Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:26:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Intersango exchange (formerly Britcoin)  (Read 75292 times)
Jokah

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:08:48 PM

I'd just like to throw in my thanks and appreciation as well.

I'm quite new to all this but your site is making things alot more straight forward for me.

Keep up the good work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 10:55:38 AM

Oh dear, it seems I've created a following of angry/impatient users.  This was not my intent.  I fully appreciate that the site is in alpha and that there is much manual work to be done.  I look forward to a time when the site is better established and would be happy to pay fees to continue to use the service provided that those fees are reasonable.

I'm very grateful for this service, in particular for giving us an alpha version to play with while you test the system and seek international licencing.

That said, I've just been to the bank today to see if the transfer had been made and I was told they were not aware of any such transfer.  It's now been nearly 9 days since I made the request on Britcoin and certainly a full 7 (5 working days) since the status of the transaction of Britcoin was changed to 'Finished'.  I have checked my account details practically every day and I am certain that they are complete and correct.  Bacrlays informed me that they had a fast transfer system running with Lloyds so a bank transfer from a Lloyds TSB account should take about 1 working day (although this may not apply in this case).

I have a friend who has managed to successfully withdraw to his Lloyds TSB account.  I have requested to withdraw 14 GBP to my Lloyds TSB account to see if I have better luck.

Is it possible, with all the manual work, that a mistake was made in copying my bank details?  If so, is the 22 GBP retreiveable?  I'm not worried about the amount so much as the system.  If I sell a lump of 1000 BTC (over a couple of weeks) and then withdraw the GBP in one lump then how small is the a chance that this money will be mistakenly sent to the wrong account number and be lost forever?  Perhaps 1000 BTC is too much for Britcoin to handle at this early stage.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 11:03:17 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2011, 05:17:42 AM by Vladimir

Britcoin is one of the top 5 exchanges in the world by volume. The operator is not even charging any fees (AFAIK) and running it in alpha/beta  testing mode while reportedly providing great service. Give the guy a break.

Britcoin is likely will be my exchange of choice should one day I want/need to sell some bitcoins.

-
jack102938

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 11:06:19 AM

how small is the a chance that this money will be mistakenly sent to the wrong account number and be lost forever?
Very. The account number and sort code must match for a transaction to take place. Do the math.
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:54:51 PM

I've just gone to check on my Lloyds TSB withdrawal and found that the request was verified, processed, and the funds were cleared and in my bank account all in the same day!

I will certainly be using Lloyds TSB from now on and issue a general warning to anyone using Barclays.  I'll consider the 22 GBP as lost as it seems there is nothing left I can do to retrieve it.

It seems my lost funds are not a common occurance and indeed I have a friend who has had great success with this site.  Thanks again for all of your hard work genjix and I hope you get a profitable business out of this in the end.
Jokah

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 06:59:27 PM

Is any one else having problems getting onto britcoin at the moment?

It was fine earlier on when I checked.
teukon
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 07:32:38 PM

It's working fine for me.
Jokah

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 08:09:27 PM

Working fine now.  Huh
Jokah

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 08:19:11 PM

Damn! I've just realised I entered my account number wrong on my first ever withdrawl.

Does this mean it is lost forever as it says the transaction has been completed on my britcoin account?
genjix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 05:11:30 AM

For people who enter their details wrong: don't do it. It causes me a massive headache when balancing the sheets. In any case, usually the bank pretends they processed the payment then my sister gets a letter in the mail 1 week later saying it was rejected and the funds re-appear in my bank account. I then have to manually trawl backwards through email/records to see whose it was and add the funds back to their account. So it will take a while.

Also, can people stop spamming my email with silly questions? It's common that I get emails from people along the lines of "I just deposited GBP. Where are my Bitcoins?". Silly email = swamp my inbox = important mails from people with real issues get missed.
jack102938

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 04:49:55 PM

"I just deposited GBP. Where are my Bitcoins?"

LOL
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2011, 08:26:45 PM

Here are some thoughts from a Bitcoin noob, based in the UK, upon arriving cold at the Britcoin site. Hopefully this may help with the future evolution of the site.

Arrive on home page...
"OK, nice looking site - some thought has gone into it. Looks a bit sparse on information. Hmm, login to start..."

Arrive on login page...
"OK, Open ID. That's reassuring, but I don't know that value off the top of my head. Oh, wait, there's Google and Yahoo listed (why isn't it a big graphic?) - and <click>..."

Arrive on account page...
"Now how do I buy me bitcoins then? Guess I have an account with some funds in it and then buy bitcoins once I'm set up. And now I need to make a deposit, so I pay some guy called Mr Taaki? ERROR! Better do some research here... and <click>"

Off to bitcoin.org where there are lots of reassuring messages about all this - thanks guys, much appreciated.

"Well, I'd better deposit some funds then. Here goes some hard earned cash... <clickety click>"

And now I wait and hope that it all works out. I'll update this thread later on to detail how I got on.

Overall a very good start to getting UK folks into buying and selling bitcoins. I'd suggest making the overall concept of Britcoin a bit more obvious so that people understand that they will be depositing GBP and then purchasing BTC on an open market. It's all explained in the help but having an infographic of some kind on the home page would be beneficial I think.

I'm a Java developer and I'd like to see Bitcoin become much more accessible to the masses so if there is anything I can do to help please get in touch.

genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 01:07:26 AM

Hey,

Just wanted to say that the above was very helpful for getting me to visualise a user on the site. Thank you.
thirdlight

Activity: 445
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:48:42 AM

Another reassuring message: requested GBP withdrawal yesterday (bank holiday) ; in my bank this morning.

Definitely a happy customer.

teukon
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:35:21 AM

Another reassuring message: requested GBP withdrawal yesterday (bank holiday) ; in my bank this morning.

Definitely a happy customer.

My sentiments exactly.

I've now made 3 withdrawals to my Lloyds TSB account and each one has taken less than 36 hours from the initial request to appearing in my bank account.    It was merely unfortunate that the transaction which never went through was also my first withdrawal.

This is a great service genjix, thanks.

Do you accept donations? Maybe even donations in Bitcoin? Wink
genjix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:43:54 AM

Do you accept donations? Maybe even donations in Bitcoin? Wink

Sure Smiley 1G7fayKPwtbQ2JJgBE8QWWjnif3foiYN49

That'd be most welcome since I only have 100 BC (I'm a bad hoarder).
alexdrans

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:06:24 AM

Not to bug you, but I withdrew £15 yesterday and the status in my profile is "Finished" but the money isn't in my bank. I've made withdrawals before and when I see that they're 'Finished' I check by bank and the money's in there, but not today. I've already emailed you about this but I'm hoping that you'll be able to reply on here quicker.

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:17:03 AM

Not to bug you, but I withdrew £15 yesterday and the status in my profile is "Finished" but the money isn't in my bank. I've made withdrawals before and when I see that they're 'Finished' I check by bank and the money's in there, but not today. I've already emailed you about this but I'm hoping that you'll be able to reply on here quicker.

It was a bank holiday yesterday - that probably affected it. I normally "bank" (sorry!) on it taking a couple of working days - I'd be expecting it later today or more likely tomorrow.

This space intentionally left blank.
alexdrans

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 10:36:43 AM

Thanks for your efforts on britcoin. I'd like to use it but was a little put off by an apparent typo on this page:

https://britcoin.co.uk/?page=deposit

Are those the details of a real account to electronically transfer money to? If so, the bank name is currently stated as "Llyods TSB". And who is Mr Taaki? Being ultra paranoid.

Lloyds TSB is a UK bank. Mr Taaki is genjix, I assume he's just using his personal account to handle all the withdrawals and deposits at the moment. Don't be paranoid, I've used them a few times and there's been no issues, apart from a delayed withdrawal from yesterday that hasn't gone in yet.
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 08:48:59 PM

Further thoughts from a Bitcoin noob working his way through Britcoin. Need to post it now, while I'm still in the mindset.

So last night I transferred a fair amount of cash into the Britcoin account. Here's my thinking as I progressed from there:

"Right, it's been 24 hours let's go check. OK, login with OpenId, oh 'Welcome back, commander' (very Elite - me like) and wahey - my funds have cleared! Nice work genjix."

"Now what? Um... Order book? Lots of listings there so I just click where to place the order.... um... er... help <click>"

So it's all done from the front page. I type in how much of what I want and it works out the order based on the best available rate. Righto...

"<Tappity tap> Tarnation! The rate's moved and I've just lost out on 6BTC in 24 hours. Mutter, mutter, pesky miners introducing scarcity, mutter. Buy, buy, buy, bye, bye. <Click>."

Let's see what happens next.

So from the above it would seem that having a "Place order" above the order book would be useful. I wasn't really expecting to have to do any work from the home page, that's normally associated with a bit of marketing fluff. Although it would probably involve a redesign of the layout, I'd expect to see a "Place order" box prominently displayed on every page (perhaps on the left in a column).

Thanks again for putting the site together and for handling my transaction smoothly - much appreciated. So far no problems at all. Great service.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: