Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:21:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast BabyJet users thread  (Read 68940 times)
rMuD

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:17:35 PM

Downloaded from setup.hashfast.com image.  Very different from what I had been given with the delivery 2 days ago it was a stock minepeon install.  Getting the updates now.  

But you guys are updating the /boot/config.txt  which is removing the boot_delay=1  that allows this raspberry pi to boot without hanging at the Rainbow screen everytime a patch comes in.   Also if I needed to allow it to boot without HDMI to come back later to check on it, I can't turn that on, so either stop that update or update the config lines only you are trying to push please Smiley

Pushed Where?   I'm still rebooting every 2 minutes

Ok guys, I just pushed you Ckolivas' latest update; 3.12.0hf3 (with the RPI reliability patch).  Everyone should have it within the next hour.

We still have the strange hashrate reporting, but hopefully this will speed your rigs back up to were they were with 3.9.0, so let me know what you're seeing.

I also left 3.11 and put back 3.9 there too, and made a symlink so it's easy to switch versions back if you want to play with it.

No other changes.

-Phil
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:21:56 PM

I am preparing for the MPP (yeah, I know premature), and saw that newegg is running a sale on the H100i for $95.

I'd like to know more about this too. Phil, how will the upgrade for the BJ look like? PCB with cooling system premounted and new PSU? Will it fit in the BJ case? Where will the second unit cooler fans be?

Same about the MPP, will we only get the PCB or the cooling unit as well?

Thanks for your support by the way, it's highly appreciated!
dbbit

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:52:34 PM

Should I be concerned that my 3rd core is running so cool?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                
 [P]ool management [S ]ettings [D]isplay options [Q]uit                                                                          
 HFB 1: 68C/.79V 70C/.79V 58C/.79V 68C/.79V 535.0G/756.0Gh/s | A:141310 R:2048 HW:475 WU:10519.4/m                              
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------      

My unit hasn't performed better than 375gh/s since I got it. (As reported by Eligious).

On the original Minepeon it was reporting 425. Now after the 3.12 update it's reporting 751. But it doesn't change the actual 375gh/s perf I am getting out.

Can this have to do with the overly cool core?
dbbit

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:20:14 PM

Ok guys, I just pushed you Ckolivas' latest update; 3.12.0hf3 (with the RPI reliability patch).  Everyone should have it within the next hour.

I've gotten 4 reboots (RPI reboots, not just BJ) in 1 hour as a result of the: 3.12.0hf3 upgrade. Not looking too good.

Before the upgrade, my BabyJet + RPI has been running for 48 hours straight without any reboots.
NiteShdw

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:42:17 PM

I woke up this morning to by BJ fan turning off an on.  Last night I got the 3.12.0hf3 update and since then the miner mines for about an hour and then restarts.  It's not a full RPI reboot, but cgminer crashes/quits then restarts.  The cgminer restarts seem to be about every 75 minutes or so. I'm running stock clocks.

Since the automatic update I'm only getting about 350-370GH/s.
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:24:07 PM

So far I have one working over a hardwire ethernet connection - I see no way in the MinePeon settings to set up to work over wireless, which is my preferred option.

Last summer I got an earlier version of Minepeon to work over wi-fi, but it was a huge PITA. Among other problems was the boot sequence, time of day, etc...  My solution involved learning about System D, NTPD configuration and other arcana regarding Arch Linux.  I wouldn't go through that again when upgrading to a newer minepeon version.  Instead, I just bought a wireless N bridge,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZQLBG0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 07:40:22 PM

Last night I got the 3.12.0hf3 update and since then the miner mines for about an hour and then restarts.  It's not a full RPI reboot, but cgminer crashes/quits then restarts.  The cgminer restarts seem to be about every 75 minutes or so. I'm running stock clocks.

Since the automatic update I'm only getting about 350-370GH/s.

Same here. You can see how the hash rate graph changes after loading 3.12.0hf3. It becomes more erratic and the little dips appear to be miner restarts.

On the pool side the hashrate has remained roughly the same (slight dip) but my stale rate appears to have gone up significantly (more than doubled).

MinePeon Version: 0.2.4.3hf7
Miner Version: cgminer3.12.0hf3
DoogieHouser

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:04:14 PM

If you are comfortable with linux, I recommend using a linux box to drive the modules.  So far I haven't had any unexpected reboots using 3.12 on an old notebook I had lying around.

I had a linux box running 12.04,  then it updated and the network connections quit working. So, basically I'm in the market for a new linux box. This RPi is not impressive.

--Doogie
DoogieHouser

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:07:41 PM

I plugged an ASUS N-53 USB WiFi adapter into the RPi, and it works like a charm.

So far I have one working over a hardwire ethernet connection - I see no way in the MinePeon settings to set up to work over wireless, which is my preferred option.

--Doogie
HF-Engineer

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:12:24 PM

I guess this is probably a question for Phil... but anyone feel free to jump in.

I am preparing for the MPP (yeah, I know premature), and saw that newegg is running a sale on the H100i for $95.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032

Anyone know if there is any difference between the Corsair H100i, and the RACK DCLC?
The coolers in the BJ1 look like a H100i but the head unit says CoolIT systems Rack DCLC.

Also, regarding the chips liking being a bit warmer... is 70 the sweet spot?  Should I be worried if the chips go into the low 80s?

Here's a BJ that's been running great for weeks: 77C/.79V 75C/.79V 76C/.78V 79C/.78V

Here's a 2 board setup running great on my bench for stress test: 86C/.80V 87C/.80V 80C/.81V 80C/.80V 94C/.77V 93C/.77V 91C/.81V 89C/.77V

Unfortunately you can't buy the Rack DCLC model that we use retail.  The closest thing is the H100i, but it comes with extra stuff you don't really need.  My opinion is that this stuff is overpriced.  With all the ASIC companies out there, someone should start another cooler company!

Also, if you order the retail Corsair stuff, be sure to be very careful with the hoses.  The thick rubber ones they use like to pop off and leak green coolant all over everything.  (Don't ask me how I know!)

-Phil  

perezoso

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:15:34 PM

Ditch the RPI folks.  

And I gotta say, I was saying, a couple days ago, that there's crash/reboot problem with 3.12, at least on a significant proportion of the machines.  Something about not getting along with the watchdog, I think.

Get a old PC (or linux box, I suppose), and run 3.11 straight from ckolivas' website.  Works best for me, so far. Stable. Only problem is a need for hotplugging on restart of the software.

Or if you want to keep crashing and rebooting, I guess it's your right to use the RPi.  Keep the network a little slower for me!  Tongue

Unfortunately you can't buy the Rack DCLC model that we use retail.  The closest thing is the H100i, but it comes with extra stuff you don't really need.  My opinion is that this stuff is overpriced.  With all the ASIC companies out there, someone should start another cooler company!

Also, if you order the retail Corsair stuff, be sure to be very careful with the hoses.  The thick rubber ones they use like to pop off and leak green coolant all over everything.  (Don't ask me how I know!)

Perhaps a topic for the other thread, but I hope that HF makes good on its pledge to have reasonably priced, HF-selected/approved hardware available for purchase when the MPP ships.  Like yesterday, hopefully.
HF-Engineer

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:22:31 PM

Downloaded from setup.hashfast.com image.  Very different from what I had been given with the delivery 2 days ago it was a stock minepeon install.  Getting the updates now.  

But you guys are updating the /boot/config.txt  which is removing the boot_delay=1  that allows this raspberry pi to boot without hanging at the Rainbow screen everytime a patch comes in.   Also if I needed to allow it to boot without HDMI to come back later to check on it, I can't turn that on, so either stop that update or update the config lines only you are trying to push please Smiley
It should not hang at the rainbow screen.  We now test every RPI that gets sent out, although there were some initially that didn't get tested.  If you restore the SD to the HashFast image, initially it's not set up for forced HDMI, but we update that in the first few updates.  Once you are at the current version, it should NOT hang on reboot, and HDMI should be on regardless of whether you started with a monitor connected.  If this isn't happening for you, I suggest you try burning to a new fresh SD card.  I've definitely seen the Pi hate on some SD cards!

Sorry for overwriting your configs, we are trying to make it easiest and most reliable for users that aren't very familiar with Linux, so it "just works" as well as possible.  It really sounds like somethings wrong on your system, as the current loads never hang.

-Phil

HF-Engineer

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:31:41 PM

Pushed Where?   I'm still rebooting every 2 minutes
Please follow the re-image instructions I've now posted several times.  Get a fresh start, it seems to fix a lot of issues people are having.  You shouldn't be rebooting.

I am running all my test systems off or RPI's.  Initially they were very unreliable, which is what got us on the path of customizing MinePeon.  Now it's pretty solid.  They have their niggles, and of course all things firmware and software are a work in progress, but they should have a 99.9% uptime now.

If you HAVE an extra PC, and can install Ubuntu on it (Windows is not reliable for mining), this is a bit more more stable, but there is a learning curve and you'll have to get cozy with a command line and shell scripts if you want a reliable system.

We hope to release a pre-configured image at some point similar to what we have on the RPI so it's plug-n-play.  Until then, unless you are comfortable with Linux, I recommend you stick with the RPI.

-Phil
HF-Engineer

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 09:40:40 PM

I'd like to know more about this too. Phil, how will the upgrade for the BJ look like? PCB with cooling system premounted and new PSU? Will it fit in the BJ case? Where will the second unit cooler fans be?

This isn't my area, but my understanding is the BJ upgrades are a second module that you chain to the first.  There is a second mounting location in the BJ for this new board and your BJ should have come with 2 extra power supply cables (look in the bottom of the case) that will plug into the new board.  We will provide the mounting hardware and the ribbon cable that chains the modules.  The web site indicates that is will come with a cooling system, so I assume it will be a second radiator that installs in the front of the case.

Sorry, but I don't know about the MPP at all.  I'm an Engineer, so my goal is to build the stuff and make it work as best as possible.  I can tell you everyone I know in the company I know is working their ass off.  Nights, Weekends, Holidays.

-Phil
HF-Engineer

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:07:35 PM

Ok it sounds like the new 3.12 version isn't helping.   I'll put together another update back to 3.9.

Let me see if there is a way we can do this without needing to reboot.

-Phil
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:18:56 PM

This isn't my area, but my understanding is the BJ upgrades are a second module that you chain to the first.  There is a second mounting location in the BJ for this new board and your BJ should have come with 2 extra power supply cables (look in the bottom of the case) that will plug into the new board.  We will provide the mounting hardware and the ribbon cable that chains the modules.  The web site indicates that is will come with a cooling system, so I assume it will be a second radiator that installs in the front of the case.

Sorry, but I don't know about the MPP at all.  I'm an Engineer, so my goal is to build the stuff and make it work as best as possible.  I can tell you everyone I know in the company I know is working their ass off.  Nights, Weekends, Holidays.

-Phil

So the final PSU, as I heard a 1000W, is mounted already on the BJs, this makes sense (because first HF said, they will send a new, bigger PSU with the upgrade kit). And the 2nd unit cooling fans will replace the 2 fans in front (the only place it could fit anyways Wink). This makes sense too. Though, 1000W seems a bit low for 2 Units, but well, we will see. The extra pci-e power supply cables were already mounted in my case.
Thanks again  Smiley
NiteShdw

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:20:52 PM

I compiled 3.12 directly from ckolivas's github. That seems to run pretty well. There is a weird oddity when it starts up sometimes it gets a USB error, but once I get it going it's pretty solid and seems to get a better hash rate than the hf3 version.  Since the unpatched version seems to run pretty good, maybe the reliability issue has to do with your (HashFast's) patch.
rMuD

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:26:20 PM

This is a very known problem with the RPI that reboots too often it damages the SD cards.  The last batch of 30 RPi's I've gotten in the last 6 months at least 10 have this problem.  The fix to keep it going is to add boot_delay=1 to the config.txt, til it blows completely.  This is common, or I just have bad RPi Karma.  either way  adding boot_delay=1 to your push will solve lots of problems people are having with them, and will not hurt people without it.

It should not hang at the rainbow screen.  We now test every RPI that gets sent out, although there were some initially that didn't get tested.  If you restore the SD to the HashFast image, initially it's not set up for forced HDMI, but we update that in the first few updates.  Once you are at the current version, it should NOT hang on reboot, and HDMI should be on regardless of whether you started with a monitor connected.  If this isn't happening for you, I suggest you try burning to a new fresh SD card.  I've definitely seen the Pi hate on some SD cards!

Sorry for overwriting your configs, we are trying to make it easiest and most reliable for users that aren't very familiar with Linux, so it "just works" as well as possible.  It really sounds like somethings wrong on your system, as the current loads never hang.

-Phil

starsoccer9
Legendary

Activity: 1630

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:35:38 PM

Anyone have a good overclocking speed working for them?

Also is anyone running their BJ on windows and knows how to get the temp of all 4 dies to show
dbbit

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 10:40:32 PM

Get a old PC (or linux box, I suppose), and run 3.11 straight from ckolivas' website.  Works best for me, so far. Stable. Only problem is a need for hotplugging on restart of the software.

Or if you want to keep crashing and rebooting, I guess it's your right to use the RPi.  Keep the network a little slower for me!  Tongue

The PC does seem to help with the crash-and-reboot, but it doesn't actually improve overall hashrate.

I'm getting a 370 rate in all 3 these cases:

1) First day I ran stock software (no crashes)
2) Second day I ran on a PC (no crashes)
3) Since 5 hours ago I'm running on the updated RPI with the new constant crash-and-reboot "feature".  Average 2 full RPI reboot cycles per hour.

All of them however averages the same speed to Eligius to me (around 370). In fact crash-and-reboot might be slightly faster than the other two by about 3 gh/s.

I can see bigs dips on the Eligius graph during those reboots, but I think the rest of the time it's running faster to compensate.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: