Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:32:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf FPGA – the anti-ASIC  (Read 43405 times)
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 02:55:00 AM

so tempting but i would like to wait for 2nd batch perhaps.

Unless the second batch comes out before anyone receives the first batch, in which case wait for third batch.  Wink
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ZaebaloRegitsa4

Activity: 64
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 02:56:55 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2018, 03:29:18 AM by ZaebaloRegitsa4

There should already be one off these test units running on an address that everyone can see and monitor.  We should already be able to see that it hashes at the rate stated, is stable, and is legitimate.  
~LOL~ I can rent out my rig  Cheesy
I would have died to watch three hours by blinking lamp...And this is unlikely to convince me more.

There are some very bright people who are working on FPGA's on this forum and the price for entry is 3000-5000 to start according to them.  
Yeah, these people tried to convince me that it is impossible to make asic on kriptonigt. And then BOOOM and gigant N, BOOOM, 2TH in network...
Starting cost of WHOLE mainer Baikal Giant N was lower than you call  "start according to them". And then it was dropped to $1,600.

olseh

Activity: 128
Merit: 9

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 03:06:03 AM

I'm so tempted to place an order... my heart is saying yes but my head is saying no. There's so many questions yet there is also something here... it doesn't look like what's being show is not real hardware. I really don't know what to think

Are you serious, put the wallet down.  Mining profits usually arent made with a new flashy machine, just through building your mine and hard work figuring stuff out Smiley

It's only because I like playing with hardware... not really expecting to turn a profit here and I'd only want one but yeah... just screams too fishy to me
ZaebaloRegitsa4

Activity: 64
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 03:25:47 AM

so tempting but i would like to wait for 2nd batch perhaps.
me too... But if the second batch will be manufactured for a long time and "ends up on a slow boat from China to your location" (c) it may have not time to ROI... I'm afraid the buyers of Baikal Giant N does not returned their investments  Undecided
Here we have a risk too... We do not know what the Monero developers will come up on the next step.

2ALL
I can not understand one thing. When someone (who has a pack of coins) controls the exchange rate and makes money on the artificial mountains, this is normal. Just smile and mine, boys. Smile and mine. And no one calls it a scam. Nobody the bell tolls.
I see a lot of pastors in a brothel here  Undecided
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 04:53:14 AM

If in 18 day that corresponds with the 45-day max to get a refund by PayPal comes into play..beware..the same game that alpha-tech used with PayPal and credit

cards..once past the 45 days for PayPal without a dispute already on file and everyone got stuck on those imaginary miners on that missed deadline and supposed

PayPal and credit card security

Credit card disputes in the US can be filed up to 60-90 days after the purchase, some even later than that. There are some banks that have a one-refund-no-questions-asked policy.

--again paypal can still and your credit card can still (amex) tell you to screw off...due to the fact ..in a previous post you were paying not a company
It does not matter. The company can be registered remotely. If the money will be stolen, Paypal will not refund them to you and will point to the insurance company of state. I do not understand the holy faith to paypal.

It's not just PayPal, it's also the ability to use credit card protection. This covers outright fraud as well (most of the time) even if you run with the money.

You seem to be deliberately lying now in an attempt to downplay the removal of PayPal payment option. Makes me wonder what else you've been lying about.

this is what happened to me with alpha tech ...same scam....if over 45 days w/o a dispute..you are screwed...i was saved in the fact that to prove the

validity of amex (paypal never replied) that I should lose the dispute...amex sent me a form from alpha-tech saying I paid in full..in that it was a pre-order

of 1/3 down via paypal ...i managed to get a call back from paypal fraud after pestering the regular phone folk and pointed them to the alpha page and

showed that it was 1/3 down and that alpha tech was lying by saying i had paid the full amount in full...the guy refunded me on the spot and flag'd alpha

tech..finally after a month for fraud...so I got lucky, IF alpha tech would have only said I paid the 1/3 amount on the bill rather then the scammy full

amount listed....i never would have gotten zip....and IF you are paying and INDIVIDUAL for a product that 'supposedly' is run thru a business like they

claim here...especially overseas....I've heard from others since 2013 it is even MORE iffy...so if nothing else IF YOU PAID via PAYPAL on like day 40

put in a dispute for the full amount back...IF no action happens after that point..you are in the que and can probably still get redress if the wheels come

of on all this on day 46,47,48 ..this is how it worked for amex and I was told mastercard in 2014

(so my faith in paypal and my amex has been tested indeed from 2014 very, very careful and document everything and NEVER not use a credit card

if for no other reason you have the cc company to complain to...paypal...even with a dispute in place did not reply to anything in 2014 after the 45 day

period, again even though put in a dispute before..just around day 55 said it was denied an no more communication..then got lucky only with amex

for the above reasons...again this was 2014 ..in 2013 butterfly labs played the same game on pre-orders...and paypal pulled their support of BFL which

also did no one any good who paid via paypal when the wheels came off of that either (again, from others on BFL I was told on this ..my experience with

them by that time was way past the 45 days) beware indeed Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
bittawm
Legendary

Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 05:52:54 AM

batch 2 good idea

@bittawm is my real telegram
@bittawm is my real twitter
beware of impersonators
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 06:00:36 AM

Batch 2, get that batch 2 up and taking preorders before the first units get into anyone's hot little hands to try it for themselves... Get as many of those babies sold as possible before any bad news hits....

If anyone is following the other FPGA thread the price for entry is a LONG SHOT from where this unit is at.  So there is a HUGE disconnect somewhere.

On the FPGA part and performance if think you are wrong.
The performance are inline with what a fpga of this price could do.
a vcu1525 can do 70k (according to reports so that is not worth much) for more than 10 time that price at roughly the same power consumption.
Not to mention they might have added an AES chip to accelerate just the AES side so that would be perfectly in line.
ruplikminer

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 08:30:00 AM

Interested in getting a couple but I prefer to pay by Paypal only.
ght3d

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 09:36:55 AM

--He did that, and he'd get 'tons' of orders on a positive review.
We were forced to connect programmers to the processing of orders, because the manager can not cope  Tongue

Not an excuse to not send a sample board to a trusted member for a review. I don't how the amount of orders are connected to sending a sample board.

--So videos where he's "mining" with this miner can be easily faked.
Power consumption, heating, it is also easy to fake in game?

I can make the device multiply 2 by 2 in an endless loop and it will consume power and produce heat. Same goes for a toaster, it consumes power and makes heat, but doesn't really mine monero, doesn't it ?

GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:04:43 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2018, 11:24:07 AM by GhostPlayer

Dwarfminer, et al.

One thing I am seriously struggling with is the blatant disregard to answering a vetted trusted member, after the insane amount of requests by the community.

I openly stated on the very first pages I would be happy and willing to verify authenticity, plus, apparently I'm not physically far away - how could a fantastic opportunity like this have been left mute is mind-boggling. Not even a direct response to my offer also raises concerns.

Saying you don't wish to validate your miner through a trusted community member because "they sell just fine without it" openly suggests you have no consideration for transparency and ethos, and are in it for a quick buck.

The business practice is shady, to say the least. FPGA developers do not indeed build websites. But you can hire a teenager to do a better job for scraps. Heck, even a $29 buck shopify store even without a custom domain would look better.

I've seen this pre-order shady model far too many times before. I think the first I almost fell for were Alpha and Flower Tech back in 2013.
 You PayPal excuses are very lame, and are inaccurate. If you PP someone as friends or family, and not as merchant/seller - there is no dispute possible. Plus, even if such were the case, the 45 day mark does not include shipping and seems terribly coincidental.

You got flagged by Paypal and they locked your account for further ID verification. This happens every day with new ecommerce guys starting out, because either a) recent unverified account b) way too much cash suddenly flows in an is deemed suspicious/high risk. Both of which are relatively easy to unflag with proper verification - but that does not protect the buyers at all.

I can see a small "production hickup" coming near delivery time. Classic run-off

I highly suggest everyone stay clear from this. I really really reeeeally hope no one gets burnt.

My offer still stands of course, but we all know that will never happen. If by chance you wish to prove all us Legendary members who posted here wrong - again, I'd be more than happy to comply.
melpheos

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:22:13 AM

Dwarfminer, et al.

One thing I am seriously struggling with is the blatant disregard to answering a vetted trusted member, after the insane amount of requests by the community.

I openly stated on the very first pages I would be happy and willing to verify authenticity, plus, apparently I'm not physically far away - how could a fantastic opportunity like this have been left mute is mind-boggling. Not even a direct response to my offer also raises concerns.

Saying you don't wish to validate your miner through a trusted community member because "they sell just fine without it" openly suggests you have no consideration for transparency and ethos, and are in it for a quick buck.

The business practice is shady, to say the least. FPGA developers do not indeed build websites. But you can hire a teenager to do a better job for scraps. Heck, even a $29 buck shopify store even without a custom domain would look better.

I've seen this pre-order shady model far too many times before. I think the first I almost fell for was Flower Tech back in 2014.
 You PayPal excuses are very lame, and are inaccurate. If you PP someone as friends or family, and not as merchant/seller - there is no dispute possible. Plus, even if such were the case, the 45 day mark does not include shipping and seems terribly coincidental.

You got flagged by Paypal and they locked your account for further ID verification. This happens every day with new ecommerce guys starting out, because either a) recent unverified account b) way too much cash suddenly flows in an is deemed suspicious/high risk. Both of which are relatively easy to unflag with proper verification - but that does not protect the buyers at all.

I can see a small "production hickup" coming near delivery time. Classic run-off

I highly suggest everyone stay clear from this. I really really reeeeally hope no one gets burnt.

My offer still stands of course, but we all know that will never happen. If by chance you wish to prove all us Legendary members who posted here wrong - again, I'd be more than happy to comply.
They have 1500 units left apparently so obviously they dont need someone to validate the item.
There are three possible reasons :
- It's a scam
- The unit does not perform as promoted
- They dont want the units to be bought by only a few persons with deep pockets. If a legendary member confirm the unit is working as intended it would have two consequences : validate the unit so big pockets would buy it in bulk and bring monero team's attention to the project.
gvb

Activity: 140
Merit: 9

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:25:45 AM

like I wrote earlier...

a positive review from a forum member opens the money well or whatever you call it in English.

you would be stupid not to do this and it would just stal new orders.

just take a bubble wrap envelope and send it out. this doesn't require much time nor money and has nothing to do with reaching the deadline or not of that first batch.
GhostPlayer
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:31:45 AM

They have 1500 units left apparently so obviously they dont need someone to validate the item.
- It's a scam
- They dont want the units to be bought by only a few persons with deep pockets. If a legendary member confirm the unit is working as intended it would have two consequences : validate the unit so big pockets would buy it in bulk and bring monero team's attention to the project.

So the answer then is not to validate? ha! If you dont want big pocket and bulk sales, simply dont accept the offer, and set in place rigid IP, address, paypal and CC limits. Problem solved. Big pockets always get what they want, as they have resources for it.

Solution? Target lower pockets that have less opportunity to go after them if it is a scam. People who can't pay for lawyers and set wheels in motion, because it is simply not worth it.

Its an FPGA! Monero could be all over it if they'd want, a simple SW update would solve the issue. Cat and mouse game, unlike ASIC that get instantly bricked. Plus, its multi-algo.
GhostPlayer
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:32:56 AM

like I wrote earlier...

a positive review from a forum member opens the money well or whatever you call it in English.

you would be stupid not to do this and it would just stal new orders.

just take a bubble wrap envelope and send it out. this doesn't require much time nor money and has nothing to do with reaching the deadline or not of that first batch.

Exactly! Otherwise, what is the point of opening a thread like this, here?
If not for social validation, what else could it be for?
melpheos

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:44:50 AM

- It's a scam

So the answer then is not to validate? ha! If you dont want big pocket and bulk sales, simply dont accept the offer, and set in place rigid IP, address, paypal and CC limits. Problem solved. Big pockets always get what they want, as they have resources for it.

Solution? Target lower pockets that have less opportunity to go after them if it is a scam. People who can't pay for lawyers and set wheels in motion, because it is simply not worth it.

Its an FPGA! Monero could be all over it if they'd want, a simple SW update would solve the issue. Cat and mouse game, unlike ASIC that get instantly bricked. Plus, its multi-algo.
You know that OhGodaCompany released a software that increases eth hashrate free of charge for everyone.
It's perfectly possible that DwarfMiner team for ethical reasons wants to keep the first cards to small time miner.
But like i said the first reason i wrote : - It's scam
GhostPlayer
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 12:02:34 PM

You know that OhGodaCompany released a software that increases eth hashrate free of charge for everyone.
It's perfectly possible that DwarfMiner team for ethical reasons wants to keep the first cards to small time miner.

All the more reason for validation by a trusted community member, to reassure buying by small miners.

Big pockets keep it hush hush and can travel at will to verify themselves.

Small time miners would hugely benefit from the vetting of legitimacy, and drive sales through the roof.

If this is not a scam but actually legit, big pockets will eat up all the 25k units of the second batch anyway, unless very serious
measures are set in place against that.

Ethical reasons would imply ethical behaviour, which is what we are not witnessing here.
melpheos

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 12:07:48 PM

All the more reason for validation by a trusted community member, to reassure buying by small miners.

Big pockets keep it hush hush and can travel at will to verify themselves.

Small time miners would hugely benefit from the vetting of legitimacy, and drive sales through the roof.

If this is not a scam but actually legit, big pockets will eat up all the 25k units of the second batch anyway, unless very serious
measures are set in place against that.

Ethical reasons would imply ethical behaviour, which is what we are not witnessing here.
This is a double edge sword but i understand what you mean
xpm-guru_v2

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 12:49:24 PM

Dwarf probably is scared to send out test units because we all know that currently there are stickers hiding chip information. And these test units will be definitely disassembled revealing that chip information. And after that we realize that oh god, this is so easy that I can do it ( or something similar that just puts dwarf into bad light etc. )

Currently there is no information about what chip is used.

This still screams SCAM because after units are sent out, we WILL find out about that PCB . And then the truth is harsh...
cryptotore

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 12:57:16 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2018, 01:07:23 PM by cryptotore

I'll admit I have ordered a couple of units and paid in BTC, I'm praying this works out!
I've been on this forum for 5 years and havent been scammed yet, but this might be my first.

I see all the red flags as well, but I've chosen to gamble on this purchase.

I'll admit it, I'm scared af!

Edit:

I know there is atleast more than 1 person involved, based on writing-style. But they all sign with /July. Not sure what to think about that tbh!
melpheos

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 01:41:52 PM

Dwarf probably is scared to send out test units because we all know that currently there are stickers hiding chip information. And these test units will be definitely disassembled revealing that chip information. And after that we realize that oh god, this is so easy that I can do it ( or something similar that just puts dwarf into bad light etc. )

Currently there is no information about what chip is used.

This still screams SCAM because after units are sent out, we WILL find out about that PCB . And then the truth is harsh...
I dont think knowing the chip model and layout of the board is enough to make it work.
It's (according to dwarfminer) supposed to be an FPGA so you sill need to create the pathing and program it.
It's not a "any electronician can do it if you have the parts", far from it...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: