Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:58:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 67 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet hacking is it possible?  (Read 29598 times)
niky (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 08:48:49 PM

Just like an account where one's fiat currencies are kept so also is wallet where digital assets or cryptocurrencies of crypto lovers are kept. Can the wallet be vulnerable to hacking and if possible how can that happen? If you have experienced it before, I want to learn from your experience.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tazmannia

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 08:28:17 PM

Talk about the security of crypto currencies many times. And with confidence at 99.99% I can say that bitcoin is impossible to crack. Say don't know how true this is, a quantum computer can only break such a security system. But as far as I know, there are 2 such computers. One in America, the other in Russia. Perhaps there are in other countries, but the media have not talked about them.
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 08:33:38 PM

ALL wallets are vulnerable to hacking in different ways if they are not setup and used correctly..

It sounds like you are talking about a web wallet, a wallet on a website.
These are very vulnerable to hacking just the same as exchanges are. They can be hacked by hacking the website itself, ot hacking your computer to get your login details, or phishing you..
They definately are NOT unhackable..

Then you have desktop and mobile wallets..
Besides possible volnerabilities in their code they are only as safe as your device.. So if they can hack your device they can get your coins..
Even if you encrypt the wallet they could still get you with a keylogger or something..
Your device's security is in your hands..

Then you have "cold" wallets.. They can be quite unhackable if done right but you have to do them right..
If your seed or priv key are saved on a machine that the internet can touch, then they are hackable..
If you create them on a machine that was possibly infected or connected to the internet, they are hackable..
They are only unhackable if done right..

Then their are hardware wallets like the ledger and trezor..
Unhackable you might say right?
Well probably if you save your seed offline like write it down on paper, but if you save your seed in a file on a computer that is connected to the internet they can getcha....
Also, a lot of people STILL get hacked using these by trying to claim forks with scam wallets!!!
So you still have to watch what you do..

My choice is the Ledger hardware wallet but I am still very suspicious of the chrome app, and it needing "updates" all the time spooks me..
Seed written on physical paper..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
bttmember

Activity: 938
Merit: 13

AMEPAY

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 08:35:51 PM

Yes wallets can be hacked but it requires some sort of carelessness from wallet owner as well, i think if you upload your private key or password at some phishing link or store your data at some unsafe place online your wallet can be hacked.

boy130

Activity: 616
Merit: 263

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 08:57:28 PM

Yes, I very much support the answers provided already. Supposedly, the wallet should be safe but like anything else hackers evolve and so does technology so one can never exclude the possibility of being hacked though at this time it would be expensive and would require lot of effort.
Welckomtome

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 08:58:31 PM

Just like an account where one's fiat currencies are kept so also is wallet where digital assets or cryptocurrencies of crypto lovers are kept. Can the wallet be vulnerable to hacking and if possible how can that happen? If you have experienced it before, I want to learn from your experience.
it is but if you protect your wallet you will jot hage to face such problems so you jeed to work on this and i wish you good luck
Welckomtome

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 08:59:24 PM

Yes, I very much support the answers provided already. Supposedly, the wallet should be safe but like anything else hackers evolve and so does technology so one can never exclude the possibility of being hacked though at this time it would be expensive and would require lot of effort.
i heard that myetherwallet is fine but i have never used it myself so i do not have enough knowledge to share with you
Reatim

Activity: 2828
Merit: 359

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:02:53 PM

Yes, wallet hacks is also prone in crypto verse, here are few examples on how a wallet can be compromised:

1. If you click un-trusted souce. Usually you will get it thru your email, its called Phishing
2. if you click something on the internet.
3. google ads-on for crypto. Sometimes hackers also exploited vulnerabilities on those software
4. you used phishing site. There's a lot of cloned sites that imitate MeW so be careful.
5. Of course sharing your privatekeys to someone.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
BETAWI

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:08:20 PM

Sometimes our own mistakes can result in hacking the wallet on the website, which you might mean. But it all depends on how we react or anticipate the crime of hacking. Don't let that happen, because it's very detrimental. Please always be alert!
ivanklich

Activity: 199
Merit: 10

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:16:53 PM

Wallets can be hacked, but this is often the fault of the owners. Owners forget about simple safety precautions. I would advise you to use a hardware wallet if you are afraid for your funds.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
shakesbear

Activity: 684

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:26:43 PM

Follow the basic safety rules in the network, use the official software, I have enough. If you have the time and enthusiasm you can examine more deeply.

░░▒▒▓▓▓▓▓************** DFINANCE is New Age of DEFI **************▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░░
░░▒▒▓▓▓▓* Bitcointalk ▐  TwitterReddit ▐  Telegram ▐  Github ▐  Discord *▓▓▓▓▒▒░░
░░▒▒▓▓▓** A Non-Code Platform for Decentralized Trading Instruments **▓▓▓▒▒░░
delton22

Activity: 345

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2018, 09:32:33 PM

i heard that myetherwallet is fine but i have never used it myself so i do not have enough knowledge to share with you

Myetherwallet is really a nice wallet to use, though some people get hacked whn trying to access the website. The reason is because they are accessing a phishing website which is not mywtherwallet.com. So in order to be sure of your security please check your URL. Secondly if you don't want to be accessing the website, you can import your private key into another ERC-20 Compatible wallet such as Eidoo and imtoken. Hope this would help
aldencio

Activity: 218
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:33:26 PM

it is pretty possible that is why you jeed to be careful and watch for your malware protection i hope you will jever face it

Data✘chain | Blockchain Based Decentralized Data Trade Service
http://dataxchain.org/ico/main/
anatolij.shishkin
Copper Member

Activity: 995

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:35:54 PM

I came across such information that some extensions to chrome may not be safe. There, in the description, there is a licensing contract. Which usually is not someone who does not read. And it indicates that the extension collects data.

And if the extension is compromised, your data will fall into the hands of hackers.

BitDane

Activity: 1372
Merit: 348

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2018, 09:46:07 PM

Absolutely Yes! All wallets that are connected to the internet are vulnerable to hacking and we should be very careful about using it. While some of the wallets are based on Blockchain Technology now and other wallets strengthen their security features, they are also subject for hacking but the hacker will have a very hard-time to hack them so I guess If it is not worthy of their time and effort to hack it, they will not bother to do it. Besides, some wallets with huge amounts are usually stored offline or even done as a paper wallet.
becak mesin

Activity: 163

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:50:50 PM

If you mean hack that is someone get access to your accounts, it is probably your private key has was stolen as others password. Therefore, to prevent and anticipate hack or someone gets hold of your encrypted password private key, make sure you have a back up.

Crypto-Court
Universal Cryptocurrency Platform
https://cryptocourt.online/
Kcryptonite

Activity: 77

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:55:46 PM

I know of Desktop wallet that can be hacked if the coding of the wallet has a breach or something. I mostly use desktop wallets and i heard last time that a wallet of a coin copied private keys of other wallets on the desktop. So that is another way of getting hacked i guess.
pazzanegro

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2018, 09:56:36 PM

I believe everything is possible for genius programmers and other talented people who have influence on the world wide web. If now they can't make it, after some time they will make it

GAMEHERO.APP CEO
mostkey

Activity: 742
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 09:57:31 PM

It is a problem experienced by people who do not pay attention to security and carelessness in something, such as using too many public networks, it is very risky to be hacked if a country is a crypto user, entering the site carelessly leading to damage to a computer or cellphone system, it's simple but we never pay attention correctly, that security is all in ourselves because we are full and responsible for our crypto asset wallet.

Myetherwallet is really a nice wallet to use, though some people get hacked whn trying to access the website. The reason is because they are accessing a phishing website which is not mywtherwallet.com. So in order to be sure of your security please check your URL. Secondly if you don't want to be accessing the website, you can import your private key into another ERC-20 Compatible wallet such as Eidoo and imtoken. Hope this would help
yes i have heard only good re iews about it and i am thinking about starting to use it as this seems to be a great protector
I have never had a problem with Myetherwallet as long as I use it, it's a very good site if we are good at using it, every time they update, they always publish it, it's very good, Myetherwallet theft is because they entered the pishing site and I got their party's statement that they have no problems but sites that resemble Myetherwall do exist to take all our money.
CoinCowgirl

Activity: 277

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 10:00:30 PM

Yes, it is possible. In my case they first have hacking my pc. After that, they changes my passwords and stole my keys. Allmost all of my coins are gone....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 67 »
  Print  

Jump to: