware wallets are another more flexible way to use.
litecoinricky (OP)

Activity: 171
Merit: 3

I need a break!

View Profile
May 11, 2018, 12:20:51 PM

Id like to thank you all for your suggestions, it seems like everyone has there own preferred choice of storage, which has got me a little confused researching everything lol

There are pros and cons to each and every method suggested, so until I decide, I am going to to just keep my funds spread around, "Don't keep all your eggs in one basket" as they say Smiley

Thanks again, I wasn't expecting so many replies to what I originally thought was a pretty newbie question Smiley

I'll take any freebies on offer Smiley
21millionsbtc

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 04:12:43 AM

Safest  way to store Bitcoins are Ledger Nano and Trezer wallet both are hardware wallet we can store bitcoin and etherum in these wallets with private keys
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: