Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:30:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the Occupy movement not immediately embracing bitcoin?  (Read 17887 times)
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 06:51:43 AM

Why?

Because 0.1% guys hold 50% of Bitcoins. It's worse than Wall Street.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 11:12:49 AM

Calling all early adopters. Bitcoin is cheap enough now that you can potentially earn 10x your money. It has seen $30 before and may again if you act now and buy at $3. Now you can own 99% of bitcoin and be the 1%

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 11:16:59 AM

Why?

Because 0.1% guys hold 50% of Bitcoins. It's worse than Wall Street.

Discussed here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47747.0

This stats is BS. I own none of the addresses in there. But if I had combined all my addresses into one I'd be high up the list. So am i one of the 0.1% of oscenely rich guys or am I 50 poor guys?

And even if true - anyone can currently buy BTC 1000 - it's less than $4000. So your chance. Buy BTC 1000 and you may be one of the richest people on the planet in 10 years. So stop complaining and buy.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 11:20:02 AM

Red makes an excellent analysis in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48521.0

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 06:06:55 PM

And even if true - anyone can currently buy BTC 1000 - it's less than $4000. So your chance. Buy BTC 1000 and you may be one of the richest people on the planet in 10 years. So stop complaining and buy.

Sorry, my fault - it's just $2600.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Ragnar

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 06:10:30 PM

Red makes an excellent analysis in this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=48521.0
That people's jealousy could hinder Bitcoin?
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 06:21:41 PM

Sorry, my fault - it's just $2600.

Sorry, just sold $2,400 worth of Bitcoin over last 24 hours to pay for my flight and hotel to London. My bad!
Besides, I was just "using them" like the anti-hoarders/speculators said I should be.
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 06:38:22 PM

This link was end to me by a friend who did a Bitcoin promotion during the occupy demonstration in Amsterdam last Saturday (look right in the middle):

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2720/Nieuws/photoalbum/detail/2968967/309348/25/Occupy-demonstratie-trekt-dik-1000-man-in-Amsterdam.dhtml

The site is one of the larger news papers in the Netherlands
niemivh

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 07:36:44 PM

Perhaps they are unable to be duped by the promises of the Bitcon community.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
JA37

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 07:46:08 PM

That people who aren't already in the game have little incentive to join.

Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 07:50:05 PM

That people who aren't already in the game have little incentive to join.

That's where networking effects come in, and what the community needs to build. Even people who hate facebook and twitter eventually join just because their friends are on there. If bitcoin starts being accepted everywhere, even SomethingAwfull goons will have no choice but to embrace it.
JA37

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 07:58:08 PM

That's where networking effects come in, and what the community needs to build. Even people who hate facebook and twitter eventually join just because their friends are on there. If bitcoin starts being accepted everywhere, even SomethingAwfull goons will have no choice but to embrace it.

Have a look at Red's post. It's a good post that details the problem.
You think Tenebrix was unfair with 7M premined coins? Well, try Bitcoin that in about a year will have 50% premined. A tiny minority controls 50% of all coins, leaving the rest of the world to split the rest. If the rich minority stop mining, which they won't do. Try to get acceptance for that system from those who believe that the current elite have a too big share of the wealth.

Ragnar

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 08:06:46 PM

You think Tenebrix was unfair with 7M premined coins? Well, try Bitcoin that in about a year will have 50% premined. A tiny minority controls 50% of all coins, leaving the rest of the world to split the rest. If the rich minority stop mining, which they won't do. Try to get acceptance for that system from those who believe that the current elite have a too big share of the wealth.
Since when has wealth been a limited pie? I'm lost with you folks.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 08:28:55 PM

If we sit on our coins doing nothing, they aren't worth anything. If we use them and spend them, they will keep getting distributed through the rest of society. OP's claims could have also been applied to Google stock (or any stock, really), yet people still buy. Those same people can be just as ignorant about bitcoin as they have been about stocks.
Besides, considering the concentration of USD, I'd think people would be used to bitcoin.
Rarity

Activity: 182

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 11:48:24 PM

I don't want to pay taxes, but I also don't want to rely upon government services. Unfortunately, they do not allow competition, so I have no choice.

There is plenty of competition.  There are 196 countries in the world for you to choose from and find the government most to your liking.  There are plenty of countries that will let you live as a subsistence farmer and never trouble you for taxes at all. 

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
Ragnar

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 12:02:39 AM

I don't want to pay taxes, but I also don't want to rely upon government services. Unfortunately, they do not allow competition, so I have no choice.

There is plenty of competition.  There are 196 countries in the world for you to choose from and find the government most to your liking.  There are plenty of countries that will let you live as a subsistence farmer and never trouble you for taxes at all.  

I have visited about 19 of them and lived in four seperate continents. Different sceneries, different people but different political systems? No. You have to look where the money flows, my friend. Political sovereignty today is a myth. If we look at the UN and our current banking system, there is now a higher power and it isn't our governments. I don't know why people haven't figured this out yet. We are becoming more globalized by the second. We'll see if the coming powers know what they are doing.
Rarity

Activity: 182

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 12:23:45 AM

Subsistence farmers pay no mind.

Anyway, I've only lived in the US and here in London but I've noticed a ton of difference in systems of government.  It's just that the solutions to common problems tend to be similar at the macro level, but even among states in the US there is a wide difference in laws from who you can marry to what medicine you can use to how much tax you pay.  There was another poster here in the past who talked extensively about how the UN banking system controls the world, he had much less life experience than you but I think both you and he have missed how much variety there can be in how people live even aside from financial matters.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 03:32:03 AM

There is plenty of competition.  There are 196 countries in the world for you to choose from and find the government most to your liking.  There are plenty of countries that will let you live as a subsistence farmer and never trouble you for taxes at all.  

I have visited about 19 of them and lived in four seperate continents. Different sceneries, different people but different political systems? No. You have to look where the money flows, my friend. Political sovereignty today is a myth. If we look at the UN and our current banking system, there is now a higher power and it isn't our governments. I don't know why people haven't figured this out yet. We are becoming more globalized by the second. We'll see if the coming powers know what they are doing.

Ragnar I feel like I've read all these exact posts somewhere before but I just can't put my finger on it...
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 09:52:53 AM

Why is occupy Wall street movement not immediately embracing bitcoin?

Because they behave like monkeys.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:10:29 AM

Probably because Bitcoin is a pretty complicated concept to get ones head around- not that the Occupy people aren't smart- but I don't think it's really up their alley.

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: