May 11, 2024, 05:25:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: ZEITCOIN
https://zeit-coin.net
https://zeit-knights.slack.com
https://t.me/zeit_coin

Pages: « 1 ... 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 [679] 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 ... 861 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ★ ZEIT ★ [COMMUNITY & KNIGHTS] [ULTRA LOW INFLATION] [MICRO-PAYMENTS]  (Read 1009210 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kiklo
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 01:15:22 PM

That's really cool. Our codebase was a ppcoin fork (mint) and now we have our own codebase.
Switching to BTC codebase with all the changes in ppcoin, mintcoin and zeitcoin would be too much work for one developer.

Cheers

FYI:
Recent changes between Zeit & Mint on Aug 1st.

Zeit Codebase can support a timedrift of 1 minute with no problems.
Mint Codebase only supports a timedrift of 30 seconds.

Zeit kept our IRC code, allowing another way to find other Zeit Wallets.
Mint removed their IRC code , because antivirus software kept flagging mint as a virus.
This has just caused them a problem with new installs not being able to sync.

Cool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 01:18:52 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2015, 01:31:12 PM by kiklo

Is it possible to delete blocks on the local copy?
Backtrack so to speak. And anyone got a how 2 guide link handy?

In Zeit, just close the wallet and then open it back up and it will reorganized with the correct chain.

If you are asking for another reason, then what specifically are you trying to do?

Cool

FYI:
If you are asking the question for Greensbacks, they will need to hire a dev to help fix their fork and issue a checkpoint to stop it from forking again.
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:41:57 PM

No not GB related.  But since the subject came up any ZeitKnight looking to dev for Zeit? Wink

Just wanted to know if your Zeit client got derailed on a fork, or have a power failure, is there a way to roll back to a known good point via editing the local block index.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 07:30:24 PM

Just wanted to know if your Zeit client got derailed on a fork, or have a power failure, is there a way to roll back to a known good point via editing the local block index.

A restart of the Zeit Wallet and it will reorg to the correct chain.
If the blockchain was corrupted by a power failure and won't restart (ST13 error), then install the ZEIT snapshot as it is always older than the active chain. Or Make a bootstrap from your blk001 file (if it was not corrupted), it is always a little behind the active chain.
Anything more in depth requires a Dev.

Cool
LionOfNarnia

Activity: 938

Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:27:51 AM

Ray, Kiklo,

Thank you both for such excellent & full answers Grin

Explanations like that give me increased confidence that in the fullness of Zeit, we will reign supreme!

Member of the UK Digital Currency Association * Bitrated user: LionOfNarnia. * Member of the ZeitKnights * Member of the Bytecent Community Team

"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"
BritcoinFTW

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 10:12:56 AM

(Ray, Kiklo)

Just heard this on Slack...

Guldencoin switched from LTC codebase to BTC codebase with full 0.11 commits – just heard this now
so probably first alt to commit to latest BTC codebase?

How do we stand WRT this, and does it matter?

That's really cool. Our codebase was a ppcoin fork (mint) and now we have our own codebase.
Switching to BTC codebase with all the changes in ppcoin, mintcoin and zeitcoin would be too much work for one developer.

Cheers

Quick scan of them, is that they are using multiple algorithms for PoW mining.
The three algorithms that will be used are Sha 256, Scrypt and X11.
No matter how many different PoW algorithms they pick, PoW is still flawed and will fail in the long run due to increased input costs to produce the coin, or if it does survive controlled only by a corporate or government monopoly. Just a personal opinion, but I will bet that as time passed, it will be proved , that multi algorithms adds increased vulnerability not increased security as they like to claim.
Zeit would still be running a PoW along side PoS, but it was proven that opened up a security concern,
and PoW was dropped as we no longer needed it.

Since BTC & Gulden are PoW, it makes sense for them , following the leader.
Since we are Proof of Stake,  switching to BTC (PoW code base) could cause issues that are incompatible with Zeit's Design. Their way of downloading blocks by only downloading headers, is only possible because the Asics are doing all of the work, and if we followed that it would create a wallet that can't stake.  Tongue

All of the PoS only coins will have a different path , more apparent as time goes on.
Our Path will be more profitable & more sustainable.  Cheesy

Cool

FYI:
Wow, just checked out their block explorer, their block creation is erratic at best.
They found like 8 blocks in 3 minutes and they did not find another block for 30 minutes. Tongue
That is not good , they need to fix that.
  http://inzicht.deguldenmijn.eu/blocks

2nd FYI:
Gulden uses DELTA.
The DELTA readjustment algorithm maximizes the amount of hash power miners have to generate blocks. In doing this, the readjustment algorithm addresses the mining difficulty caused by profit-switching pools.
After what I just saw in their block explorer, it don't work.
ZEIT is stable & faster, maybe they should copy our codebase next.  Cheesy

Guldencoin is still Scrypt based only , the problem with guldencoin is the community has no miners so it's run on multi pools, it's the one coin that actually has more end users and investors then miners. Before DELTA they we getting 500 min block times and even 1000 minutes once and under 100 blocks a day. Once they switched to DELTA most days the longest blocks are 35-60 minutes maybe once a day and over 300 blocks a day.

I have been following them for a long time and they tried kgw,dgw and digi and DELTA has by far performed the best. At least they are innovating and keeping up with bitcoin, it does mean they are serious and they doing everything on there own. That development team of theres is inhouse, not hired devs.

There is talk of them doing hybrid PoS/ PoW solution which I think will work well because it doesn't put all the power with the coin holders.

MostlyGhostly

Activity: 396
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 12:22:03 PM

In the next Wallet update, can you please add "-datadir"?
Its not working for me with current Qt.

This is because QT is broken. I'll jump in again when the mintpal is back.
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 01:46:44 AM
Last edit: August 10, 2015, 06:03:36 AM by kiklo

Guldencoin is still Scrypt based only , the problem with guldencoin is the community has no miners so it's run on multi pools, it's the one coin that actually has more end users and investors then miners. Before DELTA they we getting 500 min block times and even 1000 minutes once and under 100 blocks a day. Once they switched to DELTA most days the longest blocks are 35-60 minutes maybe once a day and over 300 blocks a day.

I have been following them for a long time and they tried kgw,dgw and digi and DELTA has by far performed the best. At least they are innovating and keeping up with bitcoin, it does mean they are serious and they doing everything on there own. That development team of theres is inhouse, not hired devs.

There is talk of them doing hybrid PoS/ PoW solution which I think will work well because it doesn't put all the power with the coin holders.

Hmm,
Now that you mention it , the block explorer did only list 9 active connections.
I understand that Delta showed massive improvement from your point of view, but it is still broken.
30 minutes is just way too long for single blocks.

If they did add PoS then it could stop those huge gaps of empty block time.
And one of the guys on the Dev Team is MaNi , and he is very familiar with PoS from his time writing the last released Pandacoin wallet, so he could pull it off.
But adding PoS could add this security issue if they keep PoW.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=551861.0
(Reason Zeit & Mint dropped PoW completely)

IMO:
Normally would say convert to PoS only, but if they don't have that many active users merged mining is their best shot. Setup Merge mining with Litecoin & Dogecoin give them plenty of miners until their user base grows enough to switch to PoS only.

Cool

FYI:
In regards to
hybrid PoS/ PoW solution which I think will work well because it doesn't put all the power with the coin holders.
PoW puts power into the hands of people that don't necessary care about the coin's future at all, only the fiat profit it will generate, as they can always dump the last mined coin and just mine another,
Personally prefer that the Zeit PoS owners all have personal and dedicated interest directly into Zeitcoin,
A person will always take better care of something they like verses something they are indifferent too.

2nd FYI:
You are right , they did drop the multi-algo idea.
Below is a quote by MaNi , https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554412.10440
After looking into it extensively and much internal debate we have decided that multi-algo as it currently stands is flawed from a security perspective.
In that We Agree.   Smiley
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:18:04 AM

ZEIT Blockchain SnapShot & ZEIT BootStrap.dat updated : 8-11-2015

Install Instructions for New Users , with Blockchain Snapshot or BootStrap

Upgrade Instructions for Current Users, with Blockchain Snapshot

Cool
john_doe

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 12:04:32 PM

Offtopic: Are you guys seeing this message in Cryptopia too? Isn't it a bit unprofessional? Huh

If you believe my post is helpful and you feel like donating a small amount, please use this address: 165i2m6WNT3v4KPWbFesKhceaXf2shcUDR
BitcoinNational
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:18:03 PM

Show me professional in ALT crypto first then I will tell you Wink

Yeah they screwed up, a very minor detail, so they fixed it by basically granting a 10% discount towards cost of auto listing coins.

Actually professional recourse.  But yes I am wondering how well the servers are backup  Roll Eyes   

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
john_doe

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:51:04 PM

Yeah they screwed up, a very minor detail, so they fixed it by basically granting a 10% discount towards cost of auto listing coins.

Actually professional recourse.  But yes I am wondering how well the servers are backup  Roll Eyes  

I'm only talking about the message itself. Publicly blaming a data loss on one of your employees (or at least that's what the message leads me to think, as I don't have any idea who "Hex" is) is very unprofessional to say the least. What about calling him a "retard"? I had respect for that exchange, but it's disturbing that the people behind it are acting like children. This is no "minor detail" imho.

If you believe my post is helpful and you feel like donating a small amount, please use this address: 165i2m6WNT3v4KPWbFesKhceaXf2shcUDR
brian_nguyen
Legendary

Activity: 1404
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:09:30 PM

Actually professional recourse.  But yes I am wondering how well the servers are backup  Roll Eyes  

I'm only talking about the message itself. Publicly blaming a data loss on one of your employees (or at least that's what the message leads me to think, as I don't have any idea who "Hex" is) is very unprofessional to say the least. What about calling him a "retard"? I had respect for that exchange, but it's disturbing that the people behind it are acting like children. This is no "minor detail" imho.

Hex is one of the owners and he might be calling himself retard with that message and he made up more than his mistake so not an issue IMHO.
john_doe

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:15:34 PM

Hex is one of the owners and he might be calling himself retard with that message and he made up more than his mistake so not an issue IMHO.
I see. So it's some kind of inside joke? Not cool for the "outsiders" Roll Eyes

CoinQuest

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:57:04 PM

My computer shut down because it overheated. Now Zeitcoin wallet won't start giving the following error:

A fatal error occurred. Zeitcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit.

EXCEPTION: St13runtime_error       
CDB(): error opening database environment Corruption: missing start of fragmented record(2)       
zeitcoin in Runaway exception       
brian_nguyen
Legendary

Activity: 1404
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:07:40 PM

My computer shut down because it overheated. Now Zeitcoin wallet won't start giving the following error:

A fatal error occurred. Zeitcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit.

EXCEPTION: St13runtime_error       
CDB(): error opening database environment Corruption: missing start of fragmented record(2)       
zeitcoin in Runaway exception       

You can start zeitcon-qt.exe /rescan from the command prompt and if that doesn't work delete everything in Appdata\Roaming\Zeitcoin (but keep wallet.dat) and download the snapshot and sync again.
CoinQuest

Activity: 70

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:12:23 PM

You can start zeitcon-qt.exe /rescan from the command prompt and if that doesn't work delete everything in Appdata\Roaming\Zeitcoin (but keep wallet.dat) and download the snapshot and sync again.

Thanks! I will need the mac terminal command though for the rescan.
BitcoinNational
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:13:47 PM

'St13runtime_error'

yeah it aint cool ... (kinda pun-nee)

Before this flavor of stakes can go mainstream issues like that are a hamper.  The base code needs to be more 'robust'.
Sorry it is just that way.  And in time it will clear up.

However I think the barrier to mining early POW coins was a much steeper learning curve than that of the stakes, and having such bars to clear actually helps in the short term. (see BTC before 2014 ... and tell me just how easy it was to setup a hashing rig Wink )

In the meantime, the tech support here is kind enough to help fix most issues.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

Activity: 1326
Merit: 1037

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 06:05:59 PM

Thanks! I will need the mac terminal command though for the rescan.

try -salvagewallet.

Cheers
kiklo
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:21:16 AM

Offtopic: Are you guys seeing this message in Cryptopia too? Isn't it a bit unprofessional? Huh

LMFAO when I saw it.   Cheesy

Crypto is a Long Long Game to Play, those that use Humor to lighten stressful times,
will have a better chance of seeing it thru til the mainstream arrives.

Cool
Pages: « 1 ... 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 [679] 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 ... 861 »
  Print  

Jump to: