Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:20:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trust system abuse / DT2 member Vod is provably dishonestly rating people  (Read 5764 times)
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:13:30 PM

I would draw everyone's attention to the Uniform Commercial Code of the United States, which states in section 2-328 (4):

If the auctioneer knowingly receives a bid on the seller's behalf or the seller makes or procures such a bid, and notice has not been given that liberty for such bidding is reserved, the buyer may at his option avoid the sale or take the goods at the price of the last good faithbid prior to the completion of the sale. [Emphasis added]

You did not provide advance notice, therefore you acted unlawfully.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anduck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:18:15 PM

No, I don't remember saying such. Looks like a fake quote me. Vod, wtf?

Bad choice of verb from Suchmoon.

Do you remember POSTING the following words at anytime in the past, whether you deleted them or not?   Cheesy

Dear community I have done a mistake by bidding on my own public bidding thread and did not realize that it was wrong.

However now I have realized, it was unethical and should not have done it.

I apologize to all participants and to the community publicly. I will be more open and will clearly announce my intentions properly before any bidding I start or auctions I may place.

Now to Vod, i was little stubborn before, but now since I have realized can we please neutralize the trust. I already promised it won’t happen again.

Source? I vaguely remember something, but not that. I've not deleted any of my posts.

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:20:00 PM

It's right here. You quoted the post by shahzadafzal:

If I was you, OP

Dear community I have done a mistake by bidding on my own public bidding thread and did not realize that it was wrong.

I apologize to all participants and to the community publicly. I will be more open and will clearly announce my intentions properly before any bidding I start or auctions I may place.

Now to Vod, i was little stubborn before, but now since I have realized can we please neutralize the trust. I already promised it won’t happen again.

Click Post.

I did a mistake as I did an uncommon thing. It was two years ago. There is nothing untrustworthy in what I did whatsoever. There's nothing immoral or unethical in auctioneer bidding on the auction, transparently so everyone knows and sees what's happening. It's called hidden non-disclosed reserve price and is a commonly done thing around the world in various auctions.
Vod has harassed me, abused his position and keeps on blatantly lying about me to whoever listens to and trusts him.
I am not licking Vods ass because he is threatening me.
Anduck (OP)
Legendary

quack

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:25:29 PM

It's right here. You quoted the post by shahzadafzal:

If I was you, OP

Click Post.

I did a mistake as I did an uncommon thing. It was two years ago. There is nothing untrustworthy in what I did whatsoever. There's nothing immoral or unethical in auctioneer bidding on the auction, transparently so everyone knows and sees what's happening. It's called hidden non-disclosed reserve price and is a commonly done thing around the world in various auctions.
Vod has harassed me, abused his position and keeps on blatantly lying about me to whoever listens to and trusts him.
I am not licking Vods ass because he is threatening me.

Very funny. It's early hours here, so forgive me. Smiley I always quote people who I am replying to.

Vod, you want to keep this ridiculously escalated up? I am pointing out: you base your actions on misunderstanding, in my view. I already told you you misunderstood me heavily (and illogically), but you refused to listen. I still have strong opinion that you're a net positive for the forum. I am saying this once again so there's no confusion about that. This is strictly about DT position abuse.

Anduck (OP)
Legendary

quack

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:30:06 PM

Yes, I bid on my own auction. Yes, I don't see it as untrustworthy. When have I ever claimed anything else?

Quote from: Anduck

I always say, when you lie, you need a good memory.  Smiley

To emphasize this: The latter quote quoted by Vod is not my words. It is fake quote done by Vod, and apparently was meant as a joke.

Let's try to not derail this thread more.

KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:32:48 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

I'll add my .0000002BTC for what it's worth.
Bid shilling is a shady (at best) act, I don't care how you try to paint it. In your opinion, it's valid but to many others, it is despised and will/has severely hurt your credibility.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
Anduck (OP)
Legendary

quack

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:39:29 PM

Bid shilling is a shady (at best) act, I don't care how you try to paint it. In your opinion, it's valid but to many others, it is despised and will/has severely hurt your credibility.

Having a hidden non-disclosed reserve price, or "auctioneer bidding on the auction" is uncommon here. It's common around the world, though. There's nothing shady in it, if you carefully think about it. Auction rules are same for everyone. It's just a matter of not disclosing that there's a reserve price. In the end, you either meet the reserve price or you don't. It's a nice bonus to know that there is such, in advance. I agree on that.

This seems to be something very cultural, as people from different cultures seem to have strong opinions about it. You can read about various auction styles around the world to learn more. You can also logically think about what happens when an auctioneer bids on the auction held, when it's done transparently and not via shills (which would be very shady). My logic tells me there's nothing untrustworthy, shady or immoral in it. Some may say it's unpleasant surprise and waste of time for the bidders to learn about the non-disclosed hidden reserve price, if it exists. I somewhat agree on this. After all, auction rules are same for all. When everything is done transparently and everyone knows that the auctioneer is bidding too, what makes auctioneer bidding shady?

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 10:42:30 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2018, 12:00:02 AM by Vod

To emphasize this: The latter quote quoted by Vod is not my words. It is fake quote done by Vod, and apparently was meant as a joke.

At this point, I doubt people will believe you if you say it is raining.

Not a fake quote by Vod - not meant as a joke.  I do not view scamming as funny.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4415201.msg39391773#msg39391773

I will deal with the OP of that post to determine the legitimacy of the quote.
Looks like the OP was suggesting a post he believes Anadduck should make.  :/

Vod, you want to keep this ridiculously escalated up?

I do not - but I doubt you are done with your tantrum.  :/

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:45:23 PM

snip

See above. You will never convince me bid shilling is ethical. Anyone that does this deserves to be discredited. By your process, you win/win every time. You either keep the goods or get the price you want. Why not just start at the price you want or set a reserve. What is the purpose of an auction in this case?
You can try to justify it all you want but in the end, it is not justifiable and unethical.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
Anduck (OP)
Legendary

quack

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:46:45 PM

At this point, I doubt people will believe you if you say it is raining.

Not a fake quote by Vod - not meant as a joke.  I do not view scamming as funny.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4415201.msg39391773#msg39391773

I will deal with the OP of that post to determine the legitimacy of the quote.

Vod, you want to keep this ridiculously escalated up?

I do not - but I doubt you are done with your tantrum.  :/

I was trying to solve it. You blocked me. Tantrum part is yours: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3869593.msg38658847#msg38658847. I am being vocal due to this abuse.

User shahzadafzal clearly stated "If I was OP, post this" and presented a ready text to be posted. It's not a quote said by me and nobody (except you?) is hinting that either.

mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:47:05 PM

Having a hidden non-disclosed reserve price, or "auctioneer bidding on the auction" is uncommon here. It's common around the world, though. There's nothing shady in it, if you carefully think about it. Auction rules are same for everyone. It's just a matter of not disclosing that there's a reserve price. In the end, you either meet the reserve price or you don't. It's a nice bonus to know that there is such, in advance. I agree on that.

This seems to be something very cultural, as people from different cultures seem to have strong opinions about it. You can read about various auction styles around the world to learn more. You can also logically think about what happens when an auctioneer bids on the auction held, when it's done transparently and not via shills (which would be very shady). My logic tells me there's nothing untrustworthy, shady or immoral in it. Some may say it's unpleasant surprise and waste of time for the bidders to learn about the non-disclosed hidden reserve price, if it exists. I somewhat agree on this. After all, auction rules are same for all. When everything is done transparently and everyone knows that the auctioneer is bidding too, what makes auctioneer bidding shady?
My logic: You keep saying your logic, in your opinion etc etc but can you see your logic is completely different than rest of us here?
is uncommon: You were dealing with common people so you made them upset.

Sorry mate. There is no point to write back and forth here. It's good that you admitted the mistake and thanks for that.
Your case is very weak and you are not getting anything from here. Bad luck for this but good luck for the future. See you around.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Anduck (OP)
Legendary

quack

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:50:47 PM

snip

See above. You will never convince me bid shilling is ethical. Anyone that does this deserves to be discredited. By your process, you win/win every time. You either keep the goods or get the price you want. Why not just start at the price you want or set a reserve. What is the purpose of an auction in this case?
You can try to justify it all you want but in the end, it is not justifiable and unethical.

Starting at the price at "buy now" -price, or setting a reserve would have the same "win/win" outcome, right? Again, nothing untrustworthy or shady by thinking about it logically. The only downside of having non-disclosed hidden reserve price is that bidders may be wasting time, or may not win an auction due to a reserve price. Think about it: What is changed when auction rules state that there's a hidden reserve price? How is it different to not disclosing it? Keep your mind open, never say never.

Bid shilling is different, and means that seller is using others/alts to bid up the price.

What is the purpose of an auction in this case?

For example to find a price level of certain item? Various purposes, really. How is that relevant anyway?

Anduck (OP)
Legendary

quack

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:52:35 PM

Your case is very weak and you are not getting anything from here. Bad luck for this but good luck for the future. See you around.

Vod abusing his DT position, threatening me, lying about me etc., and general abuse/fear of voicing opinions/account wrecking done by DT members is the case. Not that auction.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:55:44 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2018, 11:07:08 PM by Welsh
Merited by suchmoon (5), pugman (1)

Alright. I think it's time to address the key facts , and certain things which could of been misinterpreted. It's incredibly difficult to keep up with all the information which has been presented, and remembering it all when presenting an argument. I'm going to try my best to address the issues, and my personal opinion about the facts, and accusations. I'm not a lawyer, and it seems that the self bidding is a somewhat complex issue. So let's try, and look at this diplomatically instead of claiming abuse.

First of all let's address the topic subject; "Trust abuse"

Vod left you the feedback of: "Scammed other users by bidding on his own auction. States he does not believe this is unethical. Also admitted to me in PM he lied about this matter." Ref: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1399824.0

So let's dissect this:

"Scammed" this is actually subjective. I've already voiced my concerns about the practice of auctioneers bidding on their own auctions, however I'm willing to concede that in some auctions this is an accepted practice. Although, having said that it's normally specified in the original terms that the auctioneer can bid themselves. Let's make this clear that this isn't a requirement in some jurisdictions, but more of a courtesy.  

This is all depending on the country/state you live in. In some countries, and US states it's prohibited to self bid, unless disclosed prior to the auction. So, depending on how you view this it's very difficult to know which laws/rules to follow when the forum is home to such a diverse amount of people with various different nationalities, and cultures. There's no one rule that we could possibly follow so it's probably better to follow your own personal ethics. I do believe Vod has likely followed his own ethics when leaving the feedback that he left.

In short. I personally would be willing to say that you haven't scammed anyone per say. TheNewAnon135246 was the one that maybe should have won the auction, and may feel that he was scammed, but they have been largely nonvocal to my knowledge on this whole thing. (possibly because it's since been sold to them)

Vod then goes on about it being "unethical", and that you do not believe it to be so. Well, let's just pinpoint he is saying "unethical", and not illegal. Therefore, this is subjective, and leaves a lot to be interpreted by the individual leaving the feedback.

Now, Vod could potentially back up this claim if he wanted (he doesn't really have to due to it being subjective) in saying that the self bid was made somewhat close to the end of the auction. Possibly in an attempt to: 1. Prolong the auction in attempt for higher bids 2. Not sell at the going price.

These two points could be argued further, because of your admittance that you should have set a reserve price or higher starting price.

Okay, so looking at the personal messages exchanged between the two of you I'm finding it very difficult to understand from a external point of view, and therefore can't come up with a logical, and accurate opinion.  There's one thing looking at messages, and another actually understanding them. None of us on the outside were there at the time, and therefore have no idea of the factors which may have played a part in the exchange e.g stress, tension, past dealings (you've previously claimed you ran into problems with Vod prior to this). What it looks like to me is that both of you may have been playing tactical tennis at first, and hoping the issue would resolve itself, but none of you were willing to make the first move. Maybe, Vod did by reducing it to a neutral, but you didn't think that was enough due to the word "scammer" in the rating. I'm not sure about this, and it's more of an assumption than anything else.

I know you tried to summarize the messages sent in one of your posts, but the thing is you've also included your personal opinions/explanations which lead to bias opinions being formulated.

If we were to look at the claim of "not factual" then the only argument I see is that the word "scammed" might be subjective, because you might get off on a technicality that self bidding is allowed in certain jurisdictions.  

My personal view point was made clear in one of my previous posts in another topic that I personally don't consider self bidding ethical if it's not clearly disclosed prior to the auction start. I also made the point that I wouldn't of had too much of an issue if someone wasn't already winning the auction, and quite close to winning it. I wasn't actually aware that self bidding was common practice when I made my reply a few weeks back.

I've since looked into it, but the consensus is that it should be disclosed publicly. Not legally, but as a ethical stand point I would agree. I expect you are willing to disclose this in the future, because you've repeatedly said that you acknowledge that it's generally not accepted, and you willing to disclose reserve prices etc.  

However, you did suggest here that the coin was sold to the highest bidder:
What ended up happening with that coin? Did you sell it to TheNewAnon? Or did you end up not selling it at all?

Sold to the highest bidder.

I'm not sure if you mean the actual high bidder which was you or TheNewAnon. However, even if it was sold to TheNewAnon this didn't seem to be your initial intention. I say this because you were accepting offers for the coin after the auction had ended. Unfortunately, I can't quote this effectively due to it being in a locked topic. However, anyone can read through the replies to verify this.  At this time the coin wasn't sold per your own words, and that you were accepting offers in PM.

Let's try to wrap this up as this is a headache to try, and digest and figure out what is factual, and what is fiction. Generally, speaking this isn't a problem legally, or anything like that. It's more of the personal viewpoint of the person leaving the trust. I would back up anyone that says self bidding without a disclosure is unethical. However, I'm prepared to admit that this is rather subjective, and could be easily be interpreted the other way.

However, at the end of the day it's up to the person leaving the feedback, and I personally don't believe Vod is abusing his power. Maybe, his feedback could be worded differently considering the technicalities mentioned earlier,but in all honesty This has escalated into a personal problem between the two of you.  

My personal view point is I don't consider what you did ethical. I think I've made that more than clear. However, I concede that you may have an argument that self bidding is an accepted practice. Although, this doesn't translate into being ethical. In cases like this I would personally consider past history, and attitude of the issue.

You have a good history in general, and would of probably been considered trustworthy before all of this. Your attitude is harder to determine. It's hard to look at the feedback you left on Vod, and consider whether it was retaliatory or not. You also seem to push the ideas that self bidding is legal, and is used in a wide variety of auctions. You've also conceded yourself that in future auctions you shall take on board this learning experience, and alter them by including a reserve price etc.

mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 10:59:12 PM

Vod abusing his DT position, threatening me, lying about me etc., and general abuse/fear of voicing opinions/account wrecking done by DT members is the case. Not that auction.
How would I count your words where you do not understand or try to realize that bidding on your own auction is no way ethical. Everything started from that auction. If the auction would never happen then you would never get the red trust from vod at the first place and we all would never end up writing back and forth here.

You are saying things against him same like the others who received negs from him. These types of actions are common. Your words are biased and not countable.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Anduck (OP)
Legendary

quack

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:06:55 PM

How would I count your words where you do not understand or try to realize that bidding on your own auction is no way ethical. Everything started from that auction. If the auction would never happen then you would never get the red trust from vod at the first place and we all would never end up writing back and forth here.

You are saying things against him same like the others who received negs from him. These types of actions are common. Your words are biased and not countable.

Read this thread. Read his rating. He is calling me a scammer and a liar. I've not scammed or lied. In my view, auctioneer bidding on the auction is *not unethical*. I simply don't see how it's shady or immoral. It's common practice in my country, and is simply a hidden non-disclosed reserve price. Auction rules are same for everybody! You're fighting for the auctioned item with everybody else. Shill bidding is *very* different from self-bidding. These are complex things anyway. Vod told me he doesn't see my actions regarding that auction as untrustworthy. He negatively rated me when I told him I do not trust him. It pissed him off. This is how I see it. All this "omg he self-bid, it's so wrong" bullshit is the only thing Vod finds about me, so he is using it to reason his negative rating. Read the linked source threads and even the raw sources (private conversation between Vod and me) and so on to grasp what's going on. Vod negatively rated me because he outburst at me after misunderstanding me illogically. It had nothing to do with this auction per se.

He is lying about me in his current rating towards me. I've not scammed anyone in any auction, and I've not lied to Vod in any PM or public conversation. Yet he claims these things to be true. This has been presented multiple times also in this thread. There's no way for Vod to defend himself as he's provably wrong, and he's too proud to admit to be wrong.

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2018, 11:13:44 PM

Starting at the price at "buy now" -price, or setting a reserve would have the same "win/win" outcome, right? Again, nothing untrustworthy or shady by thinking about it logically. The only downside of having non-disclosed hidden reserve price is that bidders may be wasting time, or may not win an auction due to a reserve price. Think about it: What is changed when auction rules state that there's a hidden reserve price? How is it different to not disclosing it? Keep your mind open, never say never.

Bid shilling is different, and means that seller is using others/alts to bid up the price.

From the point of view of a legitimate bidder there is no difference between bid shilling and what you did. Your bid was intended to prevent the high bidder from getting the item and/or to drive the price up. Both shitty outcomes for someone who wasted time on your auction and potentially forfeited other opportunities due to being duped by your "hidden reserve". Your continued insistence that this can't possibly be unethical makes Vod's feedback seem quite solid.

What is the purpose of an auction in this case?

For example to find a price level of certain item? Various purposes, really. How is that relevant anyway?

It sounds quite relevant. If someone sees Vod's feedback and decides to not bid on your auction because it might be one of those fake price fishing ones - that's great I think. I'm a big fan of informed decisions. You're not disclosing these peculiarities in your own auctions so Vod is helping you out. Please thank Vod and move along.
pandaki85

Activity: 41
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 11:17:03 PM

For me, this is much more complicated than marriage issues. And I just born into this forum. In my opinion, it's all about red-rating and I think it's love. You both won't remove the love. What should we do? Huh
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 12:01:06 AM

You might find legitimate disagreement on this point. Why, specifically, is bidding on your own auction (in the open) unethical? It might not be the norm and other bidders might not like it, I'll give you that. But is there a specific forum rule? If not, we should look to brick-and-mortar auction customs.

I came across this blog that discusses the legal issues (with reference to US law):

Can the seller bid at auction?

What do the laws in the United States, and what have the courts in the United States, said about such practice? Basically, the courts have consistently stated that:

• By the seller bidding, either himself or by proxy, such action constitutes a reserve

What does state law say about the seller bidding? First, almost all state law says that if the seller may only bid at a “with reserve” type auction. Secondly, that if the seller wants to reserve the right to bid, that such must be disclosed to the other bidders. Third, that if the seller bids without such disclosure, that the high bidder on property on which the seller bid can take the property at the last good faith bid prior to the seller bidding.

However, there is a consistent exception to all of this, which state law and the courts have upheld. At a forced sale, no matter the type of auction, the seller may bid without any disclosure. Such auctions are often court-ordered events, such as foreclosures, repossessions and the like. We discussed this in more detail in our article about Auctions and Forced Sales.

It looks like there are cases where it's legal and customary for a seller to bid on his own auction. I imagine outside of the US, there may be jurisdictions with less restrictions on this as well.

As such, it definitely seems overkill to permanently tag someone over a first-time offense for this. It's impossible for anyone to be defrauded by Anduck's actions here, since it was done in the open. No one ever heard of a warning?

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 12:06:41 AM

You might find legitimate disagreement on this point. Why, specifically, is bidding on your own auction (in the open) unethical? It might not be the norm and other bidders might not like it, I'll give you that. But is there a specific forum rule? If not, we should look to brick-and-mortar auction customs.
It's not against forum rules. However, this isn't evidence that it's ethical. Legality, and ethics are different. It just so happens the majority of laws are based on ethics. Judging it's ethics in relation to the forums stance on whether or not it's against the rules is a moot point really. The forum doesn't moderate scams for example which are certainly unethical.

I'm not comparing the issue here with scams, however forum rules or how theymos interpreters the matter really doesn't make a difference because he isn't the one that left the feedback. This is why these sort of cases are so complex when ethics are involved there's 'bout to be people who disagree strongly. We all have different opinions on several different matters. Some people may have opposing opinions on the death sentence for example, but none of them can be arguably proven right or wrong. It's the same case here in that it depends on the individuals reviewing the case. I have generally mixed feelings about this scenario, and normally offer the benefit of the doubt. Would I personally bid on his auction in the future? Probably not. But, I haven't added any trust rating for a reason. Although, I understand why someone would.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: