Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:32:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Time Charting, Order Book, and Time & Sales  (Read 85469 times)
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 03:43:27 PM

Forgive if this is a stupid noob question, but what exactly do the blue and yellow lines indicate on the candlestick chart.  I assume they are some sort of averages, but over what parameters?

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 04:41:47 PM

I assume they are some sort of averages, but over what parameters?

The 10/21 EMAs are now plotted on bitcoin.clarkmoody.com, by the way.
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:05:48 PM

I am assuming that is days and not hours?

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1327

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 01:00:31 AM

I am assuming that is days and not hours?

On the hourly chart it's hours.  On the daily chart it's days.

Can you guess what it is on the 15 minute chart?  Wink

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 07:01:40 AM

In this picture:

both lines are higher than all the prices in all 14 time periods.  How can that be, given that one of the lines is a 10 period EMA?  The average shouldn't be higher than all 10 of the preceeding highs should it?

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 12:05:16 PM

Precisely why I am confused.

bpd

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:04:00 PM

Any chance you could add a setting that would switch the Size and Sum columns to be in dollars instead of BTC? i.e. if there were 1000 BTC offered at 9.7, show 9700, and so forth. I think it would provide a more balanced view of the book. When shown in BTC, the book implicitly looks more unbalanced toward the bid side because the same quantity of BTC represents more money at higher price levels.
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 10:42:51 PM

I don't like how one bar's 'close' is often different than the following bar's 'open'.  It looks like the value used for 'open' and 'close' are the first and last trades in that bar, whereas traditionally the 'open' price would be the last trade in the previous bar.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Narydu
Donator

Activity: 743
Merit: 510

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 11:38:47 AM

Ghe donate, feedback frame keeps overlapping data on my movile divice. Samsung S2.

Jessi

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 11:01:38 PM

One little Question;
the Data of your tool, where does it come from? Sometimes the JSON Mt.Gox ticker is "slower" than your Tool. But I was thinking,that you use the Mt.Gox-Ticker, too? Am I wrong?

www.Bitcoin-Tools.de - Price Alert & Calculator [OUTDATED!]
A little tool to keep you informed or wake you up, if Mt.Gox reaches a defined price level and a calculator to convert  BTC or USD based on live Prices. It´s not working any more, because of Mt.Gox... but it was fun to code that time... keeping this link just for reminding... Thanks to everyone for donations done that time!
BTC: 1BQTankpeCZict849JRHxxYFnwZARV3YX7 | LTC: LecEsSJMYZK7wk493QvyNzA4BxHpXviAEA | PPC: PQdjfxTbjnXThwJ5bbEgJkc9GZcKpib9DM
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 07:21:35 AM

One little Question;
the Data of your tool, where does it come from? Sometimes the JSON Mt.Gox ticker is "slower" than your Tool. But I was thinking,that you use the Mt.Gox-Ticker, too? Am I wrong?
I believe he uses the socket.io feed.  Some of the charting guys get data much faster than other methods which makes me think some of them have done some verbal negotiation on getting a priority feed as well.
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 09:28:10 AM

Anyone has a clue on what is going on right now? Either the charting tool suffers from some hick-up, the market runs crazy, or a bunch of trading bots are fighting the final fight: the bids are eaten up to ~9.30 and then plumped down to ~8.79 with the race being repeated continuously Huh

Maybe Mt.Gox is performing some tests (trades are disabled right now), or someone placed an order to trade 1M Bitcoins and Mt.Gox is not capable to clear it in real-time.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 09:45:36 AM

Anyone has a clue on what is going on right now? Either the charting tool suffers from some hick-up, the market runs crazy, or a bunch of trading bots are fighting the final fight: the bids are eaten up to ~9.30 and then plumped down to ~8.79 with the race being repeated continuously Huh

Maybe Mt.Gox is performing some tests (trades are disabled right now), or someone placed an order to trade 1M Bitcoins and Mt.Gox is not capable to clear it in real-time.

gox engine screwup. websocket loops the same trades all over again. they're working on it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 10:11:30 AM

gox engine screwup. websocket loops the same trades all over again. they're working on it.

Hm, something's fishy, though. During the last cycle it went up to 9.7 to get kicked back to 8.725 - it is obviously not cycling always over the same data, but the spikes continuously reach higher limits. Will be interesting to see where it continues when Gox opens their doors again...

Clark (OP)

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 01:11:01 PM

In this picture:

both lines are higher than all the prices in all 14 time periods.  How can that be, given that one of the lines is a 10 period EMA?  The average shouldn't be higher than all 10 of the preceeding highs should it?

The exponential decay of those averages is perfectly normal if they started at a much higher point in the previous bar.

Any chance you could add a setting that would switch the Size and Sum columns to be in dollars instead of BTC? i.e. if there were 1000 BTC offered at 9.7, show 9700, and so forth. I think it would provide a more balanced view of the book. When shown in BTC, the book implicitly looks more unbalanced toward the bid side because the same quantity of BTC represents more money at higher price levels.

Maybe, but probably not. This is a Bitcoin order book. Would it make sense to display an order book for GOOG stock in dollars instead of shares?

I don't like how one bar's 'close' is often different than the following bar's 'open'.  It looks like the value used for 'open' and 'close' are the first and last trades in that bar, whereas traditionally the 'open' price would be the last trade in the previous bar.

You are correct: the 'open' price is the first trade during that bar's period. Having an open differ from the previous close is called a 'gap,' and it occurs frequently in thinly-traded markets such as ours. One way that my chart differs from traditional ones is that I do not show a candle if there was no trade during that time period. So if you look on the other currencies that are not traded as much as USD, you will see a few candles that jump around, instead of pages and pages of empty candles, representing no trading activity.

One little Question;
I believe he uses the socket.io feed.  Some of the charting guys get data much faster than other methods which makes me think some of them have done some verbal negotiation on getting a priority feed as well.

The socket.io feed outputs a 'ticker' message every so often, and I display that information as well. The feed is fast, as I believe it is hooked right into the trading engine at Gox (or at least that's the way it should be). However, I do not have any sort of special agreement with the exchange, but I wish I did since the feed goes down every now and then.

Ghe donate, feedback frame keeps overlapping data on my movile divice. Samsung S2.

I have not done any work on a mobile site. Perhaps you'd like to start a bounty campaign  Wink

Hm, something's fishy, though. During the last cycle it went up to 9.7 to get kicked back to 8.725 - it is obviously not cycling always over the same data, but the spikes continuously reach higher limits. Will be interesting to see where it continues when Gox opens their doors again...

At first glance, it looks like the chart has recovered from this episode, meaning that the server-side database of trades is not messed up (thankfully).

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 06:15:56 PM

In this picture:

https://i.imgur.com/RNo0a.png

The exponential decay of those averages is perfectly normal if they started at a much higher point in the previous bar.

Ah, yes.

I was misunderstand what an Exponential Moving Average was.  A 10 day EMA takes more than 10 days' worth of data into account.  In fact it takes all previous prices into account, but exponentially less so the further back it goes.

It looks like the formula for calculating EMA is:

new_ema = last_ema + (new_close - last_ema) * 2 / (periods + 1)

where periods is the number of time periods (10 or 21).

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
kentrolla

Activity: 1512
Merit: 562

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 10:55:27 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2012, 11:25:47 AM by kentrolla

Is there any way that you could add an option to add audio for trades? I would really love to be able to hear a noise for every uptick and a different noise for every downtick and something else for just white trades. This way I don't have to be watching the chart 24/7 to look for a rally/crash. I can be browsing a different website and still hear it, so i don't have to check in on it all the time, I can also just hear it happen across the room and get to my computer to trade. I could also just listen to the trades when i go to sleep. There are so many other benefits to adding audio. This would help my day trading A LOT.  also, it would be nice to be able to ignore low volume trades under a certain threshold. those .01btc bots would get annoying as far as the audio goes. I would set mine to .1btc. I suggest making different options for the threshold. Anyways, IF you implement these changes, I'll pay you 10btc.

EDIT: also it would be nice if there was a sound for when u get disconnected and reconnected. that way if there hasn't been a trade for a while then you don't have to check to see if you were disconnected or not.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Clark (OP)

So much code.

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 09:36:17 PM

I'll pay you 10btc

Now that's the way to get a feature request to the front of the queue.  Smiley

So a total of 5 sound events: up tick, even, down tick (with volume filter), disconnect, reconnect.

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 09:37:12 PM

I'll pay you 10btc

Now that's the way to get a feature request to the front of the queue.  Smiley

So a total of 5 sound events: up tick, even, down tick (with volume filter), disconnect, reconnect.
Clark....

I already have this implemented as a GreaseMonkey plugin if that helps at all.

Clark (OP)

So much code.

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 09:51:44 PM

Clark....

I already have this implemented as a GreaseMonkey plugin if that helps at all.

That's ok.

However, I am interested in what sounds would be good for this though. Obviously, Windows/Mac/Linux sounds would add confusion, so I'd like to find some that are free and work well.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: