Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:22:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 [451] 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276301 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:14:26 AM

I bought Swarm in this transaction -> https://blockchain.info/tx/9d537b9987bf8c6530270ee5091221180bcbe35c3971087b2807c0304a2665bc
Through my Bitcoin-QT wallet.

I am trying to import the private key for address 1Gz6P57LwNyN4uSB9wXhALX7ByWs9B14No to Counterwallet, but it doesn't show anything there. What am I missing?

http://www.svallet.info/addr/1Gz6P57LwNyN4uSB9wXhALX7ByWs9B14No  is empty.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 12:32:09 PM

I bought Swarm in this transaction -> https://blockchain.info/tx/9d537b9987bf8c6530270ee5091221180bcbe35c3971087b2807c0304a2665bc

I am trying to import the private key for address 1Gz6P57LwNyN4uSB9wXhALX7ByWs9B14No to Counterwallet, but it doesn't show anything there. What am I missing?

http://www.svallet.info/addr/1Gz6P57LwNyN4uSB9wXhALX7ByWs9B14No  is empty.

You can't import private keys into Counterwallet. You can only sweep funds into it. (This is because the servers don't store any of your private keys, which are, instead, generated on the fly, at login, from your passphrase.)
IamNotSure

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 12:35:36 PM

Looks like your address didn't received any SWARMPRE, you should contact SWARM team to get that sorted.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 01:19:16 PM

I saw the "news" about multisig integration, but I don't understand. Is this m-of-n or P2SH? Is there somewhere an example?

PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 02:17:14 PM

I saw the "news" about multisig integration, but I don't understand. Is this m-of-n or P2SH? Is there somewhere an example?

It's m-of-n with bare OP_CHECKMULTISIG. Instructions are forthcoming! Wink
xnova

Activity: 390
Merit: 254

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:11:22 PM

It's m-of-n with bare OP_CHECKMULTISIG. Instructions are forthcoming! Wink

For instructions: http://support.counterparty.co/support/solutions/articles/5000006561-multisig-tech

We can enhance these further moving forward, based on user feedback.

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
peled1986
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 10:29:44 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 08:38:48 AM by peled1986
Merited by nutildah (2)

Announcing GEMS Project
If you too are excited by Bitcoin, Counterparty 2.0 technology and the innovation and possibilities it entails, you will love Gems.

About
The primary goal of Gems is to make it easy for millions of people to adopt bitcoin and own the networks we build. Read more about how Gems is going to reclaime social networks from the control of traditional establishments.

The Gems currency is powered by Counterparty. Every GEMS user automatically gets his own wallet, protected by the passphrase chosen on registration. The social network username is an alias to the gems address, making sending & receiving gems and bitcoins between users as easy as possible.

Download Mobile App (coming soon)
Gems is a free mobile app available for iOS and Android. It makes instant messaging with friends fun, simple, secure and profitable.

What can I do?
If you would like support the Gems project and public sell, you can do the following:
1. join the discussion on the official bitcointalk PRE-ANN thread.
2. Follow our Twitter and retweet updates.
3. Promote the Gems project in any way you can  Smiley

parker928

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:03:19 AM

Alright, I have a bone to pick with you guys, and I am not an unreasonable person.

I have no experience with counterparty, but i should make you all away that I am an early adopter of monero, which means I have taken the time to deal with pure CLI currencies, and also that I am a miner, 21 years old, with no previous experience. Despite how challenging this all was, I realize I should invest in decentralized currencies for my own good, no matter how frustrating it may be. Yes, I fell victim to illusions of grandeur about mining like everyone does but luckily I mined 50,000 bc on february 24th which gave me a stupid amount of seed capital to work with, then I caught the DRK train, and the XMR train, so I made out reasonably well.

I am currently gambling on a shitcoin called skull coin, which is a counterparty asset. I don't know a damn thing about counterparty, but I am openminded.

Let me pretend I am the worlds stupidest person, which is exactly what we are trying to appeal to, in other words, the "masses"...

I got my 12 word password and wrote it down. due to the counterparty protocol logging me out against my will, I have been required to re-enter this password twice. It can only be done by clicking the mouse on the right letters for each word, twelve fucking times, which takes like 3 fucking minutes. I understand this is probably for protection against key logger malware, thus I am understanding of the inconvenience, but good luck explaining that to the worlds dumbest person. Surely there must be a way to avoid this, but unless you hit them dead in the face 3-4 times, the worlds dumbest person is not going to get it. so, how do I avoid this?

Next: Holy fuck this is annoying...counterparty software require me to stay logged in for x amount of time, but then I automatically get logged out. This is likely the fault of my browser of security features, but good luck explaining hat o the worlds dumbed person.

NOW: I purchased x amount of skull coin for x amount of btc. All of a sudden, I find out the purchase did not go through, whatever the fuck that means, because I was automatically got fucked out of my counterparty wallet and had to log back in, but now some btc is missing. I started with .047, now my wallet is reporting .041 and I have no other assets to account of it...

I understand there is surely a logical explanation for this, and surely my funds did not just disappear, and surely they will be retrieved. But how do you guys expect the worlds dumbest person to want to work with this? I do not mean to fud, I am jus pissed that I am having to deal with a bunch of stupid shit (compared to a standard qt wallet or CLI cryponote wallet) and I am not by any means crypto illiterate. Can someone explain to me wtf is going on here, and how I can buy this stupid shitcoin skull coin before time runs out?

parker928

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:08:47 AM

Ok now this is really pissing me off

I made my order for .0477 btc worth of shitcoin and somehow some of the btc disappeared and I can't buy the shitcoin...WTF

I am being notified that I have only .041 btc. So I tried to place an order for less of the shitcoin and figured I would deal with the missing btc later. Now I can't even do that, because I can't cancel my original order.

I don't mean to be a dick, but WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT and how can you possibly expect stupid people to adopt this when your GUI or more complicated/annoying than ClI of other currencies?
baddw

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 02:27:41 AM

I have been required to re-enter this password twice. It can only be done by clicking the mouse on the right letters for each word, twelve fucking times, which takes like 3 fucking minutes. I understand this is probably for protection against key logger malware, thus I am understanding of the inconvenience, but good luck explaining that to the worlds dumbest person. Surely there must be a way to avoid this, but unless you hit them dead in the face 3-4 times, the worlds dumbest person is not going to get it. so, how do I avoid this?

What browser and OS are you using?  In Safari on OSX, it is no problem for me to type in my password with the keyboard, or to simply copy and paste it in.

As for your other gripes: Buying Counterparty assets with BTC is still a pain in the ass.  It is recommended that you buy some XCP first (native Counterparty token), probably via a 3rd party exchange such as Bter.com.  Then use XCP to buy the asset instead of BTC.  This will go through much faster, and doesn't require you to stay logged in.  BTC trading is still kind of screwed up, but the devs are working on a way to fix it.  The difference is basically that BTC doesn't natively support escrow.  XCP and all other Counterparty assets do.

BTC/XCP 11596GYYq5WzVHoHTmYZg4RufxxzAGEGBX
DRK XvFhRFQwvBAmFkaii6Kafmu6oXrH4dSkVF
Eligius Payouts/CPPSRB Explained  I am not associated with Eligius in any way.  I just think that it is a good pool with a cool payment system Smiley
led_lcd

Activity: 262

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 03:10:35 AM

I got my 12 word password and wrote it down. due to the counterparty protocol logging me out against my will, I have been required to re-enter this password twice.

[...]

NOW: I purchased x amount of skull coin for x amount of btc. All of a sudden, I find out the purchase did not go through, whatever the fuck that means, because I was automatically got fucked out of my counterparty wallet and had to log back in, but now some btc is missing. I started with .047, now my wallet is reporting .041 and I have no other assets to account of it...

Hi parker928,

What OS and browser are you using? You are using the web site counterwallet.co right? On Windows with Chrome, I copy and paste my counterwallet password in one go from 1password.

Can you PM some details about the address you made the order from? I can have a look for you.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 07:42:44 AM

I got my 12 word password and wrote it down. due to the counterparty protocol logging me out against my will, I have been required to re-enter this password twice. It can only be done by clicking the mouse on the right letters for each word, twelve fucking times, which takes like 3 fucking minutes

I don't understand this part. You can type the passphrase using your keyboard, and you could even theoretically copy paste it if you're not that concerned with security. Additionally, there is a feature in the settings to set up a quick access URL which will take you directly to your wallet. If you can only enter it using the on-screen keyboard, there is probably something wrong with your browser.

Next: Holy fuck this is annoying...counterparty software require me to stay logged in for x amount of time, but then I automatically get logged out. This is likely the fault of my browser of security features, but good luck explaining hat o the worlds dumbed person.

I have not seen any reports of this happening. I'm sure the devs will look into it, but you must surely understand that it's not an end of the world scenario that affects every single user just because one individual is being logged out. Please issue a support ticket in Counterwallet if you haven't already.

Did you check your open orders? Maybe part of your order was matched. Have you checked whether money was transferred using block explorers Blockscan.com and Blockchain.info? For future reference, it's easier and less stressful to trade using XCP.

I do not mean to fud, I am just pissed that I am having to deal with a bunch of stupid shit (compared to a standard qt wallet or CLI cryponote wallet) and I am not by any means crypto illiterate. Can someone explain to me wtf is going on here, and how I can buy this stupid shitcoin skull coin before time runs out?

If you are relatively crypto literate, you could always use Counterpartyd (CLI), which is extremely reliable.

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:29:12 AM

parker928's experience IS replicated over and over again, without doubt, and is the very reason i personally have been banging on about the client/protocol only being attractive to geeky users who get a kick out of understanding the back-end mechanics, OR, for a company/business to make use of and develop for their own ends.
Again, the technical nature of this excludes a huge demographic either by bamboozling them, boring them, or like me and parker928, completely frustrating them to the point of annoyance.

Again, again, the Devs (and patient others) will be answering people like parker928 for eternity, until the Devs mum and dad are able to make a simple trade without turning to their son/s for guidance.......you have asked your family to engage with the client, while you watch them, haven't you Devs??? 
deliciousowl

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:02:14 AM

parker928's experience IS replicated over and over again, without doubt, and is the very reason i personally have been banging on about the client/protocol only being attractive to geeky users who get a kick out of understanding the back-end mechanics, OR, for a company/business to make use of and develop for their own ends.
Again, the technical nature of this excludes a huge demographic either by bamboozling them, boring them, or like me and parker928, completely frustrating them to the point of annoyance.

Again, again, the Devs (and patient others) will be answering people like parker928 for eternity, until the Devs mum and dad are able to make a simple trade without turning to their son/s for guidance.......you have asked your family to engage with the client, while you watch them, haven't you Devs???  

Now it may be good to remember that Counterparty is open-source.

Furthermore, not to be disrespectful, but did you put this much pressure on Bitcoin devs in the first year of its existence? Just because its early stages of development were too 'nerdy'?  Please realize that you guys are screaming insults because of something that started significant development 4 months ago. (https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterwallet/graphs/contributors). That is hardly eternity.

And, more importantly, Counterparty is one of the projects that has a full-time dev team. And unlike pretty much every single other platform launch, Counterparty did not beg the community for money. Progress relies on the input of the community (you) and financial self-reliance. That's right, you're essentially getting this for 'free', and development is further along than many platforms which raised 1000+ BTC in funds.

First off, it is very very unlikely his issue with not being able to enter text into a text field is related to Counterwallet problems. Second of all, we don't know whether his 'missing' BTC are actually missing, have been matched in an order, or anything else. To fix these issues, more information is required.

If you guys are crypto literate and want things to get better, please submit detailed reports of your bugs. If you think this is frustrating, how do you think the developers must feel about vague descriptions of errors filled with ad hominems and curses. Any time I talk to them, they are busy with coding. Coding what? Counterparty.

Counterpartyd is stable and functioning well. Your anger towards a GUI which is under continuous, and incessant, development seems really unfounded. If you want to help, please document and submit your error reports, with as much detail as possible. Ranting really doesn't help anyone. Remember, no software can succeed without people to test it.

Smiley

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:21:02 AM

First off, it is very very unlikely his issue with not being able to enter text into a text field is related to Counterwallet problems. Second of all, we don't know whether his 'missing' BTC are actually missing, have been matched in an order, or anything else. To fix these issues, more information is required.

If you guys are crypto literate and want things to get better, please submit detailed reports of your bugs.
And the ones who are not literate?

You are making my point, for me.
deliciousowl

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:07:54 AM

If you guys are crypto literate and want things to get better, please submit detailed reports of your bugs.
And the ones who are not literate?

You are making my point, for me.

You are complaining that an open-source software, being worked on by several full-time developers in an attempt to make it more user-friendly, is not user-friendly enough yet. What more can I offer you than patience? Think about it this way, if you shared this mentality in 2009-2010, you probably would not have bought any Bitcoin.

Anyone is welcome to contribute in whatever way they can, and want. But the criticism has to be constructive, in order to have any benefit whatsoever.

Spratan

Activity: 689
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:23:47 AM

Some, including me, are experimenting big bugs (funds disappear) with Bitshares X. Bitshares is one year old....
On the contrary I didn't have any trouble to buy StorJx in seconds. It is a fact that XCP has been very stable for months.

Anyway, Parker928 is the voice of 99% of the people which are not investing in XCP. Don't blame it !!!!

We all know that XCP can or will be worth 100 M$, then 1B$ as soon as and only if XCP is totally user-friendly, like almost everybody is requesting since beginning. It can be a matter of days with just a will. Perhaps a common list of 10 dumbest point that prevent people to use it confortably ? Are devs really aware of theses problems ? I don't see any amelioration coming in the current road-map, full of minor bugs and coding things I am not skilled enough to understand.

A product is never finished anyway, and investors won't wait "ad vitam eternam". Look how DRK is loosing its leadership in the anonymous race with extra-long developments and geeky features, like mixing rounds that only make people wonder how anonymous it is, and spreads doubt and uncertainty when using it.

The market is sincerely waiting for a simpler counterparty or else a more friendly clone will be created in no time.
I am sure that dogeparty or even clearinghouse won't do any coding but will have a perfect tool for dummies, and consequently for masses and then businesses !
deliciousowl

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:32:42 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 10:46:43 AM by deliciousowl

We all know that XCP can or will be worth 100 M$, then 1B$ as soon as and only if XCP is totally user-friendly, like almost everybody is requesting since beginning. It can be a matter of days with just a will. Perhaps a common list of 10 dumbest point that prevent people to use it confortably ? Are devs really aware of theses problems ? I don't see any amelioration coming in the current road-map, full of minor bugs and coding things I am not skilled enough to understand.

Can you list a few of these "10 points" that cause difficulty? I'd be more than glad to explain anything, or create any materials that may help the end-user. If only technical users raise awareness of issues, the focus is going to be entirely technical. It would be great to hear more from the community about how to make Counterwallet more friendly. And I'm sure that in time, other people will create wallets for XCP.

NOTE: It is important to remember people are having problems with the wallet program, and not the protocol itself. Counterwallet is just what you 'see', and has no direct effect on the functioning of Counterparty.

A user-friendly GUI, and an emphasis on UX (user experience) is the next step, and is actually a separate project that communicates with the protocol (Counterwallet<->Counterparty).

A product is never finished anyway, and investors won't wait "ad vitam eternam". Look how DRK is loosing its leadership in the anonymous race with extra-long developments and geeky features, like mixing rounds that only make people wonder how anonymous it is, and spreads doubt and uncertainty when using it.

It is also the case that DRK represents anonymity, which is steadily being implemented into Bitcoin. Once enough 'anonymizing' services and wallets exist, it is not a surprise that DRK value will fall. Additionally, non-Bitcoin based coins and platforms understandably carry a lot of speculation and stigma. Proof-of-work and proof-of-stake clones often follow a pump&dump progression, and from a market perspective, establishing a causal link with any real attributes is often challenging.

The market is sincerely waiting for a simpler counterparty or else a more friendly clone will be created in no time.
I am sure that dogeparty or even clearinghouse won't do any coding but will have a perfect tool for dummies, and consequently for masses and then businesses!

No need for a simpler or friendlier clone, just various different wallets for different users. How a user interacts with the protocol requires absolutely no change in how it actually works behind the scenes.

Spratan

Activity: 689
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:05:18 AM

Can you list a few of these "10 points" that cause difficulty? I'd be more than glad to explain anything, or create any materials that may help the end-user. If only technical users raise awareness of issues, the focus is going to be entirely technical. It would be great to hear more from the community about how to make Counterwallet more friendly. And I'm sure that in time, other people will create wallets for XCP.

NOTE: It is important to remember people are having problems with the wallet program, and not the protocol itself. Counterwallet is just what you 'see', and has no direct effect on the functioning of Counterparty.

A user-friendly GUI, and an emphasis on UX (user experience) is the next step, and is actually a separate project that communicates with the protocol (Counterwallet<->Counterparty).

It is also the case that DRK represents anonymity, which is steadily being implemented into Bitcoin. Once enough 'anonymizing' services and wallets exist, it is not a surprise that DRK value will fall. Additionally, non-Bitcoin based coins and platforms understandably carry a lot of speculation and stigma. Proof-of-work and proof-of-stake clones often follow a pump&dump progression, and establishing a causal link with any real attributes is often challenging.

I am sure that dogeparty or even clearinghouse won't do any coding but will have a perfect tool for dummies, and consequently for masses and then businesses!

No need for a simpler or friendlier clone, just various different wallets for different users. How a user interacts with the protocol requires absolutely no change in how it actually works behind the scenes.

Thanks for being so receptive !

1/ The 12 words password is the first hurdle. I can understand it because it is a web wallet, so the password must be really long. Anyway, I always read than lowercase dictionnary word without special character is crackable. I have no confidence in your password system I didn't see elsewhere, even in cryptoland -> big fail.
Anyway why did you choose a web wallet ?

2/ A windows wallet is a must have. Next and Bitshares X have it. For masses, you don't "own" your money if it is not "installed" on your computer and it is not different for having it on an exchange (I know it is wrong). Consequently, I won't invest much. It seems unsafe to have money here, I can't understand how to back up my money, I am sure I will receive one day a mail saying all is gone due to a hack -> big fail.

Even if I am a big burner, I didn't use the wallet until storj IPO, I don't know why but perhaps for the above reasons.

deliciousowl

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:23:20 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 11:34:15 AM by deliciousowl

Thanks for being so receptive !

1/ The 12 words password is the first hurdle. I can understand it because it is a web wallet, so the password must be really long. Anyway, I always read than lowercase dictionnary word without special character is crackable. I have no confidence in your password system I didn't see elsewhere, even in cryptoland -> big fail.
Anyway why did you choose a web wallet ?

You're very welcome!

The password has to be really long, because the addresses and private keys are generated directly from the password itself. This is the only real way of ensuring that your password is never sent to any server outside of your own computer. Other websites and wallets have a different wallet system, which you are used to, because they store your password on a server and they have access to it. As we know from Mt.Gox, this is an extremely bad idea.

On the other hand, Counterwallet is deterministic and uses math to create your account without ever sending your personal information outside of your pc. Your passphrase IS your wallet. And to make it easier to login, Counterwallet now has funcionality where you can use a specially created URL and your own password to access your account. Press the gear at the top right to set this up.

2/ A windows wallet is a must have. Next and Bitshares X have it. For masses, you don't "own" your money if it is not "installed" on your computer and it is not different for having it on an exchange (I know it is wrong). Consequently, I won't invest much.

Counterparty assets can be secured at a higher level than NXT or Bitshares, see the next point for an explanation. Also, if you want a local wallet, counterpartyd is available. This is a reference client that supports all functionality of Counterparty, and connects to Bitcoin Core. However, it is a command line interface and takes a while to set up, which may be confusing to non-technical users.

You can also run your own instance of Counterwallet. And while it is possible to do so now, there is development ongoing to make it easier.

It seems unsafe to have money here, I can't understand how to back up my money, I am sure I will receive one day a mail saying all is gone due to a hack -> big fail.

Create an offline Bitcoin address, send XCP and assets to this address. Voila! Your XCP and assets are now as safe as cold storage Bitcoins.
Just make sure you backup your private key securely.

Pages: « 1 ... 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 [451] 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: