Bitcoin Forum
August 15, 2024, 09:28:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] LEASERIG.NET - rent&hire Quark hashing power!  (Read 106944 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
djeZo (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:27:28 PM

I need to do something about pool management in case of rig failures first, because half of providers either have:
- not permitted save
- saving to different file / working directory
- non-matching default pools on site compared to cgminer startup pools - rendering pool auto removal useless
- smos and auto switching to some xyz pools?

I am thinking about creating special software which would act as a middleman between my site and cgminer. Benefits include:
- no more port forwarding on routers
- ability to merge several cgminer instances together and give customer one single big rig
- forced pools - because this middleman would be running on same machine as cgminer or at least in same network, it would be possible to execute several commands each 10 seconds without worries to overload anything

I understand the issues of some rig providers with current system, however, I have second thoughts on this proposal. The current system in awesome for the serious and professional rig providers. It provides a decentralized system which is not dependent on your system - even if your server/system goes down/is having issues, the currently rented rigs will continue to work without any interruptions. And if someone is having issues it is 100% clear where is the fault is (weather at the rig provider or at the renter, the fault can't be on your side). As soon as you'l introduce whatever kind of proxy (local or remote), you'll loose all this. Any kind of proxy also brings additional latency and overhead and my affect mining performance. And there is also the thing of trust in this "special software" which has to run in my network / on my machines. That said - I welcome the new proposal, but you should definitely keep also the current system for those rig providers who are willing and able to configure it properly (nat rules, cgminer config, etc.).

And, again, djeZo, just risk a couple of hours and implement the "current price" information ... it really shouldn't be that hard.

The proxy I am talking about here is not running on my server, it would be run by every single person offering rig via leaserig. Think about it as an extension of cgminer - alternative would be to modify cgminer itself and make all leasers use it - but that would bring problems with SHA256 providers, because their software is usually forked from earlier cgminer and there are tons of various ones. The proxy runs on same rig; there is no risk of downtime. And because another software is in the middle, I can change "connect direction". Instead of leaserig connecting to cgminer, I can make cgminer (proxy) connect to leaserig, thus avoiding all NAT issues.

The only 2 issues are:
- coding work is needed
- the proxy must be portable (linux & win) - looks like I cannot avoid good old C here...

There are no additional latencies because local proxies have 0ms latency. The stratum connections would be still ordinary, this is just proxy for cgminers API, nothing more.

The additional benefits I forgot to include are:
- better stats regarding stability
- change reports (this one means we could have true real-time stats of current hashing speed on website - with no 1min checking intervals like now)

escobol

Activity: 158
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:37:15 PM

djezo, maybe it will be simpler to make fork of bamt?

bamt fork made for leaserig, provider will need to only edit default pools, gpu config (mem, engine,fan etc), and api port

kenshirothefist

Activity: 457
Merit: 273

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:41:27 PM

bamt fork made for leaserig, provider will need to only edit default pools, gpu config (mem, engine,fan etc), and api port

No, please, no "embedded solutions" ... this has to be completely cross-platform independent piece of software.
djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:50:12 PM

bamt is only for linux, isnt it?

escobol

Activity: 158
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:05:42 PM

bamt is linux.

provider need to download *.img file and make bootable usb with it, no hdd.
dalenorman2005

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 01:54:16 PM

+1 for this.  My vote would be start with SMOS - Bee Edition.  SMOS is a more recent fork of BAMT with modern drivers for r9 and various ethernet boards.  it also has some forced donation of 15 minutes per day to the developer's pool.  Bee Edition is just SMOS with this donation removed (it's just a cron job anyways).

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=10253.0

I vote for "SMOS - LeaseRig Edition", with no donations and with your special sauce baked in to communicate with your server.  Eliminate the local cgconfig all together and just do it through Leaserig!
frostamation

Activity: 188

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 03:04:48 PM

I vote for a NON-mandatory 3rd party solution. I have spent time making my rigs function properly and the system is working for me. I know for some this is not the case which is why having another solution is a good idea, however as long as it is not a mandatory thing. I prefer win OS because i use cgwatcher and cgremote and everything is working at its peak and stable current condition. I would not like to be forced to use another OS just for the sole reason of the uncertainty it would bring to the stability of my rigs and their hash rates.

Having said all that, I will again say i think it is a good idea to have another solution for an option for operators as long as its not mandatory for operators to switch too.

And above all else fantastic work so far on leaserig.net djeZo, I have no plans to switch to any other leasing site.
dalenorman2005

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 03:12:37 PM

I vote for a NON-mandatory 3rd party solution.

Right - i amend my vote - if you're going to write an add-on, i vote for it to be baked into a linux distro.  but you'll have to make it cross platform, so for windows, you just need to distribute an installer. 

But overall - i am very much in favor of this add-on software or customized distro being very much OPTIONAL. 

djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 03:26:54 PM

If there was proxy made, then for sure it would be made for win (all versions) and linux (all versions) - just like cgminer is capable of running on both OSes. I am well aware that providers use different OSes so any kind of solution with new software must be very robust and portable. Luckily I know exactly what would have to be done, but it is a bit time consuming (would take me 2 or 3 days).

For now, I will try to improve rigtest subpage of leaserig - I can make it to detect whether cgminer is properly configured (with pool saving that come back after cgminer restart).

Also about to implement lease history and stats about current rig rental prices.

dalenorman2005

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 03:30:18 PM

If there was proxy made, then for sure it would be made for win (all versions) and linux (all versions) - just like cgminer is capable of running on both OSes. I am well aware that providers use different OSes so any kind of solution with new software must be very robust and portable. Luckily I know exactly what would have to be done, but it is a bit time consuming (would take me 2 or 3 days).

For now, I will try to improve rigtest subpage of leaserig - I can make it to detect whether cgminer is properly configured (with pool saving that come back after cgminer restart).

Also about to implement lease history and stats about current rig rental prices.

I was happy when i found your rig test subpage, and am glad to hear you're putting further work into it.  Perhaps you can roll it into the main rig admin page - just show green checks if everything passes, and red x's with a link to the rig test page if anything fails.  run the tests on a schedule and email the rig owner if a test fails. 
djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 03:39:11 PM

I was thinking about that too, but I won't include it there. When this test is being performed, it will mess with the pools, change pool, remove old pools, save config and then restart cgminer and verify whether new pools are present. It pretty much destroys your previous saved pools so this is not something you should be performing when rig is already ready to be hired or even worse - when it is already hired.

dalenorman2005

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 03:45:38 PM

ah, i see. ok, so perhaps make passing the test a status on the list of available rigs.  make the status of all rigs "untested" (much like unrented rigs have the status "new"), until the rig operator goes to your test page and gets a passing grade.  setup a separate thread, separated by OS, to discuss failures and solutions to this test.

perhaps someone would like to launch a leaserig forum?

djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 03:52:21 PM

ah, i see. ok, so perhaps make passing the test a status on the list of available rigs.  make the status of all rigs "untested" (much like unrented rigs have the status "new"), until the rig operator goes to your test page and gets a passing grade.  setup a separate thread, separated by OS, to discuss failures and solutions to this test.

This would not guarantee that the rig is properly configured; providers may change their cgminer settings and "blow" ones, rendering rig not working properly again.

I will make this test page mainly so that new providers know whether their rig is properly configured. Will try to include hints what has to be done if something is not working properly (but have to collect them all, because they different according to OS).

dalenorman2005

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 04:04:28 PM

This would not guarantee that the rig is properly configured; providers may change their cgminer settings and "blow" ones, rendering rig not working properly again.

I will make this test page mainly so that new providers know whether their rig is properly configured. Will try to include hints what has to be done if something is not working properly (but have to collect them all, because they different according to OS).

sounds good.  hey, why are you wasting your time talking to us?  just do it!   Smiley

thanks for all your hard work.  it's appreciated.
djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 05:24:47 PM

Almost there - I just need a stable pool, anyone knows one that is always online  Huh Or I rather use litecoin wallet with enabled RPC.

Orders guys! Put on some more orders. I see only 2 for very shit prices haha, noone is going to fill them for only 0.01, try a bit higher and you may get some.  Grin

Maybe you don't know all the features of orders, here are some:
* you can cancel any of your orders anytime
* requested time frame for hashing power is reducing automatically
* up to 2 starting pools can be used - these are auto-switched to the moment your order is filled
* you get email notification when your order is filled
* when order amount falls below 0.001 BTC, order is cancelled automatically
* there are no extra fees when using orders
* placing and removing orders is super fast with no delays and immediate effect on your wallet balance

Blaater

Activity: 462
Merit: 262

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 05:54:12 PM

Hi Djezo,

Just a big respect for the amount of work you put into this. I love that people are able to be able to rent my rig.

I have 2 small rigs, 1 very small rig with a low price, and 1 small rig with a high price. I'm happy to mine for myself untill people pay a premium price Wink. But with the minirig I'm able to give back a little and have a normal price =].

Keep up the work.

PS. i don't like the idea of having to install a different OS. The reason behind this,
On my rig I run:

1 x CGminer for GPU mining
1 x CGMiner for Dualminers
1 x BFGMiner for SHA-256 mining

If you make a distro, better make sure that providers are able to run different versions of CGMiner and BFGMiner etc.
djeZo (OP)

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 05:56:19 PM

Verification procedure is now intense and will tell you how far you have configured everything:

http://leaserig.net/rigtest.jsp

It is advised that even existing providers try it to make sure everything is in place. But do it when your rig is NOT rented!.

Blaater

Activity: 462
Merit: 262

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 06:02:36 PM

Verification procedure is now intense and will tell you how far you have configured everything:

http://leaserig.net/rigtest.jsp

It is advised that even existing providers try it to make sure everything is in place. But do it when your rig is NOT rented!.

CGWatcher f*cks things up, so before you try it, shut dont CGWatcher.

Code:
Testing command "restart"... PASSED
RESTART

Waiting 10 seconds...

Testing command "pools"... FAILED

But right after the restart command my CGWatcher jumps in and start a 2nd CGMiner making me suddenly have 2 CGMiners on that API port.
dalenorman2005

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:24:52 PM

Ok, i *think* i've got everything straight, but i'm not passing the test. I have:
-made sure my primary and backup pools in my cgconfig exactly match the primary and backup pools on leaserig (instructions don't say this, but it seems to make sense to do it this way.  otherwise, this test fails at an earlier stage).
-created the entry in crontab to copy my config from one path to another (did it as described - may or may not be correct for SMOS 1.3)

two problems - first, my rig does not show in the list of available rigs.  i can configure it, so the server sees me, but it doesn't show on the main list
second, i fail the test as below....

Testing address: 99.239.xxx.xxx:10001

Testing command "summary"... PASSED
STATUS=S,When=1391800565,Code=11,Msg=Summary,Description=cgminer 3.7.2|SUMMARY,Elapsed=974,MHS av=1.25,MHS 5s=1.23,Found Blocks=0,Getworks=49,Accepted=13,Rejected=0,Hardware Errors=0,Utility=0.80,Discarded=46,Stale=0,Get Failures=0,Local Work=257,Remote Failures=0,Network Blocks=31,Total MH=1220.5425,Work Utility=1152.58,Difficulty Accepted=13312.00000000,Difficulty Rejected=0.00000000,Difficulty Stale=0.00000000,Best Share=262233,Device Hardware%=0.0000,Device Rejected%=0.0000,Pool Rejected%=0.0000,Pool Stale%=0.0000|

Testing command "addpool"... PASSED
STATUS=S,When=1391800565,Code=55,Msg=Added pool 'http://leaserig.net:3333',Description=cgminer 3.7.2|

Testing command "pools"... PASSED
Contains data of added pool.

Testing command "switchpool"... PASSED
STATUS=S,When=1391800566,Code=27,Msg=Switching to pool 2:'http://leaserig.net:3333',Description=cgminer 3.7.2|

Waiting 10 seconds...

Testing command "removepool"...
PASSED STATUS=S,When=1391800576,Code=68,Msg=Removed pool 0:'stratum+tcp://middlecoin.com:3333',Description=cgminer 3.7.2|
PASSED STATUS=S,When=1391800576,Code=68,Msg=Removed pool 1:'stratum+tcp://useast.middlecoin.com:3333',Description=cgminer 3.7.2|

Testing command "save"... PASSED
STATUS=S,When=1391800576,Code=44,Msg=Configuration saved to file '/root/.cgminer/cgminer.conf',Description=cgminer 3.7.2|

Testing command "restart"... PASSED
RESTART

Waiting 10 seconds...

Testing command "pools"... FAILED
dalenorman2005

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 07:56:06 PM

fyi, CanadaMinerRig01, which is the one i'm testing on above, is NOT shown on the list of available rigs (online or offline), but it IS shown on the drop down of available rigs to fill a rig order..... odd.

Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »
  Print  

Jump to: