Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:50:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast BabyJet users thread  (Read 68947 times)
storm2k5

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:20:17 AM

@HF Engineer:

I tried everything I could with my babyjet (the one only getting 250ghps and core 3 and 4 at very low temps)

-powersupply voltage >  it's fine
-breaks on connectors  > none visible
-any visible damage from the dangling around in chassis >none visible
-cgminer 3.12.3 > it works, but same low hashrate and temperatures also it seems like it fluctuates a lot (hashrate goes down further, all cores going to 60°C, like there is no work to do, but there is)
-I looked at debug log > nothing in there that points to a problem, as far as I can read it
-The board temp for the cores that are low temp is higher than that for core 1 + 2, even tho they prolly at a very low load (because of fan on one side?)

One thing I noticed was when running the RPi image 3.09hf2 and I enable the debug log, the hash rate about halves and core 3 actually has a lower temp than core 4 (which is usually by far the coldest)
Makes no sense to me.

I'm wondering when HF plans to push new firmware, do you know anything?
Also, how are they handling RMAs? Do I have to send in the board before they send me a new one?

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
storm2k5

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 12:27:20 AM

So I figured I'd have more overclocking leeway than 570. Any suggestions?

Try get your temp up to 70+ and test again, Phil said 70-80°C is the sweet spot for the silicone

Yeah, but at 550 clock my temps are the same (65-67) and I have no problems at all.

The higher your clock rate, the more important it is for the silicon to be in it's "happy state".
Just get the temps up to ~80 and try overclock and you will know. I'm just repeating what Phil said like 15 pages back.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 01:12:34 AM

Try get your temp up to 70+ and test again, Phil said 70-80°C is the sweet spot for the silicone

Yeah, but at 550 clock my temps are the same (65-67) and I have no problems at all.

The higher your clock rate, the more important it is for the silicon to be in it's "happy state".
Just get the temps up to ~80 and try overclock and you will know. I'm just repeating what Phil said like 15 pages back.

I find that the temperature of the core is less important than the surrounding regulators; I seem to get more stability actively cooling those with 120mm fans.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
CurcO

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 01:24:54 AM

I find that the temperature of the core is less important than the surrounding regulators; I seem to get more stability actively cooling those with 120mm fans.

Can you upload a pic of the fan setup ?
thx
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 01:35:22 AM

Can you upload a pic of the fan setup ?
thx

If you promise not to laugh XD  Just using cable ties to attach the fans to the case.  I used an extra molex adapter from a corsair HX psu, as they use the same cables

Not the prettiest in the world, but the vreg heatsinks are at about 45C now

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
storm2k5

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 02:19:18 AM

Not the prettiest in the world, but the vreg heatsinks are at about 45C now
Humm, you got all the caps on there next to the vreg, I have like 4 of the 8 (?)

ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 04:12:00 AM

I have firmware:735ccca5. I'm curious to see if anyone has a different version.

Same here 735ccca5

Mine is: ebaa1a85

I have not been able to get my BJ to run stable for over 48 hours. I need to hard reset it at least once a day. With each version of cgminer I have a different issue. The best one for me seems to be cgminer3.11.0hf1 but it seems to crap out at random intervals where mining stops and I am unable to ssh or load the web interface anymore. Hopefully new a firmware/cgminer combo will fix these issues as my warranty already has expired :/

Also there is a 7 degree difference between cores, so I might take Phil's advice and re-apply thermal paste. (Although the hottest core does not exceed 80C, so I don't think overheating is the cause if my instability issues)
dentro

Activity: 92

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:35:59 AM

did they already released the new firmware? By the way, where do i find the newest cgminer version for windows with HF drivers enabled?
jddebug

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:05:44 AM

I have firmware:735ccca5. I'm curious to see if anyone has a different version.

Same here 735ccca5

Mine is: ebaa1a85

I have not been able to get my BJ to run stable for over 48 hours. I need to hard reset it at least once a day. With each version of cgminer I have a different issue. The best one for me seems to be cgminer3.11.0hf1 but it seems to crap out at random intervals where mining stops and I am unable to ssh or load the web interface anymore. Hopefully new a firmware/cgminer combo will fix these issues as my warranty already has expired :/

Also there is a 7 degree difference between cores, so I might take Phil's advice and re-apply thermal paste. (Although the hottest core does not exceed 80C, so I don't think overheating is the cause if my instability issues)

It might not have anything to do with your situation but I have had problems with Hashfast devices disconnecting from cgminer if the internet connection is disrupted. They would try to return but on the two occasions this has happened I had to power cycle everything to get it going again.
ninjarobot

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:31:34 PM

It might not have anything to do with your situation but I have had problems with Hashfast devices disconnecting from cgminer if the internet connection is disrupted. They would try to return but on the two occasions this has happened I had to power cycle everything to get it going again.

That might very well be the case. I am using Comcast Xfinity and their service is really flaky. Sometimes the internet connection drops completely for a minute or so before resuming. On the other hand, the BJ itself does not feel really stable either. It reconnects every hour or so:

starsoccer9
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 05:53:10 PM

That might very well be the case. I am using Comcast Xfinity and their service is really flaky. Sometimes the internet connection drops completely for a minute or so before resuming. On the other hand, the BJ itself does not feel really stable either. It reconnects every hour or so:

damn i feel sorry for you. If you want to get rid of a unit or 2 let me know id love to buy some. Assuming they actully work at 400 and its just the connection that is making them seem slow
ninjarobot

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 06:12:56 PM

damn i feel sorry for you. If you want to get rid of a unit or 2 let me know id love to buy some. Assuming they actully work at 400 and its just the connection that is making them seem slow

This is just one unit and yes it works at around 385 GH/s at the pool. Whenever it reconnects it shows up as a new unit in cgminer but it is not. I'm hoping a software/firmware update will make it run as stable as my older ASICs from BFL and AM. (e.g. run and forget).
jddebug

Activity: 446

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 07:03:53 PM

This is just one unit and yes it works at around 385 GH/s at the pool. Whenever it reconnects it shows up as a new unit in cgminer but it is not. I'm hoping a software/firmware update will make it run as stable as my older ASICs from BFL and AM. (e.g. run and forget).

I have one that disconnects and reconnects on average 2 times per hour. Doesn't seem to have a real effect on performance at all though. Phil has said its not hurting anything as long as your hashrate isn't taking much of a hit because of it.
starsoccer9
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 08:27:20 PM

oo okay, you should have specified that. I thought you had like 10units and just a shit connection.

Relating to disconnections you could try it on windows. It works for me.

As for run and forget, as much as the BFL bothered me bfl hardware runs with maybe 1ghash fluctuation while Hashfast I have seen from basically 50gh to 2terahashes lol
legendroute

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:47:55 AM

I OCed my BJ to 610, and I can get 410GH/s at pool stably, never need a restart. Which pool do you use? I am using eliguis, and don't even have a backup pool. Would you please give any recommendation?
defcon23
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 05:21:26 PM

When do we get out Upgrades and MPP?

+1   Angry
DoogieHouser

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:34:18 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 11:23:31 PM by DoogieHouser

I got my BabyJet on the 29th. I wasn't expecting the RPi or that the warranty only supports Linux. Somewhere during setup, I read that WiFi could not be used for the initial setup. I also read that not too many USB WiFi adapters work with RPi.

I went to Staples, found an ASUS N-53, plugged it into the RPi, and the BabyJet was mining, running cgminer 3.9, which was on the SD card, clocking 421 GH. Overnight, it updated cgminer or MinePeon, and was clocking about 380 GH, then, HF Engineer Phil pushed-out cgminer 3.11, and the BabyJet couldn't even get as far as cgminer. Phil rolled the changes back to cgminer 3.9, the the BabyJet was running, and clocking 421 GH, again.

I read in the setup instructions that a 4 GB SD card is required to get the latest version

When I setup my BabyJet, the first thing I did was copy all of the files to one of my PCs, and noted that the SD card was only 2 GB. After reading the HashFast warranty, there was no way I was going to put a non-HF SD card in the BabyJet, so I Emailed tech support, and asked for them to send me an SD card that met their own setup instructions, since I didn't want to void my warranty. It got shipped Thursday, and FedEx left a delivery notice on Friday. That night, the BabyJet tried to update, and it went off-line. When I put the SD card in my PC, it said that it needed to be formatted--it appears to have been wiped clean, and I have no idea which file system to use to reformat it, or if it needs to be bootable. So, my BabyJet has been idle since midnight Friday night. I don't know if the update was pushed-out, assuming I got my SD card or what.

FedEx says the SD card will be here by 5PM. I have been checking the lobby every 20 minutes since 10:00 AM, this morning. I've lost three good days of mining because of this, and the difficulty went up again, on Friday.

At present, the RPi no longer recognizes the USB WiFi adapter. Last week, it knew it was an ASUS device. Now, the RPi thinks it's a Ralink device. If I have to order an Ethernet WiFi adapter for this thing, it will be at least another day and more money that this situation has cost me.

Unbelievable.

--Patrick

UPDATE: The new SD card has arrived. When I installed it, MinePeon got as far as the Ethernet address and re-booted, before I could even get to setup.hashfast.com.

I'm done messing with these Raspberry Pies and a boot process that wipes-out my WiFi drivers every time it re-boots. I've lost four (4) days of mining time due to messing with the RPi. The 10-day warranty is up. Now, I'll do what I should have done from the very beginning...

Lips sealed

Don't worry about temperature.  While the silicon has a wide variation, in general they seem to be work best at between 70-85C.  My experience has been that below 70C there are more errors, so you'll usually see more until the system warms up.  Be sure that if you can set your difficulty, you set it for at least 256.  That's the ideal setting for a single board.  Dual boards can go to 512, and Sierras should be at about 1024.  On some pools, such as Eligius, every few minutes or so the pool looks at your hashrate and automatically bumps you to the optimal.

We are working tracking down the cause of some of these issues.  We are dealing with 4 different areas:

1. The Raspberry Pi USB subsystem (both hardware and driver code).
2. The cgminer software
3. The system control firmware (living in the on-board Microcontroller)
4. The Silicon itself.

We've identified some issues in all of these areas.  For instance, the CRC errors seem to be an anomaly in the RPI's USB stack.  Of course it's normal for silicon of this high-performance design to exhibit some errors, but it should be such a small percentage that it isn't statistically relevant.  However, it looks like all 4 parts are conspiring together to compound the problem.  We have identified some issues with the on-board firmware, so we will be pushing an update soon.  I'll let you know when it goes out.  If you are mining with a system other than our RPI distribution, then there will be some delays as we still need to finalize and test the update mechanism.  Until then you can always get a RPI and load our image (see a few posts above) and let it run long enough to update.  The update mechanism checks for updates every hour, and within 5 minutes of boot up, so you shouldn't need much longer than that to get an update once it's made live.

If this new version of cgminer (3.11.0hf1) seems worse, let me know.  I've found it more reliable here in the lab, but I'd love to hear your experience.  Like I said, for now, disregard it's reported hashrate and use what your pool is reporting.  And yes, it's normal to see around 5% variation throughout a day.  We should have new version to push soon, and if that doesn't improve things, I'll be happy to roll you back to the old one.  All of these versions contain experimental code to try to reduce these problems, that's what the "HF" designation means.

Right now, my main goal is to ensure you keep hashing away.  So anything we can put into place, even if it's only a temporary band-aid, we won't hesitate to do it.  We don't want you to lose any revenue while we get to the bottom of this!

I've been an Engineer for a long time, and I've never worked on a project this difficult, so we appreciate you patience.  There aren't too many chips out there the size of your fingernail that suck down over 100 amps a pop, and then we crammed 4 of them together!

BTW: We just hired 2 more people so we can improve support.  Hopefully you will soon see how awesome it's getting around here!

-Phil

i

--Doogie
storm2k5

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:20:24 PM

@Doogie: Glad you got your SD card, there is also an image so you can flash your own card / reflash in case something happens:http://hashfast.com/how-to-update-babyjets-raspberry-pi-sd-card-software/

Shaxz

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 02:32:05 AM

what are you guys drawing for power at wall when you OC to 610 on your baby jet?  Curious to know if OCing uses a lot more power over stock?

Thanks in advance
perezoso

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 11, 2014, 03:42:45 AM
Last edit: February 11, 2014, 04:20:59 AM by perezoso

what are you guys drawing for power at wall when you OC to 610 on your baby jet?  Curious to know if OCing uses a lot more power over stock?

Thanks in advance

I have two BJ's, one with a board marked Rev. 1.1 and one with no markings that I've found (1.0?).  I am running them at 610.  

Even though it cost me a few satoshis, I did the experiment:

The Rev. 1.1 board draws 485 watts at the wall (well, at the surge protection, actually).  The unknown board draws 470.

The Rev. 1.1 board seems to hash just a little faster on average, but we're only talking a handful or less g/hash.

At 600 clock rate, the Rev. 1.1 board draws 474, while the no-label board draws 464.  

Since I don't think there's much of a detectable difference in hashrate between setting the clocks at 600 or 610 (a couple or few g/hash per machine... i.e. about 3 watts per g/hash), and given the risks of overclocking, I've gone down to 600.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: