Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:39:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What if someone forgot the key to their bitcoin wallet ?  (Read 1880 times)
BTC.Turtle (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:16:52 PM

What are the measures to keep your private key safe and in memory ? Are there any alternatives to retrieve the key back ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jossiel

Activity: 2982
Merit: 632

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:38:40 PM

What are the measures to keep your private key safe and in memory ?
Print your private keys to any form of paper that you can keep for safety. Don't trust your memory even you are the champion in memory verse challenges, it isn't enough to keep your funds.

You can also create a file on a notepad and save it to a flash drive and don't use that drive to any computer that you don't own. Don't use it to public places.

Are there any alternatives to retrieve the key back ?
If you lost it, that's lost forever.

Signature for rent
Crypto_Sassy

Activity: 169
Merit: 18

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:07:19 PM

Print your private keys to any form of paper that you can keep for safety. Don't trust your memory even you are the champion in memory verse challenges, it isn't enough to keep your funds.

You can also create a file on a notepad and save it to a flash drive and don't use that drive to any computer that you don't own. Don't use it to public places.

Apart from that , I will suggest you to take the periodic backup of your wallet.dat file and store in some other storage/device (other than the system where wallet is installed). It is also considered as a good practice.
gnaylor

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:14:26 PM

I have kept my private keys in written form in my personal diary its the safest way to keep your private keys. Saving in Computer or laptop is risky because if it gets damaged you will lose all so best if to keep your private keys in written form.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:32:13 PM

This. Even if your memory skills are top-notch, you could easily lose that skill on an accident like hitting your head hard somewhere.

Huge NO. This is a huge security vulnerability. Yes, you can safely secure your private keys on your computer or a flash drive, but it's a lot lot harder to do securely than just saving it in a text file. Saving it straight off in a text file is a BAD BAD idea. To store your keys on a computer safely, you'd have to make an air-gapped device; which is definitely not easy to do. Keep it simple. Pieces of paper on multiple secure places.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
chelle5

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:53:24 PM

Is a big lost for you because you can not get it any more what you have, so better right it or keep it in the way that you think is safe do one or two copies.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     │      JINBI      │       T H E   G O L D E N   I C O     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████████                     JOIN ICO  -  21st  J U N E                     ████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Reddit           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
kayakcrypto9875

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:13:26 PM

It is best to store your private key actually writing it on paper or diary. For security reason you can store it with a riddle or encrypted massage in several places.
To retrieve lost private key is kind of impossible. But again if you ever store it on your pc and cant find it you may use hex editor.
antisocial77

Activity: 378
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 05:19:36 PM

thx god im poor. noone would waste time to steal my sats.

Silica NeXus                 
▄▄▄▄▄  Crowdfund the Nexus  ▄▄▄▄▄
Gaaara

Activity: 1106
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:20:08 PM

What are the measures to keep your private key safe and in memory ? Are there any alternatives to retrieve the key back ?

As long as you have a copy or you saved the file of your key then it shouldn't be a problem. People should be aware how much important the key of a certain wallet there is something you can do to ensure that even if you forget you will still be able to access your wallet, mine is that I am currently using a metamask so its okay if I loss my key because all I need to remember is my password from it.

MOCKTAIL  -  THE  FIRST  SEMI-FUNGIBLE  TOKEN  ON  BSE 
        WEBSITE        WHITEPAPER        SMART CONTRACT        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        TELEGRAM        ANN

cissrawk

Activity: 1218
Merit: 410

Secure your crypto : https://notyourkeys.org

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:20:12 PM

If you didn't make any backup for your wallet, then you can't get your wallet back.
Backup your seeds or private key offline, such as write it or print it and keep it in safe place.

I'm doing steam artwork.Official thread (Indo, but please pm me even if you're english speaker) : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5323281
NOT YOUR KEYS, NOT YOUR MONEY. PLEASE PROTECT YOUR MONEY! More info click here or go to NotYourKeys.org
Trade Crypto and get 10% cashback BTC16CYsf1yonoVAN3jLAJguREmoJfCy5twi4
IMMBAGGA

Activity: 73

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:32:32 PM

You may keep hard copy of your private key. I.e take print and keep safe in locker.  Also you may keep it in you secured file which requires to be opened with OTP received on mobile.
twostepsally

Activity: 630
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:34:24 PM

Most of the people not check the wallet price day by day and people not check the wallet price and some people not connect the Mail ID. So it some time affect the wallet safeties. keep your private key safe and in memory. Are there any alternatives to retrieve the key back. So good future saving wallet. So don't share the wallet information any one. If share it affect the future saving. So connect with your personal mail ID. If forget any information connect the mail. Then easy to clear the issues.
Musstang

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:03:10 PM

Now online wallets allow you to restore access.
Of course, if you keep bitcoin locally and lose the key, you will most likely lose your savings forever

|▶   GREENX   |  THE WORLD’S MOST SOPHISTICATED GREEN ENERGY NETWORK   ◀|
Whitepaper   |▶     Private Sale 16 Apr 2018     ◀|   Presentation
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    Telegram    Facebook    Twitter    Medium    GitHub    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
HiringYou

Activity: 574
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:23:43 PM

If someone forget the key to their Bitcoin wallet then their money will be of no use because they will not be able to access their wallet.I don't think it is possible to get out of this situation but we can prevent us from getting into such situation.A simple and an easy way for this is to make a copy of your private key and keep it in a secure place.You can write it on a paper,copy it in a notepad file and can save that file in your computer and your pen drive or any other way if you want.Keep in mind that no one should know that where you have kept the copy of your key.Otherwise someone will access your wallet and will misuse your money.
coralwoods18

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:43:18 PM

I have heard there are some teams or organizations that do service of recovering lost private key. I dont know is this even possible or they are just fraud.
PsylockReborn

Activity: 420
Merit: 24

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 06:50:50 PM

Write it down or print it out then store it at a very secure place where in only you have an access to that piece of paper. Always remember that the faintest ink is always better than the sharpest mind. You can't tell or predict what will happen to you in the future. God forbids, if something happens to your memory, you won't be able to access your funds if you lose access of your wallet and private key.
Kwame Genius

Activity: 260
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 06:54:16 PM

Yes printing your keys on a paper will be the best solution rather than to save it on a flash drive. Why am i saying this, last month while i was in my room working thieves broke into my room and toke my laptop when the drive was connected to the laptop. Now i have lost everything, my little dollars is gone.

center]fLibero.Financial
Hyper deflationary | Automatic Staking & Compounding
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:01:50 PM

Yes printing your keys on a paper will be the best solution rather than to save it on a flash drive. Why am i saying this, last month while i was in my room working thieves broke into my room and toke my laptop when the drive was connected to the laptop. Now i have lost everything, my little dollars is gone.

It is not a good idea unless you decide to encrypt the seed. One should not keep their private key or the seed digitally but encrypting it using for example VeraCrypt. You can easily copy your encrypted container to many external devices, for example, on SD cards which are small and waterproof. A strong password is advised in a such case to prevent a successful bruteforce attack. Some people still prefer paper but the biggest problem is a proper place to store it.
dbutp

Activity: 171
Merit: 10

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 07:32:09 PM

It's bad when someone forgot the key to their bitcoin wallet. The value of bitcoin is big, I think they will be very sad. You have to note your key to their bitcoin wallet where you can see when you need it.

T O W E R B E E      |  PLATFORM FOR EVERYDAY BUSINESS      [ TowerX ]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬        ICO  >  on our exchange TowerX        ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
FACEBOOK        MEDIUM        TWITTER        LINKEDIN        REDDIT        TELEGRAM
Rinchik

Activity: 18

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2018, 08:59:37 PM

Be careful(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: