Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:02:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 [411] 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276315 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Eadeqa

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:17:32 PM

The comparison you're making is unreasonable: Nxt fundraising was cut off early, with no warning.

It was open for 2 months and was cut off on Nov 18 and was launched officially on Nov 24 with coins distributed to everyone who joined.   You are correct there was no cut off announcement, but people could buy million per BTC for many weeks after the launch. Are you saying there were hundreds waiting for last minute? I doubt cut off announcement a week earlier would have made any big difference.

Nomi, Shan, Adnan, Noshi, Nxt, Adn Khn
NXT-GZYP-FMRT-FQ9K-3YQGS
https://github.com/Lafihh/encryptiontest
Mrrr

Activity: 617
Merit: 528

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:20:36 PM

@TheMightyX

You know that these Pyramids weren't build by slaves ,but by day laborers with access to public housing and basic healthcare right? Smiley

I've been trying to stay as far away as possible from both MSC and NXT. Both exhibit greed beyond belief. I like the NXT AE a lot though so lately I have been a bit inconsequent. XCP is nice because the dev team doesn't have any stake beyond what they burned themselves.

So for now let them do their stuff. Don't go on a grand marketing campaign and just let it flow. I'm quite sure this one is going to blossom in the near future. Still got my XCP at my burn address Smiley

Regarding the swarm IPO. Whether they are legit or not. Its not going to hurt the XCP protocol like the Maidsafe cash-grab did. Maidsafe made the 'MSC foundation' richer. The Swarm IPO will not make the Counterparty team richer. Huge difference IMO. Neutrality...

burp...
cityglut

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:29:31 PM

In my opinion there is one reason and one reason only

Marketing

Advertising

I have seen NXT advertisements on youtube and on website banners,
they are using google adwords and are paying a good marketing team
they have a futuristic video, with some robotic voice telling people that it is the future of currency, relating it to a digital dna strand,

COunterparty marketing video is a joke (the bat man themed one)
i am surprised that there isn;t a huge XCP stake holder who isn;t trying to organise this

IF everyone contributes funds to counterparty, so we have a total of around $10,000 + in marketing and advertising budget,

we might stand a chance

otherwise XCP will never make it to the top 5

----------------------------------------------------------------

PLAN

Raise funds -

Contact video marketing agency -

http://www.visionreel.com
or
http://www.smarteyeproductions.com
or
http://www.aspectfilmandvideo.co.uk/about.html
or
http://www.digitalsnowball.com
or
Any video marketing agency which could work

Then, Upload Video on counterparty website

Advertise on Youtube,
Use google adwords

TIme frame - 1 - 2 months

Result - Success (hopefully)

We have created a donation address for marketing: 1BzusS7hJ4ZwoioG1rcnCVo8331TryCkhP. These funds will be used towards making a promotional video.

We have put contacts out to create a video and will continue to do so. If anyone has suggestions, PM me.
McDoxy

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 09:37:00 PM

For now, we should point out that proof-of-stake mining has inherent problems, which, to my knowledge, neither BCNext nor anyone else in the Nxt community has addressed. In particular, the well-known "nothing at stake" attack, by which miners can mine on multiple blockchains at no cost to themselves; this is in contrast to proof-of-work, where the resources one uses to mine are depleted in the process of mining. "Transparent forging" doesn't solve this problem, and, in any case, transparent forging has not even been implemented yet.

This is what a Nxt dev had to say about the "nothing-at-stake" problem:

If you have a computer that can forge a very large number of accounts in parallel without using any CPU and can also fund these large number of accounts without costing any NXT, then sure nothing is at stake

In my experience though you need to fund each separate acct with NXT (wait long enough) and then even a small amount of CPU time, multiplied by millions of accounts, well that seems to take some CPU power after all.
So, if you ignore the millions in NXT fees to create the accounts and the CPU power needed to forge on those millions of accounts, then you can try to monkey around with grabbing all the forging fees.

economically it doesnt make sense as there is NXT at stake. I think the premise of "nothing at stake" is that it rhymes with "proof of stake" so it has to make sense. It seems the assumption is that they can buy an arbitrary amount of NXT for free, so maybe much closer to genesis this would have been an issue, but now it is nonsensical.
cityglut

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 09:41:11 PM

For now, we should point out that proof-of-stake mining has inherent problems, which, to my knowledge, neither BCNext nor anyone else in the Nxt community has addressed. In particular, the well-known "nothing at stake" attack, by which miners can mine on multiple blockchains at no cost to themselves; this is in contrast to proof-of-work, where the resources one uses to mine are depleted in the process of mining. "Transparent forging" doesn't solve this problem, and, in any case, transparent forging has not even been implemented yet.

This is what a Nxt dev had to say about the "nothing-at-stake" problem:

If you have a computer that can forge a very large number of accounts in parallel without using any CPU and can also fund these large number of accounts without costing any NXT, then sure nothing is at stake

In my experience though you need to fund each separate acct with NXT (wait long enough) and then even a small amount of CPU time, multiplied by millions of accounts, well that seems to take some CPU power after all.
So, if you ignore the millions in NXT fees to create the accounts and the CPU power needed to forge on those millions of accounts, then you can try to monkey around with grabbing all the forging fees.

economically it doesnt make sense as there is NXT at stake. I think the premise of "nothing at stake" is that it rhymes with "proof of stake" so it has to make sense. It seems the assumption is that they can buy an arbitrary amount of NXT for free, so maybe much closer to genesis this would have been an issue, but now it is nonsensical.

That has nothing to do with mining on multiple chains at once.
freedomfighter

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 09:43:49 PM

In many ways, BTC, XCP and other cryptos are more like shares of stock in a company than dollar bills.  XCP even more so than others.  This is the whole "DAC" concept (Distributed Autonomous Corporation) and by owning XCP, you are kind of a shareholder of Counterparty, and anything done on Counterparty which adds value to the Counterparty ecosystem also adds value to your holdings, because it increases the demand for XCP.

I completely disagree with the above statement. The moment you detached the core token from most or all functions of the system, you remained with a free software/platform that can function with 20000 assets on it + 500 other coins not called XCP and WITH XCP used JUST for the 20000x0.5 XCPs (0.5%) that were burned to create these assets. That's it. 0.5%.

XCP is no share. In fact there can be corporations with DAC functions on top of CP platform, paying dividends in xBTC, issuing shares in XBTC, trading in xBTC, and being worth 200 times more than the counterparty platform itself. BEINg decentralized and free CP has no shares to offer and is in fact selling itself short by "charging" $1 or whatever (0.5XCP) ($1!!!!) for the right to use the technology (unless this is just for the beta period and to gain traction which I can sort of understand).

The share analogy is just wishful thinking. Even marketing won't help as long as XCP doesnt become mandatory to those that start using the platform because of our marketing. Right now we can spend marketing donations and attract more asset issuers that can create a great business without requiring XCP AT ALL. so why do that? (BTW I donated to the disappearing act of halfcab and he has been silent for 3 months)

The only thing that will drive value is a successful and popular betting platform and advanced financial products that will require actual XCP to be Use. Another way is for 20000 assets to actually require 200000 XCPs, and not 10000 which will create scarcity.  

BUT shares? sorry but not true. as someone wrote: imagine apple and IBM creating applications or DACs on top of counterparty. will it move XCP? just in an indirect way by maybe attrracting a big betting company who would feel that they can trust the software to build on it if APPLE did. BUT overstock or apple of IBM on CP by itself for 0.5XCP will do nothing to XCP. It will indeed make the technology more credible but than we'll keep selling it for 0.5XCPs.

deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 10:08:15 PM

It's irrelevant how high the competition can climb, but very important how hard they can fall. I'm sure people investing in Madoff were also like "wow look at all the money!" before everything broke apart.

Sorry to be so blunt, but Counterparty is not another pump & dump coin. You can't expect it to explode to the moon and back underground within a week. It's a working, developing eco-system. If you want a quick buck, go buy BillCosbyCoin or whatever the day its released and sell it once it hits coinmarketcap. If you want to be part something greater, use and expand Counterparty.

It doesn't take that much research to realize Counterparty has serious competitive advantages and will be around for quite a while.

Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 10:46:28 PM

Everyone that wants the price of XCP to go up is just waiting for the betting feature of Counterparty to be more widely adopted. That will be the main price driver for XCP.

The adoption of the Counterparty protocol and adoption of betting related businesses which use the Counterparty protocol are two different things and while they both affect the price of XCP, one is clearly more focused and directly related to a rapid increase in the price of XCP.

While Counterparty does do marketing and business development (quite a bit actually...), businesses like xbet.io, my soon-to-come site, and other sites that come later, are all going to market their businesses and Counterparty will benefit from that exposure. In return, those new businesses will benefit from Counterparty's previous marketing efforts and the earlier success of the pioneers in this space like Digital Tangible Trust, Swarm, and so on.

This time period is a very early slice of what will become a full and active Counterparty ecosystem where the promotion of various businesses and the promotion of the Counterparty Protocol has a synergistic effect for both the protocol and new businesses that enter the Counterparty ecosystem.

It's important that as a community, we support various businesses on Counterparty that add value to the ecosystem as well as Counterparty The Protocol. The success of Counterparty based businesses is an important step to the ultimate success of Counterparty, however, the success of Counterparty based businesses cannot be lumped in with the promotion and success of Counterparty The Protocol. Buy some gold, bet on some football, support an artist coin, get in there and mix it up.

Announcement:

I no longer volunteer full-time with Counterparty, although I will still help out informally whenever I can.

My experience at Counterparty was fantastic. I learned a lot and was able to have a positive impact on a project that created the future of finance. Very cool.

My shift in focus will allow me to spend more time on my Counterparty-powered startup which will have an official announcement shortly.

grandpa_seth

Activity: 316

Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:35:23 PM

Announcement:

I no longer volunteer full-time with Counterparty, although I will still help out informally whenever I can.

My experience at Counterparty was fantastic. I learned a lot and was able to have a positive impact on a project that created the future of finance. Very cool.

My shift in focus will allow me to spend more time on my Counterparty-powered startup which will have an official announcement shortly.

I have no patience, I want to know what the heck it could be.
led_lcd

Activity: 262

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:43:33 PM

The comparison you're making is unreasonable: Nxt fundraising was cut off early, with no warning.

It was open for 2 months and was cut off on Nov 18 and was launched officially on Nov 24 with coins distributed to everyone who joined.   You are correct there was no cut off announcement, but people could buy million per BTC for many weeks after the launch. Are you saying there were hundreds waiting for last minute? I doubt cut off announcement a week earlier would have made any big difference.

In my opinion, in no way is it acceptable to change the terms of a fundraiser without prior notice.
frozen123

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:32:44 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2014, 01:00:56 AM by frozen123

Everyone that wants the price of XCP to go up is just waiting for the betting feature of Counterparty to be more widely adopted. That will be the main price driver for XCP.

The adoption of the Counterparty protocol and adoption of betting related businesses which use the Counterparty protocol are two different things and while they both affect the price of XCP, one is clearly more focused and directly related to a rapid increase in the price of XCP.

While Counterparty does do marketing and business development (quite a bit actually...), businesses like xbet.io, my soon-to-come site, and other sites that come later, are all going to market their businesses and Counterparty will benefit from that exposure. In return, those new businesses will benefit from Counterparty's previous marketing efforts and the earlier success of the pioneers in this space like Digital Tangible Trust, Swarm, and so on.

This time period is a very early slice of what will become a full and active Counterparty ecosystem where the promotion of various businesses and the promotion of the Counterparty Protocol has a synergistic effect for both the protocol and new businesses that enter the Counterparty ecosystem.

It's important that as a community, we support various businesses on Counterparty that add value to the ecosystem as well as Counterparty The Protocol. The success of Counterparty based businesses is an important step to the ultimate success of Counterparty, however, the success of Counterparty based businesses cannot be lumped in with the promotion and success of Counterparty The Protocol. Buy some gold, bet on some football, support an artist coin, get in there and mix it up.

Announcement:

Agreed.
Thanks for everything you did  .Good Luck Smiley

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 06:59:53 AM

Did halfcab just run away with the community donation?

In my opinion there is one reason and one reason only

Marketing

Advertising

I have seen NXT advertisements on youtube and on website banners,
they are using google adwords and are paying a good marketing team
they have a futuristic video, with some robotic voice telling people that it is the future of currency, relating it to a digital dna strand,

COunterparty marketing video is a joke (the bat man themed one)
i am surprised that there isn;t a huge XCP stake holder who isn;t trying to organise this

IF everyone contributes funds to counterparty, so we have a total of around $10,000 + in marketing and advertising budget,

we might stand a chance

otherwise XCP will never make it to the top 5

----------------------------------------------------------------

PLAN

Raise funds -

Contact video marketing agency -

http://www.visionreel.com
or
http://www.smarteyeproductions.com
or
http://www.aspectfilmandvideo.co.uk/about.html
or
http://www.digitalsnowball.com
or
Any video marketing agency which could work

Then, Upload Video on counterparty website

Advertise on Youtube,
Use google adwords

TIme frame - 1 - 2 months

Result - Success (hopefully)

baddw

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:26:25 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2014, 07:40:36 AM by baddw

Did halfcab just run away with the community donation?

He hasn't posted anything in this thread since the donations came in, AFAIK.  Seems like he's still posting in other threads.

BTC/XCP 11596GYYq5WzVHoHTmYZg4RufxxzAGEGBX
DRK XvFhRFQwvBAmFkaii6Kafmu6oXrH4dSkVF
Eligius Payouts/CPPSRB Explained  I am not associated with Eligius in any way.  I just think that it is a good pool with a cool payment system Smiley
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:41:51 AM

Announcement:

Thanks for what you have done!
cityglut

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:48:41 AM

Announcement:

Matt has been an immense help to us, and we really appreciate everything he's done.
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:09:29 AM

These posts, although unpleasant, are also necessary to learn and grow. If we don't understand what we are doing wrong we will continue to do so.

One of the main differences between Nxt and XCP is that NXT has a central lead, someone who is directly responsible and invested in the success of the currency. With XCP no one person is any more invested than the next. We all stand to gain and lose just as much as we invested.

NXT has someone to say "hey, this is a problem, so we are going to do this". Where as XCP doesn't have that central lead or authority. This was the decision of the developers to create a grass-roots free-growing enterprise and only the future will tell how it all turns out. I don't support this model and in the past I have voiced my opinions on the subject so I wont rehash them. It's also important to understand that NXT isn't limited by outside factors (BTC). NXT lives and dies by its own decisions. It is not arbitrarily limited or denied (OP return anyone?) by external forces (BTC developers). The initial XCP developers chose to attach this project to BTC for certain reasons and it was their right to choose so.

I've got to address this: No gods, no kings, just NXT.

NXT is as completely de-centralised as we can possibly make it, there is no overall leader or even group of leaders. Makes life harder when it comes to making decisions sometimes, but it's worth it.

Come on over to our funky little forum:
www.nxtforum.org
and see how NXT rolls....

Hard to argue with that.

Yeah, well, except for the slavery part. The guys who built the pyramids where free craftsmen working for good wages and the sheer glory of building big things.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:00:29 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2014, 11:21:07 AM by devphp

Yeah, well, except for the slavery part. The guys who built the pyramids where free craftsmen working for good wages and the sheer glory of building big things.

Many researchers present evidence that even modern science is just on the edge of producing tools necessary to fulfill that kind of work, hence they hint at extra-terrestrial nature of many wonders of the world, like those pyramids.
thermal sun

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:20:08 AM

Hi guys,

I need some help trading on the dex.

I have just made an order to buy xcp with btc but it says i have to wait 45 minutes...

can i just transfer btc somewhere and get xcp?

i am very confused.
JahPowerBit

Activity: 335
Merit: 255

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:31:18 PM

These posts, although unpleasant, are also necessary to learn and grow. If we don't understand what we are doing wrong we will continue to do so.

One of the main differences between Nxt and XCP is that NXT has a central lead, someone who is directly responsible and invested in the success of the currency. With XCP no one person is any more invested than the next. We all stand to gain and lose just as much as we invested.

NXT has someone to say "hey, this is a problem, so we are going to do this". Where as XCP doesn't have that central lead or authority. This was the decision of the developers to create a grass-roots free-growing enterprise and only the future will tell how it all turns out. I don't support this model and in the past I have voiced my opinions on the subject so I wont rehash them. It's also important to understand that NXT isn't limited by outside factors (BTC). NXT lives and dies by its own decisions. It is not arbitrarily limited or denied (OP return anyone?) by external forces (BTC developers). The initial XCP developers chose to attach this project to BTC for certain reasons and it was their right to choose so.

I've got to address this: No gods, no kings, just NXT.

NXT is as completely de-centralised as we can possibly make it, there is no overall leader or even group of leaders. Makes life harder when it comes to making decisions sometimes, but it's worth it.

Come on over to our funky little forum:
www.nxtforum.org
and see how NXT rolls....

Hard to argue with that.

Yes and even, it is better not to have the Pyramids, if it can save even one single man from slavery.
cryptshine

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:09:41 PM

Thx for all your help dude, and best of luck on your startup! Excited for whats coming down the line.

Announcement:

Pages: « 1 ... 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 [411] 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: