Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:53:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 102 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed 5-Chip USB, Blade & Black Miner Support/Tuning  (Read 308623 times)
emoomjean

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:17:59 PM

Do you know of any hubs that keep all the ports on a single level?  I already purchased and installed a 2nd RaspPi and have 20 miners on each, but in the future it might be helpful for others that want to control more from a single unit (which I bet it can since 20 miners only results in around 10% utilization).

-Eric

Probably too expensive but here is a 49 port designed for continuous enterprise use:

How about 2 of these?:  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10307&cs_id=1030702&p_id=6436&seq=1&format=2

One for each of the Raspberry Pi's 2 ports?  We should be able to conceivably connect up to 48 miners per RPi...  Anyone had any experience with these or know its internal topology?

-Eric

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:31:00 PM

Do you know of any hubs that keep all the ports on a single level?  I already purchased and installed a 2nd RaspPi and have 20 miners on each, but in the future it might be helpful for others that want to control more from a single unit (which I bet it can since 20 miners only results in around 10% utilization).

Probably too expensive but here is a 49 port designed for continuous enterprise use:

How about 2 of these?:  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10307&cs_id=1030702&p_id=6436&seq=1&format=2

One for each of the Raspberry Pi's 2 ports?  We should be able to conceivably connect up to 48 miners per RPi...  Anyone had any experience with these or know its internal topology?

Or you could try two of these? I don't like the port layout though:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/393329/28-Port_MondoHub_SuperSpeed_USB_30_Hub

The one from monoprice looks nicer.

quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:31:36 PM

Has anyone figured out how to overvolt yet?  I see this in the gridseed driver...

typedef struct s_gridseed_info {
   enum sub_ident   ident;
   uint32_t   fw_version;
   struct timeval   scanhash_time;
   int      nonce_count[8];  // per chip
   int      error_count[8];  // per chip
   // options
   int      baud;
   int      freq;
   unsigned char   freq_cmd[8];
   int      chips; //chips per module
   int      voltage;
   int      per_chip_stats;
}
Aand later on this method:

static void gc3355_increase_voltage(struct cgpu_info *gridseed) {
   uint32_t reg_value;

// Put GPIOA pin 5 into general function, 50 MHz output.
   if (!gc3355_read_register(gridseed, GRIDSEED_GPIOA_BASE + GRIDSEED_CRL_OFFSET, &reg_value)) {
      applog(LOG_DEBUG, "Failed to read GPIOA CRL register from %i", gridseed->device_id);
      return;
   }
   reg_value = (reg_value & 0xff0fffff) | 0x00300000;
   if (!gc3355_write_register(gridseed, GRIDSEED_GPIOA_BASE + GRIDSEED_CRL_OFFSET, reg_value)) {
      applog(LOG_DEBUG, "Failed to write GPIOA CRL register from %i", gridseed->device_id);
      return;
   }

// Set GPIOA pin 5 high.
   if (!gc3355_read_register(gridseed, GRIDSEED_GPIOA_BASE + GRIDSEED_ODR_OFFSET, &reg_value)) {
      applog(LOG_DEBUG, "Failed to read GPIOA ODR register from %i", gridseed->device_id);
      return;
   }
   reg_value |= 0x00000020;
   //reg_value &= 0xFFFFFFDF;
   if (!gc3355_write_register(gridseed, GRIDSEED_GPIOA_BASE + GRIDSEED_ODR_OFFSET, reg_value)) {
      applog(LOG_DEBUG, "Failed to write GPIOA ODR register from %i", gridseed->device_id);
      return;
   }
}

Looks to me like we pass an int as the argument voltage and it will add it to the base voltage value(which i think is set to 0, if I'm reading the header right), maybe?  But then it also says gpio(general purpose input output?), which is usually a general purpose pin header on the pcb itself, right?  I'm no developer/hardware engineer, anyone want to comment?

You can set voltage=1 in your config, but it turns out that will actually lower the core voltage.

Did someone find a measurement point on the board to check?  What happens if we pass -1?  I'm surprised more people aren't asking about this, surely with as much cooling as these chips have on them we can get away with a bit more voltage in scrypt only mode, and hence, higher stable clocks!  I don't want to sacrifice a miner if I can avoid it by researching instead... Smiley
richmke

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:39:45 PM

cambrionix 49 port hub. Each port is isolated. $500. I think it is cheaper to get a bunch of RaspPi
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251380675091?lpid=82
richmke

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:41:08 PM

http://www.microcenter.com/product/393329/28-Port_MondoHub_SuperSpeed_USB_30_Hub

Not good for Rasp Pi. The Manhattan is USB 3.0. The Rasp Pi does not support USB 3.0.
emoomjean

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:46:01 PM

The one from monoprice looks nicer.

Yeah, and a bit spendy (could get 2 monoprice ones for price of 1 MondoHub), plus I could have sworn i've read in one of the many threads floating around that the gridseed miners don't play well with USB 3.0 devices.  Unfortunately the price on the hubs is roughly the same as a RPI so there is little incentive to not just run 2x 10-port cheap hubs per Pi and scale accordingly.

-Eric
IchibahnSLC

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:50:53 PM

I'm going to order this hub:
www.amazon.com/Anker-Aluminum-13-Port-Charging-VL812-B2/dp/B00GSLMTQ8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1394577961&sr=8-9&keywords=anker+usb+hub

Any opinions or better suggestions?
Andareed

Activity: 84
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:54:35 PM

Has anyone figured out how to overvolt yet?  I see this in the gridseed driver...

enum sub_ident   ident;
   uint32_t   fw_version;
   // options
   int      baud;
   int      freq;
   int      voltage;
   int      per_chip_stats;
}

uint32_t reg_value;

if (!gc3355_read_register(gridseed, GRIDSEED_GPIOA_BASE + GRIDSEED_CRL_OFFSET, &reg_value)) {
      applog(LOG_DEBUG, "Failed to read GPIOA CRL register from %i", gridseed->device_id);
      return;
   }
   if (!gc3355_write_register(gridseed, GRIDSEED_GPIOA_BASE + GRIDSEED_CRL_OFFSET, reg_value)) {
      applog(LOG_DEBUG, "Failed to write GPIOA CRL register from %i", gridseed->device_id);
      return;
   }

// Set GPIOA pin 5 high.
   if (!gc3355_read_register(gridseed, GRIDSEED_GPIOA_BASE + GRIDSEED_ODR_OFFSET, &reg_value)) {
      applog(LOG_DEBUG, "Failed to read GPIOA ODR register from %i", gridseed->device_id);
      return;
   }
   reg_value |= 0x00000020;
   if (!gc3355_write_register(gridseed, GRIDSEED_GPIOA_BASE + GRIDSEED_ODR_OFFSET, reg_value)) {
      applog(LOG_DEBUG, "Failed to write GPIOA ODR register from %i", gridseed->device_id);
      return;
   }
}

Looks to me like we pass an int as the argument voltage and it will add it to the base voltage value(which i think is set to 0, if I'm reading the header right), maybe?  But then it also says gpio(general purpose input output?), which is usually a general purpose pin header on the pcb itself, right?  I'm no developer/hardware engineer, anyone want to comment?

You can set voltage=1 in your config, but it turns out that will actually lower the core voltage.

Did someone find a measurement point on the board to check?  What happens if we pass -1?  I'm surprised more people aren't asking about this, surely with as much cooling as these chips have on them we can get away with a bit more voltage in scrypt only mode, and hence, higher stable clocks!  I don't want to sacrifice a miner if I can avoid it by researching instead... Smiley

Yes, it should be possible to replace a resistor to increase the voltage. I haven't had a chance to try this yet.

BTC: 1K54i8Fsu7e7WPu1pQJV6tDa65qXahnHMH
LTC: LMfJ2eqsJofTaNtD1dLRZBuKju9qYgwxZj
volder

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:37:01 PM

For those of you running Windows and CGminer for Gridseed ASICs:

Long time lurker, but new member here.  I usually just sit back and read to solve my problems. I registered here today just to make this post.

I noticed when using Gridseed 5 chip miners with Windows/CGminer that miners would randomly drop off. When you close CGminer or reboot, this was especially true. The fix? Unplug the USB cable to your miner or hub and set hotplug to a higher number than 0 (most seem to like 5).

Great, but I have a job/life/kids/wife/car/hobbies/etc and can't always be next to the computer waiting to unplug/plug a USB connector.

I did a little experimenting and found out that disabling/enabling them in device manager brought them back without having to physically unplug them. This got me thinking...

I was able to use devcon.exe (from Microsoft) and write a quick batch file that enables/disables the miners. Then I scheduled the batch file to run ever 60 seconds (maybe overkill). The good part is that devcon.exe does not disable devices if they are in use, it waits for a reboot. So, your active miners never go down they just get "flagged" to be disabled on next boot and your inactive miners get disabled/enabled and start working again. This also requires hotplug to be greater than 0 (I used --hotplug=10)

It's quick and dirty and by no means a great solution. But it works. If someone wants to take this and expand on it, be my guest.

To make sure its working:
Run CGMiner, make sure it works and miners start.
Close CGMiner.
Run CGMiner, no miners (or less miners) are found.
Close CGMiner.
Run batch found below.
Run CGMiner, all miners working again.

You may need to edit the batch file to include match your miners hardware ID (*5740* is wildcard-part_of_hardware_ID-wildcard). I'm not sure if all hardware IDs are all the same, but all mine are. I just shoved it in the root of my C:\ drive. It's very basic and self explanatory.

Zip contains:
devcon.exe
resetusb.bat
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ih0eszwbf6bucl4/resetusb.zip

I hope this helps some usb plugging, nail-biting, BCTer get out and grab a little sunlight instead of hiding in the basement waiting for that inevitable USB failure.  Grin

Regular Guy™
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:01:30 AM

For those of you running Windows and CGminer for Gridseed ASICs:

Long time lurker, but new member here.  I usually just sit back and read to solve my problems. I registered here today just to make this post.

I noticed when using Gridseed 5 chip miners with Windows/CGminer that miners would randomly drop off. When you close CGminer or reboot, this was especially true. The fix? Unplug the USB cable to your miner or hub and set hotplug to a higher number than 0 (most seem to like 5).

Great, but I have a job/life/kids/wife/car/hobbies/etc and can't always be next to the computer waiting to unplug/plug a USB connector.

I did a little experimenting and found out that disabling/enabling them in device manager brought them back without having to physically unplug them. This got me thinking...

I was able to use devcon.exe (from Microsoft) and write a quick batch file that enables/disables the miners. Then I scheduled the batch file to run ever 60 seconds (maybe overkill). The good part is that devcon.exe does not disable devices if they are in use, it waits for a reboot. So, your active miners never go down they just get "flagged" to be disabled on next boot and your inactive miners get disabled/enabled and start working again. This also requires hotplug to be greater than 0 (I used --hotplug=10)

It's quick and dirty and by no means a great solution. But it works. If someone wants to take this and expand on it, be my guest.

To make sure its working:
Run CGMiner, make sure it works and miners start.
Close CGMiner.
Run CGMiner, no miners (or less miners) are found.
Close CGMiner.
Run batch found below.
Run CGMiner, all miners working again.

You may need to edit the batch file to include match your miners hardware ID (*5740* is wildcard-part_of_hardware_ID-wildcard). I'm not sure if all hardware IDs are all the same, but all mine are. I just shoved it in the root of my C:\ drive. It's very basic and self explanatory.

Zip contains:
devcon.exe
resetusb.bat
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ih0eszwbf6bucl4/resetusb.zip

I hope this helps some usb plugging, nail-biting, BCTer get out and grab a little sunlight instead of hiding in the basement waiting for that inevitable USB failure.  Grin

Nice!  I'll test this out, if it works you have a bit of coin coming your way Smiley
Maximusprime

Activity: 151

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:35:11 AM

http://cryptomining-blog.com/tag/gridseed-asic/

I have been scrypt mining with my gridseed for a couple days and wanted to try out dualmining so I followed the guide above. Everything went well and both instances open, but neither are actually doing any work. Usually others run into the same issues but after reading through everything I'm still lost. If anyone knows what's wrong please help a brother out.

misc2012-de

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:37:49 AM

enum sub_ident   ident;
   uint32_t   fw_version;
   // options
   int      baud;
   int      freq;
   int      voltage;
   int      per_chip_stats;
}

uint32_t reg_value;

return;
   }
      return;
   }

// Set GPIOA pin 5 high.
      return;
   }
   reg_value |= 0x00000020;
      return;
   }
}

Yes, it should be possible to replace a resistor to increase the voltage. I haven't had a chance to try this yet.
Why replacing a resistor, do you remember the pencil mod on those bitfury miners ??   Wink
gigica viteazu`

Activity: 458
Merit: 250

beast at work

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:18:58 AM

cambrionix 49 port hub. Each port is isolated. $500. I think it is cheaper to get a bunch of RaspPi

why not any of those ?

it`s USB 3.0, rPi don`t like it
Zach_BTC

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:20:36 PM

thanx for this guide  Cheesy
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 04:44:01 PM

I've been having a problem with my miners disconnecting and just showing "dispatching new work toGC3355 LTC core" and nothing else. WTF???

It started happening after I pointed them to ScryptGuild.com
Before that, they had pretty much "yay" hashed full time without any interruptions.

Does anyone know if a pool server can cause this to happen? Make them quit running by perhaps, quit sending work to them for a few minutes which causes them to just - hang?

I don't think it's the USB hub causing it.

This happened 6 hours after I signed up with ScryptGuild, then another 2 hours after that, then another 18 hours after that. It's not the USB hub or lack of power causing it.

To get them running again just now, I have re-set all the ports using disable-enable which saves me from having to physically unplug and re-plug each one. I'm going to figure out a way to make this problem 'auto detect this failure and run disable-enable for each port automatically so they keep on hashing.

I have also disabled the power saving feature on each 'root hub' in device manager just to make sure WinBlow$ doesn't cause it to happen too.

I'm using Win7. I don't know if XP allows one to make these types of config changes or not.

I"m not interested in putting up with this disconnect shyt! I am sure no one else is either Wink

Perhaps we can work together to get it solved once and for all.

Wolfey2014

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:53:21 PM

anyone know how to dual mine using cgminer only?
vabchgent

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:54:29 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2014, 06:40:59 PM by vabchgent

Okay so cgminer 3.8.5 is not working for me for sha 256 any ideas.  Huh

Figured it out in Windows 8.1 you need a double tap start cgminer 3.8.5 then start cgminer 3.8.5. leave the one open thats working.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
jgm_coin

Activity: 230

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:14:54 PM

I'm selling 4 pin molex power connectors for gridseeds.  Multiple types available, see here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=511770.msg5650838#msg5650838

Rent out your rig for up to 100% more than you can mine http://tinyurl.com/lc5axo2
darkfriend77 (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 06:34:37 PM

I'm selling 4 pin molex power connectors for gridseeds.  Multiple types available, see here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=511770.msg5650838#msg5650838

nice work ... but price  Grin

-:| www.DOTMog.com |:-
IchibahnSLC

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 07:00:50 PM

why not any of those ?

it`s USB 3.0, rPi don`t like it

I want to order that 49 port hub but am cautious because idk if it will work.  Should but don't know.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 102 »
  Print  

Jump to: