Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:22:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636399 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:50:14 AM

The only thing I know for sure is that it will get hotter or colder or stay the same.  The last one would be least likely IMO.
Interestingly....it's not just climate that Reddit is banning.

Anything that mentions NSA, SNOWDEN, or BITCOIN!!!!

http://yourfreebitcoin.blogspot.com/2014/04/reddit-rtechnology-in-nsa-bitcoin-and.html

Yep. that is why I added this guy as a link near my name.

Wait....wouldn't everything have been simpler if they had just banned anything having to do with the word "OBAMA"?

I wonder....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 12:53:58 AM

Find out for whom the majority of the "Reddit crew" vote for and you'll have your answer.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 06:10:12 AM

Lead Author Of UN IPCC Report On Global Warming Says Paper Was Rewritten For Political Reasons…

A top US academic has dramatically revealed how government officials forced him to change a hugely influential scientific report on climate change to suit their own interests.

Harvard professor Robert Stavins electrified the worldwide debate on climate change on Friday by sensationally publishing a letter online in which he spelled out the astonishing interference.

He said the officials, representing ‘all the main countries and regions of the world’ insisted on the changes in a late-night meeting at a Berlin conference centre two weeks ago.

Three quarters of the original version of the document ended up being deleted.

Prof Stavins claimed the intervention amounted to a serious ‘conflict of interest’ between scientists and governments. His revelation is significant because it is rare for climate change experts to publicly question the process behind the compilation of reports on the subject.

Prof Stavins, Harvard’s Professor of Business and Government, was one of two ‘co-ordinating lead authors’ of a key report published by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) earlier this month.

His chapter of the 2,000-page original report concerned ways countries can co-operate to reduce carbon emissions.

IPCC reports are supposed to be scrupulously independent as they give scientific advice to governments around the world to help them shape energy policies – which in turn affect subsidies and domestic power bills.

Prof Stavins said the government officials in Berlin fought to make big changes to the full report’s ‘summary for policymakers’. This is the condensed version usually cited by the world’s media and politicians. He said their goal was to protect their ‘negotiating stances’ at forthcoming talks over a new greenhouse gas reduction treaty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2614097/Top-climate-experts-sensational-claim-government-meddling-crucial-UN-report.html

counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:11:56 AM

Some Reddit forum is run by a bunch of free speech Nazis control freaks, got it, check.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 07:00:31 PM

Some Reddit forum is run by a bunch of free speech Nazis control freaks, got it, check.

Make anything online the "definite portal of what is hot now" and you will have the same situation all the time. No matter what. If there is a portal somewhere some would see themselves as guard dogs. Just like when you need to go through the bouncer at a hot night club. Bitcointalk was attacked because it commands so much authority in this community, as being a "portal". As soon as P2P forum platform is going to be in place in the next few months, then the very nature of abuse moderation and free speech Nazis control freaks will vanish.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 02:39:38 PM

Lead Author Of UN IPCC Report On Global Warming Says Paper Was Rewritten For Political Reasons…....government officials in Berlin fought to make big changes to the full report’s ‘summary for policymakers’. This is the condensed version usually cited by the world’s media and politicians. He said their goal was to protect their ‘negotiating stances’ at forthcoming talks over a new greenhouse gas reduction treaty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2614097/Top-climate-experts-sensational-claim-government-meddling-crucial-UN-report.html

Hey, what's your problem?  There's big money in getting the science to say the right things.  And if you play the game right, you can get some of it, too!

Smiley
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2014, 03:17:50 PM

Science is all about questioning the "experts".  Once that stops, it is no longer science.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 03:16:12 AM

Make anything online the "definite portal of what is hot now" and you will have the same situation all the time. No matter what. If there is a portal somewhere some would see themselves as guard dogs. Just like when you need to go through the bouncer at a hot night club. Bitcointalk was attacked because it commands so much authority in this community, as being a "portal". As soon as P2P forum platform is going to be in place in the next few months, then the very nature of abuse moderation and free speech Nazis control freaks will vanish.

Interesting points.  I'll be looking forward to this time, I myself can't stand control freaks.  I'm not very informed on the P2P platforms and their uses but your post has made me very excited to learn more.
ndonnard

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:27:41 AM

I heard that we spoke of global cooling in the 70's. Where the global cooling people similar to the warming deniers of today?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 02:45:15 PM

Interesting points.  I'll be looking forward to this time, I myself can't stand control freaks.  I'm not very informed on the P2P platforms and their uses but your post has made me very excited to learn more.

Here we go: http://cointelegraph.com/post/what_s_in_a_word_darkmarket_becomes_openbazaar#.U2Ou1vldV8E
It will be a platform impossible to shut down.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 12:39:20 AM

I heard that we spoke of global cooling in the 70's. Where the global cooling people similar to the warming deniers of today?
No.  The Coolers of then are, in many cases, the Warmers of today.

You know, gotta be trendy...
tins

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 12:41:18 AM

So, uhh, is the Earth getting warmer?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:17:54 AM

http://youtu.be/m8OSi8M5YD0

Staffers of the alt-weekly newspaper Willamette Week recently met with Oregon Republican U.S. Senate candidates seeking an endorsement and things got quite dramatic after one reporter was caught scribbling "blah blah blah" on his notepad while a candidate spoke.

Jim Romenesko flagged down the dramatic clip, which shows candidate Mark Callahan chastising reporter Nigel Jaquiss for mocking Jo Rae Perkins' rambling answer to a question (she was on the telephone and could not see the offending notepad).

"I see what you're writing down there," Callahan scolded the reporter. "You just wrote down 'blah blah blah blah' for everything that Jo Rae said. Jo Rae is a respectful woman. Why are you not respecting her by writing 'blah blah blah blah' in your notepad?"

The moderator tried to calm Callahan by declaring that they will now move on, asking the candidate for his views on climate change.

"It's a myth," Callahan replied.

"Where are you on the Easter bunny?" Jaquiss interjected.

Of course, the IT-consultant-turned-political-candidate did not find that amusing: Are these really the questions that I was called here to answer? I called you out for putting "blah blah blah" on your notepad on now you're asking me questions like this? Really? Really? Are we talking about this now? How about you ask a very serious and respectful question instead of asking a little childish question?

The moderator sternly told Callahan he'd like to move on and ask the climate change question to the other candidates. "And if you're not going to let me, I'm going to ask you to leave, okay?" he said. "That's two strikes."

"Who do you think you are?" Callahan replied. And then he was dismissed from the room, but not before chiding "disrespectful, thin-skinned liberals."

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:27:35 AM

So, uhh, is the Earth getting warmer?
Well, ya.  In the Northern hemisphere, summer is coming.

But in the Southern hemisphere, winter is coming.

SO...IT'S GETTING WARMER, AND COOLER!
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 03:45:08 PM

When a team of researchers from the University of Delaware traveled to Africa two years ago to search for exemplary chickens, they weren't looking for plump thighs or delicious eggs.
They were seeking out birds that could survive a hotter planet.
The researchers were in the vanguard of food scientists, backed by millions of dollars from the federal government, racing to develop new breeds of farm animals that can stand up to the hazards of global warming.
Some climate-change activists dismiss the work, which is just getting underway, as a distraction and a concession to industrial-style agriculture, which they blame for compounding the world's environmental problems. Those leading the experiments, however, say new, heat-resistant breeds of farm animals will be essential to feeding the world as climate change takes hold.
The experiments reflect a continued shift in the federal government's response to climate change. With efforts to reduce carbon emissions lagging behind what most scientists believe will be needed to forestall further warming, the government increasingly is looking for ways to protect key industries from the impact.
In agriculture, "we are dealing with the challenge of difficult weather conditions at the same time we have to massively increase food production" to accommodate larger populations and a growing demand for meat, said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.
That means efforts like the one here, in which Carl Schmidt and his colleagues are trying to map the genetic code of bizarre-looking African naked-neck chickens to see if their ability to withstand heat can be bred into flocks of U.S. broilers.
"The game is changing since the climate is changing," Schmidt said. "We have to start now to anticipate what changes we have to make in order to feed 9 billion people," citing global-population estimates for 2050.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-climate-chickens-20140504,0,2628316.story#ixzz30lJGnhIc

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2014, 08:18:26 PM

"The game is changing since the climate is changing," Schmidt said. "We have to start now to anticipate what changes we have to make in order to feed 9 billion people," citing global-population estimates for 2050.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-climate-chickens-20140504,0,2628316.story#ixzz30lJGnhIc

Or we really don't have to do any of that.  But it would MAKE US FEEL BETTER TO DO SO....

“For most people who are anxious about climate change, the anxiety is escalated by the fact they do not see an answer or a way to make a change. Worry plus powerlessness leads to distress,” says Levitt, who is also a professor in the psychiatry department at the University of Toronto.

“The answer, on a personal basis, to this kind of helpless distress is ‘mastery’: that is, helping people to master small tasks that reduce their carbon footprint can lead to a greater sense of control and efficacy for that person – and with that a reduction in anxiety. Can one person taking action to reduce their carbon footprint change global warming? Who knows. But it can relieve the distress that comes from anxiety mixed with impotence that affects a growing number of people in our society,” he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/youth-anxiety-on-the-rise-amid-changing-climate/article18372258/
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:19:05 AM

extended years of life—that fossil fuels can bring.

The left wants to stop industrialization—even if the hypothesis of catastrophic, man-made global warming is false. John Feffer, my colleague at the Institute for Policy Studies, wrote in the Dec. 8, 2009, Huffington Post that "even if the mercury weren't rising" we should bring "the developing world into the postindustrial age in a sustainable manner." He sees the "climate crisis [as] precisely the giant lever with which we can, following Archimedes, move the world in a greener, more equitable direction."

I started to suspect that the climate-change data were dubious a decade ago while teaching statistics. Computer models used by the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to determine the cause of the six-tenths of one degree Fahrenheit rise in global temperature from 1980 to 2000 could not statistically separate fossil-fueled and natural trends.

Then, as now, the computer models simply built in the assumption that fossil fuels are the culprit when temperatures rise, even though a similar warming took place from 1900 to 1940, before fossil fuels could have caused it. The IPCC also claims that the warming, whatever its cause, has slightly increased the length of droughts, the frequency of floods, the intensity of storms, and the rising of sea levels, projecting that these impacts will accelerate disastrously. Yet even the IPCC acknowledges that the average global temperature today remains unchanged since 2000, and did not rise one degree as the models predicted.

But it is as an Africanist, rather than a statistician, that I object most strongly to "climate justice." Where is the justice for Africans when universities divest from energy companies and thus weaken their ability to explore for resources in Africa? Where is the justice when the U.S. discourages World Bank funding for electricity-generation projects in Africa that involve fossil fuels, and when the European Union places a "global warming" tax on cargo flights importing perishable African goods? Even if the wildest claims about the current impact of fossil fuels on the environment and the models predicting the future impact all prove true and accurate, Africa should be exempted from global restraints as it seeks to modernize.

With 15% of the world's people, Africa produces less than 5% of carbon-dioxide emissions. With 4% of global population, America produces 25% of these emissions. In other words, each American accounts for 20 times the emissions of each African. We are not rationing our electricity. Why should Africa, which needs electricity for the sort of income-producing enterprises and infrastructure that help improve life expectancy? The average in Africa is 59 years—in America it's 79. Increased access to electricity was crucial in China's growth, which raised life expectancy to 75 today from 59 in 1968.

According to the World Bank, 24% of Africans have access to electricity and the typical business loses power for 56 days each year. Faced with unreliable power, businesses turn to diesel generators, which are three times as expensive as the electricity grid. Diesel also produces black soot, a respiratory health hazard. By comparison, bringing more-reliable electricity to more Africans would power the cleaning of water in villages, where much of the population still lives, and replace wood and dung fires as the source of heat and lighting in shacks and huts, removing major sources of disease and death. In the cities, reliable electricity would encourage businesses to invest and reinvest rather than send their profits abroad.

Mindful of the benefits, the Obama administration's Power Africa proposal and the World Bank are trying to double African access to electricity. But they have been hamstrung by the opposition of their political base to fossil fuels—even though off-grid and renewable power from the sun, tides and wind is still too unreliable, too hard to transmit, and way too expensive for Africa to build and maintain as its primary source of power.

In 2010 the left tried to block a World Bank loan for a new coal-fired plant in South Africa. Fortunately, the loan was approved (with the U.S. abstaining). The drive to provide electricity for the poor has been perhaps the greatest achievement of South Africa's post-apartheid governments.

Standing on the mountainside at night in Cape Town, overlooking the "Coloured" township of Mitchell's Plain and the African township of Khayelitsha, you can now see a twinkling blanket of bulbs. How terrible to think that so many people in the West would rather block such success stories in the name of unproved science.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303380004579521791400395288

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 06:45:58 AM

Let's Call It 'Climate Disruption,' White House Science Adviser Suggests (Again)

http://news.sciencemag.org/climate/2014/05/lets-call-it-climate-disruption-white-house-science-adviser-suggests-again

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 07:51:27 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2014, 08:05:27 AM by AnonyMint

Our well-edumacated idealistic youth will surely guide us to sal(i)vation.

"Protester Paul Connor sits on the lawns of Parliament House on day 34 of his hunger strike calling for climate change action, on Dec. 10, 2009, in Canberra, Australia."

They're indoctrinating my daughter in 8th grade that the man-made global warming HOAX is an undeniable fact.

Since the warming trend didn't occur as predicted, the globalist manipulators have changed the theme to "man-made global climate change" and now they are proposing "man-made global climate DISRUPTION":

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=374873.msg6568326#msg6568326

Can you say P-R-O-P-A-G-A-N-D-A.

The purpose of course is geopolitical control.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
sana8410

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 03:56:41 PM

Science is all about questioning the "experts".  Once that stops, it is no longer science.

wasnt the basic of science was to have a hypothesis, questions to the unkowns, and to show facts? that was my view of science was suppose to be based on.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: