Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:25:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 ... 396 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POT]PotCoin - Banking for the Legal Cannabis Industry ✦ ✦ ✦Grow With Us ✦ ✦ ✦  (Read 920051 times)
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 08:43:12 AM
Last edit: September 13, 2015, 08:54:19 AM by CartmanSPC

It probably shouldn't have done that extra split below 5k, I am at a loss as to whats going on. Guess we will have to just watch and see how far it takes it.
Ninja edit: Maybe you left out a 0? Told it to split to 500 instead of 5k?

Code:
int64 nStakeCombineThreshold = 2000000 * COIN;
changed to
Code:
int64 nStakeCombineThreshold = 5000 * COIN;

We'll see if it keeps splitting.

Back to the discussion as to what we need this number to be permanently I suppose the number we select will determine how often it stakes (not to be confused with how MUCH it stakes). Since the number of staking blocks is currently on the low side it is advantageous to have more to keep the blockchain going at it's intended rate but....as more coins start staking having too low of a number will increase the difficulty and increase the chance of orphans.

Someone mentioned that there are POS coins that allow you to specify this number in the client? Send me a list of those coins and I can take a look at integrating that code into the Potcoin wallet (no promises!).

Without having looked at the Potcoin source code I don't know how much help I will be but there was a similiar issue with the Clams wallet that was solved by BTCtalk user dooglus.

Basically the problem was the nStakeCombineThreshold was being ignored if two outputs were from the same transaction. e.g. if the value of nStakeCombineThreshold is 5000 and you have an output at 8000 that splits into two 4000 outputs, it will split them again even though they're below the threshold. It was solved by allowing outputs from the same transaction to recombine. I don't know if this is the problem here but seeing the code posted reminded me about it. There was some discussion about it in the Clams thread at the time but I found this on Github that talks about it:

https://github.com/nochowderforyou/clams/issues/20

Nice find! Potcoin may be experiencing the same issue.

I submit these lines of code as comparison:

https://github.com/dooglus/clams/blob/58f3bbbc0607208dfae718a9f75f20974a64ee6a/src/wallet.cpp#L1734
https://github.com/potcoin/Potcoin/blob/44cb0b1ddbb6481b1da8d0ebd52513681badfe21/src/wallet.cpp#L1671

Which coin is POSv based on? Would like to look at that source as well.

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 01:55:41 PM

https://github.com/dooglus/clams/blob/58f3bbbc0607208dfae718a9f75f20974a64ee6a/src/wallet.cpp#L1734
https://github.com/potcoin/Potcoin/blob/44cb0b1ddbb6481b1da8d0ebd52513681badfe21/src/wallet.cpp#L1671

I'm pretty sure PoSv was created for Reddcoin. I found the same line from the POT wallet in the Reddcoin source:

https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddcoin/blob/master/src/wallet.cpp#l1671

Also in my 5 minutes of googling for Reddcoin I found a nice website that explains PoSv for any of you who want to understand how its different than POS:

http://agroff.github.io/posv/

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
rdyoung
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 02:08:01 PM

I'm pretty sure PoSv was created for Reddcoin. I found the same line from the POT wallet in the Reddcoin source:

https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddcoin/blob/master/src/wallet.cpp#l1671

Also in my 5 minutes of googling for Reddcoin I found a nice website that explains PoSv for any of you who want to understand how its different than POS:

http://agroff.github.io/posv/

Yes, POSv was designed by the lead dev for reddcoin, though he has since stepped down from that position.

POSv is different in one very simple way, the accelerated aging of coins for the first 14 days or so, after that it slows down. This gives people an incentive to move the coin around via transacting with it rather than stashing it under their mattress.  The only major difference between 1.0 and 2.0 that I am aware of is the sharing of the stake rate for the entire money supply with the coins actively staking, rather than everyone only earning 5-6% and the inflation rate being tied to the # of active coins. With 2.0, you know that the stake rate is going to be 5-6%/year for the entire coins supply, and the individual gets a higher stake rate as incentive to support the network rather than leave the coins on an exchange or offline.
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 08:06:07 AM

It probably shouldn't have done that extra split below 5k, I am at a loss as to whats going on. Guess we will have to just watch and see how far it takes it.
Ninja edit: Maybe you left out a 0? Told it to split to 500 instead of 5k?

Code:
int64 nStakeCombineThreshold = 2000000 * COIN;
changed to
Code:
int64 nStakeCombineThreshold = 5000 * COIN;

We'll see if it keeps splitting.

Back to the discussion as to what we need this number to be permanently I suppose the number we select will determine how often it stakes (not to be confused with how MUCH it stakes). Since the number of staking blocks is currently on the low side it is advantageous to have more to keep the blockchain going at it's intended rate but....as more coins start staking having too low of a number will increase the difficulty and increase the chance of orphans.

Someone mentioned that there are POS coins that allow you to specify this number in the client? Send me a list of those coins and I can take a look at integrating that code into the Potcoin wallet (no promises!).

Without having looked at the Potcoin source code I don't know how much help I will be but there was a similiar issue with the Clams wallet that was solved by BTCtalk user dooglus.

Basically the problem was the nStakeCombineThreshold was being ignored if two outputs were from the same transaction. e.g. if the value of nStakeCombineThreshold is 5000 and you have an output at 8000 that splits into two 4000 outputs, it will split them again even though they're below the threshold. It was solved by allowing outputs from the same transaction to recombine. I don't know if this is the problem here but seeing the code posted reminded me about it. There was some discussion about it in the Clams thread at the time but I found this on Github that talks about it:

https://github.com/nochowderforyou/clams/issues/20

Thanks again Chronikka! After reviewing I believe this fix would be beneficial to have in Potcoin. It better combines outputs faster. Will review again with a fresh set of eyes tomorrow and if it still looks good create a new version of the wallet with this code.

Will be hard for me to see it's effects with my two personal wallets as they will have already gone through the combining process....unless I use the official wallet version on them for a bit to allow my coins to combine larger and then use the 5K version to bring them back down. That will take time. Most likely will do this....

Chronikka

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 03:34:18 PM

Thanks again Chronikka! After reviewing I believe this fix would be beneficial to have in Potcoin. It better combines outputs faster. Will review again with a fresh set of eyes tomorrow and if it still looks good create a new version of the wallet with this code.

Will be hard for me to see it's effects with my two personal wallets as they will have already gone through the combining process....unless I use the official wallet version on them for a bit to allow my coins to combine larger and then use the 5K version to bring them back down. That will take time. Most likely will do this....

Glad I could help. I think this should improve staking performance slightly. In the current design not all outputs are treated equally for the purposes of recombining. There isn't really a purpose to this behavior that I can see. Why should anybody care that two outputs originated from the same hash and why would they want to prevent them from recombining?

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 03:56:34 PM

Can I buy pot with Potcoin? I live in Europe. How can I buy pot? Can I also buy Ketamine and other drugs with Potcoin? Wink
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:44:23 PM

Can I buy pot with Potcoin? I live in Europe. How can I buy pot? Can I also buy Ketamine and other drugs with Potcoin? Wink

Thats probably not a good topic for discussion here. Potcoin is aiming for the legal weed markets around the world, not the illegal stuff.
I won't tell you to check out the darknet markets on reddit Smiley
jheaton

Activity: 241
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:10:17 PM

so is the generated POT per/day accurate here? curious.. https://chainz.cryptoid.info/pot/#!overview
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:23:41 PM

so is the generated POT per/day accurate here? curious.. https://chainz.cryptoid.info/pot/#!overview

It doesn't seem to be. I have a sheet tracking the generated coins in near real time and it shows us averaging more coins per day than that says.
jheaton

Activity: 241
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:51:17 PM

It doesn't seem to be. I have a sheet tracking the generated coins in near real time and it shows us averaging more coins per day than that says.

how many  Smiley
Karartma1
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:58:51 PM

Thats probably not a good topic for discussion here. Potcoin is aiming for the legal weed markets around the world, not the illegal stuff.

If I can't even buy good trees with this coin then what's the point? Wink
Fuck laws and lawmakers!
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:03:02 PM

how many  Smiley
My sheet says we should be averaging 28.9k/day and we are getting 15.9k currently. I am certain that the "shortage" of generated coins is tied to the same issue with our personal stake rates, IE, the # of blocks/day and the # of blocks between stakes for each chunk of coins.
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:08:46 PM

If I can't even buy good trees with this coin then what's the point? Wink
Fuck laws and lawmakers!

While I agree that what someone chooses to put into their body while in the privacy of their own home should NOT be the business of lawmakers, sadly we do not live in that world.
The movement to legalize and decriminalize weed is growing worldwide and it won't be too long before weed is seen the same as alcohol and tobacco. For now though, it only hurts pot and other crypto coins for it to be associated with anything illegal or nefarious, this is why the focus is on legal and medicinal weed in the parts of the world where the laws have changed.

In short, we need to avoid the discussions here that pertain to where to buy weed or other drugs for people that live in jurisdictions where its not legal or at least decriminalized for personal or medicinal use. We should also avoid the discussion of where to obtain other "drugs" altogether, its more than likely whatever drug someone is trying to obtain is a controlled substance where they live or they could get it on the street corner or at the local pharmacy.
Karartma1
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:13:24 PM

Fair enough.

I hope one day we can see that trees are free in the world. It doesn't do any harm. Relax your minds.
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:39:56 PM

Fair enough.

I hope one day we can see that trees are free in the world. It doesn't do any harm. Relax your minds.

There is a LOT of history and economics that go into keeping substances like marijuana illegal. This is changing, but if you understand why its illegal you understand why its taking so long to get those laws and peoples minds changed.
Chronikka

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 07:13:08 PM

Fair enough.

There is a LOT of history and economics that go into keeping substances like marijuana illegal. This is changing, but if you understand why its illegal you understand why its taking so long to get those laws and peoples minds changed.

I think I should add that legality at this point probably has very little to do with the success or failure of Potcoin. Bitcoin has and continues to be available to anybody who wants to accept crypto. But Bitcoin has left the door open for competitors and I think in the future we will have a situation where multiple blockchains are in use every day by many people for a variety of purposes. They may even have vastly differently properties between them so they can each serve their own purpose. Potcoin is attempting to carve out a niche for a specific market. But it depends entirely on the success of Bitcoin. If Bitcoin fails, then probably so does Potcoin.

dopecoindude
Legendary

Activity: 1512

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2015, 07:13:25 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2015, 04:32:15 AM by dopecoindude

Hi Kararma1. We target this market as we encompass both cannabis and other drugs ( we are listed on SilkRoadReloaded as a way to buy cannabis/drugs with Dopecoin currently ) . Click on my sig thanks! Wink

edit: You can read about the new "Grow Network" we are starting .

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Activity: 1190

Kaspa

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 08:03:44 PM

Fair enough.

on a peer to peer level feel free to talk to your local dd's about accepting it, I know I would accept it if I can afford to but have had no luck convincing most of my friends to even buy BTC let alone any alts... even tho POT has been around for over a year now it's deff still in it's infancy, I mention it anytime I'm in one of my local potshops and once the android is ready it will be a lot easier to explain it and show them how it works etc.

#Expanse $EXP 500 transactions 4 .1 EXP 1st Clone of ETH 
WAVES
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Fair enough.

I think I should add that legality at this point probably has very little to do with the success or failure of Potcoin. Bitcoin has and continues to be available to anybody who wants to accept crypto. But Bitcoin has left the door open for competitors and I think in the future we will have a situation where multiple blockchains are in use every day by many people for a variety of purposes. They may even have vastly differently properties between them so they can each serve their own purpose. Potcoin is attempting to carve out a niche for a specific market. But it depends entirely on the success of Bitcoin. If Bitcoin fails, then probably so does Potcoin.

All of this is true. We don't however know the mindset of those that deal or grow the legal marijuana in jurisdictions where it has been legalized or decriminalized.
Remember the stain that silk road put on BTC? It doesn't matter that 10000x more USD has and will be used for drugs/guns/etc than BTC ever will, people are easily swayed and influenced by bad press more so than good press. I would advise that anyone who wants POTcoin to succeed do their best to keep discussions about POTcoin limited to whats legal and what WON'T risk bad press or someone going to jail.

I disagree on any of the so called altcoins being tied to BTC for their survival, it appears that way now but its very likely that it will be an altcoin that succeeds BTC if it can't innovate enough and get the user friendly aspect nailed down. I also believe that POS in some form is the future of crypto.

My point is that there is enough legal weed to focus on without risking being seen as a coin for any and all drugs. We are at a crucial point and we need to worry about image more than anything else. We now have a working POSv network, now its time to work on being branded "the weed coin" rather than "the weed coin and also special k and maybe heroine".
rdyoung
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 08:24:19 PM

Fair enough.

on a peer to peer level feel free to talk to your local dd's about accepting it, I know I would accept it if I can afford to but have had no luck convincing most of my friends to even buy BTC let alone any alts... even tho POT has been around for over a year now it's deff still in it's infancy, I mention it anytime I'm in one of my local potshops and once the android is ready it will be a lot easier to explain it and show them how it works etc.

Some advice from someone who once did sales.
Keep bringing up crypto in general with friends/family in the most general sense you can. With the shops, bring it up once or twice and then drop it. The more you badger someone about something the more it puts them off, if you can get others in the area to bring it up with them as well it will make more of an impact than you asking everytime your in there.
It also looks like the network is finally getting up to speed and the stake rate should climb to its advertised amount, you can use this as a selling point, people are more likely to investigate and buy in to something if they are going to get a return on their investment. Make sure to bring the staking up in conversations, let people know that they can earn upwards of 6%/year by holding the coin and supporting the network.
Pages: « 1 ... 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 ... 396 »
  Print  

Jump to: