Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:27:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 200 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [SKY] Skycoin Launch Announcement  (Read 381508 times)
hill

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 03:49:59 PM

1 million coins (1%) will be sold for 50k in Bitcoin.

So from an investors point of view, we'd need to believe in a $5m valuation at launch. That's almost top ten territory, market cap wise.

What's the plan for distributing the remaining 99%?

Maidsafe is raising 6 million dollars at 120 million dollar valuation.

Ethereum is raising 30 million at over a 100 million dollar valuation.

Ripple IPOed  at over a 100 million dollar valuation.

Skycoin is IPOing at 5 million dollars and only raising 50k. The IPO is oversubscribed. We are doing the IPO at such a low price so that more people can get coins early.

Reasons for the Structure of the IPO:

The reason a 50k IPO was chosen was because we have experience with previous coins. We know investors who buy up allotments of coin in the IPO, wait until the price goes up 30x and then DUMP the coin, completely destroying the equity of the other coin holders.  A coin going from a 1 million to 50 million dollar market cap, with 30% of the IPO investors dumping, needs between 5 and 15 million dollars capital inflow just to maintain the price. Skycoin is not a pump and dump and a smaller IPO reduces the impact of speculator dumping and improve price stability.

A majority of the Skycoin will be distributed to the user base within the first five years. We learned the mistakes of Ripple and will not repeat them.

We believe that distributing all the coins at once, hurts the users who came in later and are committed to a gradual, Bitcoin like distribution. Mastercoins and other coins that did a single large IPO, failed to create an incentive for users who came in after the IPO and there was no financial incentive for later users to adapt the coin.

Coin Distribution:

We are looking at different models for distributing the rest of the coins and we have a few options.

1. Release 0.1% of the coins per day and taper the release rate over time
2. Give coins away as subsidies and incentives for running mesh network nodes (example: $200 subsidy per mesh network node)
3. Hoard all the coins so we feel rich
4. Developer bounties

We like the mesh network node subsidy, because it requires buying hardware (proof of burn), can be verified and increases the value of Skycoin. We are able to verify the geographic location and setup of the nodes, through third parties.

The official policy is to keep Skycoin scarce and to protect and grow the equity of the existing Skycoin equity holders. This means, that we will give out coins for things that may increase the value of Skycoin, but will not give out coins randomly or dilute the existing stakeholders.

The official policy is to promote price stability and gradual appreciation.

it is good idea! skycoin seems more fair! but the fairness cannot guarantee its success: the early investors deserve greater profits!

Good Luck For Everyone!
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 04:05:06 PM

5 Mio$ for 1% go to the dev and they have still 99% of the coins. Nice work. Is there really just one person which is stupid enough to send money?Huh? Really?Huh?

Wanna bet? Wink

There are so many simpleminded people on this board that it wouldn't surprise me at all if the full 100BTC are raised within 2 weeks....

As I stated before, you'd have to be an imbecile to invest under the current terms. 50 BTC for 1% ? Megalomaniac dev, that's all I can say.

it is actually 100 BTC and a total marketcap of 10,000 BTC. Totally ridiculous for a new coin that has nothing to show yet...

skycoin (OP)

Activity: 498
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 04:13:58 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2014, 05:19:09 PM by skycoin

Skycoin Philosophy:
- complex systems cannot be secure
- simplicity over complexity
- decentralized but pragmatic
- emphasis on usability

A majority of the Skycoin will be distributed to the user base within the first five years. We learned the mistakes of Ripple and will not repeat them.

The developers will have less than 50% of the total coins at the end of five years.

It's decentralised or it's not...?

+1. I have the same question.

To prototype Skycoin, we used a mix of centralized and decentralized components for prototyping.  We prototyped Skycoin and the emphasis was getting each component working. Over time the centralized components have been replaced by fully decentralized components. Skycoin will be fully independent of any developer run servers and infrastructure by the time Obelisk is finished.

Right now
- the ledger is decentralized, everyone has a copy of the transaction ledger
- transactions are decentralized and the transaction relay is peer to peer
- blockchain consensus requires Obelisk for full decentralization

For the mesh net, we will use a centralized routing database and payment clearing, to get it working as soon as possible. We have less than two months to do the IPO and get the meshnet working to stay on schedule. We will decentralize those components as soon as possible. However the priority is getting the network working as soon as possible.

The meshnet balances being exchanged are microtransactions that should not pollute the blockchain, so we are creating a system where the balances are stored and moved around internally by a third party and automatically withdrawn to a wallet after a threshold balance is reached. The current Skycoin implementation allows coins to be divisible to 6 decimal places, but rejects transactions whose outputs are not a multiple of a whole coin, to reduce blockchain spam. This system will be replaced by the decentralized Gateway Protocol at some point.

The idea is that we are making it easy to move around subcoin balances off chain and do microtransactions without polluting the blockchain. Then when your balance is large enough enough, it can be withdrawn to your wallet.

Ideological Differences in Skycoin's Decentralization Philosophy:

"Decentralization" means a lot of things to different people. Bitcoin has an ideology of "decentralization" in terms of zero trust and zero counter party risk. Bitcoin takes an ideologically motivated stance against trusted third parties. Skycoin accepts that complete technical decentralization is necessary, but rejects Bitcoin's ideological insistence against trusted third parties. For instance, anyone using and exchange or making a purchase is creating a trust relationship.

Skycoin is not ideologically opposed to trusted third parties, as long as the user is the one choosing the third parties.

Bitcoin Decentralization: No Trusted Third Parties
Skycoin Decentralization: No Trusted Third Parties When Possible, but Trusted 3rd Parties are OK when technically necessary and where choice of the third party is under control of the user

The Bitcoin developers would reject any feature on ideological grounds, that would introduce a third third party relationship into any officially sanctioned part of the Bitcoin protocol, because it would compromise the ideological purity of Bitcoin's decentralization philosophy. Skycoin has technical decentralization but accepts that trusted third parties are sometimes a necessary evil (example: you cannot currently have exchanges without using a trusted third party).

For example, If there are multiple exchanges and Skycoin has an exchange API, that API is interacting with a trusted third party. This is OK in Skycoin as long as we dont force the users to use a particular exchange and they choose which exchange they are extending trust to.

In Skycoin, 3rd party escrow in the protocol is OK as long as the user gets to choose which escrow authorities they will accept. The Bitcoin developers are ideologically opposed to any third parties and would not include sanction for escrow in the protocol or client, unless it can be enforced mathematically and under zero trust assumptions.

The Bitcoin developers are ideologically opposed to official support for anything that introduces trusted third parties into the Bitcoin protocol. Skycoin is slightly more pragmatic and accepts trusted third parties as a necessary evil for doing necessary things conveniently.

For instance, the Bitcoin developers are ideologically opposed to a check pointing system. Skycoin will have a check pointing system where the hash of the current consensus block will be signed by a particular public key and broadcasted. The purpose being to detect network failures or a successful attack and trigger an alert for human action (to detect, not to take a specific action which may introduce a security vulnerability through the checkpoint system). Such a system can be extremely useful for determining if the local client state has diverged from the network because of an attack or manipulation and for prompting human action. If the checkpoints were published by the Skycoin developers, this would introduce a single point of centralization and possible security vulnerability. However, if the check pointing system is a service and trusted community members and other large Skycoin stakeholders are each able to publish their own checkpoints and each user is able to choose whose checkpoints their clients will verify against and to verify against multiple parties (no single point of failure), then it is acceptable within the Skycoin decentralization philosophy, but would be unacceptable in Bitcoin because it introduces a trusted third party.

That is what "decentralized but pragmatic" means.

Skycoin Controversy:

Skycoin will receive a lot of criticism from hardcore Bitcoin people, because Skycoin is taking the perfect ideologically pure, identity less, trustless, creditless garden of Eden that Bitcoin has created and reintroducing the sin of trust and credit that is required for day to day financial transactions.  Bitcoin takes an ideological perspective on money as a "hard" mathematical commodity concept, but Skycoin takes the perspectives of money as arising out of social relationships. The messaging systems (systems for communication), personal block chains (identity and markets) play a much larger role in the long term vision of Skycoin than Bitcoin, which merely aspires to be a mathematical perfect form of commodity money.

Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 04:19:50 PM

When will the IPO starts?

Stop asking until the boss decide
upekha

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

TDTPJR-P5SGXY-UU2OS6-BPTUV4-NJYQFT-6CWYZP-IA2W

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 04:22:59 PM

interested!

NEM - New Economy Movement
eluosi

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 05:47:57 PM

interested in
luneng

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 05:58:36 PM

interested!When is lauch?
roserose

Activity: 68

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 06:09:27 PM

I have told my sister about Skycoin.

It is a refreshing approach。

PeterLee

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 06:58:33 PM

Skycoin Controversy:
Skycoin will receive a lot of criticism from hardcore Bitcoin people, because Skycoin is taking the perfect ideologically pure, identity less, trustless, creditless garden of Eden that Bitcoin has created and reintroducing the sin of trust and credit that is required for day to day financial transactions.  Bitcoin takes an ideological perspective on money as a "hard" mathematical commodity concept, but Skycoin takes the perspectives of money as arising out of social relationships. The messaging systems (systems for communication), personal block chains (identity and markets) play a much larger role in the long term vision of Skycoin than Bitcoin, which merely aspires to be a mathematical perfect form of commodity money.

Glad the dev revealed more information about the Skycoin project. It is important information. It is nothing wrong to be like Ripple as Long as you believe it works better, at least before you move to more decentralized period as you planed. Now it all makes more sense.

The natural question followed will be: why do you think you will build a better system than Ripple?
michael8888

Activity: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 07:25:27 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2014, 03:47:43 AM by michael8888

Hello Skycoin team

I am a chinese financial analyst.I have three degrees--Finance,Business,Economic。

I conversant with local  laws, regulations and norms in China.

You can save some attorneys fees.

I can programming too.(html js ...)--You are more willing to try new things.

In fact I can writing programs in golang a little. Wink

I am in "ASTA xie " 's QQ group,he is  the author of《build web application with golang》.

I can help you to  build its web site in China.

My father is a fighter pilot.So I love Sky and fly.

I can make the chinese understand your intentions.

I have some better and more resources in China,that can propel your career forward.

transfer to chinese already , please confirm the follow link

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577089.msg6299665#msg6299665

Good luck!
schnötzel
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1041

Bitcoin is a bit**

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 07:33:44 PM

Launchdate:

When it´s done!  Grin  

First post was 22 dec.  Would be the Duke Nukem of Coins 
minuchi.str

Activity: 32

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 08:45:19 PM

interesting coin. but don't mess up with distribution. will be a failure. developers deserve to have some percentage for their work. but keeping 99% in their hands is too much
appl

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:13:23 PM

I think the dev want sell 1% at each time.

so every time dev team dump those 1% . the price will expected to have 50% decrease.

Is this your plan?

This is the most crazy idea i can imagine. Good luck with that.

i don't think this team know anything about marketing, Even though if this corrected i still doubt their marketing skills.

cryptomite

Activity: 304

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:18:37 PM

Skycoin: IPO 1% of coins and distribute the majority of the coins to the userbase over time (within five years)

Skycoin is trying a new model.

Your new model is to sell 1% and hold 99% now to build a market with high price then sell(distribute) 99% later with a better price. What you are trying to say is that you devs want most of profit, not for the investors.

Fix this and put these coins in the hands of the investors. You are killing the coin with the distribution

appl

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:23:34 PM

I think the dev team already show their greedy and stupid.

and lost credit

appl

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:42:09 PM

just feel very interesting.

lovely89

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:32:37 AM

1% does sound a little irrational. Something like 10% for the IPO over a set period of time with no set price but with a limit of how much one can contribute.
It's understandable that you want a different method to other coins but put yourself in the investors shoes.
Ps. Believe it or not but not everyone will be in it for a pump and dump.

Bitrated user: vanlovely.
Sanglotslongs

Activity: 448
Merit: 280

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:41:18 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2014, 12:55:30 PM by Sanglotslongs

Skycoin want to sell 1% oh their coins to avoid pump and dump from early investors.
Skycoin want to distribute 99% of their coins to devs in 5 years to avoid pump and dump from early investors... Oh wait.

With this way they will create mega-giga-whales. 1% hold by X investors and few devs (I think you are not an army, let's say 100 devs max) can hold 20% total coins per year. Very great.

Do you know what "investor" means ? You will do an IPO but cut down early investors profit ? This is not a very good idea.
It's better that give 100% total coins to devs, but please, 1% - 99% is just a flame to early investor.
provenceday
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:13:59 PM

skycoin china community.

QQ group: 339204513 

welcome to join us.
provenceday
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:14:57 PM

Hello Skycoin team

I am a chinese financial analyst.I have three degrees--Finance,Business,Economic。

I conversant with local  laws, regulations and norms in China.

You can save some attorneys fees.

I can programming too.(html js ...)--You are more willing to try new things.

In fact I can writing programs in golang a little. Wink

I am in "ASTA xie " 's QQ group,he is  the author of《build web application with golang》.

I can help you to  build its web site in China.

My father is a fighter pilot.So I love Sky and fly.

I can make the chinese understand your intentions.

I have some better and more resources in China,that can propel your career forward.

transfer to chinese already , please confirm the follow link

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577089.msg6299665#msg6299665

Good luck!

nice work, send you a pm
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 200 »
  Print  

Jump to: