June 23, 2024, 09:22:10 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: ZEITCOIN
https://zeit-coin.net
https://zeit-knights.slack.com
https://t.me/zeit_coin

Pages: « 1 ... 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 [675] 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 ... 861 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ★ ZEIT ★ [COMMUNITY & KNIGHTS] [ULTRA LOW INFLATION] [MICRO-PAYMENTS]  (Read 1009219 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
atronite

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 06:17:26 PM

It would be so nice to have some sort of messaging function in Zeitcoin, just so we could talk to each other and make announcements like these. There should be some sort of charge to limit spamming, to be paid into the network and paid out as the block reward. 

Naturally the functionality should be COMPLETELY optional, but I think having a communications platform on the wallet would make it useful for letting everyone know when a new mandatory update is coming.
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:26:55 PM

It would be so nice to have some sort of messaging function in Zeitcoin, just so we could talk to each other and make announcements like these. There should be some sort of charge to limit spamming, to be paid into the network and paid out as the block reward.  

Naturally the functionality should be COMPLETELY optional, but I think having a communications platform on the wallet would make it useful for letting everyone know when a new mandatory update is coming.

Zeit already has it an announcement feature, Ray has beamed an update message to only the old wallets,
but we have ~16 that have not updated yet.
There was no need to beam the message to the current wallets which is why you did not see it.
Ray is Amazing.  Cheesy

An open communications method in the wallet that everyone can use would be a bad idea,
as spammers would find a way to bombard us with ads, if an open communications was included.
A good example, is that windows users used to be able to send messages directly to any IP address, but because of the spammers, that was blocked. It also could be a source of malware infection , by sending links. Current announcement system is by dev only , no one else can use it, only for important update info regarding zeit.

Cool

FYI:
Zeit users should make a habit of checking the forums, as we can more easily communicate with each other thru this forum and the official forum.
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:33:44 PM

All Zeit Wallet Users should update to 2.0.1.7 Gauntlet
Before Aug 1st 2015.

Click the Link Below for the Wallet Update Details,  If you have not updated Yet.

Upgrade Instructions for Current Users, with Blockchain Snapshot

Upgrade Tips for Block Explorers & Exchanges for a Faster update.

Cool

Current Network Update Status over 80% have updated to 2.0.1.7 .
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/zeit/#!network
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:34:22 PM

ZeitKnights Assemble!

All ZeitKnights & Zeit Community,
Please Keep your 2.0.1.7 Zeit Wallets Online as much as possible,
July 31st to August 7th.

Everyone not on 2.0.1.7 Please update.

Cool
atronite

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 07:09:26 AM

Zeit already has it an announcement feature, Ray has beamed an update message to only the old wallets,
but we have ~16 that have not updated yet.
There was no need to beam the message to the current wallets which is why you did not see it.
Ray is Amazing.  Cheesy

An open communications method in the wallet that everyone can use would be a bad idea,
as spammers would find a way to bombard us with ads, if an open communications was included.
A good example, is that windows users used to be able to send messages directly to any IP address, but because of the spammers, that was blocked. It also could be a source of malware infection , by sending links. Current announcement system is by dev only , no one else can use it, only for important update info regarding zeit.

Cool

FYI:
Zeit users should make a habit of checking the forums, as we can more easily communicate with each other thru this forum and the official forum.

Didn't know about that, that's pretty cool.

What if a fee were charged per message? Give stakeholders overall extra rewards and such.
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 07:40:19 AM

Didn't know about that, that's pretty cool.

What if a fee were charged per message? Give stakeholders overall extra rewards and such.

IMO, I don't see a way to keep the spammers from abusing it, as it would not cost enough to keep them from spamming, plus having to worry about some malware link coming thru the wallet.

But you bring up an interesting point, what would be cool , if some third party provider ,
setup something like a teamspeak server and charged Zeitcoins to have a room setup for chat or voice calls between people internationally. And they charged on a daily or weekly or monthly basis for the chat room.

Once our rate drops to 5% , if no one else has done it.
A few of us could get together and setup some Teamspeak servers and take zeitcoins for payment.
The CPA , that I have been consulting with , told me the best time to start those types of ventures is after Zeit hits the 5% rate. Then we can begin the Zeit Game Tournments & start the Zeit Ad Network and see which holds the brighter future for zeit.

Cool
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

Activity: 1341
Merit: 1046

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 07:51:23 AM

We must distinguish between the build-in alert system and a client messenger.
The alert system cannot be used as a messenger. It's completely independent from the blockchain.
You can broadcast alerts (if high prior = all clients with target protocol would switch into safe mode) and checkpoints.

Other coins are currently removing their communication features due to a possible vulnerability.

Cheers,
Ray
marcetin
Legendary

Activity: 1124
Merit: 1013

ParalleCoin's ruler from the shadow

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 10:27:46 PM

ZeitCoin crowd funded node is up!

https://bitnodes.net/node/194-135-92-229/

Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  PLAN 9   FROM CRYPTO SPACE    PARALLELCOIN 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My fellow members, ask not what the community can do for you, ask what you can do for the community. CCW-WebRes-BitStickers-AnonStickers.shop------------------------------ ParallelCoin

The Secret of Success is to find out where people are going.. and get there first! - Mark Twain
Bitrated user: marcetin.
lxxtikk
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 10:43:34 PM

Cheers!
what is it and why we need it?  Smiley
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 01:18:09 AM

Well folks, I just got done upgrading to Windows 10. Just as Ray said earlier, no compatibility issues at all with Zeit wallet. As far as the OS itself... so far it's just m'eh. Nothing spectacular that I can see. I guess I'll have to open up TOR and get on the DarkWeb and see what the real talk is about it and if any security issues have been identified so far. It's Windows, so there are bound to be many, and I'm sure it won't take long for them to be identified.

atronite

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:13:03 AM

Cheers!

This is actually quite scary when you realize the significance of the information being displayed here.

Basically, with a bit of cyber stalking, you'll be able to gather information about each person with an active Zeitcoin wallet. You can go through each address, survey each home network, and if you can find an IP with a machine with poor security and an un-encrypted wallet (or several), the person is basically primed to being pick-pocketed.

Basically, just by virtue of having a wallet, you are broadcasting the fact that you HAVE a wallet, and making yourself a potential target. Now if you have decent security and keep up to date on your patches, you'll *probably* be passed up in favor of an easier target (and there are FAR too many of those). But do you REALLY want a cyber pick-pocket (or worse) to even survey your IP and machine in the first place? What if someone decided they wanted to continually DDoS the Zeitcoin network just by targeting nodes as they pop up, esp if they have hundreds of thousands of even millions of machines at their beck and call?

The point is, I think it's a huge security flaw to even have raw IP information floating around in the first place. Yes, it's just IP information associated with a Wallet version, but that's just the starting point.

What i'm wondering is, is there any way you could route the node information through the Tor network so that you can't ID any particular person with a wallet? Or even have the wallet spoof a fake IP and mac address to the rest of the network? Can this be hard-coded into the wallet as an optional upgrade until the next mandatory upgrade?

Maybe I'm over reacting, but I don't like the idea that my IP address is basically being "outed" and broadcast to the rest of the internet for anyone to see (if they know where to look), just because I have my wallet on and securing the network. I think as a stakeholder securing the Zeitcoin network, I am owed a bit more protection!

kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:30:24 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 04:58:25 AM by kiklo

Cheers!

This is actually quite scary when you realize the significance of the information being displayed here.

Basically, with a bit of cyber stalking, you'll be able to gather information about each person with an active Zeitcoin wallet. You can go through each address, survey each home network, and if you can find an IP with a machine with poor security and an un-encrypted wallet (or several), the person is basically primed to being pick-pocketed.

Basically, just by virtue of having a wallet, you are broadcasting the fact that you HAVE a wallet, and making yourself a potential target. Now if you have decent security and keep up to date on your patches, you'll *probably* be passed up in favor of an easier target (and there are FAR too many of those). But do you REALLY want a cyber pick-pocket (or worse) to even survey your IP and machine in the first place? What if someone decided they wanted to continually DDoS the Zeitcoin network just by targeting nodes as they pop up, esp if they have hundreds of thousands of even millions of machines at their beck and call?

The point is, I think it's a huge security flaw to even have raw IP information floating around in the first place. Yes, it's just IP information associated with a Wallet version, but that's just the starting point.

What i'm wondering is, is there any way you could route the node information through the Tor network so that you can't ID any particular person with a wallet? Or even have the wallet spoof a fake IP and mac address to the rest of the network? Can this be hard-coded into the wallet as an optional upgrade until the next mandatory upgrade?

Maybe I'm over reacting, but I don't like the idea that my IP address is basically being "outed" and broadcast to the rest of the internet for anyone to see (if they know where to look), just because I have my wallet on and securing the network. I think as a stakeholder securing the Zeitcoin network, I am owed a bit more protection!

Even thru , I am probably one of the most paranoid in all of the forums, you are over reacting.  
All coins have to broadcast an IP so they can form a network, no way around it by any coin.
Best security is always to have a router or a PC acting as a router connected directly to the modem and the Zeit PC behind their firewall. If you have coins Keep your Wallet Encrypted.

Alot of people like to think Tor is safe,
Tor is not hidden from the people you really want it to be hidden from.
Tor was originally developed in the mid-1990s by United States Naval Research Laboratory.
In 2004, the Naval Research Laboratory released the code for Tor under a free licence, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) began funding Dingledine and Mathewson to continue its development.

If you think they released it and don't have a way to intercept & decode every single packet, then I have a virtual bridge I would like to sell you.  Wink  (Zeit only accepted form of Payment.)
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/best-alternatives-tor-12-programs-use-nsa-hackers-compromised-tor-project-376976

If you want to hide your IP , options are an out of country VPN, or get yourself a VPS that you remote into, or only using a laptop at internet cafes. But just to really make you paranoid, goto command prompt and run ipconfig /all , you see that line that says Physical Address . There is a database that links that address with your specific model PC and even serial #. So if you paid for that laptop with a credit card and did something illegal at a internet cafe, they can track that ip back to the cafe, check the router logs, and see your network card physical address, they then check the database and be waiting for you at home. And you can thank J edgar , because all the trackings started with his administration's prompting and got worse from there.

Cool

FYI:
Here is some IP info for you.
http://whatismyipaddress.com/private-ip
That is why a router with firewall in-between your Zeit PC offers more protection.
You want a private IP of 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x .
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 03:47:29 AM

Cheers!
what is it and why we need it?  Smiley

Nodes Validate and Relay Zeitcoin Transactions.
This Node stay online 24x7 always staying synced and relaying transactions.

Say you went out of town, and left your zeit wallet offline, when you return home and turn your PC on and open your zeit wallet and it begins syncing to catch up with the network, these nodes help supply the information that resyncs your wallet with the network, and if you send out some zeitcoins , it relays that info across the network to the other nodes. When your Zeit wallet is synced , it acts as a node.

The more nodes we have up & running 24x7 , the faster & more stable our network becomes.
(Also more protected from ddos attacks)
Plus it helps get offline wallets back in sync faster when they restart.

Cool
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 05:10:17 AM

Grin
There's nothing to be worried about. That's how the whole thing works.
They make use of the getpeerinfo command. Chainz uses getpeerinfo in combination with a geolocation database.
There isn't much you can do. (And there's no need to do something)

Cheers
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 07:19:00 AM

With Ver 2.0.1.7 Zeit Wallet

It is very important to make sure your PC clock has the correct time.
To Check the Correct time.
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/worldclock.aspx

Click on the City closest to your location to see the correct time.
From there you can manually update your PC time.

Or

If your PC does not keep accurate time look into an app.
Like those listed here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/network/fwtimesync.html

Cool
FWBlack

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 01:17:48 PM

I completed the University of Nicosia course DFIN-511 INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL CURRENCIES with a 93% on the final exam!
http://digitalcurrency.unic.ac.cy/, I learned about it from someone here, don't remember who, but a regular, maybe Lion? It's a great course for anyone wanting to learn more about digital currencies.  Sign up on their site to be notified when they start up the course again.

http://www.digitalcurrencyalliance.com/wp-content/uploads/DFIN511_3_Fred_Black.pdf - full-sized PDF certificate
http://www.digitalcurrencyalliance.com/wp-content/uploads/DFIN511-Index3.pdf - PDF with hashes for course certificates embedded in Bitcoin blockchain.
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 01:27:43 PM

With Ver 2.0.1.7 Zeit Wallet

It is very important to make sure your PC clock has the correct time.
To Check the Correct time.
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/worldclock.aspx

Click on the City closest to your location to see the correct time.
From there you can manually update your PC time.

Or

If your PC does not keep accurate time look into an app.
Like those listed here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/network/fwtimesync.html

Cool

Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:09:52 PM

I completed the University of Nicosia course DFIN-511 INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL CURRENCIES with a 93% on the final exam!

Hey, hey Cheesy
Congrats Fred.

Cheers
LionOfNarnia

Activity: 938

Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 10:59:22 AM

Hey, hey Cheesy
Congrats Fred.

Cheers

Well done Fred Grin

(Yes, it WAS me who did it first Wink )

Member of the UK Digital Currency Association * Bitrated user: LionOfNarnia. * Member of the ZeitKnights * Member of the Bytecent Community Team

"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"
Varvarin
Legendary

Activity: 1130

No good deed goes unpunished

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 10:00:55 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2015, 06:06:35 AM by Varvarin

Hey, hey Cheesy
Congrats Fred.

Cheers

Well done Fred Grin

(Yes, it WAS me who did it first Wink )

Grats Fred.

Maybe I should have a look at that ..

I see Cryptsy and Cee'pia Smiley have wallets in maintenance .. just pulled some coins out of YoBit tho. - Transfer from cold storage - 12h after .. still the same Smiley

Coinmarket Cat prowls once again.
https://twitter.com/VarvarinEMC2
Pages: « 1 ... 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 [675] 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 ... 861 »
  Print  

Jump to: