Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:39:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to store Bitcoin safely ?  (Read 2579 times)
bce

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 05:20:00 AM

Hi guys
I know this might sound like a newbie question, but Ive not had enough bitcoin to think about putting any in cold storage since Cryptsy ripped me off when they went down Sad
But just lately ive built myself back up a bit, and just need to check my understanding of a creating a cold wallet is correct ? This is what I think was the best way but im not sure Huh

1. Download latest BTC client
2. move to a pc not connected to the internet.
3. Create an address on that PC without internet.
4. Send fund to address created on PC with no internet access.
5. Save keys in safe place Smiley

Also I was wondering if there are any 100% safe third party wallets that enable quick access if needed ?

Sorry if my question has been covered many times, but I just don't want to make a big mistake.

Thanks
Rick
I think that you are telling me is enough to answer for security issues in investing with bitcoin just do the replacement of the key code in a regular way and avoid surfing on sites I do not know
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
biuifyus

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2018, 07:00:06 AM

The simplest key management method is to store them on files on your own local device: your computer, your phone, or other types of gadgets you carry, own or control. This is good for convenience: there is a smartphone app that can be pushed down with a few buttons, which is hard to beat.
ekeh

Activity: 278
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:16:55 AM

The best way of store bitcoin for a saver side is to use Blockchainwallet.info wallet address is a very good one and more secure than any other wallet in crypto community.
amih

Activity: 308
Merit: 17

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:28:48 AM

I think the most important thing to keep bitcoin assets that we have in bitcoin wallets is of course it depends on each individual owner of bitcoin assets. so I mean the way in which to store bitcoin assets with any wallet would not be safe if the owner of the wallet is careless in his private key storage. so I mean hacking can happen if the other party knows about the private key you have so if someone else needs to know about your wallet, I think you should choose someone who can be trusted to keep the private key from your wallet unknown to others. it is one way you should do so that your bitcoin wallet is still safe and of course you must choose a wallet that has a high enough level of security as well as bitcoin wallets with hardware.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
blu.storm

Activity: 320
Merit: 17

free space pm if interessed

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:49:35 AM

create your own offline address, keep your private keys secure, use a wallet multisignature, i personally find myself well with electrum

free space pm if interessed
berrieswithwine

Activity: 36
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:56:18 AM

Buy and use a Trezor for secure storage and reasonably easy access to your stored coins.

Keep a little spending money in a hot wallet on your phone.

For that I use Samourai Wallet for Android.
elwiswoodie

Activity: 378
Merit: 16

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:57:54 AM

try to use a wallet hardware that is also not connected to the internet
BTC is a very risky asset, where no one can protest, when a person's assets have been stolen
drlederman

Activity: 40
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 07:59:51 AM

Buy a 4 pack of USB flash drives from amazon for 20 bucks, encrypt and backup your wallet.dat file from your private wallet (need to transfer to a wallet from the exchange in order to do this), and put the file on each of the USB drives.

Make the wallet.dat files "hidden", and pop a few pictures or something else on the drives.

Store your drives in several separate locations - Never the same building in case it burns down - Maybe one at your house, one in your car, one at a loved one's, one at work. Wherever you feel most comfortable. It's good to hide them.

Store your recovery seed (from when you encrypted) in several locations, but never the same location as your USB drives. Ideally, memorize this seed.

Replace all four of your USB drives every 5 years.
Cutieh01

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 08:09:15 AM

create your own offline address, keep your private keys secure, use a wallet multisignature, i personally find myself well with electrum

The best and safest way to store our Bitcoin offline is a hardware wallet it is safe from public view which hackers  and phishing scams cannot attack. Hardware wallets look like USB drive, but then create at least one back up on another encrypted storage device to be secured.
SPQR_Legionnaire

Activity: 34
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 08:15:03 AM

I personally have four USB sticks containing a Veracrypt Encrypted WALLET.DAT with all my coins. All in cold storage.

I then keep one for my keychain, one for my lockbox, one for my go-bag and one stuffed in a sealed metal capsule buried in the nearby park with GPS coordinates on a piece of paper hidden in another capsule buried under the flowerbed in the garden.

The metal capsule ensures I still have access to my coins IF everything burns down or whatever.

And I have a DVD photo album full of vacation photos that I sent my relatives, but it also has a hidden WALLET.DAT copy.

Granted, I only hoard coins, not spend them. I think long term anyway.
daicavung

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 09:31:02 AM

In my opinion, you should limit access to black sites, unknown links. Hackers always install malicious code to steal our wallet. You should log in with Metamask to better protect your account.

Miraz69
Copper Member

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 09:54:34 AM

If you want to store your Bitcoin safely, at first you have to choose the best wallet. At this case i think hardware wallet could be better choice. You can also use different wallet to save multiple amount.
cpoer2011

Activity: 560
Merit: 108

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 10:11:12 AM

The hardware ledger it is the best way to store your bitcoin safely such as Trezor Ledger, Nano S Ledger etc because it's offline ledger and you can connect it to the internet when you want to do some transaction. You have fully controlled your ledger.
bright4mech

Activity: 588
Merit: 18

View Profile
May 13, 2018, 10:35:52 AM

Bitcoin is a digital money, like wise the Banks we have in the difference countries today buy operating using a saving box, that has fire resistance to store you and I. our paper money, to avoid damage or fire hazard or any other stories to tell, in the name of money is missing. Therefore the Blockchain Technology has create a high potential wallet using Bitcoin and Ethereum wallet all together in the chamber, and store in the cloud where no fire hazard can penetrate on it, and is more saver than any other
spyerf

Activity: 378
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 03:57:35 AM

Hi guys
I know this might sound like a newbie question, but Ive not had enough bitcoin to think about putting any in cold storage since Cryptsy ripped me off when they went down Sad
But just lately ive built myself back up a bit, and just need to check my understanding of a creating a cold wallet is correct ? This is what I think was the best way but im not sure Huh

Also I was wondering if there are any 100% safe third party wallets that enable quick access if needed ?

Sorry if my question has been covered many times, but I just don't want to make a big mistake.

Thanks
Rick
that's a good idea, but I think running bitcoin without an internet connection is not possible. and about the safety of the wallet, I think it's still less safe if we are less careful in its use. despite all the security systems we install.
Blue Bell

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:32:42 AM

Hi guys

Thanks
Rick

if you have your own wallet client, that is good. but the problem is you need to download the blockchain database.
usually the blockchain database is very huge. You need to patient for downloading that.
the other option for safely store bitcoin is store it on cold wallet.
Well bitcoin is full of profit so our first priority should be the security and safety of bitcoin, the more we will keep it safe the more it will remain increasing in price, now we are living in modern age where everything get done within seconds so if you want something huge to be done I think it is not big deal to wait for it and let it be complete, I am big fan of bitcoin and I am ready to wait for as much as long will be needed to keep it safe, I am going to download blockchain no matter how much time its gonna take,.
fargoway

Activity: 164

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:37:11 AM

I always repeat the same thing: the best way to safely store your bitcoin or any other crypto - is just to be careful and do some research before investing in suspicious projects, send your coins to not reliable wallets etc.
woolf12

Activity: 114

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 07:05:12 AM

The ONLY way to store your coins safely is to store them on your own cold wallet, plus you got to make back-ups something like Electrum or Jaxx can fit
Hawley

Activity: 61

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 07:16:38 AM

if you want to store your completely secure then go for hardware wallets. they are hack proof. my first i recommended and is number one and the best that you can store your bitocoin is a lenger S nano its look like a USB if you want to see your bitcoin balance just put in the computer and no one can hack your bitcoin because in this world many hacker and they uses a phising site like if you want to log in your user name and password but in the top of your URL box has have a not secure it shows that its not safe. if you dont have a budget just use blockchain it can also store your bitcoin.
cooobb

Activity: 101

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 07:17:34 AM

The ONLY way to store your coins safely is to store them on your own cold wallet, plus you got to make back-ups something like Electrum or Jaxx can fit

That's good but takes too much processing power. In case you have a lot of money in BTC, it's worth it, then you have not that much, I suppose having 3-5 different warm-wallets would be more than enough. Usb encrypted storage is also a great option, that doesn't require powerful system
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: