Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 07:34:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636404 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:18:01 AM

....Of course they can buy carbon credits to balance their evil deeds for the good cause or something.
You know, the really smart way to do that is to buy the carbon credits from yourself.

Wait...

Maybe there is a way to link bitcoin miners and carbon credits but I am not smart enough to see how.
Okay.  I will help you out with that.  Start with facts, then proceed to develop a logical, testable method.

We know ethanol is a carbon neutral fuel, that can be used to power vehicles and humans.  Ethanol, when drank by humans, causes a statistically significant decrease in travel as people say home in a state of total stupor.  Therefore, not only is purchasing alcohol encouraging the carbon neutral fuels industry, but it causes decreased use of fossil fuels.

Now, having established the facts, we need only develop the method.  And that would be to have bitcoin accepted for Jack Daniels by a bitcoin merchant, then to buy stock in that company.  Then you would be buying whiskey with your carbon credits from yourself, using bitcoin.

This would mean that the embarrassingly high electric bills for bitcoin miners would be okay, because you first of all wouldn't care after drinking half a bottle, therefore you would have the "high" ground, and you would have a moral issue to stand on, so you'd have the moral high ground.

I suggest this matter be further explored with bitcoin for weed, recognizing that was previously done by those courageous pioneers of RoadySilky, but darn....

They didn't have the carbon credits angle.

I can even see trading values for altcoins with all the empty JD bottles.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:20:42 AM

....Of course they can buy carbon credits to balance their evil deeds for the good cause or something.
You know, the really smart way to do that is to buy the carbon credits from yourself.

Wait...

Maybe there is a way to link bitcoin miners and carbon credits but I am not smart enough to see how.
Okay.  I will help you out with that.  Start with facts, then proceed to develop a logical, testable method.

We know ethanol is a carbon neutral fuel, that can be used to power vehicles and humans.  Ethanol, when drank by humans, causes a statistically significant decrease in travel as people say home in a state of total stupor.  Therefore, not only is purchasing alcohol encouraging the carbon neutral fuels industry, but it causes decreased use of fossil fuels.

Now, having established the facts, we need only develop the method.  And that would be to have bitcoin accepted for Jack Daniels by a bitcoin merchant, then to buy stock in that company.  Then you would be buying whiskey with your carbon credits from yourself, using bitcoin.

This would mean that the embarrassingly high electric bills for bitcoin miners would be okay, because you first of all wouldn't care after drinking half a bottle, therefore you would have the "high" ground, and you would have a moral issue to stand on, so you'd have the moral high ground.

I suggest this matter be further explored with bitcoin for weed, recognizing that was previously done by those courageous pioneers of RoadySilky, but darn....

They didn't have the carbon credits angle.

I can even see trading values for altcoins with all the empty JD bottles.

Cool....I'd still like to have a true-warmer, over the top donation of 10% of profits toward the welfare of the courageous stranded on the South Pole ice wannabees.

Shoeshoes?  made only of carbon neutral process, of course
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:39:58 AM

Conservators restoring an Antarctic exploration hut recently made a remarkable discovery: a small box of 22 exposed but unprocessed photographic negatives, frozen in a solid block of ice for nearly one hundred years.

These negatives were meticulously processed and restored by a Wellington photography conservator. Antarctic Heritage Trust executive director Nigel Watson said of these never-before-seen images:

"It's the first example that I'm aware of, of undeveloped negatives from a century ago from the Antarctic heroic era. There's a paucity of images from that expedition."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/27/on-ice-100-year-old-negative-discovered-in-antarctic-ice

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any scientist can tell those negatives suffered a lot from global warming: they've lost all their natural colors...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 08:58:09 AM

A decline in ocean cloud cover projected in climate models points to more than 5.6°F (3°C) of global warming coming in this century, on the high end of past global warming estimates, warn climate scientists in a new study.

“This degree of warming would make large swaths of the tropics uninhabitable by humans and cause most forests at low and middle latitudes to change to something else,” says Steven Sherwood of Australia’s University of New South Wales, who led the study.

The changes, Sherwood says, would take Earth “back to the climate of the dinosaurs or worse, and in a geologically minuscule period of time—less than the lifetime of a single tree.”

Atmospheric scientists have long asked how high atmospheric temperatures will rise if greenhouse gases double. This “climate sensitivity” estimate has emerged as a key climate question, with estimates ranging from a low of about 2.7°F (1.5°C) to highs of more than 8°F (4.5°C) of warming in this century.

While estimates have gone up and down, carbon dioxide concentrations have increased to a level about 40 percent higher than the preindustrial average in the last century, largely due to the burning of fossil fuels.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131231-climate-sensitivity-doubling-carbon-warmer/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling clouds!... I meant kids!"

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:07:23 AM

The many scientific links in this comprehensive article about global warming, by Dahr Jamail, on December 22nd, make clear that climate change is accelerating, and that our planet will probably be unlivable by 2100, if not by 2050.

The best explanation of the process that’s occurring is in this link within one of those scientific links: “The collapse of Arctic sea ice will change the reflective properties of the Arctic from 90% reflection of the sun’s rays to a 90% absorber of the sun’s energy. A vicious cycle of Arctic warming started between twenty and thirty years ago, when currents from the Atlantic and Pacific, warmed by greenhouse gases, carried their extra heat into the Arctic to initiate an accelerating decline in sea ice and increase in Arctic temperatures.”

The global warming that was previously predicted to occur within 2,000 years, is now predicted to occur within the lifetimes of some people who are alive even today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-zuesse/global-warming-is-rapidly_b_4499119.html?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:54:38 AM

Ive been noticing that where I live in AZ, Its been getting hotter and hotter during the Winters, like in It takes a while for things to cool down when the season starts.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:01:40 AM

Ive been noticing that where I live in AZ, Its been getting hotter and hotter during the Winters, like in It takes a while for things to cool down when the season starts.

According to the scientists, the temperature rise due to climate change is more pronounced in the polar regions, when compared to the regions which are close to the equator. Off course, temperatures are rising everywhere, but when compared to the steep change we have in regions like Siberia, the same in Arizona seems to be quite mild.

U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 12:18:45 PM

According to the scientists, the temperature rise due to climate change is more pronounced in the polar regions, when compared to the regions which are close to the equator. Off course, temperatures are rising everywhere, but when compared to the steep change we have in regions like Siberia, the same in Arizona seems to be quite mild.

Yea, One day its hot and the other day its cold as hell, I watched the movie Elysium and it lead me to believe if thats how the earth is going to be like in the next few decades.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 02:02:32 PM

Yea, One day its hot and the other day its cold as hell, I watched the movie Elysium and it lead me to believe if thats how the earth is going to be like in the next few decades.

Yes. Agreed. Summers are getting more warmer, while the winters are getting more chillier. The temperature variation is increasing everywhere.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:49:32 PM

If one day is hot and the other day it is cold as hell, those are definite proofs of human made climate change that will make Earth no longer proper for life in about 50 years, more or less.

The Chinese are secretly building something similar in the movie for the Koch Brothers, but it will be on the Moon. Doubling as a Mega Space Villa/Helium 3 Factory.
Sergios

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:52:35 PM

I'm also a scientist with multiple master degrees from excellent universities here in Europe. I think everyone needs to express themselves on every topic. Banning people that do not agree with your views is egocentric and very close minded. It reminds me of practices that have been utilized by many dictatorships (During regimes of Stalin and other Junta regimes).
I've written a lot of papers and some people in the academic world just focuses in on the "convenient " facts and ignore the rest (some never mention them). THis makes that particular research very bad in my opinion and this is also the view of many other professors.
Having said that do I think there is global warming happening? YES. Enough data, research is available to support that claim.
Is it "our fault"? Well that's where I'm not that certain. In My opinion it is a contribution of factors.  Vulcano activities ( some produce more CO2 than all the countries combine) and of course we all have contributed to it as well.
What I detest are people like AL Gore. Prominent members of society that want to profit of someone's fears to make a huge profit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8r-hNfHXXY
Here is that vulture being grilled about his power consumption, his financial transactions like having bought stocks of alternate energy companies (wind and solar power) before his move came out. After the movie there was such a buzz and the stocks of those companies skyrocketed. "Before he left he was 2 million dollar worth but now its 100 million". A nice pump and dump if I ever saw one  Smiley
It's because people like Al " big bankster" Gore that there are so many nay sayers.
 But there are much better and more reputable role models out there that are actually concerned about global warming.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:01:38 PM

I'm also a scientist with multiple master degrees from excellent universities here in Europe. I think everyone needs to express themselves on every topic. Banning people that do not agree with your views is egocentric and very close minded. It reminds me of practices that have been utilized by many dictatorships (During regimes of Stalin and other Junta regimes).
I've written a lot of papers and some people in the academic world just focuses in on the "convenient " facts and ignore the rest (some never mention them). THis makes that particular research very bad in my opinion and this is also the view of many other professors.
Having said that do I think there is global warming happening? YES. Enough data, research is available to support that claim.
Is it "our fault"? Well that's where I'm not that certain. In My opinion it is a contribution of factors.  Vulcano activities ( some produce more CO2 than all the countries combine) and of course we all have contributed to it as well.
What I detest are people like AL Gore. Prominent members of society that want to profit of someone's fears to make a huge profit.
Here is that vulture being grilled about his power consumption, his financial transactions like having bought stocks of alternate energy companies (wind and solar power) before his move came out. After the movie there was such a buzz and the stocks of those companies skyrocketed. "Before he left he was 2 million dollar worth but now its 100 million". A nice pump and dump if I ever saw one  Smiley
It's because people like Al " big bankster" Gore that there are so many nay sayers.
 But there are much better and more reputable role models out there that are actually concerned about global warming.

BRAVO!
Sergios

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:24:26 PM

Here is something to think about.. though I do not agree with everything is been said but still it makes me wonder on how  exact our "exact scientists" are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vapMyAvbsbg
Sergios

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:58:07 PM

This is my last contribution to this discussion.  Grin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLGKTZHzsZk
Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 08:51:29 PM

You can't disprove a good conspiracy theory. That's impossible.
As soon as you show them some facts the climate change deniers adjust the theory and make it even more ridiculous.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 12:30:23 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 12:42:58 AM by Spendulus

You can't disprove a good conspiracy theory. That's impossible.
As soon as you show them some facts the climate change deniers adjust the theory and make it even more ridiculous.
I think that's what is ridiculous is using a term like 'denier', which means you've bought into the Big Lie and are doing nothing but repeating the propaganda.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have been labeled a denier by zealots for arguing that 'climate sensitivity' was lower than they would have liked.

Today, the new IPCC report agrees with me.  Now who is a denier?  Those zealots or me?  If you can't answer that, the term is just the handy slander of the moment on those who argue with your prejudices.

“This degree of warming would make large swaths of the tropics uninhabitable by humans and cause most forests at low and middle latitudes to change to something else,” says Steven Sherwood of Australia’s University of New South Wales, who led the study.

The changes, Sherwood says, would take Earth “back to the climate of the dinosaurs or worse, and in a geologically minuscule period of time—less than the lifetime of a single tree.”

Atmospheric scientists have long asked how high atmospheric temperatures will rise if greenhouse gases double. This “climate sensitivity” estimate has emerged as a key climate question, with estimates ranging from a low of about 2.7°F (1.5°C) to highs of more than 8°F (4.5°C) of warming in this century......

So this guy, claiming high sensitivity, must be a Denier.  He's denying the reality of the consensus of scientists - the vast majority - as defined by the IPCC report #5.

Can't have it both ways.  Either claim science, or stand on belief.
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 03:48:13 AM

Would love to read some of your papers  Grin
U1TRA_L0RD

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:49:42 AM

If one day is hot and the other day it is cold as hell, those are definite proofs of human made climate change that will make Earth no longer proper for life in about 50 years, more or less.

The Chinese are secretly building something similar in the movie for the Koch Brothers, but it will be on the Moon. Doubling as a Mega Space Villa/Helium 3 Factory.

Well in that case, i might as well carry a lethal dose of heroin and stock pile on weapons to survive, and when I'm done for, I will overdose on the heroin.

Why does'nt the United States do something about it? Maybe we do need libertarians to do the work.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 07:08:40 AM

Why the need to travel all over the world to conferences with 1000 of printed materials, big limos, private jets, buffet with out of season fruits... to show slides about people using charcoal or wood in African tribes to feed themselves instead of using solar panels?

Skype? Google hangout? I. Don't. Get it.

Sunglasses and light brown mandela T Shirt are not included.
http://youtu.be/IqGA31J-LRQ
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:56:20 AM

Who knows? May be in 50 years, technology will become so advanced that humans may be able to live in very high temperatures as well.  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: