Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:06:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 [403] 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722683 times)
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 12:21:34 AM

Well, he didn't id himself so I don't think it was attention he was after. The video shows 40mhs from i7. Can't be real, right?
DuvajBalone

Activity: 137

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 12:29:41 AM

Well, he didn't id himself so I don't think it was attention he was after. The video shows 40mhs from i7. Can't be real, right?
video is fake. he cut part of desktop on this video, and there is no evidence that he is mining darkcoin, or any other known coin. just ignore him, he post the same screen shots on other forums.
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 12:36:21 AM

video is fake. he cut part of desktop on this video, and there is no evidence that he is mining darkcoin, or any other known coin. just ignore him, he post the same screen shots on other forums.
Thanks for the confirm. Got me worried for a second. Putting him on ignore from now. Thinking about it, if that was real, he would be making so much that he wouldn't tell anyone. And if he was trying to damage the coin then he would release it to everyone.
richiela

Activity: 937
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 12:51:19 AM

To be clear, we (bittrex) are not looking for you to "buy" your way onto the exchange.   That goes against everything we believe in.  The request here was to get commitment to do some cross promotional giveaways.  Nothing from the request is being kept by Bittrex; we are only trying to raise awareness for the coin and for our exchange.

Outside of this, we have asked for a small donation of coins to perform our wallet/exchange stress testing with.  If this came across as a "pay to play" request, let me apologize, that is not the intent.  We simply need a way to stress our systems and verify that they are operating as designed.  I'm more than happy to return any donation (minus whatever txfees we incur) at the end of testing.

As a new exchange that is less than a week old, we are relying on the community to help us grow as we help the community grow.  We are software professionals with real world experience on how to deliver secure and scalable solutions.  Please do any necessary research on us to be assured.  We are being as transparent as possible.  We hope we get a chance to prove how we are superior to the competition.

Thanks
Richie

I didn't mean to attack you directly. When you look at these other exchanges (cryptorush asked for 300 DRK for listing, ended up listing us for free) (mintpal/cryptsy with paid votes), you know they are getting every possible revenue source, and I suggest you do the same once you get some volume. The shitcoins deserve to pay IMO, the devs are trying to make money more often than not as their main goal and should be charged for it.

Only important thing in my mind is giving legitimate cryptocurrencies the respect they deserve and build a portfolio of desirable currencies first and foremost. Although C-CEX and POLONIEX both got hacked and have horror stories, they were the first ones to adopt Darkcoin and were rewarded tremendously for it initially.

Good luck with BITTREX, site looks very clean and I'll be registering today.

Thanks for the feedback I totally appreciate and understand it.  My response was just to clarify our position because it seemed we rubbed some people the wrong way.  Our goal is to provide the best exchange for the crypto community and I want our revenue to come directly from that goal.  I personally find the "pay to play" model that some exchanges engage in actually hurts the community by encouraging P&D action.  To be completely transparent, we have accepted bounties when offered, but those go directly back into giveaways that help drive traffic to the coins and the exchange.

I look forward to working with this community.

For those interested, we got DRK up and running at Bittrex last night... come check it out...

https://www.bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-DRK
https://www.bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=LTC-DRK

I know we're new with little volume right now, but we are an experienced team and we're here for the long haul.  Help us to provide a great exchange for the community by trading here and supporting us.  Come give us a try!

Looking for the best exchange? -> https://bittrex.com
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:02:10 AM

To be clear, we (bittrex) are not looking for you to "buy" your way onto the exchange.   That goes against everything we believe in.  The request here was to get commitment to do some cross promotional giveaways.  Nothing from the request is being kept by Bittrex; we are only trying to raise awareness for the coin and for our exchange.

Outside of this, we have asked for a small donation of coins to perform our wallet/exchange stress testing with.  If this came across as a "pay to play" request, let me apologize, that is not the intent.  We simply need a way to stress our systems and verify that they are operating as designed.  I'm more than happy to return any donation (minus whatever txfees we incur) at the end of testing.

As a new exchange that is less than a week old, we are relying on the community to help us grow as we help the community grow.  We are software professionals with real world experience on how to deliver secure and scalable solutions.  Please do any necessary research on us to be assured.  We are being as transparent as possible.  We hope we get a chance to prove how we are superior to the competition.

Thanks
Richie

I didn't mean to attack you directly. When you look at these other exchanges (cryptorush asked for 300 DRK for listing, ended up listing us for free) (mintpal/cryptsy with paid votes), you know they are getting every possible revenue source, and I suggest you do the same once you get some volume. The shitcoins deserve to pay IMO, the devs are trying to make money more often than not as their main goal and should be charged for it.

Only important thing in my mind is giving legitimate cryptocurrencies the respect they deserve and build a portfolio of desirable currencies first and foremost. Although C-CEX and POLONIEX both got hacked and have horror stories, they were the first ones to adopt Darkcoin and were rewarded tremendously for it initially.

Good luck with BITTREX, site looks very clean and I'll be registering today.

Thanks for the feedback I totally appreciate and understand it.  My response was just to clarify our position because it seemed we rubbed some people the wrong way.  Our goal is to provide the best exchange for the crypto community and I want our revenue to come directly from that goal.  I personally find the "pay to play" model that some exchanges engage in actually hurts the community by encouraging P&D action.  To be completely transparent, we have accepted bounties when offered, but those go directly back into giveaways that help drive traffic to the coins and the exchange.

I look forward to working with this community.

For those interested, we got DRK up and running at Bittrex last night... come check it out...

https://www.bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-DRK
https://www.bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=LTC-DRK

I know we're new with little volume right now, but we are an experienced team and we're here for the long haul.  Help us to provide a great exchange for the community by trading here and supporting us.  Come give us a try!

Hey I think that's our first LTC/DRK market. I don't even know how much it's supposed to be worth in LTC

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:08:36 AM

To be honest, I'm a little ticked that this started out as "Bounty pool for marketing and branding" and now it's just "Darkcoin bounties" including bug reports etc.  I'm fine with that for now, if that's what the funds are most needed for at this point.  

But at some point, we need a REAL marketing pool, and it shouldn't be just spent on these incremental increases in value.  It should be spent on something AWESOME.  Marketing is an art, you don't just pay out a couple hundred bucks to make a slightly better website or translate to an additional language.  At least, that's not ultimately the best use of funds when you're ready for mass adoption.  Right now, this thread has ~171,000 page views.  That's great for now.  A liberal estimate means maybe 200,000 people have heard of Darkcoin.  All it takes is one good marketing play... one single thing that stands out, and you get over 10 million people that have now heard about your coin.  Doge has no technical use whatsoever and is far less interesting than DRK, but a brilliant marketing idea like donating $30k to the jamaiican bobsled team generates over 10 million views.  We need to find our own crazy marketing idea.  I'm not sure what exactly that is, but something that fits DRK and will get 10 million views based just on one single marketing effort.  This doesn't have to cost much, but it will take a decent chunk of any marketing pool and be worth way more than the sum of all of these incremental updates.  It could be something like a billboard.  You can rent out a billboard for a month that displays digital ads in a high traffic area along the freeway for under $1000/month.  This probably isn't the best fit for DRK, but someone has to get creative and figure out what that is.  

I'd be willing to donate 5 to 10x my previous contribution to a marketing pool with a real marketing idea like this.

+1

I am thinking something to do with Edward Snowden might be interesting. If that story had just broke and we were raising funds for him in DRK it would be perfect. The bit about the DRK fundraising would have piggy backed on all the press about him. It's less topical now though. Maybe getting the Snowden Defense Fund to accept Darkcoin would be some news?

If there is ever an individual whose privacy is violated and it becomes national news, fundraising for them may work.

Evan said (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5184431#msg5184431) he would be speaking at the Cryptocurrency Convention on April 9th but don't see him on the speakers list. If there's anything we can do to support him in that or getting similar speaking opportunities I think it is the best use of funds/time in liu of a brilliant marketing idea.

Why try court so much controversy? It will bring negative headlines. The principle that any news, even bad news, is good for publicity? Maybe, but then you spend years trying to shake off the negative image - like bitcoin and silk road.

Why not go after a more positive approach - North Korean people being able to access online payment services thanks to darkcoin - that would be practically impossible, but that sort of thing.

I'll try and see if I can get Satoshi to move his bunch of BTC though DRK.  That would make the news Grin
DieCommieScum

Activity: 128

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:12:23 AM

I had a marketing idea, figured I run it by here...

Since privacy is DRK's niche, how about we reach out to some VPN service providers and ask them to take DRK... on top of accepting DRK, they run a promotion that discounts the service which we could subsidize with marketing dollars.... They get exposure to the existing DRK community, DRK gets exposed to privacy minded individuals, and those individuals get a deal/incentive to adopt.

Sound like something?
eltito

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:18:35 AM

Since privacy is DRK's niche, how about we reach out to some VPN service providers and ask them to take DRK... on top of accepting DRK, they run a promotion that discounts the service which we could subsidize with marketing dollars.... They get exposure to the existing DRK community, DRK gets exposed to privacy minded individuals, and those individuals get a deal/incentive to adopt.

Sound like something?

Good idea once DRK has been open sourced and thoroughly vetted, but if it's adopted and subsequently breached in some fashion I think it severely damages both DRK and the VPN provider's credibility.
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:20:46 AM

To be honest, I'm a little ticked that this started out as "Bounty pool for marketing and branding" and now it's just "Darkcoin bounties" including bug reports etc.  I'm fine with that for now, if that's what the funds are most needed for at this point.  

But at some point, we need a REAL marketing pool, and it shouldn't be just spent on these incremental increases in value.  It should be spent on something AWESOME.  Marketing is an art, you don't just pay out a couple hundred bucks to make a slightly better website or translate to an additional language.  At least, that's not ultimately the best use of funds when you're ready for mass adoption.  Right now, this thread has ~171,000 page views.  That's great for now.  A liberal estimate means maybe 200,000 people have heard of Darkcoin.  All it takes is one good marketing play... one single thing that stands out, and you get over 10 million people that have now heard about your coin.  Doge has no technical use whatsoever and is far less interesting than DRK, but a brilliant marketing idea like donating $30k to the jamaiican bobsled team generates over 10 million views.  We need to find our own crazy marketing idea.  I'm not sure what exactly that is, but something that fits DRK and will get 10 million views based just on one single marketing effort.  This doesn't have to cost much, but it will take a decent chunk of any marketing pool and be worth way more than the sum of all of these incremental updates.  It could be something like a billboard.  You can rent out a billboard for a month that displays digital ads in a high traffic area along the freeway for under $1000/month.  This probably isn't the best fit for DRK, but someone has to get creative and figure out what that is.  

I'd be willing to donate 5 to 10x my previous contribution to a marketing pool with a real marketing idea like this.

+1

I am thinking something to do with Edward Snowden might be interesting. If that story had just broke and we were raising funds for him in DRK it would be perfect. The bit about the DRK fundraising would have piggy backed on all the press about him. It's less topical now though. Maybe getting the Snowden Defense Fund to accept Darkcoin would be some news?

If there is ever an individual whose privacy is violated and it becomes national news, fundraising for them may work.

Evan said (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5184431#msg5184431) he would be speaking at the Cryptocurrency Convention on April 9th but don't see him on the speakers list. If there's anything we can do to support him in that or getting similar speaking opportunities I think it is the best use of funds/time in liu of a brilliant marketing idea.

Why try court so much controversy? It will bring negative headlines. The principle that any news, even bad news, is good for publicity? Maybe, but then you spend years trying to shake off the negative image - like bitcoin and silk road.

Why not go after a more positive approach - North Korean people being able to access online payment services thanks to darkcoin - that would be practically impossible, but that sort of thing.

I'll try and see if I can get Satoshi to move his bunch of BTC though DRK.  That would make the news Grin

+1
If the coin provides anonymity and it is well highlighted, those who need that feature whoever they may be will be attracted.
DieCommieScum

Activity: 128

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:27:12 AM

Sound like something?

Good idea once DRK has been open sourced and thoroughly vetted, but if it's adopted and subsequently breached in some fashion I think it severely damages both DRK and the VPN provider's credibility.

Good point, it would likely have to be timed where the promotion is part of "official darksend launch" or something to that effect so it acknowledges to those very valid concerns. The demo in question is the most likely sort to have those concerns as well.
HammerHedd

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 01:36:45 AM

At long last I finished the one-pager for Darkcoin.

You can see the doc here:
http://wowgwow.com/Darkcoin-one-pager.pdf
http://wowgwow.com/Darkcoin-one-pager.docx

From experience, having all the most processed and digested info on one-page makes it very easy for journalists, bloggers, readers etc. to tap in. I believe this will make our marketing efforts much easier.

Since neither English nor technology are my first "languages", please feel free to rephrase anything.

My 2cents.

Awesome work, Chompy. Do you think you could swap out the V2 chart with the V3 chart?

DRK: XepkHLT2MYTXSFDc2muiGeA9eRzG6ytpSy       P2Pool: stratum+tcp://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net:7903
BTC: 1LVE3pFpAhSrHbiK5hAUWDeVrB5UrPXRkJ                    http://darkcoin.kicks-ass.net
mannie

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:41:23 AM

This is an interesting article. Wonder what the author would have to say about DarkSend?

http://www.zdnet.com/bitcoin-laying-the-foundation-for-a-real-world-skynet-7000027177/
Corazon79

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 02:09:06 AM

My thoughts here. This is the order everything should take.

* Prepare PR strategy (raising funds for Snowden in DRK I thought was a brilliant idea. However, we could simply set a Google Alert for his name, and send out a relevant release to coincide with the latest round of coverage on him, as journos look to chip in with something original of their own. We can have set of carefully tailored quotes from the developer etc. ready for each possible scenario). Get everything ready, so we are primed to pounce when the time is right.
* Finish translations and or localised Wiki pages/translations for Spanish, French, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian. Maybe also German (although very technically proficient as a nation, we forget lot of people there don't speak fluent English), Dutch and Finnish (the last two are major early adopters of crypto-coins).
* More work on discussion fora
* Finish/launch DarkSend full version and Darkcoin website

At this point, we are now ready for a big marketing push. Why is it important to have translations ready first? Because if we're lucky enough to hit NBC, or BBC, then the story could be picked up worldwide, with translations on local blogs. It's imperative that when people in Russia or Argentina search Google/Yandex for Darkcoin, they will find a localised translation waiting for them online. That helps them to actually get started. Remember these people see the utility in Darkcoin. Doge is really just a speculative vehicle for the English-speaking world. Russians, Chinese, Japanese and Latin Americans won't be using Doge. That's critical and why I maintain that translations are essential.

However, the mechanics of Doge's promotional approach can still work for us. We want BIG coverage in US/UK media, and everything should flow smoothly from there, as the article will travel on its own. The big question is how precisely we do it.

I agree that a bigger expense on proper testing/validation from a big name in security would be well worth it. Or some form of backing from a top privacy advocate like Simon Davies/Privacy International (even if that is an implicit support, such as doubts expressed on Bitcoin's anonymity credentials).
slyA

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 02:41:33 AM

lol am I the only one seeing DRK recover hilariously on its own? WTF.
djcrypto

Activity: 54

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 02:43:21 AM

First draft of Darkcoin bounties

These are subject to change. Please suggest more and give me your feedback.

A quick explanation of how this will work: The "base bounty amount" is not the final bounty, it's a relative figure to make calculations easier. The base figure is adjusted depending on the actual donations we've received in the fundraiser. The "adjusted bounty amount" is what will actually be paid out.

TL/DR: Donate more, and all the bounties will go up!

*** PLEASE NOTE: Translation bounties will apply only to the new website, which is not yet launched! Expect it to be launched within a couple weeks. ***

https://i.imgur.com/q8CGGQF.png

Fundraising wallet: Xc8xGSP7FwWGPQpgw298z7NYdA8xJK8ooh

PM me your submissions with some kind of proof that it's your work. Some of these bounties are first-in-gets-paid, and some will go into a pool where the best will be judged to receive the bounty (these are marked as such below).

It’s not in the list of bounties but I think it’s essential we have the following as soon as possible to attract the interest of the media (I’m a journalist so I feel confident about this!)

1.   A considerable mailing list of journalists/newspapers/blogs, especially ones that have run features/news on Bitcoin in the past
2.   A suite of professional press releases (this should be an ongoing project with press releases sent at every milestone)
3.   One of the first releases should include a story about someone buying something anonymously with DRK. Most of the general news coverage about Bitcoin these days is either about security breaches at exchanges or merchants beginning to accept BTC/someone buying something unusual with BTC. We probably want the latter at the moment, with a focus on how the buyer was able to purchase anonymously

Sorry about harping on about media but I really want to see DRK succeed! I wrote an early draft media release which could be updated for the first release (http://pastebin.com/HjrXLCfg) and made a start at the mailing list (http://pastebin.com/DMWjmqG2)

I'd like to get Edward Snowden's endorsement of this coin. Maybe someone could write to him once the website is updated and he could begin accepting DRK.
slyA

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 02:59:11 AM

wat

We were at 12xx yesterday and now we're at 149xx... Above vert and worldcoin on marketcap.
eizh

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:08:21 AM

wat

We were at 12xx yesterday and now we're at 149xx... Above vert and worldcoin on marketcap.

Too early to say anything. Day-to-day prices are mostly noise.
slyA

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:18:58 AM

wat

Too early to say anything. Day-to-day prices are mostly noise.

True.
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:29:39 AM

Does anyone know why the blockchain is all wonky? I was looking at the fundraiser address and couldn't find my donation. After comparing times I found it in http://explorer.darkcoin.io/tx/51b89879abdeaf32c6bded8303d42ea26e2e4513036da2b51fb3405ea2df8c1f#i0 but neither the from or to is correct and it says 86 when it was 75 which it also says.

Why is this blockchain so messed up even without darksend?
Corazon79

Activity: 46

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:31:26 AM

I have made good progress with the media list for Darkcoin. I'm confident I can handle this job in its entirety. Is there a chance of several Darkcoins as a bounty?!
Pages: « 1 ... 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 [403] 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: